• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

the significance of westernizing devil may cry

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
They literally called Dante a homo.

What's wrong with being homo?

and also, they didn't call Dante a homo, they compared what he wore in DMC4 (which was cowboy-like where Broke Back Mountain took place) to what they wanted for DmC Dante.

some people took it too much to heart from their hatred towards DmC that they failed to see the joke in it.

sheesh.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Somehow I knew that talks about NT's PR gonna end in angst fest with fans of DmC lamenting "unjustified" bashing of NT, while actually topic was about western influences not about "who framed NT"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Angst fest ......get the heck outta here. What the hell does that even mean?

Some of us actually have a brain and aren't so petty. We just aren't blowing things out of context like the idiots did. :meh:

Veloran

Or, maybe they compared Dante's gaudy vegas rodeo get up in 4 to the modern cowboy look as seen in that movie.

and also, they didn't call Dante a homo, they compared what he wore in DMC4 (which was cowboy-like where Broke Back Mountain took place) to what they wanted for DmC Dante.
You can't be serious.

Xk6ffVX.jpg

Their statement could not possibly be more clear. They didn't just pick the guys from Brokeback Mountain because they happen to be cowboys, they picked them because they're famously gay, and the insinuation was that the old Dante is a gay cowboy. Not to mention the Schumacher Batman and Robin film.

Sheesh, you had to put so much emphasis on it not being ok. Kind of says something ya know.
That's the point. NT were the ones saying "it's not okay" by showing that presentation.

"Oh look at the old Dante, wasn't he so stupid! He was anime, he was a flamboyant superhero, he looked like a gay cowboy, and he definitely wouldn't fit in to our serious, grounded idea of cool. Because obviously gay people can't be cool, right!? And our Dante must be better because he isn't so outrageously gay!"

It was one of the most infuriatingly disgusting PR abominations I've ever seen. I cannot physically comprehend how anyone could ever have condoned and defended such a thing, and the idea that anyone would still say it's okay completely and totally bewilders me.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So, visual kei and that Batman and Robin movie is now also suddenly gay?

Or, you know, the point would be to show how Dante is rather flamboyant and they wanted to give him a more grounded, every man hero look.

And no one ever made talked about Dante like that. You don't even know what was being said at that conference. You can't prove it. They are all fans of the original series as it heavily inspired a lot of their games. They love Devil May Cry. Ugh, Can people just stop whining about THE LATEST GAME ALREADY.

And stop being so sensitive over a fictional character for frick sake. I love Dante, and sure as hell can make fun of him. No one is tossing the word gay around and acting like it's a bad thing.

YOU ARE ACTUALLY. You put so much emphasis on it being not ok if Dante was gay. I wouldn't care. And if you have a problem with gay people, then I have a problem with you.

Last edited:

Veloran

So, visual kei and that Batman and Robin movie is now also suddenly gay?
Wow, they considered men wearing makeup and bat-nipples gay?

Who would've thought.

Or, you know, the point would be to show how Dante is rather flamboyant and they wanted to give him a more grounded, every man hero look.
Yes, I'm sure it was all a huge coincidence. Certainly nobody could possibly be stupid enough to insert a video game character into one of the most famously gay movies of all time and say "This isn't cool!".

Because, you know, that would be incredibly sick and insulting.

Must've just been an earnest mistake. The interns probably couldn't find any pictures of Clint Eastwood.

Ugh, Can people just stop whining about THE LATEST GAME ALREADY.
It's not whining, it's criticism. The approach NT took to win over fans in the westernization of Devil May Cry was one of the most badly botched video game business decisions of the last decade at least. It's a shining example of how all exposure is not good exposure.

YOU ARE ACTUALLY. You put so much emphasis on it being not ok if Dante was gay. I wouldn't care. And if you have a problem with gay people, then I have a problem with you.
Did you quit reading my post partway through or something?

NT were the ones saying it's not okay, not me. The simple fact that they'd play a character up as being gay and insinuate "Look! Ours isn't like that, so it's better!", is just plain gross.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah aside from the whole gay thing, marketing a game saying "Dante is not" and "Dante is" coupled with those images is one of the most childish things I've ever seen in my life. If i ask my 14 years old brother how he would market a game, I'm sure he wouldn't come up with that bull.
It's very unprofessional and ridiculous at best.

You wanna get your point across that your Dante is a cool western guy? Fine, find a smart way to do it though.
It's not a matter of taking Dante seriously, rather a matter of taking business seriously. Distinguishing good PR from... that.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Seriously? No seriously? What the ****?

Are people actually taking offense to this ****? No **** it. I'm so sick of this being such a blatant disrespectful thing all of a sudden.

It's like no one can have fun anymore and poke humor at the classic Devil May Cry series AT ALL ever since the reboot came out. Now even the SMALLEST form of smacktalk to old DMC or DmC is considered "the worst kind of crime" now within the fandom. It's so goddamn annoying now. Why are all the people here getting so butthurt over it? It's. a. ****ing. VIDEO GAME CHARACTER. Who cares?
No one was calling old Dante gay, and if they were? Who cares? You're still gonna play the series. Your still gonna buy the merchandise. Your still gonna like it. This isn't grade school where if people call what you like gay, that makes you gay and you have to hate it now. Some of those fans need to grow up. -_-
Dante in that pic was compared to Brokeback mountain because, let's face it, DANTE. IS. FLAMEBOYANT. Almost to the degree that he COULD be gay. Especially in DMC4. Adding to the fact that he wore a cowboy inspired outfit only ADDED to that possibility. So put two and two together, what do you really expect?

But no. No fun allowed in this fandom anymore. Now any smack talk to DMC/DmC is immediate rain of bullshit.

Well **** that. I'm done here. In fact, I'm done with this thread. Literally as sensitive as Tumblr.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Seriously? No seriously? What the ****?

Are people actually taking offense to this ****? No **** it. I'm so sick of this being such a blatant disrespectful thing all of a sudden.

It's like no one can have fun anymore and poke humor at the classic Devil May Cry series AT ALL ever since the reboot came out. Now even the SMALLEST form of smacktalk to old DMC or DmC is considered "the worst kind of crime" now within the fandom. It's so goddamn annoying now. Why are all the people here getting so butthurt over it? It's. a. ****ing. VIDEO GAME CHARACTER. Who cares?
No one was calling old Dante gay, and if they were? Who cares? You're still gonna play the series. Your still gonna buy the merchandise. Your still gonna like it. This isn't grade school where if people call what you like gay, that makes you gay and you have to hate it now. Some of those fans need to grow up. -_-
Dante in that pic was compared to Brokeback mountain because, let's face it, DANTE. IS. FLAMEBOYANT. Almost to the degree that he COULD be gay. Especially in DMC4. Adding to the fact that he wore a cowboy inspired outfit only ADDED to that possibility. So put two and two together, what do you really expect?

But no. No fun allowed in this fandom anymore. Now any smack talk to DMC/DmC is immediate rain of bullshit.

Well **** that. I'm done here. In fact, I'm done with this thread. Literally as sensitive as Tumblr.

As I said, that's not the point here. Point is, poking fun like that is ok between us fans, to joke around, but it's not ok when business is involved. You don't market like that, it's childish and unprofessional. Simple as that. I think this is a pretty legit point that doesn't have anything to do with DMC fanboysm or DmC hating.

It's not about making fun of Dante, it's about doing a serious and smart marketing campaign.

Besides, seems to me you are the one being oversensitive here. No offense intended.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

As I said, that's not the point here. Point is, poking fun like that is ok between us fans, to joke around, but it's not ok when business is involved. You don't market like that, it's childish and unprofessional. Simple as that. I think this is a pretty legit point that doesn't have anything to do with DMC fanboysm or DmC hating.

It's not about making fun of Dante, it's about doing a serious and smart marketing campaign.

Besides, seems to me you are the one being oversensitive here. No offense intended.

no, I'm just fed up with all this bullshit of people being so anal over a video game character. Like get over it, people, jesus christ. It's literally like Goku vs Superman with fans now, any little joke about Dante is a great insult, and...I'm sick of it.

In fact, I've gotten sick of not only this fandom, but the series in general. It's not fun anymore. It's not what I use to enjoy because the people in the fandom are literal children whining about nothing, and I'm sick of it.

I don't even know why I'm still on this forum.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Some companies should realise that acting unprofessional in public, taking bad decision in PR, and doing only "in your face stuff" will get you hate. No matter what reasons are thats simply a fact. And that is NOT the way to explain why western vibes matters, it looks more like sissy fit, which should NEVER happened. Basically this is one of the reasons why westernising got so bashed in case of reboot.
And seriously @DragonMaster2010 ? If you so tired and fed from this franchise, I really dunno why u keep all this flaming going.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
no, I'm just fed up with all this bullshit of people being so anal over a video game character. Like get over it, people, jesus christ. It's literally like Goku vs Superman with fans now, any little joke about Dante is a great insult, and...I'm sick of it.

In fact, I've gotten sick of not only this fandom, but the series in general. It's not fun anymore. It's not what I use to enjoy because the people in the fandom are literal children whining about nothing, and I'm sick of it.

I don't even know why I'm still on this forum.

With this, it's the third time that I'm saying Dante the fictional character made fun of is not the problem, whereas doing it in a marketing campaign is.

When you do it between friends it's just another way to have a laugh, when you do it in business it's just childish and unprofessional, other than not exactly the smartest move to do.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You don't even know what was being said at that conference and you're missing the context. So you automatically assume the worst case scenario because you want to.

This is all so stupid. All of this is blown out of proportion to fit more stupid hatred for a freaking video game.

It's all over and done with. MOVE THE **** ON. Cheesus crust.

Viper

Premium
I remember there being a person that actually WAS at the conference and they said the same thing about it being unprofessional and childish. They were shot down on this forum with the same attitude I'm seeing now.
That is all from me, please continue raging. :p

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't even ****ing care anymore. It's all so dumb anyway.

You want this thread to stay alive, get back on topic. I'm gonna make like a fetus and head out.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Since DONN!E pretty much confirmed that there were Devil May Cry fans in Ninja Theory's DmC Dev Team, I have to wonder how any of them responded to the PR.

Keep in mind, that members within the lower ranks of Ninja Theory's development team aren't in charge of advertising or public depiction...they contribute to the actual game mechanics and designs. They don't have any input on how the game is presented to the public, or how the company addresses the reactions of the fanbase. They're just the faceless extras that get lumped together with Ninja Theory's image of: "That development studio that sh@t all over Dante and the DMC fanbase."

All of this boils down to being one man's opinion...that man being Taneem Antoniades. And honestly, the only thing I find insulting about his open hatred of the character that irks me is that he actually got to be famous because of it. You know for how many years I've been complaining about Dante being such an insufferable anime fruitcake?

I mean, I've been hating Dante for a lot longer than him, and I don't get any memes or internet notoriety. :grumpy: So unfair...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You mean in this forum?
Yes I remember it. There was guy who told about his experience at this very conference, and he was bashed with some of people screaming how he wasn't there and accusing him of lying, despite he shown small videos in the outside expos.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yes I remember it. There was guy who told about his experience at this very conference, and he was bashed with some of people screaming how he wasn't there and accusing him of lying, despite he shown small videos in the outside expos.

Ah. I take it it's an old thing and you don't happen to have a link, do you?

Top Bottom