• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
"This fandom is so dead; why don't you people ever make your own content?" Probably because the fandom is antagonistic towards each other, doesn't give a s*** about content creators, and would rather die out than support each other. And only seems to classify art as a fanwork worthy of attention and not fics. But, y'know, b**** all you want instead of creating and/or promoting the content you wanna see, I guess.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
See, dude, this is exactly why no one wants to talk geekdom anything with you. You are so frigging set in your beliefs, so absolutely certain that your opinion=fact, that you leave no room for even the slightest possibility that your perception of the thing is wrong. Or at the very least, not the only perspective bearing any weight. :/ Just because you think the book is conveying a certain message/the character is a self-insert/etc. does not make it so.

Those are some very short straws your grasping at, my friend. One of these days, maybe you'll wake up and realize this is why people generally scroll past your posts without a second glance. Because until you learn to be less acerbic, ain't nobody got time for your nerd-rage. :facepalm:

And no, this isn't directed at anyone on the forums.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
See, dude, this is exactly why no one wants to talk geekdom anything with you. You are so frigging set in your beliefs, so absolutely certain that your opinion=fact, that you leave no room for even the slightest possibility that your perception of the thing is wrong. Or at the very least, not the only perspective bearing any weight. :/ Just because you think the book is conveying a certain message/the character is a self-insert/etc. does not make it so.

Those are some very short straws your grasping at, my friend. One of these days, maybe you'll wake up and realize this is why people generally scroll past your posts without a second glance. Because until you learn to be less acerbic, ain't nobody got time for your nerd-rage. :facepalm:

And no, this isn't directed at anyone on the forums.

I know people like that. Jesus Christ is it annoying.

Goldsickle

Even now, I'm still encountering people who loosely name anything a "Quick Time Event" because there's an on-screen prompt.

Back in the PS1-PS2 era, a lot of stuff has to be taught in the manual, like how pressing X next to a weakened enemy will finish them off in Silent Hill or how you can break free from zombie grabs by mashing the button in Resident Evil.

Nowadays, on-screen prompts and meters are shown for these sequences, so you know what button to press, when is it okay to press and possibly gauges to show progress (if you're mashing the button enough to break free).
But because there are button commands, people are calling them "QTE".

If it's a mechanic that can be implemented without on-screen prompts, then it should not be labeled a Quick Time Event.

If DMC was remade today, you'd probably get on-screen breakout prompts for when you get grabbed by a Marionette and people calling it an "escape QTE"....

berto

I Saw the Devil
What is it with people and God of War? Kratos is a god damn mass murderer. I could post a link to all the innocent people he killed and how brutally he did so. Oh, but he's such a good dad. Yeah, and how many of those did he kill? And the women and children? The way he swings wildly at everything he was bound to get his wife and child sooner or later. Now that all those people who thought he was a badass for incinerating a man in a cage and stuffing a woman to jam the gears can still feel it caters to them is because they are now dads. I never got the appeal of playing as that unapologetic, selfish, murderous, infantile ass****. There is power fantasy and then there is straight up mass murderer.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
"It's not a story. It's just a sequence of events with a little plot." That's...literally what a story is: a sequence of events that has a plot. That's it. You don't have to like the story, you can say the story was lacking, but you can't describe what makes up a story and then say it has no story when you just said it did. Furthermore, if you loathe the story of that game so much, why are you RPing someone from it? :shifty:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Of ****ing course I notice the continuity error after the fact. -_- Because spotting it beforehand would have made life too ****ing easy, and we can't have that now, can we? :banghead:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I don't like the fact that the term "Nazi" has become such a pejorative slur for people you disagree with. I hear it so much used by young people now to the point where I feel the word has lost all meaning from being abused so much.

Just the other day on a (different) forum I got so mad when the political party I support - the Conservatives (basically the U.K's version of Republicans) was unironically called the Nazi Party for some unpopular policies regarding things like pensions. Stuff like that is why I hate discussing politics on the internet. :mad:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Teenage girls are disgusting.

Makeup, clothes, face wipes, half eaten food, cups of what I can only assume USED to be food safe drinks, shoes, jewellery, wrappers, overflowing waste bin, remnants of face masks, hair dye, gross bedding, clumps of hair from the brush, half opened moisturiser bottles squashed in the middle...

...I mean, I'm messy. But that's a whole new level of mess. She cleans it by Sunday or she loses her nice big bedroom and she's back in the box room in a junior bed and no privacy.

Gross...

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I ****ing hate unsolicited advice. More so when I can see it coming, in which you know it doesn't matter what your answer is to the question they asked beforehand. :meh:

Why no, I didn't do my own cover. I had someone else do it, last-minute, when my original plan got postponed, and then had to adjust my expectations from there as there is a language barrier between me and the artist. But please, do tell me you think it's probably holding my story back/not doing it justice because there's so much magic and blah, blah, blah. Please give me a list of book cover sites, without having any knowledge how much money I've already had to spend on everything to do with getting the book out there, or how much more money I can't afford to spend on something as frivolous as another cover--just because you think it doesn't represent the book well.

I mean, sure, you providing me with cover design sites could be considered helpful for future novels, but it does sweet eff all for this one, and considering I didn't ask, I find it incredibly off-putting that you felt compelled to dump that on me in the first place (considering I kept my counsel about your "Frozen-esque" book cover).

Not that I have a problem with Frozen; I just feel like the cover is intended to grab Frozen-lovers' attentions, when very little of the story itself is anything like it. But, y'know: pot, kettle, black.

Edit: At least there's a plus I can take away from this; the person clearly holds what they've read of the story thus far in high esteem. I guess that counts for something.

I still hate unsolicited advice, though.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil

Who cares if it's a woman? All that should matter is if she can do the job so how about you put her previous experience first and then add the side notes.
When they announced the reboot I was kinda happy to know that the writers were this Mexican dude and an American guy who were put together in an attempt to get the cultural differences between Kirk and Spock on a deeper level but this wasn't something they were bragging about, it was something I randomly read on the wikipedia page, but if I'd learned that they gave the job to that Mexican guy just because he's Mexican I would be, just, utterly disappointed.
This is what that feels like, when you announce the director or key person for this or that and it's not their accomplishments and their qualifications that are highlighted, it's how they're the PC/progressive choice. How they are black, or Indian, or Mexican, or gay or a woman or a combination of all of the above. Well, I can't speak for the rest but I can speak for myself as a Mexican and you can keep your handouts, I will earn things for myself and will do it with my own two hands.
I remember that Star Trek had the first woman in space as an actor 20+ years ago and I remember that meant something back then. Now, if that had happened today, the way things are, it would've diminished the impact of such an important landmark because there is nothing but.
I also don't want to be unfair to this woman because from what I know she could've gotten the job on merit alone, but to spotlight her gender first rather than her is just as much a disservice to her as a director as it is to the rest of us as the audience because it just felt like an afterthought.
'Look, she's a woman! Isn't that great? Oh, yeah, she's done some critically acclaimed work, too, or whatever. But, look! A woman!'
Fortunately I've seen some of her stuff so I know she can do the job so that isn't the issue.
I swear, the more of IGN I see these days the less I respect them.

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
"I don't like this person's interest which is only something they're involved with in the fantasy sense and which hurts no one but ticks me off cuz I don't like it so they should be arrested." ...fandom was a mistake. People evolving without critical thinking was a mistake. People growing up without being taught the difference between fiction and reality was a mistake.

...can we just scrap everything and start over?

Goldsickle

It's f***ing stupid whenever I hear someone saying "this game isn't designed for so-and-so" in an attempt to justify their dislikes over a certain feature or the game itself.

How the f*** would you know what the game is or isn't designed for?
Did you actually have some quotes from the actual creators stating what was their intentions?
Did you actually design the game yourself?

Like someone saying "this fixed camera game's environments aren't designed for first person".
How is a 60-inch wide hallway in a fixed camera game different than a 60-inch wide hallway in a first person game?
F***ing idiots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom