• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask the Staff Anything

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
So uh, sorry to be a bother but could I get a Username change from "Blackquill" to "Izzy"?

The reason being..."Blackquill" was a name from a game series that I've fallen out of love for. And "Izzy" was a name I use to be called IRL so I thought it fit me better.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Can you delete an account here?
No.
Once you've signed up, you're bound in blood for all eternity. It's in the small print but your soul belongs to this forum and its mods now.
I mean didn't anyone say 'welcome to hell' in your introduction thread? There's always that one person....

Its as LoD said, unfortunately we had a handful of members who rocked the boat a little too frequently so we had no choice but to throw some overboard. There were a couple who were standing on the edge of the plank too but they have improved enough for now to not suffer the same fate.

And I'm that one member who is never on the boat and always clinging onto the end of the oars. It's the best place to be because there's no space for anyone else to share the oars with me.
Everyone who ever reported me and/or wanted me banned, raise yer handz. (I'm kidding, nobody knows who I am anymore ._.)

Silly me aside, I actually do have a question(s).
Why is my Dante pic not showing up in my signature anymore? Do you think it might be because the link is broken? Or :nailbiting: did someone complain that the artwork isn't mine and should therefore be removed?
Or has the cookies on my browser gone nutty again?

Also when is the next competition happening?

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Admin
Why is my Dante pic not showing up in my signature anymore? Do you think it might be because the link is broken? Or :nailbiting: did someone complain that the artwork isn't mine and should therefore be removed?
Or has the cookies on my browser gone nutty again?

Also when is the next competition happening?

I saw it when I went to your profile via my phone earlier but wasnt working when I scrolled down in threads. Just checked again now im at PC and it isnt working so might simply be a link error & need to be reuploaded/updated.

We are in talks about new competitions & other new perks currently.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Hi SRS here!

Have you ever thought of giving the forum app like features? Say something that informs members on their phone of alerts and inbox messages for instance.

I recall Steve or Andy mentioning something about wanting to incorporate something like this a while back. I'm not sure how it'd work, but it's a really neat idea.

Thanks for the suggestion, SRS :thumbsup:

Dark Drakan

Admin
Hi SRS here!

Have you ever thought of giving the forum app like features? Say something that informs members on their phone of alerts and inbox messages for instance.

It's been mentioned a couple of times & all down to what we are limited by with software we use. Also neither Steve or myself have any real experience creating apps, though we could perhaps incorporate app like features depending on tech limitations.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
So uh, sorry to be a bother but could I get a Username change from "Blackquill" to "Izzy"?

The reason being..."Blackquill" was a name from a game series that I've fallen out of love for. And "Izzy" was a name I use to be called IRL so I thought it fit me better.

Done :)

Dark Drakan

Admin

Sorry must have missed this message, Angel has done it for you now I see though.

Can we get a twerking Dante Emoji?

Never say never.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Oh my gosh questions. Love it! Pretty sure that half the people I'm about to quote are banned, but... LET'S DO THIS.

@Dark Drakan
What happen to the thread creator ribbon ?????
That was very helpful in identifying who originally created the thread especially when jumping in towards the thread's end pages back & maybe wanting to ask them something directly without having to flip back to the start.
Or having to see "This is for the OP" all over in messages.

The thread creator ribbon actually cleaned that up as well as make the forum seemed a little more sophisticated, organized.
I think I recall temporarily disabling it whilst I was designing a much more DMC-themed ribbon... but I can't remember how that went. I see we have no replacement ribbon now so something something bad Steve.

What about that issue of lack of edit tools on mobile? Any update? I miss em sooooooo much.
Hmm... almost a year on, but is this still the case? XenForo supposedly was pretty crap with supporting Internet Explorer/Edge in the beginning, but several updates later and I'm pretty sure that it's improved in this sort of area. If not, then it could be down to a design issue (i.e. my fault) and I'll need to look into it.

Whatever happened to that sticky post about banned versus threads?
I... don't know. Will have to check that one out. I'm guessing it's probably back now in some form.

I signed up in the RE board like, 15 mins ago or something but the confirmation email hasn't arrived yet. Is there any staff member who's also there to look into the issue?
There seems to be a problem with the server sending out confirmation emails. Romero pointed it out on the RE forum and we made it so that all registrations are now handled without requiring email confirmation (yay!) Were you able to set up your account okay?

That blue icon for chat is terribly distracting on the entirely red color scheme. Perhaps it's time to introduce Vergil to the design?
I agree on both counts. Us staffers are looking at possibly introducing a new template which will sport a brand spanking new design. Will bring up the Vergil suggestion (bit of a crime that he's not present in the main header design right now tbh).

I was thinking that since the chat is the only one with an icon, then perhaps it might be a good idea to give the other ones an icon also. It looks a touch out of place being the only thing with an icon that corresponds to what the feature is. Either that, or it's just me.
Agreed. Whether the chat returns or not I think it might be worth considering adding a little extra spice to the navigation buttons. But in all honesty the way XenForo handles certain stylistic elements makes it a huge pain to work with for me.

So what is the deal with the new chat thing? Do we create a special server for the forum and if so, where is it/what is it?
I actually know very little about Discord other than it seems to be pretty hot poopy nowadays. I've reinstated it over on me Resi forum and since having @cheezMcNASTY work his magic he's made it into something pretty darn awesome.

Okay so now that I've finally got my $$ and :poop: together, I can't find where the whole campaign to raise funds to buy Devilmaycry.net went.
Help please.
Or has this ship sailed?
Nope! I'm still very much sending an offer into HugeDomains every 4-5 weeks, but they haven't yet gone below... $1,400, I think? Here's the listing. In truth, it's a pretty despicable industry. When I buy a 'hot' domain, it's because I'm passionate about the topic. I am legit still super thrilled to own dinocrisis.com, .net, AND .org. I love the DC series.

There's big money to be made domain squatting and flipping domains. They'll typically buy an expiring domain for roughly $10-$60 and stick it on a marketplace the next day with a few extra zeroes added on the end. Yes, the butthurt is strong in this one.

Here's two boring scenarios that I myself was in, that I can only loosely remember:

Approx. 5 years ago I discovered that residentevil.org was soon to expire and go to auction. The previous owner did use it as a RE site, but it wasn't super chock-full of content. I have no problems with this fella/fellette(?) and mucho respect to them for being the first to purchase the domain or in some way acquire it. Well, anyway, it's going to auction and I put in an early starting bid to enter in... about $49. Auction begins... I wait... BAM - insta-win. I'm the only person to bid on it. I'm over the moon. I immediately change the old Resident Evil Forum domain to point to it - thus having it become the community's new home.

Around the same time, maybe a week or two or three later, I find out that dinocrisis.com is going to auction. Say whaaat. I cannot pass this up. The previous owner was a domain squatter and sat on it waiting for some chump like me to come along and put in an offer of $1,000 for it. Eff that noise. So anyway it's going to auction and I preemptively slap down the minimum entrance fee of $49 (something tells me it might have actually been $69... I tend to get my 4s and 6s mixed up...) and here comes a new challenger. We're climbing up in bids slowly, then quickly, then I decide to check my opponent's profile... turns out they are a domain flipper looking to grab the domain nice and (relatively) cheap and sell it to morons like me whom fangirl over old PS1 era survival horror dinosaur games. I can't say for 100% certain that they wouldn't have turned it into a Dino Crisis fansite... oh wait, yes I can. All of their other domains are littered with 'buy me' ads and pr0n. I specify a maximum bid amount and I go and play whatever was popular in whatever year this was going on; I think the amount I was willing to go up to was around $380, I'm kind of ashamed to admit. I don't know how long bidding went on for but I managed to get it in the end for around $200. I was over the moon.

I sort of lost steam writing the last few sentences there. Apols if you were expecting fireworks.

Anyone know what happened to Chancey? Noticed he's not been around in a while. Was he banned or something?
Oh man. :(

Hi SRS here!

Ooh! Like 'push' notifications? I don't really know what those are... my phone cost £15. :(

I believe there does exist frameworks that allow you to app-ify such things, but something like that would probably require money and additional support time. I'm a little too old-fashioned, also.

Can we get a twerking Dante Emoji?
Hmm... you've actually given me an idea. Will need to properly discuss it with the team, but for the past year I've been working with a wicked-cool independent pixel artist whom could no doubt design some great new bespoke emoticons for us. Also, when did 'emojis' replace 'emoticons'? I have a teenager whom says the former and I want to correct her, but I don't want to risk being wrong. :O

Edit: Forgot to answer one other question.

That covers 2016. Will tackle 2015 at some point.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Also, when did 'emojis' replace 'emoticons'? I have a teenager whom says the former and I want to correct her, but I don't want to risk being wrong. :O
"Emoji" (絵文字) is a Japan-ism that basically means the same thing as "Emoticon" in that they're both pictorial ideograms representing facial expressions in electronic messages. Put simply, the difference between them is that an Emoticon requires you to turn your head like :) whereas an Emoji doesn't such as ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) .

So, the smilies that this site uses would be classed as "Emoji" because you can see what they are without turning your head. :tongue:

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
"Emoji" (絵文字) is a Japan-ism that basically means the same thing as "Emoticon" in that they're both pictorial ideograms representing facial expressions in electronic messages. Put simply, the difference between them is that an Emoticon requires you to turn your head like :) whereas an Emoji doesn't such as ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) .

So, the smilies that this site uses would be classed as "Emoji" because you can see what they are without turning your head. :tongue:
You have literally (figuratively) blown my mind on two occasions in two days. I'm still reeling from your Beowulf/Pajoozle-jazzle post. You're replacing DuckDuckGo as my search engine of choice.

Top Bottom