• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's origins - What do you think?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yes, Vergil pretty much despises humans. He finds Trish to be revolting, not because of her demonic side, but because of her human appearance. He hates the side of Sparda that (he thinks) failed to protect his mother, Eva. That is, his tendency to love and be like humans.

And I'd have to go with experiment or something like that, too. There would be no logic in him being Vergil's son. He is 19, and Vergil would be thirty, so Vergil had Nero when he was eleven? No.
Berial says Nero is 'just like he was', meaning Sparda. Nero wears red and blue, and uses the Red Queen and the Blue Rose. In old artwork, he had his own Devil Trigger, which was also red and blue. He gets a purple aura when he grips the Yamato. Then his Yamato DT takes over by using part of Vergil, making the demonic apparition blue.
He is not Dante's son, as Dante doesn't even treat him as such, and Dante is thirty.

I don't even care about what's canon anymore, because Capcom wrecks everything with it. If they're smart, they'll think of a decent background story themselves and hire halfway competent staff.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Vergil finds Trish insulting since she is a demon made at his mother's image and she was created by Mundus, the same being who killed Eva.
Again Trinity of Fates, an official book published by Capcom , says Vergil doesn't have animosity towards humans beings, since he is Sparda's son, after all.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Vergil finds Trish insulting since she is a demon made at his mother's image and she was created by Mundus, the same being who killed Eva.
Again Trinity of Fates, an official book published by Capcom , says Vergil doesn't have animosity towards humans beings, since he is Sparda's son, after all.

That, too.
And forgive me for not putting much stock into what Capcom says. They like to make contradictory things. I don't take the novel that says he's Vergil's son seriously either.
I'd rather not hear anything about any novel. I'd rather the games would explain everything, not some book those morons published.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
That, too.
And forgive me for not putting much stock into what Capcom says. They like to make contradictory things. I don't take the novel that says he's Vergil's son seriously either.
I'd rather not hear anything about any novel. I'd rather the games would explain everything, not some book those morons published.

Agreed but atm even the games are colaberating well :/ i do like how dante and vergil are nephilim it makes more sense as to there power and strength it would also make sense as eva being an angel too

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I
Agreed but atm even the games are colaberating well :/ i do like how dante and vergil are nephilim it makes more sense as to there power and strength it would also make sense as eva being an angel too

I don't consider DmC part of the series. Actually, I suppose it isn't. It's not even called Devil May Cry, it's DmC: Devil May Cry. It's a reboot and a reimagining, so those Dante and Vergil have nothing to do with the old Dante and Vergil. And I don't see how it makes more sense. The DMC series has always stressed that the human, emotional side makes the twins and Nero powerful. It's why Dante becomes stronger than Sparda, and it's where Nero gets his drive from.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
I

I don't consider DmC part of the series. Actually, I suppose it isn't. It's not even called Devil May Cry, it's DmC: Devil May Cry. It's a reboot and a reimagining, so those Dante and Vergil have nothing to do with the old Dante and Vergil. And I don't see how it makes more sense. The DMC series has always stressed that the human, emotional side makes the twins and Nero powerful. It's why Dante becomes stronger than Sparda, and it's where Nero gets his drive from.

hmmm i see your point

TonyRedgraveDMC

Okay, all of the theories I've seen thrown around this thread; Most of them are getting hand-waved way too easily.

1. Reincarnation. Correct, Nero can't be the reincarnation of Sparda/Vergil's spirit AND have Sparda's blood.
2. Sparda relative. Sanctus does not say 'descendant', he says "I must salute a man who carries Sparda's blood", to carry SPARDA's blood, (or be HIS descendant even) he must be his son/grandson/great grandson or further. Son or grandson are the only likely answers to that.
3. Sparda/Vergil clone. Being a clone of Sparda is VERY unlikely considering how young he is, and that Mundus himself was unable to do this. A Vergil clone is somewhat more possible what with Nelo's demise and recycling at Fortuna, but when everyone in the Order are unaware of his demonic nature, Nero clearly isn't an experiment on their part.
4. Vergil's son. This is actually still the most plausible answer. Your cons against this theory are pretty shallow considering #1 While the age's attributed to Dante/Vergil and Nero might very well be accurate, there have been no sources given. #2. Just as someone else has brought up: The statement about DMC4 being 10 years after DMC3 does not in fact necessarily mean that it couldn't actually be 11-14 years after DMC3, meaning at best Vergil could have been 16 when he conceived Nero. #3. He himself is half-human and Sparda (whom he looked up to) spent his life with a human, and the fact of the matter is that Nero was abandoned, Vergil didn't stick around for Nero's upbringing. This theory is NOWHERE near as impossible as everyone's saying. His age is fine for their world, and Vergil doesn't show enough 'distaste of humans' to be 100% being with a human woman.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Yes, Vergil pretty much despises humans. He finds Trish to be revolting, not because of her demonic side, but because of her human appearance. He hates the side of Sparda that (he thinks) failed to protect his mother, Eva. That is, his tendency to love and be like humans.

And I'd have to go with experiment or something like that, too. There would be no logic in him being Vergil's son. He is 19, and Vergil would be thirty, so Vergil had Nero when he was eleven? No.
Berial says Nero is 'just like he was', meaning Sparda. Nero wears red and blue, and uses the Red Queen and the Blue Rose. In old artwork, he had his own Devil Trigger, which was also red and blue. He gets a purple aura when he grips the Yamato. Then his Yamato DT takes over by using part of Vergil, making the demonic apparition blue.
He is not Dante's son, as Dante doesn't even treat him as such, and Dante is thirty.

I don't even care about what's canon anymore, because Capcom wrecks everything with it. If they're smart, they'll think of a decent background story themselves and hire halfway competent staff.

I too do not care what is canon anymore in the original series anymore. Hell, I do not think it's that 'original' anymore...
DMC1 was a fine story by itself. Then, Capcom turned the direction towards another team and made its terrible sequel which is DMC2. Then Capcom's DMC dev team made DMC3 and it's rather a lame ass retcon of DMC1 rather than a prequel to it (even Dante's VA Reuben Langdon said that DMC3 is a DMC1 reboot). Lastly, they made DMC4 but in a very lazy approach... Only a few games of theirs, especially from the past ones like MegaMan Zero and ZX series, have decent stories while retaining good gameplay at the same time...

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Well
Okay, all of the theories I've seen thrown around this thread; Most of them are getting hand-waved way too easily.

1. Reincarnation. Correct, Nero can't be the reincarnation of Sparda/Vergil's spirit AND have Sparda's blood.
2. Sparda relative. Sanctus does not say 'descendant', he says "I must salute a man who carries Sparda's blood", to carry SPARDA's blood, (or be HIS descendant even) he must be his son/grandson/great grandson or further. Son or grandson are the only likely answers to that.
3. Sparda/Vergil clone. Being a clone of Sparda is VERY unlikely considering how young he is, and that Mundus himself was unable to do this. A Vergil clone is somewhat more possible what with Nelo's demise and recycling at Fortuna, but when everyone in the Order are unaware of his demonic nature, Nero clearly isn't an experiment on their part.
4. Vergil's son. This is actually still the most plausible answer. Your cons against this theory are pretty shallow considering #1 While the age's attributed to Dante/Vergil and Nero might very well be accurate, there have been no sources given. #2. Just as someone else has brought up: The statement about DMC4 being 10 years after DMC3 does not in fact necessarily mean that it couldn't actually be 11-14 years after DMC3, meaning at best Vergil could have been 16 when he conceived Nero. #3. He himself is half-human and Sparda (whom he looked up to) spent his life with a human, and the fact of the matter is that Nero was abandoned, Vergil didn't stick around for Nero's upbringing. This theory is NOWHERE near as impossible as everyone's saying. His age is fine for their world, and Vergil doesn't show enough 'distaste of humans' to be 100% being with a human woman.

4. Dante is around thirty in DMC4. The developer said that very clearly. He said Dante is around ten years older than he was in DMC. If it were more like fourteen, he would've said 'around fifteen years older'. But let's say Vergil had a son at fifteen/sixteen. Why? And why with a human? So his son could be the weakest demon around? To defile the Sparda bloodline like that, well, I don't know if Vergil wouldn't just find a highborn demon instead of a human. Though I will admit that he admired Sparda, and so would maybe do the same things he did.

3. Him being a Vergil clone does not seem possible at all. Nero Angelo was defeated in DMC1, when Dante was 28. So Nero would be, what, two? Three? :p Sparda clone... I don't know exactly when and how cloning works, but if they could preserve Sparda's blood, Nero could've been created whenever they liked. Nero wasn't created by Agnus, in any case. Sanctus knowing more about it might mean he oversaw his creation, though. Or simply his delivery to them.

1. Yeah, he's not the reincarnation of Sparda. I don't know how that could work, considering he has the blood of Sparda.

2. False. Sanctus calls him a 'descendant of Sparda's blood'. Blood could also mean 'relatives, family'. So it's a pretty cryptic line. And to have Sparda's blood, you don't have to be his direct descendant. Sparda's family would also carry his blood, as it's their blood. The name Sparda functions as a kind of family name, not the name of the person himself.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Well

4. Dante is around thirty in DMC4. The developer said that very clearly. He said Dante is around ten years older than he was in DMC. If it were more like fourteen, he would've said 'around fifteen years older'. But let's say Vergil had a son at fifteen/sixteen. Why? And why with a human? So his son could be the weakest demon around? To defile the Sparda bloodline like that, well, I don't know if Vergil wouldn't just find a highborn demon instead of a human. Though I will admit that he admired Sparda, and so would maybe do the same things he did.

3. Him being a Vergil clone does not seem possible at all. Nero Angelo was defeated in DMC1, when Dante was 28. So Nero would be, what, two? Three? :p Sparda clone... I don't know exactly when and how cloning works, but if they could preserve Sparda's blood, Nero could've been created whenever they liked. Nero wasn't created by Agnus, in any case. Sanctus knowing more about it might mean he oversaw his creation, though. Or simply his delivery to them.

1. Yeah, he's not the reincarnation of Sparda. I don't know how that could work, considering he has the blood of Sparda.

2. False. Sanctus calls him a 'descendant of Sparda's blood'. Blood could also mean 'relatives, family'. So it's a pretty cryptic line. And to have Sparda's blood, you don't have to be his direct descendant. Sparda's family would also carry his blood, as it's their blood. The name Sparda functions as a kind of family name, not the name of the person himself.

all in all i actually perfer dante and vergil being nephilim honestly i think it presents a better angle then half demon half human as for nero's origins ive already given my opinion of him being an experiment(from a seperate secret society) who used dante(red) and vergil(blue) blood and a decendent of eva's bloodline and then placed him with the order of the sword

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
In the end, though, Nero could be Vergil's son, because Capcom would do something like that. And that would be the day I would stop acknowledging DMC4 as a canon DMC game. All this for the sake of creating a successor to Dante, who is too much like Dante in the first place, and has a demonic arm for no good reason? Damn. If they wanted to make a game that revolved around Sparda, they should've just made it about Sparda, not some Sparda wannabe.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
In the end, though, Nero could be Vergil's son, because Capcom would do something like that. And that would be the day I would stop acknowledging DMC4 as a canon DMC game. All this for the sake of creating a successor to Dante, who is too much like Dante in the first place, and has a demonic arm for no good reason? Damn. If they wanted to make a game that revolved around Sparda, they should've just made it about Sparda, not some Sparda wannabe.

No one is denying that they made a mistake in how they created dmc 4 thats why im hoping they fix everything with a new dmc game*fingers crossed*

Vinosh

I lived in the belief that a secret laboratiumban cloned into Vergil's blood.Nero is actually a clone of Vergil.:(

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Well, I like to think Nero was an experiment and that is why he has the "blood of Sparda" in him. Or that what his origins should have been. Hell, Capcom could have made a fifth Devil May Cry game with just Nero trying to find out about his origins and call it: Devil May Cry: Nero's Origins or something. And that would have fleshed out Nero as a character instead of just being Dante 2.0.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Did Anyone say that Nero May be Sparta him self haven't play any of the game but DmC but from the look of thing Nero may be Sparta
Nero isn't Sparda or a reincarnation of Sparda. The most we know in DMC4 is that Nero descends from Sparda's bloodline.

But, Japan had a book released that confirmed Nero was Vergil's son. I wish he wasn't. It makes no sense and seems so out of character for Vergil.

Well, I like to think Nero was an experiment and that is why he has the "blood of Sparda" in him. Or that what his origins should have been. Hell, Capcom could have made a fifth Devil May Cry game with just Nero trying to find out about his origins and call it: Devil May Cry: Nero's Origins or something. And that would have fleshed out Nero as a character instead of just being Dante 2.0.
Agreed. I would have accepted that he was some kind of experiment. It makese sense. Agnus doing experiments to get demonic power, making hell gates, and using bits of Nero Angelo to make those bianco angelo. It would fit that Agnus could also have made Nero as an experiment to create a person with demonic power.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I'm not quite understand, why people refuse to accept it.
Because ages do not match up. Vergil would be very young when Nero was born.

Also, it is against Vergil's character. Why would he have a relationship with a woman, let alone have a child, when all we see of him is wanting power, coupled with a very cold and distant personality.

And, if Vergil did want a son, then why have one with a human? He hated his human side. And it seems out of character for Vergil to abandon his son. Vergil seem like the sort of character who would train his son to use a sword and pass on his twisted idea of the Sparda legacy.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Because ages do not match up. Vergil would be very young when Nero was born.

Also, it is against Vergil's character. Why would he have a relationship with a woman, let alone have a child, when all we see of him is wanting power, coupled with a very cold and distant personality.

And, if Vergil did want a son, then why have one with a human? He hated his human side. And it seems out of character for Vergil to abandon his son. Vergil seem like the sort of character who would train his son to use a sword and pass on his twisted idea of the Sparda legacy.
1. There is no proof that Vergil ages like normal humans. 2. Vergil wanted power to defeat Mundus, and we saw he warned Lady to get out of his way, instead or remorsly killing her. 3. There is no implication Vergil hated his human half + there is also not a proof that Nero 3/4 demon. 4. Vergil died/was enslaved and it can happen shortly after his birth

Top Bottom