• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC 4 was incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda

I dont know if this has been posted by anyone else, but all of you should hear this guy. Maybethe special edition would be the complete edition of the game.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
That guy summarizes it all really well. There was a thread about this too, about what was planned to be in DMC4 but never made the cut.

When you think about it, this game could've been absolutely excellent. DMC4 is still a great game, even with the backtracking with Dante, so imagine how amazing it would've been if Dante was the person he was planned to be (probably a bit more somber). He also would've probably gone insane for a while, while Nero was supposed to calm him down. Going through hell and fighting Mundus's generals... that story is great, and it could've continued the DMC storyline (I guess after DMC2). Instead, we got saddled with Sanctus, a random priest who wanted to control the world with demons.

Nero was probably meant to indeed have a full Devil Trigger, but for some reason, they decided to go with a new story that created the Devil Bringer arm. I always suspected that Nero wasn't supposed to have just a blue floating apparition behind him, and it seems even the DB might not've been planned. I heard Kobayashi didn't approve of some ideas, and they needed to overhaul almost everything. Their development time was also halved for some reason, from two years to one year. It's amazing DMC4 still managed to be so good.

Just like him, I hope DMC4 SE will amend the original game. That said, it's only a Special Edition, not a Definitive Edition like they call the changes to DmC... so I'm not expecting much to change. And honestly, it doesn't matter, I still thought DMC4 was great - they just need to apply their old ideas to DMC5 and make sure they've got a long enough development time. If they have the freedom and development time to implement and refine all their ideas, DMC5 could be incredible.

DeamonslayeR

I believe that if there will be a 5 th installment i want it to be after dmc4 not dmc2 because there are alot of unanswered questions, even more than dmc2's that need to be explored so i hope they do that and explain everything right.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I agree they need to bridge the gap between 4 and 2 showing why dante loses his cockyness, how he gains the majin trigger and where lady trish and nero are. A good idea for how majin form is unlocked is maybe by a demon general killing patty and dante is so overcome with rage he goes majin amd wipes out a town from the blast and then obliterates the general with one shot .

Then you could set DMC2 a good few years later and have the change in his personality caused by lady dying while demon hunting due to being older and slowing down.

berto

I Saw the Devil

I dont know if this has been posted by anyone else, but all of you should hear this guy. Maybethe special edition would be the complete edition of the game.
I saw that video. Let me tell you now, though, that's not going to happen. 6 years, yes, it's a long time to plan, but there will never be a game that gets restructured and rebuild for a re release at the level we are sudgesting, and not one that sold the numbers of DMC4 (I know it's the highest grossing game in the franchise, statement stands). You will get additions, you will get refinements, and you will get improvements, but you will not get an entire second half of a game that wasn't there before.

Here's my prediction. It's what I think we'll get just knowing the game is on the way; The game is going to feature Vergil and his own stages in Fortuna. We might get one extra weapon for Nero. They might re-tune the combat but I doubt it. There might be more stages, one or two, for the game but no major overhauls of the game's level structure.

DeamonslayeR

I saw that video. Let me tell you now, though, that's not going to happen. 6 years, yes, it's a long time to plan, but there will never be a game that gets restructured and rebuild for a re release at the level we are sudgesting, and not one that sold the numbers of DMC4 (I know it's the highest grossing game in the franchise, statement stands). You will get additions, you will get refinements, and you will get improvements, but you will not get an entire second half of a game that wasn't there before.

Here's my prediction. It's what I think we'll get just knowing the game is on the way; The game is going to feature Vergil and his own stages in Fortuna. We might get one extra weapon for Nero. They might re-tune the combat but I doubt it. There might be more stages, one or two, for the game but no major overhauls of the game's level structure.
Oh i agree there wouldnt be all the content missing included in the new version but seeing that there is maybe tons of data lying around somewhere lets assume that for a moment, it can all be easily put in the game now and we dont even know how long capcom has been working on this plus if it did have vergil with some new moves and stuff copy pasted on to the game they'd atleast show us that in the teaser but they didnt meaning there not ready to show some stuff where as the first trailer i saw way back in 2006 for dmc3 se was short but had gameplay just to show that they put vergil in everything else was the same. I think capcom is making some changes and waiting for the right time to reveal it..atleast thats wgat i hope but its all a matter of different perspective

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
That guy summarizes it all really well. There was a thread about this too, about what was planned to be in DMC4 but never made the cut.

When you think about it, this game could've been absolutely excellent. DMC4 is still a great game, even with the backtracking with Dante, so imagine how amazing it would've been if Dante was the person he was planned to be (probably a bit more somber). He also would've probably gone insane for a while, while Nero was supposed to calm him down. Going through hell and fighting Mundus's generals... that story is great, and it could've continued the DMC storyline (I guess after DMC2). Instead, we got saddled with Sanctus, a random priest who wanted to control the world with demons.

Nero was probably meant to indeed have a full Devil Trigger, but for some reason, they decided to go with a new story that created the Devil Bringer arm. I always suspected that Nero wasn't supposed to have just a blue floating apparition behind him, and it seems even the DB might not've been planned. I heard Kobayashi didn't approve of some ideas, and they needed to overhaul almost everything. Their development time was also halved for some reason, from two years to one year. It's amazing DMC4 still managed to be so good.

Just like him, I hope DMC4 SE will amend the original game. That said, it's only a Special Edition, not a Definitive Edition like they call the changes to DmC... so I'm not expecting much to change. And honestly, it doesn't matter, I still thought DMC4 was great - they just need to apply their old ideas to DMC5 and make sure they've got a long enough development time. If they have the freedom and development time to implement and refine all their ideas, DMC5 could be incredible.
I'm not going to believe some random Youtuber who has not backed up anything he said with sources and has seemed to have just come up with arbitrary numbers and explanations trying to justify why DMC 4 was poop.

I've asked time and time again from these alleged sources that DMC 4 was incomplete and it has NEVER popped up. I even went around googling the hell out of this and found NOTHING. From what I picked up, their development on 4 was fine in general. Sure, developer diaries have brought to light some things that were cut, but not many things that would probably suffice for an entirely different game. And every game goes through development processes that have cut concepts and ideas. DmC originally was something entirely different with its early concept arts and designs, not only being something more in line with the originals because they thought they were originally doing a 5th game, but the whole Sons of Anarchy vibe going on with the dark and gritty biker looks. There's evidence for this stuff.

I haven't come across any evidence of DMC 4 being the product I was hoping it could be. Seems to me a lot of people are making these excuses to try and somehow justify the crap fest that was DMC 4.

Well, I LIKE Devil May Cry and I won't make those BS excuses. Because I'd only want something I like to be even better. DMC 4 was something that could have been better and it wasn't. It wasn't great. That's the story and I'm sticking to it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm not going to believe some random Youtuber who has not backed up anything he said with sources and has seemed to have just come up with arbitrary numbers and explanations trying to justify why DMC 4 was poop.

I've asked time and time again from these alleged sources that DMC 4 was incomplete and it has NEVER popped up. I even went around googling the hell out of this and found NOTHING. From what I picked up, their development on 4 was fine in general. Sure, developer diaries have brought to light some things that were cut, but not many things that would probably suffice for an entirely different game. And every game goes through development processes that have cut concepts and ideas. DmC originally was something entirely different with its early concept arts and designs, not only being something more in line with the originals because they thought they were originally doing a 5th game, but the whole Sons of Anarchy vibe going on with the dark and gritty biker looks. There's evidence for this stuff.

I haven't come across any evidence of DMC 4 being the product I was hoping it could be. Seems to me a lot of people are making these excuses to try and somehow justify the crap fest that was DMC 4.

Well, I LIKE Devil May Cry and I won't make those BS excuses. Because I'd only want something I like to be even better. DMC 4 was something that could have been better and it wasn't. It wasn't great. That's the story and I'm sticking to it.
Dude, it's been 6 years, how are expecting those things to still be around?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Dude, it's been 6 years, how are expecting those things to still be around?
The internet doesn't just lose information like that. We can all still pull up year old articles that are even older than that. And you also act like I wasn't around or wasn't a Devil May Cry fan when 4 came out. I was there and I bought 4 within the first month of release.

Which is why I also don't get how the overall consensus of DMC 4 suddenly changed. For the most part, people were disappointed with it and said it sucked. When DmC showed up, people suddenly praised it like hell. Whatever.

Those articles and developer claims don't exist unless I'm given the evidence. I've never seen that evidence whatsoever. I'm tired of this BS.

I've been a Devil May Cry fan since the inception. I know the ins and outs of this series and everything that went down during its lifetime. Don't BS me.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The internet doesn't just lose information like that. We can all still pull up year old articles that are even older than that.
Oh, yes they do. If something doesn't get much in the way of traffic things 404. It's not even rare. As an Evangelion and Devil May Cry fan I know alot of things have disappeared from the internet.

And you also act like I wasn't around or wasn't a Devil May Cry fan when 4 came out. I was there and I bought 4 within the first month of release.
Ok, no one said that nor did I imply it.

Which is why I also don't get how the overall consensus of DMC 4 suddenly changed. For the most part, people were disappointed with it and said it sucked. When DmC showed up, people suddenly praised it like hell. Whatever.
No it didn't. People have always liked DMC4 but it wasn't universal, some people liked it, some (like yours truly) didn't. What you are seeing is a resurfacing of people who did like who are posting more on the subject, not a sudden change of opinions. Since it's the internet I'm guessing you aren't looking at users, just comments, it's how it goes.

Those articles and developer claims don't exist unless I'm given the evidence. I've never seen that evidence whatsoever. I'm tired of this BS.
Then don't believe it, it's ok. I've seen it, it was years ago but that was at Devil's Lair or IGN or 4chan and the users who brought it up no longer post there or anywhere I've seen. So, sorry, it's gone. You don't have to believe it, no one's pulling a gun to your head to make you.

I repeat, if you don't want to believe it you don't have to, we got no way to prove it to you. However, when we talk about it and say that it is a certain way it's in no way us forcing you to believe that it so, it's just us talking about the subject. You've made your position clear, great, and we will go on operating with what we know and you can also go on doing the same.

I've been a Devil May Cry fan since the inception. I know the ins and outs of this series and everything that went down during its lifetime. Don't BS me.
Yeah, and I can make the same claim, not sure what it proves but what I can tell you we are not trying to 'BS you.'

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
And you also act like I wasn't around or wasn't a Devil May Cry fan when 4 came out.
In his defense, he didn't act like that.

Everything else though, I can sort of see where you're coming from.

Edit:
DMC 4 was something that could have been better and it wasn't. It wasn't great. That's the story and I'm sticking to it.
I absolutely understand this. This is my position as well.

I won't make excuses for something that was delayed time and time again (it was originally supposed to be released in early 2007 when it was announced in early 2005) you know?

I'm just going to admit that the devs deliberately slacked off this time around (due to the fact that the last-gen PS3/360 hardware wasn't easily understood and they simply couldn't do everything they wanted to in time).

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I agree they need to bridge the gap between 4 and 2 showing why dante loses his cockyness, how he gains the majin trigger and where lady trish and nero are. A good idea for how majin form is unlocked is maybe by a demon general killing patty and dante is so overcome with rage he goes majin amd wipes out a town from the blast and then obliterates the general with one shot .

Then you could set DMC2 a good few years later and have the change in his personality caused by lady dying while demon hunting due to being older and slowing down.

I don't think they will make something acting as a link to DMC2 at all. Capcom tends to completely ignore that game and acts as it never existed. Just to let you understand how Capcom treats it, I'll tell you this: during the casting for DMC4, they told Johnny Bosch and Reuben Langdon the entire story of DMC, to give them an overall awareness of the world and their characters. As Reuben called it, a "school of Devil May Cry". Well, Reuben also said that they deliberately didn't even mention DMC2 during that. So yeah, I doubt they will make anything even remotely DMC2 related :\

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Sorry, mate, but what I've heard some years before was exactly that: Dante would kill his companions, disappear from the face of Earth and just reappear at DMC2 .
Reuben was just giving his opinion: to be sincere he doesn't know Dante very well and he demonstrated it a lot of times, even things that were already canon. DMC 2 is canon and it's recognized in almost artbook, in DMC history, even in the late Capcom artbook, so just take all the" Capcom does not recognize DMC2 "as a rumour, an evil intentioned one for that matter.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Sorry, mate, but what I've heard some years before was exactly that: Dante would kill his companions, disappear from the face of Earth and just reappear at DMC2 .
Reuben was just giving his opinion: to be sincere he doesn't know Dante very well and he demonstrated it a lot of times, even things that were already canon. DMC 2 is canon and it's recognized in almost artbook, in DMC history, even in the late Capcom artbook, so just take all the" Capcom does not recognize DMC2 "as a rumour, an evil intentioned one for that matter.

That's not an opinion, it's what happened during the casting. Even Johnny Bosch and Dan Southworth said that (Dan was in the cast too, he mocapped Credo). He said he also asked Itsuno why he hadn't mentioned DMC2 at all, and Itsuno replied that he was not pride of his work on that game, and considers it a black stain on his curriculum.
Reuben and Johnny had to do their own little research on DMC2, cause Capcom wouldn't acknowledge that game and give them info about it.

I'm not saying it's not canon, dude, I'm saying that Capcom ignores it for the most part, and therefore I doubt that DMC4 SE will have any content linked to DMC2.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Ah, that changes the thing itself: Itsuno does not like his work, so he does not admit it( let us be honest, he arrived to late to DMC2 crew, so there was very little he could do to change that ), but officially DMC2 is canon and DMC4 was planned to serve as a link to DMC2( 0r a link to a possible DMC5)

PS: @Chancey289, that thing about links become 404 is true, some months ago I put here a link proving Capcom had planned a Vergil or Lady spin off, but that link by now is already a 404.
Believe on me, if it wasn't for the 404 ghost, I would bring here a much more interesting things.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Ah, that changes the thing itself: Itsuno does not like his work, so he does not admit it( let us be honest, he arrived to late to DMC2 crew, so there was very little he could do to change that ), but officially DMC2 is canon and DMC4 was planned to serve as a link to DMC2( 0r a link to a possible DMC5)

Yes, indeed Itsuno actually told Reuben that he arrived too late into the project and he couldn't do much, but he still refuses to acknowledge the game.

As I said in my previous post, I'm not saying it's not canon.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Indeed, it's called a Special Edition for a reason. There's no way they're going to overhaul the entire game, replacing old things with new things. They can add things, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't even legally allowed to change DMC4: it was a finished product from 2008. To suddenly essentially remake it in 2015... naah.
At best, Vergil will be added, he'll get maybe five missions and some new combos, and that's it. It's about Vergil. Nero's not necessarily involved in the SE, so I actually doubt Capcom will give him new weapons.

But, it doesn't matter much to me. If they can explain Nero, his arm, and his connection to Vergil and/or Sparda in DMC5 while continuing the story of DMC, that's fine with me.
Capcom doesn't need to fix everything in a rush to bring out DMC4 SE. I'd rather see them do it right; with enough motivation, development time and resources in a new installment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom