• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask the Staff Anything

Meg

No, it's the context that gives them meaning. For ex, if I see something exciting and tell someone "Hey look at this sh!t, man!", that's not aggressiveness at all. Why should I be called out for saying that, when the intent is not aggressive in the first place?

Swears are used a lot in colloquial speech among friends, so I'd say they actually contribute to make a place more welcoming. If the context is not aggressive, but instead they're just used as a form of friendly speech, there shouldn't be anything wrong.

Of course problem arises when there's arguing and they are used in that context. But that's what moderators are for, right? ;)

You're making it sound like I don't ever swear. If you knew me in real life, you'd know why I find that so funny. :laugh:

The official rules are these: do not swear at others for any reason, and do not swear excessively. Saying, "hey look at this cool ****" doesn't break either. So I don't get what the issue here is.

EDIT: I didn't see Viper's post.

I think I've been pretty liberal with what I will allow concerning swear words. I even get around the swear filter myself sometimes because I don't think once or twice is an issue. I don't know about these instances of members getting called out on minor offenses. Could you please PM me about this? I'll be able to address you both better if I have a better idea of what people are dealing with.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The official rules are these: do not swear at others for any reason, and do not swear excessively.

I know that's the rule. I'm questioning its validity and righteousness in any context. As I see it, it should be updated and modified so that only aggressive cases should be subject to calling outs and warnings.
I tagged berto cause he seems to be slightly overzealous when it comes to swearing, calling out even when swears harm no one.

I'm trying to be constructive, offering my point of view, so that the staff can discuss about it.

Meg

I know that's the rule. I'm questioning its validity and righteousness in any context. As I see it, it should be updated and modified so that only aggressive cases should be subject to calling outs and warnings.

I'm trying to be constructive, offering my point of view, so that the staff can discuss about it.
Not sure if you saw, but I edited my above post. I can't see everything that goes on here, so I didn't realize members were repeatedly getting called out on minor offenses. I don't care if members swear so long as it is within limits, but if you or someone else feels they are getting called out on minor offenses, then I'd like to know so I can better address this issue.

Either way, thanks for your input, Foxtrot! You've given me stuff to think about.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Personally for myself, I don't find the odd swear word to be offensive 'if' it's not being used in an offensive context. However the rules do state NOT to try and get around the swear filter, so I think this rule is pretty clear and speaks for itself. For instance, if the 'F' word is not allowed and is filtered, don't try to get around this by putting a symbol that looks to be identical to the letter you originally wanted to put, but couldn't because of the swear filter.

I agree that when swear words are used amongst people, it doesn't always have to be offensive or excessive to necessarily make it the main problem. Another issue is that not everyone is okay with it and we might have members who are younger than what would be considered as 'mature' and it doesn't exactly set a good example. We hardly want this place to end up becoming some dumping ground where swear words are tossed around freely without any reason to question the language that is being used.

Regardless to any of this, excessive use of profanities and attempts to bypass the swear filter has always been disallowed and stated in the rules since the very beginning.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm confused about the issue, too. It's in the rules we all agreed upon when we signed up and it has been that way for a very long time. Do you all recall when image posting had been disabled? That was doe to people posting inappropriate content here and we got the restriction as a result. I wasn't a staff member at the time but from what I understand this is not a forum that responds to no one, there are higher authorities we answer to and they set the rule of what appropriate content is. The rules were set in place for a reason and even the whole 'if you can't say it on tv' thing wasn't my idea, it's what I was told was acceptable when I got the job. If you really want to swear that badly make your case to the administrators, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Besides, you can get away with a swear if you censor most of it, it's not as though it wouldn't be obvious from just the first letter what it is you are trying to say.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
Bullshit and tits are not censored by the filter. First is a swear word that is commonly used on TV in movies, second is slang for breasts that I think everyone and their mother has heard or read by now, unless you only visit sites aimed at small children. I got warned for using both and told I should consider censoring myself. I don't swear excessively, I rarely go around swear filter, usually just leave one letter for people to identify just which four letter word I might be using if it's relevant, but to make me be careful about every little word as if I was speaking to a bunch of preschoolers is a bit too much for my comfort.

Meg

Bullshit and tits are not censored by the filter. First is a swear word that is commonly used on TV in movies, second is slang for breasts that I think everyone and their mother has heard or read by now, unless you only visit sites aimed at small children. I got warned for using both and told I should consider censoring myself. I don't swear excessively, I rarely go around swear filter, usually just leave one letter for people to identify just which four letter word I might be using if it's relevant, but to make me be careful about every little word as if I was speaking to a bunch of preschoolers is a bit too much for my comfort.
I agree, if the swear filter doesn't block it, then it is acceptable. I don't know if Steve sets the swear filter or if it comes as-is with the software, but either way I don't think it is fair to warn someone for using language that isn't blocked.

I also agree with berto that this place really kinda can't be filled with inappropriate stuff and not just because we say so.

berto

I Saw the Devil
usually just leave one letter for people to identify just which four letter word I might be using if it's relevant, but to make me be careful about every little word as if I was speaking to a bunch of preschoolers is a bit too much for my comfort.

Look, we do appreciate that you censor most of the word, which is what we ask but... There is only seven of them. Not every single little word you say, just seven. Out of the entirety of the English language we only ask you to refrain or censor seven of them. We already recommend people that they read what they write before they post, it's hardly an unreasonable thing to ask.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Is this really such an important thing for everyone here, to be able to swear on text without having to censor? You know, I'm just going to say it, I know people don't want to hear it but it needs to be said. This is DmC's fault. (that's a joke, by the way, since even as I'm typing I get the impression that there might be one or two people who might not get that)

In all seriousness. Like I said, if people really feel that strong about it bring it up to the Administrators. We don't make the rules, we just enforce them, and in this specific subject, pretty lightly, I've only ever given 2 official warnings regarding language, and for the most part I just censor the word and remind people to watch their language, as per the rules. Is that really such an oppressive thing to do?

Dark Drakan

Admin
While the odd word here and there isnt a big deal, we would just rather not have a forum full of profanity as it doesnt look very professional or welcoming thats the reason the swear filter is in place. Along with some more technical reasoning as some profanity can draw spambots to forums when you use certain words. Im sure many people have noticed on things like Twitter if they # something like NSFW or anything along those sort of lines within minutes you have loads of spambots following you or favouriting your tweet. Google indexs your posts so keywords can be picked up on in search engines, these include the profanity to an extent too.

Meg

Look, we do appreciate that you censor most of the word, which is what we ask but... There is only seven of them. Not every single little word you say, just seven. Out of the entirety of the English language we only ask you to refrain or censor seven of them. We already recommend people that they read what they write before they post, it's hardly an unreasonable thing to ask.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Is this really such an important thing for everyone here, to be able to swear on text without having to censor? You know, I'm just going to say it, I know people don't want to hear it but it needs to be said. This is DmC's fault. (that's a joke, by the way, since even as I'm typing I get the impression that there might be one or two people who might not get that)

In all seriousness. Like I said, if people really feel that strong about it bring it up to the Administrators. We don't make the rules, we just enforce them, and in this specific subject, pretty lightly, I've only ever given 2 official warnings regarding language, and for the most part I just censor the word and remind people to watch their language, as per the rules. Is that really such an oppressive thing to do?
I would just like to point out there is a Wikipedia article on the word f***. I had no idea. This new found knowledge makes me so happy.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Out of curiosity, what is the youngest age allowed to sign up to the forum, and what is the age restriction regarding the DMC franchise? Do these two things coincide?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Out of curiosity, what is the youngest age allowed to sign up to the forum, and what is the age restriction regarding the DMC franchise? Do these two things coincide?

Don't know if I would personally put a specific age on being allowed to sign up to forums. We used to have a limit of 11 on our other forums in the past but in this day and age it's hard to put a particular limit on when we believe someone is mature enough to be viewing a forum. I mean my step son is 11 & he and a friend of his run a gaming YouTube channel so if someone is mature enough to be on the forums and show maturity when viewing the forums then wouldn't be right to ban them from being here.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Dante's Stalker: It pretty much comes down to maturity, as @Dark Drakan put it. And berto was spot on that it doesn't clearly indicate that there is a specific age you need to be upon signing up. Even though you do have to put your date of birth down, this is probably more so to display your age and birthday (which can be hidden from view if desired) as an oppose to requiring you to be a certain age to join. Nothing mentioned within the terms and rules everyone agrees to before creating an account either. It really honestly does just come down to a person's maturity and capability of behaving appropriately around mature content.

I think it's safe to say that answers the question when it concerns the age rating of the games also. I've always personally been of the view that age ratings concerning media entertainment is more so just a means of protecting and covering themselves than it is a means to say that those under the specified age limit are too vulnerable to be exposed to such content.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
@berto I was just curious, is all. I can't remember if there was a notification stating I have to be a certain age to join the forum when I first signed up, so thought I'd ask.

Viper

Premium
@Dante's Stalker
There was an era when all forums had "you have to be 13 or older to join" requirement, I think it was cause they were all covered by US law back then. Some still have that (like gaia online), though I've seen some that allow younger ones if a parent states their approval when an admin contacts them.
Like LoD said, this is not to say younger persons can't be mature enough, it is to cover their bases in case parents don't like the content their child was viewing and decide to sue.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Well camed to ask if someday there will be an aviability of for example seeing some YT movies on forum without enabling well known for bugs and unsecure Flash Player as I used to see feature like that on other ENG forums Im member where been implemented HTML5 player on them, that would be okay idea to be seen.

Top Bottom