• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The ranting thinking thread

Rebel Dynasty

Flame of Olympus
Gold Supporter
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
See, dude, this is exactly why no one wants to talk geekdom anything with you. You are so frigging set in your beliefs, so absolutely certain that your opinion=fact, that you leave no room for even the slightest possibility that your perception of the thing is wrong. Or at the very least, not the only perspective bearing any weight. :/ Just because you think the book is conveying a certain message/the character is a self-insert/etc. does not make it so.

Those are some very short straws your grasping at, my friend. One of these days, maybe you'll wake up and realize this is why people generally scroll past your posts without a second glance. Because until you learn to be less acerbic, ain't nobody got time for your nerd-rage. :facepalm:

And no, this isn't directed at anyone on the forums.

DreadnoughtDT

Evil Efficiency Expert
Contributor
Gold Supporter
See, dude, this is exactly why no one wants to talk geekdom anything with you. You are so frigging set in your beliefs, so absolutely certain that your opinion=fact, that you leave no room for even the slightest possibility that your perception of the thing is wrong. Or at the very least, not the only perspective bearing any weight. :/ Just because you think the book is conveying a certain message/the character is a self-insert/etc. does not make it so.

Those are some very short straws your grasping at, my friend. One of these days, maybe you'll wake up and realize this is why people generally scroll past your posts without a second glance. Because until you learn to be less acerbic, ain't nobody got time for your nerd-rage. :facepalm:

And no, this isn't directed at anyone on the forums.
I know people like that. Jesus Christ is it annoying.

Goldsickle

Even now, I'm still encountering people who loosely name anything a "Quick Time Event" because there's an on-screen prompt.

Back in the PS1-PS2 era, a lot of stuff has to be taught in the manual, like how pressing X next to a weakened enemy will finish them off in Silent Hill or how you can break free from zombie grabs by mashing the button in Resident Evil.

Nowadays, on-screen prompts and meters are shown for these sequences, so you know what button to press, when is it okay to press and possibly gauges to show progress (if you're mashing the button enough to break free).
But because there are button commands, people are calling them "QTE".

If it's a mechanic that can be implemented without on-screen prompts, then it should not be labeled a Quick Time Event.

If DMC was remade today, you'd probably get on-screen breakout prompts for when you get grabbed by a Marionette and people calling it an "escape QTE"....

berto

I Saw the Devil
Staff member
What is it with people and God of War? Kratos is a god damn mass murderer. I could post a link to all the innocent people he killed and how brutally he did so. Oh, but he's such a good dad. Yeah, and how many of those did he kill? And the women and children? The way he swings wildly at everything he was bound to get his wife and child sooner or later. Now that all those people who thought he was a badass for incinerating a man in a cage and stuffing a woman to jam the gears can still feel it caters to them is because they are now dads. I never got the appeal of playing as that unapologetic, selfish, murderous, infantile ass****. There is power fantasy and then there is straight up mass murderer.

Shadow

Dead Witch Walking
Gold Supporter
"It's not a story. It's just a sequence of events with a little plot." That's...literally what a story is: a sequence of events that has a plot. That's it. You don't have to like the story, you can say the story was lacking, but you can't describe what makes up a story and then say it has no story when you just said it did. Furthermore, if you loathe the story of that game so much, why are you RPing someone from it? :shifty:

Lain

Gold Supporter
I don't like the fact that the term "Nazi" has become such a pejorative slur for people you disagree with. I hear it so much used by young people now to the point where I feel the word has lost all meaning from being abused so much.

Just the other day on a (different) forum I got so mad when the political party I support - the Conservatives (basically the U.K's version of Republicans) was unironically called the Nazi Party for some unpopular policies regarding things like pensions. Stuff like that is why I hate discussing politics on the internet. :mad:

Angel

proudly intolerant
Staff member
Teenage girls are disgusting.

Makeup, clothes, face wipes, half eaten food, cups of what I can only assume USED to be food safe drinks, shoes, jewellery, wrappers, overflowing waste bin, remnants of face masks, hair dye, gross bedding, clumps of hair from the brush, half opened moisturiser bottles squashed in the middle...

...I mean, I'm messy. But that's a whole new level of mess. She cleans it by Sunday or she loses her nice big bedroom and she's back in the box room in a junior bed and no privacy.

Gross...