• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC 4 was incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Ldk+Dmd or Gmd is single handedly the most brutal and fun challenge in DMC history , you gotta love it and being able to play as dante in nero missions.

I hope gmd ldk and.turbo mode are in the special edition and if it had debug mode which i doubt but if so that would be insane.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
''What has happened, is members reporting me for basically nothing claiming I'm doing stuff that's ban worthy just because they have it out for me, and they don't have a case.''

Naah, you've only called almost all criticism of DmC 'hating' in that thread 'why the hate', and I think some other threads too. Bashed the main character from Bayonetta (and pretty much everything else about the game, without giving any arguments) in a thread that was about Bayonetta's sales and nothing else. Bashed MGR and basically called everyone who liked it idiots too, I think.
It's hard to believe you don't realize that people do take these things personally. Gamers often identify with game characters... so when somebody starts bashing them they will feel offended if they don't hear any arguments, only ''Bayonetta's a skank'' and stuff, and when opinions are stated as though they were law. Besides, ridiculing opinions is not a good idea: refute, don't bash.
You always respond to criticism by calling it bashing, and proceed to 'counter-bash'. And if you don't like what others have to say, you put them on ignore - I wouldn't be surprised if you've done that with 80% of the forum. You call other people's opinions jokes without explaining, and then when they get angry, you blame their anger on them. Sometimes when people ask you for explanations, you write some passive-aggressive things about how people don't understand. If you want people to understand, you should explain instead of acting like everything you say is beyond others' grasp.

If I could find everything you said back when people still felt angry about DmC (and when 2/3 people bashed DMC4 and Platinum's games or even Japanese developers -- which is funny considering one of them might not have played or finished DMC4), you might finally realize the severity.
No offense intended, but if you can't help but feel insulted and angry about everything, leave the thread.

As for DMC4, I guess you could say it was unfinished. I'm pretty sure Dante was supposed to have multiple DT forms, they didn't just put that into the concept art for the kicks. Dante was supposed to have his own levels in hell, but they rehashed Nero's levels to help get DMC4 out in time. I'd say DMC4 qualifies as unfinished, at least in a sense.
Still, the gameplay was pretty awesome (and it wasn't even tested much). The change in writer(s) could be interesting too. Without Bingo Morihashi, they might return to a more DMC1-like story, or something new altogether. It's worrying but exciting at the same time.
DmC didn't do much for me gameplay-wise. Kind of clunky controls, half of DMC4's amount of combos, restrictive gameplay, boring platforming that consisted of pressing one button over and over again while staring at the end of the level (all the while not encountering enemies), a lame Devil Trigger... etc etc. Yeah, it's getting improved, but the asinine story with half-assed social commentary, boring Dante and annoying (sometimes useless) characters remain. I'm waiting for DMC5, because it could be great if Capcom's got enough time to make it as good or better than DMC3 was. If a one-year development time was enough to create a decent game (DMC4), imagine what three years or so would do.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
After a quick glance at the responses generated by Chancey's little page of input from earlier, it has to be said...some of you on this forum are a little too sensitive in receiving opinions on Devil May Cry. Even if he was trashing the game, it's still his opinion on the matter...not a claim to fact, and not a personal attack on anybody's taste: just his opinion. If a person says "this is a **** game", it doesn't automatically translate to: "everyone who likes this game is a casual butt-muncher with no real taste in gaming." If there's really this much aggravation over a simple jab at DMC4, well...damn, how many heart-attacks and sezires was I unintentionally responsible for when I typed up that Congressional Document on why I hate DMC3?

I still hold 4 as my favorite in the series, and even I agree with him on the game having the potential to be a lot better.

Even if the gameplay was the tightest and slickest, it doesn't change the back-tracking, the absence of individual levels for Dante, the absence of styles or equal combat depth for Nero, the seemingly-botched variety of enemies with recycled actions and movements from past games, the rehashed bosses, the rehashed puzzles, and a story and characters that, well...were, in all honesty, only slightly better-executed than past games, but still a wooden, lifeless, predictable, wasted-opportunity of a plot.

For all of Kobayashi's efforts to make it the self-proclaimed "most cinematic game in the series, with cutscenes and characters so engaging that it could be ported seamlessly to movie format and pass off as a Devil May Cry feature film" (a claim that still sends my sides into low-level orbit even to this day), it fell short of its potential of being a great game, and fell to abysmal status of an "okay" game.

Other than my personal enjoyment and nostalgia, the only thing DMC4 did was provide Hideki Kamiya the research he needed (and publicly admitted to using) for the Bayonetta franchise: a pair of games that feel more complete and fine-tuned than DMC4 ever hoped to be.

Meg

After a quick glance at the responses generated by Chancey's little page of input from earlier, it has to be said...some of you on this forum are a little too sensitive in receiving opinions on Devil May Cry. Even if he was trashing the game, it's still his opinion on the matter...not a claim to fact, and not a personal attack on anybody's taste: just his opinion. If a person says "this is a **** game", it doesn't automatically translate to: "everyone who likes this game is a casual butt-muncher with no real taste in gaming." If there's really this much aggravation over a simple jab at DMC4, well...damn, how many heart-attacks and sezires was I unintentionally responsible for when I typed up that Congressional Document on why I hate DMC3?
One of the few sensible things said in this thread.

Honestly, this whole thing started because Chancey dared to voice his blunt opinion on DMC4. Who honestly cares if he bashes it? Also, I'm tired of seeing posts get reported where all the person did was bash a video game. That is not flame baiting or trolling. Saying you think DMC4 sucks or DmC is crap or whatever is not flame baiting. If you are that personally offended by someone hating on a game you love, then get thicker skin. An attack on something you love is not an attack on you. Someone saying "this game sucks" is different from "you're an idiot for liking this game." The former is fine. The latter should get reported.

It's really that simple.

EDIT:

@Lord Nero Wasn't necessary for you to bring everything back up after the thread had moved on. What happened to ignoring Chancey like we talked about?

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
You'll have to excuse Chancey. He's using hyperbole, according to him.

Everyone else is childish except for him.

Hyperbole, guys!

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Thank you @Meg @WolfOD64.

And I don't remember me ever calling the people who play MGR or Bayonetta idiots. I voiced criticism, like I do lots of things I even really like, but I'm still also a fan of Bayonetta and MGR. I own both of the games. I'm going buy Bayonetta 2 in the coming weeks as well.

*shrugs*

Whatever then.

scionicspectre

So, not sure if his has been brought up extensively, but I do see a lot of people taking the concept art and a few deveoper comments much further than reason would have you believe.

That is, the entire point of early development is to prototype things and see what fits and what needs to be cut away to keep the game balanced and focused. It's very likely that Nero's devil trigger was later adapted to be more reasonable and fit the story of the game. Just because something that was discussed or conceptualized early on doesn't make it into a game doesn't mean that's 'the way it was meant to be'. In fact, it may very well mean that it didn't work, so they came up with what they considered to be a more plausible or fitting idea that became the way it was meant to be.

I can't say one way or the other, but I can say that many of the projects I've researched or worked on have started out quite grandiose and overbearing, only to then become more concise and focused, intentionally leaving behind many extraneous bits as a result.

Of course, the fact that the game had such a short development period does imply that at least a few things were cut out. This does not, however, justify the assumption that all concept art or discussions were meant for a final revision of the game- that just doesn't make any sense. It could well be that there are copious amounts of unseen concepts and story ideas that they were scrapped long before game development began in earnest.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that it's a natural part of game development and you shouldn't feel cheated out of large portions of a game that wouldn't have been made, regardless of resources. The author of the original video that started this post certainly goes much further than reason dictates when they suppose more than 13 devil arms should have been available in a complete version of the game. I think the plan for Dante's journey happening mostly in Hell makes the most sense since I can easily see his removal from the human world during his missions not making an impact, except for getting Yamato to Nero. Even still, it's possible that the choice to avoid this was deliberate regardless of time constraints- we simply can't assume one way or the other. By all means, feed your imagination, but it may be harmful to do so with the intention of feeling cheated out of what it comes up with.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014

You know for somebody who starts argument as soon somebody criticizes DmC, it sounds awfully like double standards. We either can trash talk ANY game of franchise, or we keep our mouthes shut for ALL of them. It doesn't work when one persons complains all over the forum about how his favorite game is unjustly bashed and than runs to another page to bash his hated game. It's funny that "justified bashing" applies only to older franchise and everything considered reboot considered "hating".

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
It's always DMC vs DmC with you people jeez -_-
It has nothing to do with DMC vs. DmC. It has to do with that if bashing considered normal here, people should deal not only with DMC bashing but also with DmC's and stop all that "hating" talk nonsense. OR find a middleground and stop bashing whatever you don't like.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
^ GuyWhoDoesExactlyWhatHe'sSpeakingOutAgainstAllTheTimeSayWhat?

And DmC is not my favorite game, by far. Not even my favorite in the series. I couldn't care less if you hate it. I don't get personally offended when people are bashing a stupid video game or video game character. That's just stupid.

The irony is strong in this one.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It has nothing to do with DMC vs. DmC. It has to do with that if bashing considered normal here, people should deal not only with DMC bashing but also with DmC's and stop all that "hating" talk nonsense. OR find a middleground and stop bashing whatever you don't like.

jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up.gif

And with that, I bid you goodbye

Viper

Premium
*shrugs* There is a whole lot on both sides of above argument I'd like to punch in the nose, so I'll just add that ****ing on something people like is by extension ****ing on them, so anyone who is capable of having emotions will sooner or later get upset. Old series and reboot is a very sensitive subject, so if you can't talk without anger and attitude in your words, don't talk at all.

That said, as soon as bro's kids get back to school I'll borrow his console and play the hell out of DMC4. I might think of all things I heard and how it could have changed this or that, but overall I plan to have nothing but fun, make the best of what I got while I wait to see what they'll do with SE.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
One of the few sensible things said in this thread.

Honestly, this whole thing started because Chancey dared to voice his blunt opinion on DMC4. Who honestly cares if he bashes it? Also, I'm tired of seeing posts get reported where all the person did was bash a video game. That is not flame baiting or trolling. Saying you think DMC4 sucks or DmC is crap or whatever is not flame baiting. If you are that personally offended by someone hating on a game you love, then get thicker skin. An attack on something you love is not an attack on you. Someone saying "this game sucks" is different from "you're an idiot for liking this game." The former is fine. The latter should get reported.

It's really that simple.

EDIT:

@Lord Nero Wasn't necessary for you to bring everything back up after the thread had moved on. What happened to ignoring Chancey like we talked about?
Sorry, couldn't help it. I saw huge walls of text from other users and started wondering what all the hubbub was about. If I see comments like those, I will voice my views on them. It wasn't a quote, so if he wants to reply, that's his problem. If he's ignoring me, I don't see the problem, unless people keep relaying everything I say to him. If they are, they should stop doing that. I'm not saying all that just for him, I'm pointing stuff out to the forum.

Who cares if he bashes games and people's opinions?
Who cares if he assaults people, because he makes them angry and then gets angrier himself because of their anger? Man, all of this just gets ignored because I can't find his old hateful comments -- due to many threads not even existing anymore and things being hard to find because there's like ten million comments spread out over friggin 5000 threads I need to pick the bad ones from. I'm not saying this hating happens often nowadays, in fact it's gotten a lot better. But that doesn't excuse the cases in which it happens.
I know you're thoughtful, Meg, I respect many of your views. I think we shouldn't let this get to our heads, but that said, I have the right to voice my opinion on it.
''Get thicker skin''... yeah, or just stop the hating (the source of the problems) - that would make the forum a whole lot less aggravating. Many people can't get thicker skin: that's the point, we all have boundaries, and sometimes they're crossed. That's not our problem, it's the haters' problem. As for reporting everything that's even slightly offensive, I'm not for that. That gives mods unnecessary amounts of work on their hands.

I didn't insult or anything, I'm just trying to show how his behavior is unnecessary and hateful/spiteful. Like Foxtrot said, it's not even always what he says, it's how he says it.

But carry on with the actual topic. My goal was to make one comment, not to get into an argument. None of us need to bring this stuff up again.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You know, those kind of despising comments shouldn't be made at all. Aside from all the hating BS, there are multiple ways to express an opinion. I can't stand Chancey's way (talking about him cause he made the comment in question here, I'm not saying he's the only one) of expressiong negative opinions, not because of butthurting and that kind of stuff, but because it makes the forum a lot less enjoyable, livable. I mean, it can't be possible that people (newcomers or not) need to be ""afraid"" of posting anything or opening threads because they already know there are gonna be some people ready to ruin the atmosphere with their way of posting comments. Negative opinions should be posted, yes, but if there is a polite way and an impolite one, why choose the latter?
If someone gets offended or annoyed by the uncordiality of a comment (regardless if he/she is insulted or not), nothing strange or wrong with it, it's normal.

On topic, some of the things in the artbook are interesting indeed, and suggest that the game is unfinished. Like Nero's and Dante's DT. I think it's possible, looking at those arts, that they were meant to get more features, especially about Dante. For example, the DT shaping based on the equipped Devil Arm.

On a side note, those DT forms for Nero and Dante are super awesome, I prefer them to what we got (although I like DMC4 Dante's DT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom