• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New DmC is a good game...just not a devil may cry game

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
am I the only one that feels DmC was Awsome as a stand alone game but just shouldn't hav been named devil may cry? When they name it devil may cry it makes me think its replacing OG Dante which makes me mad cuz it doesn't live up to DMC's high standards

berto

I Saw the Devil
Oh, man...

I know you don't mean anything bad by starting this thread but with this subject matter things tend to get out of hand.

Can we try to keep this one civil, people? Say what you think and if you see something you disagree with try to not take it personally.

Personally I thought it was an ok game. It's actually a good game with a lot of small flaws and a small number of large ones. There have been worse games and I've played and like those, more flawed but with a little something that gives them that appeal that makes it memorable to me, like Lollipop Chainsaw. And yes, it might be that the game carried the title of DMC that gives it both a stigma and a curse that if it didn't have it might've not had to bear.

The game is someone else's take on the franchise and it certainly feels the part, which is why people say it's like official fan fiction, and that's what keeps it, in so many fan's eyes, from been a DMC game so I know where you're coming from and you're not alone with that opinion.

Last edited:

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
Okay well, since I wasn't that close to the Devil May Cry fandom (that is to say: not at all) prior to this game, I don't have a strong opinion on this subject. I get it when people say that they miss the old Dante too, though. That's how I feel about Cole Macgrath (a little).

GF9000000Returns

While this game is far from perfect, I say it's okay for a DMC game. It just doesn't have the vigorous difficulty that's all. Luckily, the Definitive Edition is fixing that.

The old Dante though, I miss him, but he's become stale to me now.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
by creating the new game they split their fans and berto I read the warning about threads being locked so I'm hope this stays VERY civil and calm

berto

I Saw the Devil
by creating the new game they split their fans and berto I read the warning about threads being locked so I'm hope this stays VERY civil and calm
Hehe.:smile:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was going to lock it at the first sign of trouble. I just meant that threads of this nature tend to bring out the worst of this story and that usually means a lot more work for us. I'm just hoping a disclaimer will help people remember to stay nice.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
I know u weren't all the mods seem very nice btw on most websites I've seen the mods just tend to keep to themselves and dont interact with the members like u guys do

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
They didn't split the fanbase, the fans did. The fans are the ones drawing arbitrary lines in the sand between those who like and dislike the reboot.

As a longtime fan of Devil May Cry, DmC is Devil May Cry through and through. It's a alternate take on some of the material, but the blood of Devil May Cry still strongly flows through its veins.

Devil May Cry was all about fast and furious combat with a strong emphasis on over the top stylish flare. Starring a gun and sword wielding cocky protagonist, stemming from supernatural lineage. How is none of that Devil May Cry?

Its heart is devilishly stylish. It's why longtime players like myself still love playing the thing. Because we're Devil May Cry fans.

Granted there are things done better in its predecessors, but also vice versa. Gotta lift up those rose tinted glasses friend. DmC improved on things even lacking in the originals and had sweet new new tricks up its sleeve to add on to the franchise's lineage.

berto

I Saw the Devil
They didn't split the fanbase, the fans did. The fans are the ones drawing arbitrary lines in the sand between those who like and dislike the reboot.

As a longtime fan of Devil May Cry, DmC is Devil May Cry through and through. It's a alternate take on some of the material, but the blood of Devil May Cry still strongly flows through its veins.

Devil May Cry was all about fast and furious combat with a strong emphasis on over the top stylish flare. Starring a gun and sword wielding cocky protagonist, stemming from supernatural lineage. How is none of that Devil May Cry?

Its heart is devilishly stylish. It's why longtime players like myself still love playing the thing. Because we're Devil May Cry fans.

Granted there are things done better in its predecessors, but also vice versa. Gotta lift up those rose tinted glasses friend. DmC improved on things even lacking in the originals and had sweet new new tricks up its sleeve to add on to the franchise's lineage.
Differences of opinion, mate, we all get to have ours.

Judge

This game is not Devil May Cry exactly. Its Devil may Cry, a reboot that takes place in a seperate continuity. No this isn't the original Dante, and its not supposed to be. Thats the point.

As far as it goes this character is similar to the previous iterations of Dante. In the same way Nolan's Batman is similar to previous incarnations of the Dark Knight, yet builts on that in a different direction. Thats the point of a reboot.

Is the game better than the previous games? In many ways DmC has done things Capcom could've never dreamed of with the previous games but theres a few things I wasn't happy with.

To be honest you hear a lot of people say their DMC fans and that this game is not Devil May Cry. Well what is Devil May Cry?

Well every DMC game has featured a different Dante and the storyline dosen't make sense between installments. I personally didn't enjoy any of the DMC games as much as I enjoyed DMC1. I thought DMC3 is overrated by the fans, DMC2 is uderrated by the fans, and DMC4 is pretty average. To say that the series is high quality is debatable.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Because apparently reboots automatically translate to "replace already-existing universe."

Really, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm one of the few organisms left on this forum that knows what an "alternate universe" is. Does anyone read comic books anymore? Do those universes get replaced by every reboot and reimagining?

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Because apparently reboots automatically translate to "replace already-existing universe."

Really, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm one of the few organisms left on this forum that knows what an "alternate universe" is. Does anyone read comic books anymore? Do those universes get replaced by every reboot and reimagining?

Yo.

Have I not gone on record as calling DmC the "Ultimate" to DMC's "616" universe?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It's Devil May Cry with training wheels in my opinion. NT were new to this gameplay style of hack n slash and as such, there are a few flaws, but its still an epically fun game that's, in my opinion, better then the classic series in terms of gameplay...okay except DMC3 because...come on. It's got a style all its own that differs from the classic series that I prefer more of. That dirty, grime, and edge is what I breathe since Hellblazer and DmC is right in my area.

It's not for everyone, but it's definitely for me.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
No I wouldn't say it's not a Devil May Cry game. I wouldn't say it at all. At least for me, it felt like Devil May Cry. And I found it fun and solid as a game on its own too.

Combat wise, yeah there are some things that made me cringe that made it feel kind of a step back, primarily the decreased variety in moves and possible combos, especially compared to DMC4, and the overall difficulty.

But that didn't prevent me to enjoy the game or consider it Devil May Cry at its core.
Too bad you didn't feel the same, buddy, but I get it each of us is different.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
No I wouldn't say it's not a Devil May Cry game. I wouldn't say it at all. At least for me, it felt like Devil May Cry. And I found it fun and solid as a game on its own too.

Combat wise, yeah there are some things that made me cringe that made it feel kind of a step back, primarily the decreased variety in moves and possible combos, especially compared to DMC4, and the overall difficulty.

But that didn't prevent me to enjoy the game or consider it Devil May Cry at its core.
Too bad you didn't feel the same, buddy, but I get it each of us is different.
"I guess our souls are at odds brother"

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
I feel like DmC is an introduction game. If they ever make a sequel, I definitely want more moves, weapons and less platforming. I mean, it's nice during my first playthrough, but people who play this game dozens of time, over and over again (me), get kinda tired of it lol. Esp the dream sequences are rather pointless after 500 playthroughs.

If they combine that and retain the fluid combat of DmC as it is now, I'll be so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom