• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New DmC is a good game...just not a devil may cry game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yea, Batman and Joker was always the same. Except when Bruce Wayne was the one shot and his father became Batman and his mother became the Joker. Or when Batman was a guy called Leatherwing and a Nazi enforcer assigned to protect Hitler. Also when Thomas Wayne Jr. became Owlman after Bruce and his mother were killed. Hmm, Batman was also orphaned by Stalin's son to team up with Comrade Luthor against the Red Son. He was a vampire and like killed everyone. He became a Green Lantern (a sh!tty one) and got Gordon an Alfred killed.

There was also a time when Bruce decided to become a doctor just like his father after his parents were killed and made basically Frankenstein Batman. How about when Stan Lee worked on Batman and made a dude named Wayne Williams who was set up by a gang leader. He then studied wrestling and became some Batman like guy. There was also Dark Claw, a Batman/Wolverine hybrid who fought a Sabretooth/Joker hybrid named Hyena.

Did I mention how some of these took place in different time periods and places concerning the city?

Do you even comic bro?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Batman went through lot of reboots, but Batman remained Batman, and Gotham remained Gotham and Joker remained Joker. Batman never was turned into hobo from the street who suddenly become fighter against crime. In each reboot his story remained same with his parents getting shot and becoming Batman because of it.
Wrong. Read the ones where his parents survive and Bruce dies. Bruce's dad becomes Batman and his mom becomes the joker.
That one batman by Frank Miller where batman killed people.

People like you was complaining about Saviour fight like for past 7 years. So in DmC it suddenly became ok?
Where in my post did I say it was okay?
and you've been complaining about DmC since probably 2010 to now. What's your excuse?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Wrong. Read the ones where his parents survive and Bruce dies. Bruce's dad becomes Batman and his mom becomes the joker.
That one batman by Frank Miller where batman killed people.
Don't pretend you don't know obvious difference between one-shot "what-if" scenario and reboot. And even if batman killed people (and so he did in all movies) it still was batman. And even than it was closer to batman than everything DmC was to DMC.

Where in my post did I say it was okay?
and you've been complaining about DmC since probably 2010 to now. What's your excuse?
You've been complaining about DMC4 since 2008. Go figures

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@DragonMaster2010 @Innsmouth: I suggest you both stop this bickering. One of you has already gained themselves a warning within this very thread. So I suggest you think on your actions and the way in which you post/respond to others. Warnings lead to bans and we'd rather not have to keep handing out official warnings like lollipops for things like this whereas you could just simply follow our advice like we ask.

Thanks.

Goldsickle

DC reboots the s*** out of itself.

In early incarnations of Batman, he was holding a gun and has less problems killing his opponents.

2151039-bat_gun.png

Speaking of Batman, Alfred started out as an outsider who kinda insisted that he became the Wayne manor's butler, unaware about Bruce and Dick being Batman & Robin.

In current incarnations, Alfred is depicted as being there all the time to raise young Bruce after he's orphaned.

Aquaman is one of the most changed superheroes.
Back in the 40's, he was depicted as a human who somehow gain the ability to breath underwater and communicate with sea life.

Nowadays, he's rebooted as Atlantis's king.

Some of the most popular media today are reboots that sticks.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Goldsickle: But what has discussing Batman (and other super heroes) got to do with a question that asks, "Does DmC feel like a Devil May Cry game?".

I mean we don't even really need to be talking about reboots in general, because I don't think that's the point here.

ji-high

@DragonMaster2010 @Innsmouth: I suggest you both stop this bickering. One of you has already gained themselves a warning within this very thread. So I suggest you think on your actions and the way in which you post/respond to others. Warnings lead to bans and we'd rather not have to keep handing out official warnings like lollipops for things like this whereas you could just simply follow our advice like we ask.

Thanks.
This thread shouldn't exist in the first place. Everything worth saying on the matter has been said. it's nothing more than disaster waiting to happen.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
This thread shouldn't exist in the first place. Everything worth saying on the matter has been said. it's nothing more than disaster waiting to happen.

The first point you make is your opinion, but backed up by past experiences and the way in which the direction of this topic has turned, I'm inclined to agree. Although it isn't for anyone to say, "Thread done. Should be locked". Not that I am accusing you of wishing that to be the case. No, I'm merely putting it to you that I do agree with you, but I won't just be closing it unless people can't accept the warnings I'm handing them and change their actions accordingly.

Considering how consistent my presence has been in this thread already, should it get to a stage where I personally feel it requires locking, I shall do so.

Goldsickle

But what has discussing Batman (and other super heroes) got to do with a question that asks, "Does DmC feel like a Devil May Cry game?".
Just pointing out what decades of entertainment media history taught us: reboots happens.

People can demonize reboots by bringing up failed examples of reboots or retelling but that won't negate the fact that some reboots are successful.

The idea of reboots isn't "wrong" and is a common occurrence in entertainment media.
Only time will tell if it's successful or not.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Goldsickle: So you wanted to make a point on reboots in general to point out comparisons to the whole DmC/DMC situation? Okay, fair point.

Viper

Premium
Just pointing out what decades of entertainment media history taught us: reboots happens.

People can demonize reboots by bringing up examples of failed reboots or retelling but that won't negate the fact that some reboots are successful.

The idea of reboots isn't "wrong", since it has been happening for decades.
Only time will tell if it's successful or not.
I was always of the opinion that DmC wasn't a bad reboot, just one that came in the wrong moment. Kinda like you are watching an artist draw something for you and you like it very much, but then you point out it needs some minor corrections and more details, only the artist instead crumples the paper and starts a new drawing that follows the basic premise of the previous one, but is still quite different.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Batman went through lot of reboots, but Batman remained Batman, and Gotham remained Gotham and Joker remained Joker. Batman never was turned into hobo from the street who suddenly become fighter against crime. In each reboot his story remained same with his parents getting shot and becoming Batman because of it.

Batman is also not the be all end all of the structure of reboots, and it still doesn't change what is or isn't a retcon.

And 70% of movement between rest of the fights.

Sure, but "between" is not "in the rest of the fights". You said it was an excessive part of combat, and two fights out of the whole of the game does not make it excessive, nor does platforming between fights. That's like saying classic DMC had excessive wandering in its combat - untrue.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Batman is also not the be all end all of the structure of reboots, and it still doesn't change what is or isn't a retcon.
I still don't understand how can something can be explored from new angle, if basically there is nothing left from original. Its not a new angle on previous franchise, it's completely different game, that doesn't "explores" anything in old franchise. It starts everything from 0.

Sure, but "between" is not "in the rest of the fights". You said it was an excessive part of combat, and two fights out of the whole of the game does not make it excessive, nor does platforming between fights. That's like saying classic DMC had excessive wandering in its combat - untrue.
To my opinion, it changes how you play the game. It's like, 2 different playstyles with one replacing another. Platforming never was huge aspect in DMC before, while DmC made it one.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I still don't understand how can something can be explored from new angle, if basically there is nothing left from original. Its not a new angle on previous franchise, it's completely different game, that doesn't "explores" anything in old franchise. It starts everything from 0.

I told you what a retcon is - something that effects one specific continuity, while a reboot creates its own continuity (even if it's a one-off) based on elements of the original, which DmC so does. C'mon man, you know this stuff.

To my opinion, it changes how you play the game. It's like, 2 different playstyles with one replacing another. Platforming never was huge aspect in DMC before, while DmC made it one.

Well sure, because you had to buy an engagement ring for your jump arc in the classics, platforming wasn't it's thing. However, your opinion doesn't change the fact that the platforming is not an excessive part of the combat because it's only applied to two fights.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I was always of the opinion that DmC wasn't a bad reboot, just one that came in the wrong moment. Kinda like you are watching an artist draw something for you and you like it very much, but then you point out it needs some minor corrections and more details, only the artist instead crumples the paper and starts a new drawing that follows the basic premise of the previous one, but is still quite different.
This.
This.
DmC is quite possibly the textbook definition of a perfectly-good game that was shoe-horned into an awkward and controversial position. Devil May Cry DID NOT need to be rebooted....and it is hands-down one of Capcom's stupidest decisions. Even when employees in the company expressed interest to make a DMC5 (even if its presence wouldn't necessarily fix the initial problems the series wears like an ugly tumor), the shareholders and executives would simply refuse to greenlight the game's creation. Why? Because shoveling another DMC4-sized budget on another game would also mean retooling the series' lore, updating the gameplay to suit the modern age (which would mean forcing them to ditch their lazy efforts to milk the RE-style controls and camera that they have rehashed as late as 2008), and essentially taking the time to rework and fix the problems they owed to distinguish the series with.

But, no. The "Capcom way out"---see also: lazy, uninspired, cheap, uninterested, and undignified way out---was to hire a third-party studio to reboot the entire series in a fell-swoop, abandon all of the awkward and open-ended plot-holes and questions they had raised in DMC3 and 4, and leave the work to the new studio on nearly a third of DMC4's budget.

It was fail-safe, risk-free, effortless and inexpensive. And thus, a good game was tainted by being the byproduct of yet another one of Capcom's facepalm-inducing business decisions.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well sure, because you had to buy an engagement ring for your jump arc in the classics, platforming wasn't it's thing. However, your opinion doesn't change the fact that the platforming is not an excessive part of the combat because it's only applied to two fights.
You're right on one, since when I look back on my original post, I meant overall playstyle and not only combat, so yeah, my fault.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I have to agree with a point that @TWOxACROSS made recently that if DmC had been made out to be entirely different from DMC, it would of looked like a DMC wannabe. It would of gotten a lot of stick for that also, let alone what it gets already.

But then I view it like this. How can it be completely different from DMC, when most of DMC's essential elements are present within it? Not only that but for all the complaints the game received. For all of the things it lacked. They went and did a Definitive Edition to fix all of those problems, and essentially making it more like DMC.

So when I consider those points, I have to conclude that to me it does feel like a Devil May Cry game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom