• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"Why didn't you buy it?"

The Final Offer

steam sale, got it for like 8 dollars. Should have waited longer, it was on sale for like 3 for the capcom weekend sale. Ended up not liking the clunky and restrictive combat (blue and red enemies, floors, grapples, and shields, someone needs to be fired for turning this game into simon says) but I gave it a shot any way. Played through it once on all the difficulties, but haven't really felt the need to go back and replay it, never even bothered with vergil's DLC after seeing some gameplay videos of it. Vergils new animations are all really stiff and awkward looking, and I was pretty ****ed that they pigeonholed vergil of all characters into using the same "red light, blue light" grapple system that dante does.

Oh yeah, and I am like 110% done with having the camera zoom dramatically into the main character's angsty glaring face. I get that it's better than having a loading screen, but mix it up a little, jesus christ

Vergils animations were stiff?

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Vergils animations were stiff?

so way back in the day, I had a lengthy argument with sam D over vergil's animations, which led him to make the exact video you just linked. We never really came to an agreement in the sense that we decided which of us was "wrong" in their tastes, but we did eventually agree that we both had different criteria for what we liked in animations, and that we were both just seeing completely different things. Two people eat food off of the same plate: one person grabs an orange, the other one grabs a tomato. They both form different opinions about the dish. Which one is correct?

Yes, I can't stand new vergil's animations: they look stiff, he's got a rod up his back, and his sheathing animations look terrible whenever they bother to show them, and he spends so much time emphasizing his flappy wrist motions that he seems to completely forget about his legs and waist. But if those things aren't important to you, then obviously it's not a huge deal for you.

But that's like, just my opinion, man

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
My first DMC game was DMC2 and i rented it...and i absolutely loved it :D. than DMC3 came out and i bought it day 1. I played for few weeks non-stop. than i picked DMC1, was afraid that it would feel dated, but nope it felt amazing. Than I picked DMC4 day-one and also played it non-stop for couple of weeks.
Than DmC was announced....I didn't liked visual direction and story/characters, but I heard it should be good action game...So i picked it 1,5 months later for 20 bucks used, played it once..and decided to trade it to my buddy, because game made nothing right for me. So I got platinum and traded it for Orange box on Ps3 and never felt regret about it. In the end i ended up more disappointed by it, than i expected.

The Final Offer

so way back in the day, I had a lengthy argument with sam D over vergil's animations, which led him to make the exact video you just linked. We never really came to an agreement in the sense that we decided which of us was "wrong" in their tastes, but we did eventually agree that we both had different criteria for what we liked in animations, and that we were both just seeing completely different things. Two people eat food off of the same plate: one person grabs an orange, the other one grabs a tomato. They both form different opinions about the dish. Which one is correct?

Yes, I can't stand new vergil's animations: they look stiff, he's got a rod up his back, and his sheathing animations look terrible whenever they bother to show them, and he spends so much time emphasizing his flappy wrist motions that he seems to completely forget about his legs and waist. But if those things aren't important to you, then obviously it's not a huge deal for you.

But that's like, just my opinion, man

Dude'll say anything to bash DmC.

Back in the box with you.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
"You have no idea." :grumpy:
Wait... why?

Not questioning your taste bro, but I really would like to know why.

As for me, I guess I'll talk about the games (and why I put them in the order I did) for a third time, seeing as how you weren't here early enough for my first two.

I'll PM you if you're interested.

Kam

Dude'll say anything to bash DmC.

Back in the box with you.
are you crazy? Sam D was a pretty rabid fan of DmC, that's the entire reason we fought so hard. In the end he was one of the few sane DmC fans I've ever spoken to, and I'm actually kind of glad we fought the way we did because he managed to dislodge me from my firmly set , complete hate, and I managed to play the game and actually enjoy it a little. I mean, it's hard to bash on DmC's combat when you see some of the stuff that guy can do.

But I'll forever hate the style choices they made, especially with character design, weak story, and the attack animations for dante and vergil.

Kam

Funny story, I actually was going to wait on buying DMC3 on launch, because DMC2 still left a lukewarm taste in my mouth, and an even bigger hole in my wallet. But when DMC3 came out, I heard nothing but praise, and how it not only righted the wrongs of 2, but stood as the best game in the series.

So I bought it full-price and played it....

....and I returned it the same day.

The guy at the store, who had seen my buy it literally hours earlier, laughed and was like: "Damn, dude...you must've hated it." I just looked at him with a flat, serious expression, and shook my head.

"You have no idea." :grumpy:
if you're ever on the fence about anything that will also be released for PC, hold out for the steam sales. I keep pretty busy so if it's a game I'm not seriously dying to have, it's not hard to wait until the next summer/holiday sale when the games go for up to 90% off

have I mentioned steam is the best thing ever?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
if you're ever on the fence about anything that will also be released for PC, hold out for the steam sales. I keep pretty busy so if it's a game I'm not seriously dying to have, it's not hard to wait until the next summer/holiday sale when the games go for up to 90% off

have I mentioned steam is the best thing ever?
While that's an option I typically employ and recommend whole-heartedly as well, there are a number of factors that I must mention.

1. Waiting for Steam sales isn't always ideal, because of a problem some people (myself included) run into: PC Specs. While I understand it isn't recommended, I own a PC with an integrated graphics card---so most of the time, the challenge isn't finding a game that's cheap, it's finding a game that's cheap and can still run on my ****ty graphics card. Games like The Witcher 2 and Crysis 3 are on sale all the time...that doesn't mean I can run them. This usually forces me to get the game on a console, just for the promise of it running. It'll be on launch, and it'll be full-price, but at least I know my PS3 won't have any system requirements to fulfill.

Now, I'm aware of the obvious solution---upgrade to a better PC. Unfortunately, that option isn't available to me since my PC was mainly bought for work, so I have to make due with my ****ty Intel HD graphics card. But at least the processer is nice...

2. DMC3 was a particular example where the PC port was not only unannounced at the time of its release, but also had an abhorrent PC port when it finally got it. I'd rather pay full price for DMC2 than pay for that horribly-optimized collection of marred pixels and sluggish framerate.

Captain Xin

While that's an option I typically employ and recommend whole-heartedly as well, there are a number of factors that I must mention.

1. Waiting for Steam sales isn't always ideal, because of a problem some people (myself included) run into: PC Specs. While I understand it isn't recommended, I own a PC with an integrated graphics card---so most of the time, the challenge isn't finding a game that's cheap, it's finding a game that's cheap and can still run on my ****ty graphics card. Games like The Witcher 2 and Crysis 3 are on sale all the time...that doesn't mean I can run them. This usually forces me to get the game on a console, just for the promise of it running. It'll be on launch, and it'll be full-price, but at least I know my PS3 won't have any system requirements to fulfill.

Now, I'm aware of the obvious solution---upgrade to a better PC. Unfortunately, that option isn't available to me since my PC was mainly bought for work, so I have to make due with my ****ty Intel HD graphics card. But at least the processer is nice...

2. DMC3 was a particular example where the PC port was not only unannounced at the time of its release, but also had an abhorrent PC port when it finally got it. I'd rather pay full price for DMC2 than pay for that horribly-optimized collection of marred pixels and sluggish framerate.

I feel your pain, I made my way into last gen because I got an Xbox 360. Other than that?

Well, Hotline Miami worked pretty great on my laptop.:frown:

WolfOD64

Wait... why?

Not questioning your taste bro, but I really would like to know why.

As for me, I guess I'll talk about the games (and why I put them in the order I did) for a third time, seeing as how you weren't here early enough for my first two.

I'll PM you if you're interested.
Feel free to PM me about your opinion. I always like hearing about other people’s experience with the series, and see how it compares to mine.

ATTENTION: UNBRIDLED AND SENSELESS RANT INCOMING

Oh, God---Devil May Cry 3. Where do I even begin?

Well, for one thing, I actually played the game right after I played the very first Devil May Cry. I never found a copy of DMC2 in my local area, and thus was granted salvation from the monsoon of disappointment that engulfed the rest of the Devil May Cry fanbase. The buzz around this upcoming game reached my ears at a deafening, sub-atomic level. It was the redeeming entry, the return to form, the ultimate game that DMC1 and 2 should have always been. The hype around this game was like the sound of children screaming in unbridled excitement at the passing echo of a ringing ice-cream truck.

But upon playing, beating, and experiencing the game, I found that the game was not only a severe disappointment as a Devil May Cry game, it was a profound atrocity in every mistake it made solely as a game. I hated---no, I still hate this game with a pulsating vehemence that dwarfs the combined disdain for DMC2 and DmC combined.

There are elements about this game I utterly hated, and some elements I simply thought could’ve been done better. The latter would include the environments and soundtrack. The locales within the Teme-ni-gru just didn’t measure up to the lush Gothic interiors and sinister backdrops of the original game---it just seemed like a collection of bland, brown hallways and giant rooms with more space then attention to detail or design. The best levels in the game to me were the Leviathan Interior, and the Underworld Level. The music wasn’t terrible, it was just a mixed bag for me. While I loved tracks like “Dante’s Office” and “Vergil Battle 3”, the soundtrack just got old because of the game insisting on having Shootie HG constantly shrieking “Taste the Blood” every SINGLE ****ING time I engaged in combat. By the time I heard it on later levels, I was already hating myself for breaking the mute function on my TV controller. A decent song can become a human being’s worst night mare when played multiple times. And yes, DMC1 had repetitive tracks, mainly songs like “Public Enemy” and “Lock and Load”, but at least there was variety.

But what killed the experience for me above all else was the gameplay. The combat in this game is something I’ve gone into depth about on a previous thread, so please refer to that because I am not explaining all that a second time. What it all boils down to, is this: it takes the clunky controls, rigid movement, sluggish combat and horrendously-disorienting camera from DMC1---and actually demands more out of the combat with all of those assets in tow. I couldn’t believe it…a game made as late as 2005 was still using the primitive controls and combat from action titles like DMC1 and Onimusha, and instead of FIXING the problems with those games, decided to MAKE THE GAMEPLAY AND THE ENEMIES MORE DEMANDING with them. This is like if you took the rigid and tightened feeling of the NES Castlevania games and stuck them into the fast-paced and sprawling combat scenarios of Lords of Shadow. That’s what it was like playing DMC3---for someone who was supposed to be light and nimble, Dante felt slower and more handicapped than an arthritic old man recovering from a brutal motorcycle accident. The blatant button delays and inconsistent camera angles obstructing the enemies from sight didn’t help, but even more of a hindrance was the fact that the game STARTED YOU OUT ON THE JAPANESE HARD MODE ON DEFAULT…because, that’s how you get gamers to adjust and get comfortable with an awkward and relentless combat system: have them die forty ****ing times until the game promptly informs you that “Easy Mode has been Unlocked.” And the worst part about it was that there were so many aspects of the game that worked so well. The introduction of the Style System was a gloriously-welcome addition, allowing for far more creativity with enemies and arsenal. And best of all, the Style Ranking system actually played a substantial role this time around, so I tried even harder to get into the game for the sake of getting good. And believe me, I got better at the game. My bleeding thumbs and sore throat were finally greeted with the All-S Rankings I received after beating Normal and Hard…so I won’t be the one to tell you that it isn’t doable. But it didn’t come without quite possibly the most disgustingly-irritating and rage-inducing experience I’ve EVER had when playing a hack-n’-slash game.

But if there’s one thing that I can’t stand about the game more than the actual act of playing it, it’s the act of watching it. You see, another celestial gift the game bestowed upon me besides infuriating combat was its persistent attempts to tell a story. And my God…

The story for this game is Capcom’s incompetent, nonsensical, shoddily-constructed writing at its absolute worst.

I have read garbled, broken, and convoluted fanfictions with more narrative congruency and dynamic context than the plot for DMC3. It astounds me, even now as I live and breathe, that not only do people consider this game to have the best story of any DMC game…but the fact that people actually use THIS GAME as means to defend the narrative strengths of the DMC lore.

The dialogue here is unadulterated, weapons-grade anime garbage at its finest. Not writing or dialogue found in good or marginally-enjoyable anime---dialogue that is so forced and cartoonish that it literally feels like it was recorded in a 4Kids dubbing booth. I was absolutely mortified when I learned that the writers of this game were not only taking the story 100% seriously, but actually consulted American scriptwriters on a constant basis to ensure the quality of the narrative’s weight and dynamic appeal. Because I assume that whatever H.P. Lovecraft they had for a consultant must’ve been the masterful genius that penned the universally-acclaimed script to Batman & Robin. That only adds insult to injury once you realize that

Lines like:

“This is my family matter too. Quite frankly, at first, I didn't give a damn. But because of you, I know what's important now. I know what I need to do.” (Doesn’t go into further detail and walks off).

“How ‘bout a kiss from your little brother? Or better yet, how ‘bout a kiss from THIS?!”

“The odious one whose heart pumps the blood of Sparda! Though my sight is gone, I remember your scent. I shall hunt you down to eternity if I must, until I rid this earth of your foul smell!”

“My apologies, brother. I was so eager to see you, I…couldn’t concentrate on making preparations for the bash.”

“I see... thanks! You still **** me off, though.”

“I’ll just use your blood to undo daddy’s little spell.”

“We’ve inherited his blood…but also, his SOUL! And MY SOUL says IT WANTS TO STAHP YOU!”

I could go on for hours, but frankly, just reviving memories of this game’s horrendous dialogue is bringing back the urge to nail a Basic Writer’s Guide to Bingo Morihashi’s talentless forehead. Cringeworthy doesn’t begin to describe the atrocious one-liners in this game. None of them are smart and witty, none of them are humorous, and even the quotes that are supposed to be epic or climactic are lost in the retarded swagger and abysmal voice-delivery of all the main voice-actors.

But it wouldn’t be so much of a problem if the game didn’t take itself seriously to such a baffling and suicidal level.

The thing about DMC1’s ham-fisted and outdated anime plot was that it was lackluster at most---but it was something you could laugh at. Dante’s stereotypical action-hero snarkiness, each enemy’s Symphony of the Night-style monologues, and some of the hilariously-melodramatic exchanges between Dante and Trish were so silly, that it was almost a privilege to behold them in the middle of gameplay. And that’s another thing that made it better----the cutscenes in DMC1 were not only short and simplistic, but they were extremely infrequent. They were like the horrendously-cheesy cutscenes from the original Resident Evil---you know the main focus is the gameplay, you know that maybe five minutes was spent conjuring up the premise for the game, so when the characters open their mouths and utter almost-mesmerizingly stupid lines, you can’t bring yourself to skip the cutscenes…they’re something you have to witness to believe, to frolic in how blissfully and side-splittingly hilarious they are. And again, like Resident Evil, DMC1 was not a story-driven game, and you could see how little emphasis the developers had put into the cutscenes and characters.

But right from the rain-drenched, chorus-filled opening to the “Devils Never Cry” speech at the end of the game, you could tell DMC3’s writers were trying to make a more cinematic and serious experience. They were so convinced that they could make an engaging and dynamic plot, they actually made over a full hour of cutscenes…well past the half an hour’s worth of cutscenes that the previous games had.

And what is the fruit of the writers’ efforts? A vaguely-presented, poorly-explained plot that unravels at the speed of a drunk snail plowing through cement.

This is the plot that’s reveled to be the most dynamic and emotionally-driven game in the series?

The plot to DMC3 literally boils down to a twin-brother complex executed with all the subtlety of a faceless fanboy’s Linkin Park songfic. All the major differences between Dante and Vergil are superficial and aesthetic at best---literally in things like appearance and weapon preference, as if the writers are constructing the characters in the same elementary fashion of an underage Deviantartist recoloring the same character and giving it a different name, while consistently pointing at the blatant opposite traits and screeching: “LOOK! LOOK! HIS COAT HIS BLUE AND HE WIELDS A KATANA! HE’S TOTALLY THE OPPOSITE!”

And let’s just look at what makes these brothers differentiate from one another, shall we?

Dante does his best to demonstrate his embracing of the more human side to their heritage by scarfing pizza, spewing lines that no right-minded or mentally-grounded human being would ever utter in their lives, as well as dancing about, whooping and shrieking, and repeated screaming the words: “BABY!” “CRAZY” and “PARTY.” Yeah, because…that’s totally the way your typical human Joe acts on a regular basis.

And what makes Vergil the polar opposite of Dante? Mainly just aesthetic differences---blue coat, slicked-back hair, the toting of a katana---surely that warrants him being different from Dante, right? Yes, of course…that’s why he fights in the exact same flamboyant, over-the-top demonstration of acrobatics, with the exact same cockiness and hot-bloodedness that Dante has.

I probably wouldn’t have a problem with how lukewarm and poorly-constructed this aspect of the plot is if only it wasn’t the sole aspect of the story that’s flaunted as the audience’s main reason to care about what’s going on.

And all the while, I’m constantly wondering: why should we, as the audience, even care in the first place?

Why should we feel concern or suspense at Dante and Vergil quarreling on a constant basis? Is it because they’re family? We have absolutely no backstory or insight on their relationship whatsoever. Other than the shared white-hair and consistentcy of calling each other “brother” in the cutscenes, I would’ve never known these two were siblings. We have absolutely no reason to believe that these two had grown up together or shared any kind of bond before the events occurring in this game…unless of course you count the feeble “jackpot” reference at the end of the game as a satisfactory indication that they were on good terms once. We don’t know if they every cared for each other at some point, to warrant any shock or tension at seeing the two of them battle to the death. And because we have no incentive to care about their relationship as siblings given how little we know or how little we’re presented about them, there’s absolutely NO TENSION OR EMOTIONAL EFFECT when these two draw swords and fight.

Remember when Thor and Loki quarreled at the end of the live-action Thor adaption carried over from the comics? Remember when Moses and Ramses went from two affectionate brothers to mortal nemeses by the end of The Prince of Egypt?

THESE are suitable sibling rivalries and conflicts. THESE are legendary quarrels between brothers Is Dante and Vergil one of them? **** no. I felt more emotionally-stimulated by the rivalry between Tokugawa and Mitsunari from the Sengoku Basara series---SENGOKU BASARA, people, the Saint’s Row of crowd fighters where the protagonist rides a horse with motorcycle exhaust pipes and the newcomer enters battle surfing on a giant mech. And what’s worse is the fact that this horrendously-stupid and poorly-explained plot dynamic is universally-praised as the highest emotional point of the entire series. How agonizingly low has this series fallen over the course of two games when such a mediocre and underwhelming plot like DMC3’s is reveled as the high point in the series?

But frankly, given how flat and unstimulating the rest of the story is, I can’t blame people for hoisting this copy-and-paste evil-twin complex from every late 90’s anime ever made as the high point---it’s not like the other characters are particularly interesting or developed. These aren’t even characters---these are caricatures, two-dimensional and uninspired anime tropes with all the motivation and depth of a brick. Literally the only person with fully-explained and clearly-conveyed motivation is Lady---at least her backstory warrants her presence in this game. Almost every single one of the other characters is given little to no explanation on why they’re even in this Godforsaken tower. The writing is vague and cryptic that it’s actually spawned fictitious and hilariously-concieved theories about Vergil’s motives as a villain….that’s right, fans of the game had to surmise a product of their own head-canon to fulfill the lazy and unfulfilled writing of the Tennyson-tier prodigies over at the Capcom Writing Staff.

Of course, the paper-thin story and barebones plot wouldn’t feel as tacked on without some of the most wooden voice-acting in the entire series. The voice acting in DMC1 is legendarily bad, but I find it odd that the same people who snickered at Dante’s dialogue in that game are surprisingly silent on some of the tripe he utters in this game. I don’t know what phase he was going through or what thorazine Capcom forcefed him over the course of DMC3’s development, but I can safely say that this was and is THE most forced performance Reuben Lagdon ever turned in over the course of his career…a phase, I’m happy to report he’s absolutely demolished with his recent contributions to voice acting and motion-capture. You wouldn’t believe how positively mortified I was to find out that Reuben Lagdon---Reuben FREAKING Lagdon---the same guy who would lend his terminally-badass voice to DMC4, the Animated Series and Dante’s appearance in MvC3 to cement himself as the definitive voice for Dante as a character, was also responsible for the ear-shattering, nasally shrieking that DMC3 Dante proudly totes over the course of this game.

But here is where we get to quite possibly the most egregious aspect of DMC3’s aesthetic quality and long-lasting legacy: this entry’s incarnation of Dante.

I cannot stress how much I loathe this character.

Never have I ever consistently prayed for the death of a fictional character just for the promise of my ears being salvaged from his insufferable voice and personality. Capcom took the professional and laid-back suave of the Original Dante from DMC1, and turned him into the hot-blooded mutated off-spring of Sonic the Hedgehog and Tidus from FFX.

And the worst part? He NEVER SHUTS UP. He’s so one-note and lacking in varying mannerisms that his constant, endless, unwavering attempts to shove his cocky swagger down the throats of the player becomes excruciating by the midpoint of the game. Almost every cutscene in the game that isn’t a melodramatic confrontation or stale onslaught of exposition from Arkham is dedicated to Dante sporadically dancing about, doing his best Deadpool impressions while making jokes that would make most immature 12-year-olds want to murder themselves. Not for five seconds could he ever be serious, or break from his routine of retarded one-liners for the sake of subtlety and patience. You could argue that his personality and “character” (if you want to even characterize his stereotypical, undeveloped, 2-dimensional douchiness as character) shouldn’t be the reason to take away from a game, but considering that most of the levels begin, end, and are woven together with bucketloads of flashy, choreographed anime-esque cutscenes, you’d at least expect Dante to waver or at least stop being an obnoxious 12-year-old in a man’s body. It’s not appealing, it’s not cool, and I don’t care if he’s not “meant to be well-written or deep.” A mosquito-bite isn’t meant to be painless, but that doesn’t make the agony any less worse the tenth time you get stung.

It’s so blatantly obvious how hard the writers are trying to desperately hammer how “cool” Dante is, how utterly badass and invincible they want the players to think he is.

Well, Capcom, if you have enough room in the bowels of your corporate offices between the mountains of foreclosure papers and budget bills you’re currently wading through as you plan the next Call of Resident Evil, listen up as I enlighten you with this life-changing epiphany:

Characters are only engaging…if they have room TO BE DEVELOPED.

The problem with Dante is that he’s a 100% perfect God-Mode Power Fantasy from the start of the game. His confidence and attitude never wavers, diminishing all and any hopes for any emotional variety for things like shock, empathy, anger, sadness, disappointment, guilt, hopefulness or relief (unless of course, you count the one, single salty tear he sheds at Vergil’s “passing”). He’s invincible and impervious to dying, rendering any physical endurance or pain he’ll ever go through completely worthless as a means to invoke suspense or struggle, let alone hopes for his survival since it’s already confirmed from the get-go. He’s superpowered to the point of absurdity, which means he can’t get any stronger or leave any room for other characters to surpass him in any way.

If Bella Swan from Twilight sported a K-Pop Singer’s haircut, Deadpool’s invincibility and Snow Vilier’s insufferable personality, she’d be DMC3’s Dante. They’re both as one-note, underdeveloped, lacking in growth, and overblown in their importance and significance in the story, when they’re literally written to be too perfect and flawless to exist.

This version of Dante is the text-book cautionary example of what never to do with a character…and coincidently, what every unoriginal and pretentious Deviantartist does with whatever Gary-Stu character he or she hastily conjures up on MS Paint: DO NOT MAKE THE CHARACTER A PRODUCT OF PERFECTION FROM THE START, because it makes him boring, predictable, uninteresting, and completely incapable of development.

Dante doesn’t change at all over the course of the game. He starts as a pretentious and egotistical college frat kid, and makes it all the way to the game unchanged as a pretentious and egotistical college frat kid.

In the end, I miss a lot of the bygone elements about the old DMC that were disposed of recently, but if there’s one thing I’m happy Capcom dumped into a landfill with the oncoming of the reboot, it’s the DMC3 Dante and the traits that made him “the character we all know and love”, as some self-proclaimed, pretentious fans of the series have taken upon themselves to emote on behalf of the entire fanbase. I’d rather take the new Dante, for all of HIS flaws and shortcomings, over the old one. At least HE knew when to shut up once in a while to allow actual emotional variety and development to his character. Was he perfect? No. Was he better than DMC3 Dante? You could’ve dressed up your delusional grandfather in a red coat and a white J-pop wig, and he’d still be more tolerable than the old Dante. I just care what the future games offer in terms of gameplay and mechanics…if they bring back some of the difficulty and gothic aesthetics from the old game, even better. But not this Dante…not this one….not ever again.

You know, it’s funny---whenever I complain about the story to people, I always get the same response: “Dude, Devil May Cry has never been about the story. The writers are totally self-aware---it’s purposely cheesy and cliché. It’s a parody of 90’s anime and action movies---you aren’t supposed to take it seriously.”

No---no—no, NO. Stop deluding yourselves. Stop pretending that this is a nonsensically-whimsical endeavor by Suda 51, or a mindless power-trip like Bayonetta.

If the story in the DMC series didn’t matter, then I probably wouldn’t receive half the **** I get on a normal basis for calling DMC’s writing “shoddy” and “poorly-executed.” The fact that people get on the offensive and legitimately defend the writing and characters in DMC is solid proof that the story not only exists, but exists prominently for the sake of building tension and dynamic appeal to the player. The fact that the developers themselves in NUMEROUS interviews have constantly stated how they were trying to make a more film-inspired and story-based Devil May Cry experience for 3 and 4, constantly mentioning things like narrative progression and character relationships, is proof that DMC has a story that the creators seriously believe is legit.

I could probably write a novel based on the sheer disappointment that DMC3 provided when I first played it. I hated it so much, that I initially returned it the day I bought it. But over the years, I kept hearing constant praise for it, and I was actually willing to dismiss my first impressions of it and try harder to get into it. I purchased, re-purchased, and replayed the game several times over the last seven years, trying to see what I was missing….trying to grasp the same fun and awe everyone had garnered from this game…trying my hardest to like the combat and the plot, and this version’s Dante. But I couldn’t do it---in fact, my repeated attempts to get into the game have probably only ripened my irrational and boiling hatred for the game, and has made like the game even less.

I tried to like DMC3, and I tried damn hard…but I can’t. The fact of the matter is that I think the game is terrible. I seriously regard this as the most disappointing entry in the series---moreso than 2, if you could imagine.

But you can only be as disappointed with something as long as you harbor high expectations for it…and I saw nothing but promise and potential in DMC3. It introduced more versatile options combat, expanded on the story, and gave the story, characters, and cutscenes far more attention than they had ever received in past games. DMC3 was doing everything bigger and better, and I was excited. But sadly, almost every way it expanded upon those elements were marred in HORRIBLE execution. Abundant combat options, Styles, and Difficulty modes were wasted on restrictive controls and an abhorrent camera. Lengthy cutscenes and dynamic choreography were wasted on a bland and insultingly-stupid story. And an attempt to remedy the mistakes on the emotionless cardboard cutout that was DMC2 Dante was wasted on crafting quite possibly the most aggravating and obnoxious character in video game history, let alone in the DMC series.

And look….if you or anyone else enjoys this game, fine. Have fun---revel in the joy and pleasure you obtain from sinking hours into the game. That’s what games are for. You like the story and characters? Fine by me. You prefer this Dante over every incarnation of him? Perfectly reasonable…almost every fan of the series I’ve met so far shares that opinion. You think this game and everything it does is the shining example of what Devil May Cry as an essence should be, and what every future game should measure up and aspire to be like? Fantastic…you must love the game. I envy you to no end, even if I don’t agree.

I’m perfectly willing to accept that I’m probably 100% alone on my opinion on this game, and every abysmal thing it brought to the series. I understand people’s love for the game, and I’m not going to let my personal experience with it prevent them from going on loving it. And it certainly hasn’t stopped me from following the series to its present. Hell, the fact that DMC4 is my favorite, the very next entry made right after this DMC3, should serve as blatant proof and a shining testament to DMC3’s failure to push me away from the series. It may have destroyed my perception of the Original Dante as a character, and forged a very critical viewpoint of the series’ unapologetically over-the-top style and tone…but that’s the cost you pay for being a fan of anything. You have to be ready for the one entry that grinds your gears, and make sure it doesn’t keep you from loving the series like you always have.

So that’s my 4,000-word two cents on DMC3.

Now, without further ado, I must retreat to the sanctuary of my nerd cave and prepare for the incoming volley of fiery arrows and rage-spewed protest that will hit my barred-up windows. In the meanwhile, I’ll just do what I’ve been doing for the last few weeks…relax with a carton of milk and Volume 24 of Berserk whilst eagerly awaiting Bayonetta 2’s arrival in my mailbox. (Oh, yeah, and that “college” thing…)

WolfOD64

Dude, you're a Berserker? I'm a Berserker!

Did you see the Rickert slap?
Yes. Yes, I did. Words cannot explain how desperately I needed that in my life. I can only hope just hope Rickert doesn't end up like the last person who slapped Griffith, Count Julius.

But it's definitely cool to see another Bearer of the Brand here on this forum. Good to see you. :wink:

Kam

I'm laptop bound right now, and this particular laptop was already a toaster when I picked it up while working on my first degree. 6 years later, it hasn't exactly aged well. Thankfully in the case of DmC, the unreal engine runs pretty fantastic on PCs and I manage 45-60 fps with the settings turned up. But in the case of other games, I agree, this laptop just isn't going to handle it.

As far as time goes, I have so little time to actually play the games I own right now, I've accumulated a huge backlog of games waiting for a chance to be played. Pushing a new release back onto the end of that list 6 months after the fact isn't a huge deal for me

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
...wait...people have to PAY for video games? i thought you just put them in your backpack and run out of the store

Exejpgwmv

Yes, I can't stand new vergil's animations: they look stiff, he's got a rod up his back, and his sheathing animations look terrible whenever they bother to show them, and he spends so much time emphasizing his flappy wrist motions that he seems to completely forget about his legs and waist.
He moves his lower body plenty.
The video even shows nVergil moving his legs and waist a lot more than oVergil did.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Actually, it was eight.

If you value your time and the absence of gray hairs on your head, don't even bother reading it. Asking me "why I like" or "why I hate" something is kind of a prompt for my fingers to subconsciously type the next J.R.R. Tolkien novel.
If I come up with a response, then it would take a while before that happens. It's not nearly as long as your post though.

... Now uh, I hate to ask, but why hold DMC4 in such high regard if you didn't like DMC3?

Um... you don't have to answer if you don't want to, after seeing your last post, I'd hate to make you write yet another lengthy explanation just because I asked.

I'm glad you wrote it, though. Now I can finally loosen the shackles that DMC3 has held over me for so long. Things that I didn't even pay attention to have now been brought to light, and now I realize that DMC3 isn't the end-all of action games like I had thought it was.

[That honor goes to Sleeping Dogs, Arkham Asylum, and Darksiders II -- in that order.]

1. First Place: Darksiders II
  2. Second Place: Arkham Asylum
  3. Third Place: Sleeping Dogs
  4. Fourth Place: Kingdoms of Amalur
  5. Fifth Place: DmC
  6. PoP: The Two Thrones
  7. Shadow of Mordor
  8. Lords of Shadow 2 (yes, really -- the weapons and metroidvania elements in this one make this better than LoS)
  9. Phantasy Star Portable 2
  10. DMC3 (barely making it to last place lol)

I had a really hard time picking second and third place, I love both of those games equally and it was a challenge to see which one would objectively come out on top.

Yeah, DmC is in fifth place, but only because the games above it appeal that much more to me; and they have a lot more features like parkour, metroidvania ("Eventual Exploration") elements, and rpg-class elements (KoA) that were made "easy-to-use".

DmC has a few platforming and metroidvania (go back and break a certain barrier with a newly-aquired weapon) elements, but they're very few in number when compared to the games in first and second place.

Once again, I may or may not give you my personal DMC list... if I do, it'll take a while to explain why and to get all the videos that prove my points together into one cohesive argument.

Top Bottom