• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

the significance of westernizing devil may cry

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Chancey289 @Vergilius @WolfOD64: Okay you guys, I've tagged you because you lot are more aware and have been told more often than others to not change a thread's main discussion point/s. Yet here I am again telling you the exact same thing. Don't let it happen again. You all know that there are other threads or other sections if you wish to discuss something besides the reasoning behind DMC being Westernized.

That's all I wanted to say.

Veloran

68,000 units
You're missing another zero in there.

That's kind of the point. Devil May Cry, as a series, doesn't need to appeal to a wider audience to be profitable. It just needs to work it's niche well and not spiral out of control in terms of budget. That's how Platinum keeps in business - None of their titles are particularly huge hits, but neither are they flops that could hurt the company as a whole. They're marginally profitable, and Platinum turns around and reworks that money into their next game.

But who knows, maybe it's tougher for Capcom as a large company with so many IPs. In order to justify development time over something else, DMC might need to make exorbitant dosh.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
And seeing as how the SE edition is coming it shows that capcom still listens and cares for the original series so seriously the DMC vs DmC-thing needs to stop because both series may very well continue as it looks now, and everyone can be satisfied. But if the bitching continues, eventually either the reboot or classic series is gonna suffer from it. I say give us a proper wrap-up with DMC first. Then they can continue DmC or whatever they want to do with the series. As is, I want a proper DMC 5, but I also would like to see DmC continue one day.
No offense, but it's only wishful thinking. Capcom won't continue both franchises, alone because of money. Their income dropped 35% yet again in those year, so most likely they pick safe route and most likely sales of SE and DE would be deciding factor in this.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
@Innsmouth: This might sound stupid, but couldn't Ninja Theory just work on DmC 2 without Capcom?
Umm…Sorry man, but how you imagine this? They finally gathered enough money to produce one new IP. For them to work on DmC they need either buy franchise (which probably costs more than their studio) or work for no money for like 3 years.

Moondivider

www.tablehopper.deviantart.com
Premium
No offense, but it's only wishful thinking. Capcom won't continue both franchises, alone because of money. Their income dropped 35% yet again in those year, so most likely they pick safe route and most likely sales of SE and DE would be deciding factor in this.

Maybe so, but one can never know for certain what exactly capcom is thinking.

Moondivider

www.tablehopper.deviantart.com
Premium
that's true but there is difference between what they thinking and what they can.

My point was just that even if DmC is not gonna be a priority for a while and they seem to be back on track and have their priorities straight with the original series, I wouldn't mind at all if the doors remained open for DmC and that the fans shouldn't condemn one or the other when there really is no need to worry about the survival of either one at the moment as DE is here and SE is on it's way

I just think neither side has anything to whine about with Dmc 4 se on the way and DmC in no way being confirmed dead

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
My point was just that even if DmC is not gonna be a priority for a while and they seem to be back on track and have their priorities straight with the original series, I wouldn't mind at all if the doors remained open for DmC and that the fans shouldn't condemn one or the other when there really is no need to worry about the survival of either one at the moment as DE is here and SE is on it's way

I just think neither side has anything to whine about with Dmc 4 se on the way and DmC in no way being confirmed dead
We'll see, but I'd say people should take hopes for both franchises continuity with grain of salt

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
i want to take note just because something is being westernized, evolved, changed, adapt or whatever the term may be, it shouldn't make it loss its signature, even if assassins creed getting milked like crap, they're still doing it serious with many things about it, exclude how the game performs.. and every AC titles are something new, new characters, settings and all, and the gameplay was already something boring for my taste.. while if they're doing DMC, it'll have continuity, so i don't think it'll be as bland or boring..

anyway, at the least it can do in terms of westernization, i agree with @berto , dmc could use western writer..

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Honestly I think good writing isn't something bound to nationality. Both east and west has it's own good and bad writers. Because on each Kurosawa there is Michael Bay and vice versa

absolitude

Honestly I think good writing isn't something bound to nationality. Both east and west has it's own good and bad writers. Because on each Kurosawa there is Michael Bay and vice versa

yep, it has nothing to do with it, since backthen, i enjoyed japanese games with its stories, but that's backthen, and maybe western writer knows more how to appeal western audiences, since embracing more western audience is somewhat my point..

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Just keeping an open mind towards DmC as well.
Well, I'm glad someone around here is doing so. That's all the DmC fans are asking, really.

Just accept the presence of DmC as it is -- especially since Hardcore Mode, 60 fps, lock-on, and GMD are now a standard part of the package.

DmC isn't replacing the original DMC series. It was never trying to do so and it never will. In fact, the series will most likely end after DMC5 is made with DmC2 -- after that, Capcom will most likely end up creating something like Scalebound in response to Platinum's game.

Last edited:

absolitude

or they might go with devil may cry rogue, or devil may cry GT, or devil may cry rising revengeance, or devil may cry revelations, or super devil may cry arcade edition orrrr.. as long as it has the signature of devil may cry, i'm all for it.. long live me!

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
yep, it has nothing to do with it, since backthen, i enjoyed japanese games with its stories, but that's backthen, and maybe western writer knows more how to appeal western audiences, since embracing more western audience is somewhat my point..
Good writing isn't something that can be "back than" it's either good or bad. And currently market overflown with shallow western games, that doesn't remotely have decent writing. So like i said it really doesn't matter if it's western or eastern writer, if he can write. And thats only one thing. Another thing is what you want to write. If you expect some drama on breaking bad niveau, honestly barely anybody gonna enjoy this, except for few who only care for writing. In the age where everybody tries to squeeze something social relevant into game we just don't have enough light-hearted fun in games, or even campy stories. And from what I've seen except for a few like James Gunn realise it in west.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I apologize to the thread creator for going off-topic, but I can't help responding to the following. It is perfectly fine to ignore my comment since it goes off on a tangent.

''As for all the condemning of the 'blasphemous westernization DmC', well...I find that accusation downright hilarious seeing as the core of the series was shaped by a plethora of Western influences in the first place. From Dante's attire in the DMC1 concept art, to the initial Gothic atmosphere, to the fact that Dante was originally stated to work and live in America in the manual of the very first game, I'd say that Hideki Kamiya and Team Little Devils had way more Western aspects in mind than Japanese ones.''

Nobody said the westernization of DmC was 'blasphemous', did they? I certainly can't find it in this thread. Nobody sees DMC as some kind of sacred thing that may not ever be changed. Many DmC fans in the past accused DMC fans of saying/implying that the westernization was the only reason why DmC wasn't too popular, or why it wasn't liked by DMC fans. But nobody said that. There are far more reasons why DmC wasn't that popular -- to just shrug it off as ''meh, it's all because of westernization'' is a bit harsh.
And no offense, but DMC was always pretty 'Japanesey'. DMC1 has a half-demon (a popular theme in Japan) with white hair and red anime clothing fighting talking spiders, talking gryphons, and a guy (Vergil) slightly fashioned after samurai. Dante constantly says things that I wouldn't really see western actors say. Even his interest in 'guts and honor' could be considered Japanese themes. Its whole style was anime-ish, with a pretty typical, theatrical and simple anime-like story with Trish. Yes, it had a gothic theme, but that gothic influence can also clearly be found in many areas of DMC3 (and even DMC4 very occasionally)... and they all still had an anime filter laid over it. Yes, DMC1 was more of a blend between western ideas and Japanese ones than say DMC4, but to say that it was like 90% western seems weird.

''The only real Japanese-type nonsense was when Hideaki Itsuno came back to right the wrongs he committed in DMC2, by overcompensating for Dante's serious tone in that game and making him a bishonen power fantasy in the sequel. And with that change came the complete alteration of the game's lore, feel, tone and emphasis. Gone were the Western influences, gone were the Gothic locales, and gone were any rational or grounded attempts at story-telling''

Firstly, the part about bishonen doesn't seem quite right. Bishonen like the Wikipedia page says, has more to do with males who don't look stereotypically male and who have fairly symmetrical and soft features. ''The bishōnen is typically slender, with clear skin, stylish hair, and distinctly feminine facial features (such as high cheekbones), but simultaneously retains a male body. This androgynous appearance is akin to the depiction of angels in Western renaissance art, with similar social roots for this aesthetic.''
Dante in the game is not distinctly feminine. Under 'usage' you can read that westerners started wrongly using this word to refer to any attractive man. Dante is attractive, sure... he's supposed to be this heroic, physically fit guy, but that's not typically Japanese.

''Anime influences and Japanese-centric approaches to story-telling will not save this series, people. It didn't save DMC4, it didn't prevent Capcom from going ahead with the Western mentality when they chose to reboot the series''

What do you mean 'save DMC4'? It sold really well, it was popular both in the west and in the east. There has been no evidence, nor indication, that they rebooted the series because of DMC4 not being as good as it could've been. I suppose you could argue that DMC4 should've sold better, considering it only sold 1 million more than DMC1 which wasn't even multiplatform, but that's mainly due to the fact that it wasn't as good as DMC3, nor even as good as DMC1 was considered to be back in 2001. But anyway, Itsuno has said he wants to make DMC5 someday (probably as a sequel to DMC4 with Nero), DMC4 SE was announced, and DmC got influences from older installments. So... I don't think we know what will or will not save the series (if it needed saving, which I'm not convinced of). If you're referring to Bayonetta 2, it didn't sell as well as it could have, but it seems its sales are good enough for Platinum. The reason why it didn't sell as well, I think is because it was on only *one* unpopular console. I know many people who wanted to buy Bayonetta 2 but just couldn't, and FYI, the first Bayonetta sold *great*, and that isn't even ages ago yet.
I very much agree with this: ''that's kind of the point. Devil May Cry, as a series, doesn't need to appeal to a wider audience to be profitable. It just needs to work it's niche well and not spiral out of control in terms of budget. That's how Platinum keeps in business - None of their titles are particularly huge hits, but neither are they flops that could hurt the company as a whole. They're marginally profitable, and Platinum turns around and reworks that money into their next game.'' So many people liked the DMCs precisely because they were so quirky, so over-the-top and partly 'foreign' to them. Even if DMC isn't as popular in the west as in Japan, who cares? Why this obsession with getting sales as high as GoW/mainstream games? According to Capcom, any game that hits over 1 million copies sold is a major hit. DMC is a major hit, isn't that good enough?

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm not against the idea of trying to make DMC appeal to mainstream western audiences as that's just basic business sense. I disagree with their tactics because I think i would have focused more on finding out why hack and slash games arent selling in the west and how to change that.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
True GoW does sell more then DMC does. However, I think that's because GoW appeals more to casual gamers. I've played all 5 DMC games (plus both vanilla and SE/DE versions of DMC3 and DmC), and all 4 console GoW games. DMC actually requires some skill, GoW you can just button mash your way through. I don't really think westernization is a factor in this.

Anyway, DmC is not a bad game by any means. But the topic of whether the series needed to be westernized is debatable. Though I wished they had kept the gothic setting

Top Bottom