• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

the significance of westernizing devil may cry

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Ah. I take it it's an old thing and you don't happen to have a link, do you?
There is nothing of the sort. When this first popped up it was from a forum member who I think has now been banned and the same exact debate went down. There was no body here who was at that conference. I should know, I've been here longer on this forum than both the people who claimed there was.

The closest we ever got to insight in this stuff was with DONN!E really, and he's long gone.

Veloran

Seriously? No seriously? What the ****?

Are people actually taking offense to this ****? No **** it. I'm so sick of this being such a blatant disrespectful thing all of a sudden.

It's like no one can have fun anymore and poke humor at the classic Devil May Cry series AT ALL ever since the reboot came out. Now even the SMALLEST form of smacktalk to old DMC or DmC is considered "the worst kind of crime" now within the fandom. It's so goddamn annoying now. Why are all the people here getting so butthurt over it? It's. a. ****ing. VIDEO GAME CHARACTER. Who cares?
No one was calling old Dante gay, and if they were? Who cares? You're still gonna play the series. Your still gonna buy the merchandise. Your still gonna like it. This isn't grade school where if people call what you like gay, that makes you gay and you have to hate it now. Some of those fans need to grow up. -_-
Dante in that pic was compared to Brokeback mountain because, let's face it, DANTE. IS. FLAMEBOYANT. Almost to the degree that he COULD be gay. Especially in DMC4. Adding to the fact that he wore a cowboy inspired outfit only ADDED to that possibility. So put two and two together, what do you really expect?

But no. No fun allowed in this fandom anymore. Now any smack talk to DMC/DmC is immediate rain of bullshit.

Well **** that. I'm done here. In fact, I'm done with this thread. Literally as sensitive as Tumblr.
Any company that doesn't want to be ridiculed shouldn't resort to childish schoolyard name-calling. That's not how you run a business.

Dante in that pic was compared to Brokeback mountain because, let's face it, DANTE. IS. FLAMEBOYANT. Almost to the degree that he COULD be gay. Especially in DMC4. Adding to the fact that he wore a cowboy inspired outfit only ADDED to that possibility. So put two and two together, what do you really expect?
Except the main characters of Brokeback Mountain weren't flamboyant. They were just homosexual. And if they were making the connection on the grounds that "Oh, Dante's flamboyant! And... Gay people are also flamboyant! So Dante must be gay! And that's not cool!", then that's seriously messed up.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Oh for Pete's sake. I wont argue over liking DmC. But Tameem is a pr!ck. There I said it.

Here's an idea, how bout instead of saying that people are overly sensitive and take things outta context. Try explaining, rather then pointing the finger. Otherwise you're b!thcing over people b!tching

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Yeah well it's what I would have said to Tameem back then.

Why? I never saw this as an attack on DMC or old Dante, and if it was, it's not something for people to blow their bitter load over. Like DM said; it's just a video game character. It was all to make a comparison while still in good fun. No harm, no foul. If people took offense to it, that's there problem that they'll have to deal with themselves.

Plus if you think about it Flamboyant+cowboy=DMC4 Dante. They saw an opportunity and they took it. It's done and over with now anyway so bringing it up again at the eve of DMC4: SE doesn't do anything.

Oh for Pete's sake. I wont argue over liking DmC. But Tameem is a pr!ck. There I said it.

Here's an idea, how bout instead of saying that people are overly sensitive and take things outta context. Try explaining, rather then pointing the finger. Otherwise you're b!thcing over people b!tching

sigh

Alright. Here's my explaining;

everyone was sensitive because new Dante was different and any joke about him was a no-no.

there.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
sigh

Alright. Here's my explaining;

everyone was sensitive because new Dante was different and any joke about him was a no-no.

there.
Are you trying to be condescending? Cause that's how it sounds to me.
What I mean is, if people are taking things outta context, then what's the correct context? Explain THAT

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Well, people did just not get context. For example, when people accused him of saying Dante wasn't cool anymore, for those who read the statement and actually get context, they know he was talking about how what was cool in pop culture when Devil May Cry first came out, isn't really what's in now and they wanted to incorporate that same approach but at a more contemporary angle. That's a fair assessment.

And about the thing about Dante getting laughed at out of bars, well, look at him. Dress like that in public and expect funny looks. They didn't want that kind of look for Dante. They wanted a more every man hero type look for him.

I couldn't care less about all the stuff he said personally, I just know words mean things and it's really stupid when people are complaining over stuff they just didn't or refused to understand.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
All these angst and condescending posts.....this shiz is getting old, matter of a fact its been old for a while, how this subject keeps getting to this point it beyond me, same members saying the same stuff over and over again...

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Are you trying to be condescending? Cause that's how it sounds to me.
What I mean is, if people are taking things outta context, then what's the correct context? Explain THAT

Okay. People need to take the "DmC and everything that represents it is the enemy of DMC" glasses off and actually listen to the words that were said about it.

From what I read from 2010 to 2013, I've seen fans take a lot out of context due to their despise for DmC. Just a lot of twisting words and falsehood.

@Bazilican see what Chancy did? That's explaining.

Why do all that when I basically said what he did in a few words?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Okay. People need to take the "DmC and everything that represents it is the enemy of DMC" glasses off and actually listen to the words that were said about it.
When did I say such a thing. I personally think we have dumb@$$es on both sides of the argument.

No you didn't explain anything. You simply said over sensitive, and gave no explanation of how anything was taken outta context.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
I have a very set and strong opinion on this whole cowboy/gay cowboy fiasco but I guess I'll have to just keep it to myself because I think this part of the conversation needs to end. All the opinions clashing are leading nowhere and the topic has pretty much become nothing but. Time to call it quits and getting back to the original topic.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@berto maybe a seperate thread might be ideal for that.

I think the thing is as much people call this a western take i think its better to classify this as NT's take as we dont really know how other writers would have tackled the reboot's story.

Plus they dont neccesarily even take that much liberties with the core gameplay as Lords of Shadow does to castlevania does so i feel like exploring the impact a western studio would have been better if there was a different structure than the linear 20 odd missions we usually get.

Like maybe an attempt at being more of an open world expierence or focus on the day to day activities of Dante's bussiness or have Dante travel to different locales on a road trip for some reason.

Im not saying there arent many differences to the series im just saying it does stick to the formula.

Top Bottom