• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New DmC is a good game...just not a devil may cry game

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Anyone who thinks DmC is even comparable to that list of games has NOT played the recent Thief reboot.

You want to talk about a game that's such a grotesque, unrecognizable tumor of the franchise it's trying to emulate? Take a gander at THAT catastrophe. For game that "retcons" literally everything from the main series, DmC sure as hell maintains a lot. Same moves, same premise, same origin story and character arc, key gameplay elements like the Style Meter and real-time weapon switching...that sways pretty close to the original.

But THIEF? That game ditches practically EVERYTHING from the original to the point where it's borderline laughable. From the absence of the series' landmark of FOOTSTEP NOISES, to a premise that has next to NOTHING to do with the original series---without even a reference or rebooted replacement for characters---and the introduction of a game-breaking focus mode that Warren Specter would've ousted if it had even made its ugly head visible at the original Thief's development table, are what draw-and-quartered this rotting disgrace into the abhorrent insult to the original games.

DmC didn't alter nearly as much...in fact, for a game that was instructed by Capcom to be entirely different from the original series, it amazing tip-toes awfully close to the original series. Also, adding things but retaining what's already there is what sequels do...you know, kind of like what Capcom tried to do with DMC4, but ended up failing miserably? For DmC to do that as a reboot, rather than a sequel, is pretty darn impressive, considering how NT was contracted to make the game feel as "different" as possible.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
It really doesn't even matter who "instructed" it. It is different. It doesn't have same origin story. It doesn't have same art of setting. It changes controls scheme and enemy approach. It changes enemies completely. So 2 wrongs won't make anything right.
As for Thief, I never played it, but I met person who's big Thief fan and who liked reboot. So applying logic of those who can't stand dislike towards DmC, it makes those who criticize Thief - haters, who are to afraid of change, and can't take off their nostalgia goggles.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Also, adding things but retaining what's already there is what sequels do...you know, kind of like what Capcom tried to do with DMC4, but ended up failing miserably?

Not really.

DMC4 retains styles from DMC3, but adds the possibility to switch them on the fly.

Retains some weapons's concepts from DMC3 like Gilgamesh but adds things to it like Just Frames or implements past Vergil's moves for Dante as well, like Rising Sun, which now Dante can perform while in DT. Or Round Trip. Also, Overdrive move is introduced here as well.

Adds more abilities for Dante's DT. Adds the Devil Bringer, which concept wise, it's similar to what you could do with Kalina Ann's blade in DMC3 while in Gunslinger (in terms on bringing enemies towards you), but greatly expands on it, creating one of the best contextual input mechanics I've ever seen in a game. Not to mention the plethora of new advanced stylish techniques you can pull off in DMC4 that you couldn't do in any DMC before, and not even after, for that matter.

Crazy combos are missing, as well as the same number of weapons Dante has compared to 3, that's true. But in front of all the improvements and additions combat got, that seems a really minor issue to me.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
From the comments i've read here, most people here don't like the TR2013? that's actually new to me.. From DmC and TR2013, their common thing is casual, superb control mechanics, precise inputs, dumbed down, all of that.. I get it, you guys wanted challenge, big stuffs, but do remember that both of the game are reboots, and are about origin story, and both plays exactly how an origin should be, ain't big, ain't hard, ain't complicated..

Unless ofc you wanted to go with japanese way, where an origin story could ignore previous game made and be bigger, more festive and more complicated than the prequel, making the characters even tougher than a mature more experienced version of him.. (DMC3)

So okay, we see things differently, but i like games and movies with a purpose and sense.. and mind you, TR2013 felt more like the first tomb raider when i control Lara, it got this unique feel where every step is heavy and weighty, something i could only find in TR Games pre underworld, and how she stopped from walking, that part alone is nostalgic for me.. oh and snowy mountains..

and on the other hand, we just gotta face it, older games are better than todays games, so are movies.. but ironically they are made with bigger budget since everything in the business has gotten more costly.

and a good game is a good game.. whatever the title is.. i'm a very simple person..

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
I disagree. Plenty of games today are better than those of the past. People just need to let go off some of their fuzzy, rose tinted memories in my opninion.

And for the record, i think the Tomb Raider reboot was very good.

maybe i haven't tried more then, i dislike final fantasy 13 installments, loved castlevania LoS series, but still loves the older ones better, loved DmC very very much, but it could've been better with the production qualities, hmm.. now wait a minute that's about it i suppose, maybe you're right afterall :p, but i stick to my opinion about movies! and dont argue with me or - or - or- just dont argue

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I just thought of another point. Batman...Now the Burton films were very gothic, and had a cheesy comic bookish vibe. While Nolan's film's while dark, are much less cheesy and are more grounded in reality.... Now.... does having a different feel then Burton's films make Nolan's films not Batman movies?

As I was writing this I thought of a counter point..Godzilla...There had been plans for an American made Godzilla since late 80's/early 90's...Now while the new film's a Godzilla movie (Least to the people who don't complain about the screen time lol) the first American film from 1998 was widely hated. To the point where the creature has been re-conned as a monster simply misidentified as Godzilla. The reasons? The monster isn't Godzilla. Didn't look like Godzilla or feel like Godzilla, or act like him at all. The problem being instead of a force of nature, he was simply an animal.

Now it's subjective which one DmC Dante goes along with....Personally, and I've said, DmC's my second least favorite, I do see DmC Dante as a more realistic version of the classic Dante. He's more vulgar, and angrier, but still that's how I see him. So I personally think he goes along more with Nolan's Batman then 98's Godzilla (or Zilla as he is properly known)....So yeah, DmC's a DMC game

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
DmC, while keeping some base elements like stinger, and gun&sword weaponry, retconned not only overall tone of the franchise, but pretty much combat concept adding excessive platforming, unskippable cinematic sequences between, etc.

I'm not sure "retcon" is the right word for it, since it didn't exactly "retroactively change the continuity". As its own universe, it's not changing anything in the classics, y'know? Also, the platforming was rather separate from the combat in all respects, just in the way skulking around a castle was in the classics; they were a means to an end, what sits betwixt all the combat, really.

And finallyBeing reboot doesn't mean being automatically good.
Boxart_jap_bomberman-act-zero.jpg

Just because this guy called "bomberman" and he uses bombs to kill enemies won't make this game more akin to original game.

Oh God! I've had the morbid curiosity to try that! It was right at the cusp of what started the "gritty reboot" joke, oh man >.< He looks kinda cool though.

But, what you say is true, certain things can be rebooted well, but...a reboot doesn't automatically mean it'll be good. Certain things, like Bomberman there, don't really require a reboot, given that...I don't think people were saying "Man, I really wish there was a mature story that told me where Bomberman came from..."

DmC, while covering its own universe, sorta sought to also show us Dante at his very start; how he grew into a person who wanted to protect people from demons, aside from just avenging his family, and how he and his brother became at odds. Tomb Raider sought a bit of the same, showing how Lara actually got into the whole tomb raiding gig.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Anyone who thinks DmC is even comparable to that list of games has NOT played the recent Thief reboot.

You want to talk about a game that's such a grotesque, unrecognizable tumor of the franchise it's trying to emulate? Take a gander at THAT catastrophe. For game that "retcons" literally everything from the main series, DmC sure as hell maintains a lot. Same moves, same premise, same origin story and character arc, key gameplay elements like the Style Meter and real-time weapon switching...that sways pretty close to the original.

But THIEF? That game ditches practically EVERYTHING from the original to the point where it's borderline laughable. From the absence of the series' landmark of FOOTSTEP NOISES, to a premise that has next to NOTHING to do with the original series---without even a reference or rebooted replacement for characters---and the introduction of a game-breaking focus mode that Warren Specter would've ousted if it had even made its ugly head visible at the original Thief's development table, are what draw-and-quartered this rotting disgrace into the abhorrent insult to the original games.

DmC didn't alter nearly as much...in fact, for a game that was instructed by Capcom to be entirely different from the original series, it amazing tip-toes awfully close to the original series. Also, adding things but retaining what's already there is what sequels do...you know, kind of like what Capcom tried to do with DMC4, but ended up failing miserably? For DmC to do that as a reboot, rather than a sequel, is pretty darn impressive, considering how NT was contracted to make the game feel as "different" as possible.
F#ck the Thief reboot. Seriously, EFF THAT GAME.

I loved the original Thief games, that latest one was a disgrace.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I'm not sure "retcon" is the right word for it, since it didn't exactly "retroactively change the continuity". As its own universe, it's not changing anything in the classics, y'know? Also, the platforming was rather separate from the combat in all respects, just in the way skulking around a castle was in the classics; they were a means to an end, what sits betwixt all the combat, really.
It still removed every part of orignal and replaced it from a get go. Also platforming wasn't separate part of combat. At least 2 bosses actively required it in the combat (Poison and Mundus)

DmC, while covering its own universe, sorta sought to also show us Dante at his very start; how he grew into a person who wanted to protect people from demons, aside from just avenging his family, and how he and his brother became at odds. Tomb Raider sought a bit of the same, showing how Lara actually got into the whole tomb raiding gig.
I think they both had same goal to establish fresh universe. I think out of all reboots TR is colsest to DmC, maybe PoP. Though PoP was more like something completely different and unrelated to original trilogy.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It still removed every part of orignal and replaced it from a get go. Also platforming wasn't separate part of combat. At least 2 bosses actively required it in the combat (Poison and Mundus)
So was DMC1 with Mundus and the giant larva in DMC3, Leviathan in DMC3, and The Savior in DMC4.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
So was DMC1 with Mundus and the giant larva in DMC3, Leviathan in DMC3, and The Savior in DMC4.
you don't need to use platforming. in both against giant larva in DMC3, also Leviathan? Seriously? in this boss fight there are no PLATFORMS. Couldn't you come up with something less obvious?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Actually against Gigapede you can use the ledges and platforms to get over his body.
It's also true however, that you can dispatch it without even touching the platforms, by using gun switch cancel and sending his electrical spheres back at him.

As for Leviathan heart, no platforms there...

The Savior is definitely a platforming boss tho.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
There's no rule saying that platforming shouldn't be an active part of a boss fight in the DMC franchise.

Personally I would avoid platforming in boss fights in any hack n slash. It's ok during normal gameplay, to vary a bit, but not in boss fight pls. That's why I didn't like the Savior fight, or Poison, or DmC Mundus.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
There's no rule saying that platforming shouldn't be an active part of a boss fight in the DMC franchise. Plenty of platforming, swearing, running while talking to an NPC, etc.... in Bayonetta yet those things are ok in that game but are somehow capital sins in this one.

Give me a break.
Welcome to the S-S-Stylish Double-Standard that's trademark of the Devil May Cry fanbase.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It still removed every part of orignal and replaced it from a get go.

Well, that's not a retcon, that's literally just a reboot. You said retconning, which is short for "retroactive continuity" which means altering previously established elements with new information that would otherwise cause a contradiction in the series' timeline, like if in DMC4 suddenly Dante's mother's name was always...like...I dunno...Phyllis.

It doesn't count as a retcon if it's a reboot/alternate universe because that is establishing something that is different than the original, it's starting its own timeline, not contradicting an established one. Sure, things are "replaced from the get go" but that's the nature of a reboots, alternate universes, retellings, and whatnot.

The classic continuity is completely untouched in this regard.

Also platforming wasn't separate part of combat. At least 2 bosses actively required it in the combat (Poison and Mundus)

Sure, for two fights out of the entirety of the game.

I think they both had same goal to establish fresh universe. I think out of all reboots TR is colsest to DmC, maybe PoP. Though PoP was more like something completely different and unrelated to original trilogy.

PoP was definitely one of the few things that could have been named anything else, it had zero connections with its past material. Hell, did they even mention Persia in that game...because I don't remember.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
you don't need to use platforming. in both against giant larva in DMC3, also Leviathan? Seriously? in this boss fight there are no PLATFORMS. Couldn't you come up with something less obvious?
You said platforming that doesn't get in the way of gameplay. The Savior is still on the table.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well, that's not a retcon, that's literally just a reboot. You said retconning, which is short for "retroactive continuity" which means altering previously established elements with new information that would otherwise cause a contradiction in the series' timeline, like if in DMC4 suddenly Dante's mother's name was always...like...I dunno...Phyllis.
Batman went through lot of reboots, but Batman remained Batman, and Gotham remained Gotham and Joker remained Joker. Batman never was turned into hobo from the street who suddenly become fighter against crime. In each reboot his story remained same with his parents getting shot and becoming Batman because of it.

Sure, for two fights out of the entirety of the game.
And 70% of movement between rest of the fights.

PoP was definitely one of the few things that could have been named anything else, it had zero connections with its past material. Hell, did they even mention Persia in that game...because I don't remember.
PoP had as much connection as DmC to DMC. It didn't had connection to original trilogy. Mechanics of the game remained largely the same, and only mistake was inability to die in game. But rest of controls and moves are really close to games before, while keeping free flow combat as well.
You said platforming that doesn't get in the way of gameplay. The Savior is still on the table.
People like you was complaining about Saviour fight like for past 7 years. So in DmC it suddenly became ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom