• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

the significance of westernizing devil may cry

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
That's how Platinum keeps in business - None of their titles are particularly huge hits, but neither are they flops that could hurt the company as a whole. They're marginally profitable, and Platinum turns around and reworks that money into their next game.'' So many people liked the DMCs precisely because they were so quirky, so over-the-top and partly 'foreign' to them. Even if DMC isn't as popular in the west as in Japan, who cares? Why this obsession with getting sales as high as GoW/mainstream games? According to Capcom, any game that hits over 1 million copies sold is a major hit. DMC is a major hit, isn't that good enough?

i'll just respond to this, platinum games was founded in 2006 under seeds.inc name, i'll consider that as a young company, and like most young company, it'll be filled with people with dedication and idealism, they want to satisfy their artsy self.. and companies, they will want to aim higher, it's just a matter of time til the company aim for more bucks. And on the wikipedia, i noticed they have interest with darksiders title !!!OMGOMG, this is friggin great news for me!!!, anyway, see that? they have interest for a well known title, and how do you think they're going to do the game? and how do you want them to do the game? same as the original? don't change a thing because it's an already established title? well for me, i see a lot of prospect to expand from the darksiders game, i wish to see a more realistic looking game, as in not so comical in visuals..

and the obsession is not having the game getting more audience, it's about getting the game to survive more realistically, i get it, we feel exclusivity by liking something outside of majority, it feels good to us, but is it good for the company or even the creator? trust me, i know the feeling, i hated muse, my favorite band when they tried the US market, their music changed so much, but they're getting older anyway, and more mature, so i gotta expect they will change, and they need to survive, and i still want to hear more of them.. and luckily they're still getting the love from the fans, tho at first they were scolded, i was a part of that too..

True GoW does sell more then DMC does. However, I think that's because GoW appeals more to casual gamers. I've played all 5 DMC games (plus both vanilla and SE/DE versions of DMC3 and DmC), and all 4 console GoW games. DMC actually requires some skill, GoW you can just button mash your way through. I don't really think westernization is a factor in this.

Anyway, DmC is not a bad game by any means. But the topic of whether the series needed to be westernized is debatable. Though I wished they had kept the gothic setting

between DMC and LoS, which one is more casual? i go for DMC, i play them for fun and i'm getting it, with LoS, mostly frustation, but i enjoyed it very very much.. can't compare with GoW, never played it, verymuch not appealing for me, especially that dude kratos, he needs fashion advisor..

and btw, i don't feel the need to talk about DmC here, since it's a failure.. what i wish is for you guys to ignore the game and make your view of how to expand the--- blahhh, nevermind, i've been saying this over and over like a broken mp3.. lemme just play some P4 nao.. at ease guys!

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
i'll
between DMC and LoS, which one is more casual? i go for DMC, i play them for fun and i'm getting it, with LoS, mostly frustation, but i enjoyed it very very much.. can't compare with GoW, never played it, verymuch not appealing for me, especially that dude kratos, he needs fashion advisor..

and btw, i don't feel the need to talk about DmC here, since it's a failure.. what i wish is for you guys to ignore the game and make your view of how to expand the--- blahhh, nevermind, i've been saying this over and over like a broken mp3.. lemme just play some P4 nao.. at ease guys!
LoS is better then GoW imo. I tried to button mash my way through LoS and I kept getting killed. Overall I think they're on par. I do find the DMC games easy, but that's because I've played them so much. I've played LoS1 over a few times and had it easier.

Well I for one would like to see them do something similar to the castle sections from LoS2.
As for Dante, have him act more like he did in DMC1, with Ruben Langdon's voice (imo, this guy for Dante is like Peter Cullen for Optimus Prime, or Kevin Conroy for Batman. He just IS that character's voice). As for the look, I think something something between DMC and DmC. What I had in mind is basically the Classic skin from DmC. But add like a black shirt, and change the coloring to that of the DmC coat (So black with red sections). The enemies, I would like to see more like the Hell Prides, Marionettes, or Scarecrows. I dunno something that fits with a dark gothic setting.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
i'll just respond to this, platinum games was founded in 2006 under seeds.inc name, i'll consider that as a young company, and like most young company, it'll be filled with people with dedication and idealism, they want to satisfy their artsy self.. and companies, they will want to aim higher, it's just a matter of time til the company aim for more bucks. And on the wikipedia, i noticed they have interest with darksiders title !!!OMGOMG, this is friggin great news for me!!!, anyway, see that? they have interest for a well known title, and how do you think they're going to do the game? and how do you want them to do the game? same as the original? don't change a thing because it's an already established title? well for me, i see a lot of prospect to expand from the darksiders game, i wish to see a more realistic looking game, as in not so comical in visuals..

and the obsession is not having the game getting more audience, it's about getting the game to survive more realistically, i get it, we feel exclusivity by liking something outside of majority, it feels good to us, but is it good for the company or even the creator? trust me, i know the feeling, i hated muse, my favorite band when they tried the US market, their music changed so much, but they're getting older anyway, and more mature, so i gotta expect they will change, and they need to survive, and i still want to hear more of them.. and luckily they're still getting the love from the fans, tho at first they were scolded, i was a part of that too..
Technically Platinum Games is fairly old, it contains employees from two or three defunct developing studios, and it has the creator of Devil May Cry. I don't see them as people who have great artsy ideals but no experience and who don't know what they're doing, I see them as people experienced in the game development industry. They know how to make their games appealing without immediately making them appeal to a huge western audience. Games like MGR and Bayonetta are pretty great, even innovative. The battle against Jetstream Sam is possibly the most visually stunning scene I've ever seen in hack-and-slash games, and it was genuinely challenging, and even emotional. Even its soundtrack pumped you up, though I can see how it's cheesy and bombastic.

''and companies, they will want to aim higher, it's just a matter of time til the company aim for more bucks.''

That doesn't seem to be the case with Platinum Games. They appear content with the money they make, because it's easily enough to pay for everything and still increase their company's revenue. Games, IMO, are supposed to be unique and made for a specific section of the market. It should become popular that way and if it has good gameplay, sell enough.

''and the obsession is not having the game getting more audience, it's about getting the game to survive more realistically, i get it, we feel exclusivity by liking something outside of majority, it feels good to us, but is it good for the company or even the creator?''

Muse is my favorite band too! But I personally don't like the path they took much. It's not bad, but not great either... I don't think they need to change their musical style for the sake of getting more money, I think they will get plenty of money just being themselves. If it's not about the money, then it's about being more modern, but there's nothing outdated about their old songs so far. They became very popular because of albums like Origin of Symmetry, and I think those kinds of albums would be just as popular today as they were back then. Why? For one because music is subjective -- there might be music 'fashions', but to say that their music would be outdated if they did something like Origin of Symmetry... I dunno, it also still sounds modern and palatable to me. Besides, everyone can appreciate good music regardless of taste. And they'll get plenty of money just being... ''Muse-y''.
The same principle applies to DMC, I think there's no need to morph into something else, it was fine. DMC4 was still decently good too, and would've been amazing if they stuck with their original ideas and didn't cut development time in half. DMC5, if it follows the same formula as old DMC games, will be popular. Developers need to worry about improving gameplay, innovation flows naturally from that and comes second. Each DMC improved the original formula pretty nicely. So I want games to get better and I want people to love them, but there's no need for each game to appeal to everyone.

As for what I want from the DMC series and what I think will go down well... DMC5 should be like DMC1, or maybe like a cross between DMC1 and DMC3. It should have on-the-fly style switching like DMC4 (which worked pretty well). Platforming should serve as pauses between combat, to let you catch your breath... not to make the gameworld seem bigger than it is. If there is platforming, it should be like what was in DMC1/4: points in the game where you actually need to time your actions well, not just ''hold the trigger and press button'' over and over.
Dante should have clothing like in DMC2, or a cross between DMC1 and DMC2. He shouldn't be written with the idea that he's supposed to be cool, his actions speak louder than words. The gameplay should be mildly challenging, but not overly hard, sort of like DMC1. Gameplay should allow for as many combos as possible, not limiting your moveset.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To be honest the reboot is no more neccesary than the direction we went in with DMC3/4/anime so discussing the necessity of either direction doesnt really work for me. Neither idea was really "bad" but neither idea was the only option left on the table.

ArabPikachu

The success of Heavenly Sword inspired Capcom to experiment with having the DMC series take a new direction; There's an old saying known as "you don't know until trying".

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I still don't get why people are mad at Ninja Theory. Except for Tameem's sh!tty ass PR, they didn't do anything wrong.

It was Capcom's decision to reboot DMC, not NT's, be mad at them.

Viper

Premium
I still don't get why people are mad at Ninja Theory. Except for Tameem's sh!tty ass PR, they didn't do anything wrong.

Because people tend to get angry at those at the forefront, also known as scapegoats, while actually guilty ones walk off whistling innocently.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
The success of Heavenly Sword inspired Capcom to experiment with having the DMC series take a new direction; There's an old saying known as "you don't know until trying".
Well HS was sadly hardly successful, because I remember how NT (or rather Tameem) threw a fit, about how they barely broke even and wanted to do it multi platform, after which Sony canned franchise. So I don't think success of Hs played any role in DmC making.
You answered your question.
1. Tameem's PR is probably should be in guidelines how NOT promote your game. if DmC2 gonna be made, they should ask him to remain somewhere in the office.
2. Capcom's decision was pretty sly. They basically made NT into punchbag, since rebooting whole franchise was very risky.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

People seemed to ignore that capcom also said old Dante wasn't cool anymore and that the reboot was for the better. Hell if I remember, it was Capcom who said "Those fans will love DmC regardless."

The extremist fans call fans of DmC sheep, yet those same extremist are eating out of Capcom's hand for DMC4: SE.

just a small rant

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To be honest, Tameem didnt cause the PR backlash he just made it worse because the bigger problem was all you had was a vague promise rather than anything concrete to go on.

a better idea might have been to push the reveal trailer back till captivate 11, e3 11 or tGS11 so NT could have time to work on the game without the monkey on the back (so to speak) so when we do get the trailer they have more of a foundation to stand on.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
People seemed to ignore that capcom also said old Dante wasn't cool anymore and that the reboot was for the better. Hell if I remember, it was Capcom who said "Those fans will love DmC regardless."

The extremist fans call fans of DmC sheep, yet those same extremist are eating out of Capcom's hand for DMC4: SE.

just a small rant
Actually it was Tameem who said that. Hense PR nuclear catastrophe.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Actually it was Tameem who said that. Hense PR nuclear catastrophe.

No I mean later on, either Capcom or Alex Jones whose part of Capcom said "Those fans who didn't like DmC at first will love it." I know Tameem said "What was cool back then, isn't cool now" and started the phrase "Japanese-y"

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
No I mean later on, either Capcom or Alex Jones whose part of Capcom said "Those fans who didn't like DmC at first will love it." I know Tameem said "What was cool back then, isn't cool now" and started the phrase "Japanese-y"
I was referring to the part where you said it was capcom said old Dante, because actually it was Tameem's word. Capcom was running with standard PR schedule.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
A lot of fans also just don't get context and took whatever they wanted from those statements.

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
{Off topic: When every I here "Japanese-y" I think off the song Easy Breezy by Utada Hikaru. }

Devil May Cry one, well at least to me, had western elements being the off shot of another Resident Evil game. But then DMC 3 came around and up the cheesiness and over the top action to 11 becoming too Javanese-y? And that didn't bother me at all since DMC 3 is where I stared the playing. Both DMC and DmC both have there charm and what not.0 So really DmC just went full circle and the next entry will be full Japanese-y.....yeah.

And that whole RP thing with Tameem? Just blown out of context. He could have used better analogies to compare the two Dantes.... but what is done is done. There are no taksies backsies!

Veloran

I feel most of it came from fans being too sensitive.
Taking Devil May Cry too seriously where ironically it's a series that doesn't take itself all that seriously itself.
They literally called Dante a homo.

That is really really really not okay no matter which way you look at it.

I legitimately cannot believe any company could be so wildly incompetent and unprofessional as to do such a thing.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Or, maybe they compared Dante's gaudy vegas rodeo get up in 4 to the modern cowboy look as seen in that movie.

Sheesh, you had to put so much emphasis on it not being ok. Kind of says something ya know.

Top Bottom