• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

All about Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Yes, but is Bardock a brilliant scientist?

There was that one line in the dub where Vegeta says that the moon beam he used was made by a brilliant scientist named Bardock during the saiyan saga, its something even the TFS abridged series has poked fun at but nothing cano but that could still change once more info on the move is shown to us. Honestly I say small details such as that does not negate the gaping ones already in affect, my point is the origin of Goku has gone from a subtle nod towards the superman mythos to pretty much a copied adaption of it within the Dragon Ball world and there is legit no disputing it since even the the most casual fan of the two series can see this, I just do not understand why Toriyama could not have put his own spin on the Bardock mythos without making Goku aware of his parents before he left and them having a "tender moment" while watching him leave before their eventual doom, Goku should have stayed a oblivious baby, the whole tearful goodbye between the family just beats the notion over our heads that this is basically Dragon Ball's version of the Superman origin.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Well, yeah, I was definitely referencing that bizarre dub line that turned Bardock into Jor-El.

I'm just sayin', I survived listening to it the first time it was on air, and while I still do call it a weird dub line, it made sense from a marketability standpoint because it was already acknowledged to "vaguely rip off of Superman" which itself was ripping off the story of Moses (and then Superman kept turning into a Christ allegory with humanity being bestowed an "only son" from the skies with powers and miracle work), and Superman is a worldwide name. He's the definition of iconic. You say Superman, everyone knows you're talking about the big blue boy scout. He was iconic before Goku *eventually* became iconic. Kids in the US love Superman, this new anime protagonist (at the time) is ripping off Superman, so then make him more heroic and Superman-ish, and also fill the show with wall-to-wall noise and music (see: Faulconer score) to keep kids' attentions. All in all, it worked out.

That said, don't you think you're exaggerating it too much? Goku's alien origin was already ripping off the mythos. Even the subtle nod was noticed back in the day and decried then as a "rip off" in the negative. Goku before the Superman ripoff was a Sun Wukong ripoff and Dragonball was just Journey to the West but anime'd. If your issue really is "they're not just paying homage, they're ripping [X media] off" then Dragonball wasn't the right manga for you to even start with, sorry.

Ultimately the addition in Minus and the retcon of his age makes his past more tragic, and actually separates from the Superman bit BY making him a toddler. Supes and Goku were both originally sent as oblivious babies to begin with. And then Supes has a magical (technologically advanced, same thing) spaceship that could tell him everything about his origins whenever he needed it to. Depending on the media, he'd be aware that he was an alien from space ever since he hit puberty because his new parents told him and showed him the ship. The guy knows everything about himself by this point aside from whatever Kara/Supergirl would come up with.

Goku in contrast still isn't completely ripping off Supes. Being sent as a toddler and not a baby is the first thing. Second, even if he was sent with a tearful goodbye from his parents, and even if Bardock hoped (not seen with an oddly specific level of precognition that would tell him what was going to happen 30 years in the future before anyone even decided on it...) that Goku would avenge their race somehow, it's possible Bardock dies never knowing if that happened. Regardless of what his parents expected, Goku still hit his head as a baby and lost all his memories and still hasn't remembered his parents to this day. No one told him he was an alien until he was an adult (Raditz) and then no one told him he needed to avenge a whole race until he was on *another* planet and that person who told him was dying (Vegeta on Namek). The parent ("Grandpa") that adopted him couldn't tell him anything about where he came from or who he was except "Don't ever look at the full moon", and Grandpa Gohan only said that after Goku went Oozaru and crushed him. And Goku didnt find out he did it until he fought Vegeta the first time around and Vegeta went Oozaru. Let me know in the comics whenever Supes eyebeams Martha and crushes Johnathan before he's even hit the age of 13.

Up until this point, fans have viewed the concept of a baby falling off a cliff and bashing his brain as a *good thing* (LOL) because he was "destined" to be evil and wipe out the human race like the one-dimensional alien race he came from. Fans looked at Goku's backstory and wiped their collective brows all "Thank goodness that happened". He didn't lose anything either from that except a terrible personality. This time around he actually had something going for him when he left Planet Vegeta, and lost it when he hit his head, so we don't truly know for certain what he could have become if he had "his original personality", which makes what-if scenarios on "What if Goku didn't hit his head?" viable to explore again. And even then it's a toss-up, because "realistically speaking" most people don't usually remember the stuff that happened to them when they were three. In case of a heavily traumatic event, there could be subconscious emotional imprints (see: any halfway decent argument in favor of Movie 8 Broly hating Goku because he cried as a baby), but that's it.

So the point is where Goku came from doesn't change where he ended up (hitting his head, amnesia, questionably different personality), and the funny thing is that if Bardock and Gine were specifically hoping that something like "defeating Freeza and avenging the Saiyan race" would come about their decision to send Goku off to another planet, all they did was ensure he would stay alive. Everything after that was pure luck and coincidence and things falling into place to generate an outcome as if it were meant to be. Like... I dunno... fate? Haha.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Ultimately the addition in Minus and the retcon of his age makes his past more tragic,
It just makes it very generic and lame IMO the thing that seperated Goku's backstory from Superman's was that Goku was sent to take over earth and ironically ended up becoming a savior, in contrast of this Namekians were actually a peaceful race and Piccolo turned out to be the exception. Unlike Superman, Goku does not give a damn about his heritage or parents, he was glad that most saiyans were dead because they were evil.

Which is another problem i have with DB:Minus, it portrays Bardock&Gine like this nice loving human couple who are just misunderstood or something and not the planet conquering warrior race they are. FoG special did this perfectly, it showed saiyans as uncaring, ruthless bastards. One thing that should always be established is that Bardock is NOT a good guy, he's still killing more people than hitler on a daily basis. Making him look like this super nice guy just defeats the purpose of it or rather sugarcoats that part of Bardock. Keep in mind, i'm only going by FoG as a reference, considering how its non-canon all we know of bardock&gine canonically is that they were very good people who did nothing wrong.

so we don't truly know for certain what he could have become if he had "his original personality"
Gohan already mentioned how goku was a savage before hitting his head so he would've grown up to be an anti-hero or even a villian with a much more meaner personality like Vegeta's.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
It just makes it very generic and lame IMO the thing that seperated Goku's backstory from Superman's was that Goku was sent to take over earth and ironically ended up becoming a savior, in contrast of this Namekians were actually a peaceful race and Piccolo turned out to be the exception. Unlike Superman, Goku does not give a damn about his heritage or parents, he was glad that most saiyans were dead because they were evil.
Piccolo turned out to be the exception because Kami specifically expelled what evil he had in his heart to become Guardian of Earth and the evil remains became King Piccolo and eventually Piccolo Jr. You can at least try to be honest about his backstory.

"Goku doesn't give a damn about his heritage or parents" and he still doesn't. He still hit his head as a kid and doesn't remember them. And then King Kai lied to him about the planet being blown up by a meteor. But even then he avenged the Saiyans by fighting Freeza and would eventually fight against Baby in GT despite it being "common knowledge" that the Saiyans were one-dimensional assholes and "deserved to get blown up". The f#ck is your point? Goku was always one dub line away from shouting "THE SAIYANS HAD THEIR CHANCE!" on some Man of Steel nonsense.

Which is another problem i have with DB:Minus, it portrays Bardock&Gine like this nice loving human couple who are just misunderstood or something and not the planet conquering warrior race they are. FoG special did this perfectly, it showed saiyans as uncaring, ruthless bastards. One thing that should always be established is that Bardock is NOT a good guy, he's still killing more people than hitler on a daily basis. Making him look like this super nice guy just defeats the purpose of it or rather sugarcoats that part of Bardock. Keep in mind, i'm only going by FoG as a reference, considering how its non-canon all we know of bardock&gine canonically is that they were very good people who did nothing wrong.

"Based off of this completely non-canon iteration of an unimportant character from 20 years ago that only exists at the whims of the canon author who didn't originally create them but owns the intellectual property and can change them however they wish when they ACTUALLY want to make them official, this secondary character has to be done THIS SPECIFIC WAY!"

Toriyama created DB. Bardock only existed as long as he did because Toriyama felt like leaving him there, and even when acknowledging him in "official media" he only spared two panels for the guy. You FOG fans give more of a damn about Bardock's integrity staying intact for two decades than either Toriyama or the dude that made Bardock care about his integrity. Let it go.

Unless your argument leads up to you not watching the Broly movie at all, you make no sense, because this movie will make Broly and Paragus into tragic characters also (they kind of already were) and the only thing that's changing significantly is that this extends to more of their race in order to give them depth.

Werent you the guy arguing about Venom's characterization when you didnt know a thing about it and don't even read the comics?

Gohan already mentioned how goku was a savage before hitting his head so he would've grown up to be an anti-hero or even a villian with a much more meaner personality like Vegeta's.

Oh, you mean in DB Minus where Gohan acknowledged that Goku lacked manners and wasn't very civilized? Or Master Roshi's flashback in DBZ that showed Gohan finding the spaceship at night? Or the FOG special that showed him finding the ship in the *daytime* and Goku laughed like a regular happy infant?

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Gosh you guys write way too much and it gets hard to answer so many points at once so I'll just answer some key points. :bored:

The DB forums are riddled with "Because of DB Minus Bardock won't rebel like he did in Bardock FoG. I will cut my wrists now."
Those people are completely ignoring that A) Toriyama had shown a brief flashback of Bardock's rebellion in the manga thus it was always canon and B) Minus leaves plenty of room for Bardock to attempt his rebellion as seen in said flashback.
People just need to chill out.

The REAL real issue is, where's my boy Raditz at!? And will we see Beerus authorizing the destruction of Planet Vegeta? Actually, more important than those, is will we see baby Tarble? :p
Fear not, Chibi Raditz will appear (unless they leave out/change his scene with Chibi Vegeta). :wink:
Tarble on the other hand, I dunno is he even canon? o_O

I dunno where this trend of "Minus makes Bardock a wimp!" comes from. The first page of Minus literally starts with the narration ""The Saiyan warrior race - under Emperor Freeza's orders have been fighting day and night to conquer planets for their evil lord." And we see Bardock and his squad killing the local inhabitants of an unnamed planet - he definitely ain't no saint. The reason it only gets a single page dedicated is that we KNOW all this from the main series and it would be pointless to retread old ground. Plus, is Bardock not allowed to love another person when he's not being a warrior? He's not a total sociopath, hell even Freeza and King Cold show some level of familial affection for each other.

I dunno man, if I were a toddler and I was sent to an unknown planet I wouldn't exactly be friendly to a complete stranger who tried to take me away. Goku acting hostile makes sense to me IMO.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Notice I'm not calling this "intellectual dishonesty" because such a term presumes intellect on your end and I'm not seeing it.

Are you... are you high right now dude?

Come back when you have a functioning brain, and no sooner.

Source your claim or go away.

No need for the personal comments, can still make a point without using them as they detract the content of the post.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
@Morgan I think its very obvious I did not mean Goku's ENTIRE history copied Clark Kent's so you bringing up the question of whether he crushed Martha Kent like Grandpa Gohan just comes across as you "reaching" to illustrate some kind of point to discredit my own when really it does not work since I never said it was EXACTLY the same, I pointed out that now its far more similar to Clark's origin than it was before and there legit is no disputing that clear fact as hard as you may try.

1.Alien sent to earth *check*
2.Family gives heartfelt goodbye *check*
3.This all being done to to save him from the planet's impending doom *check*

I could go on but the there really is no need but let me once again reiterate my main point here and I'm going to put it in bold, I'm saying that Toriyama appears to have made it a effort to take this origin FURTHER towards the Clark Kent origin and that is something I just don't think we needed since as RockmanX pointed out the story worked better to differentiate it more from said Clark Kent origin within the FOG movie and gave it more of its own identity where as now its far to similar for my liking to that origin.

But whatever, you appear to be ok with this change and origin and I'm not saying Toriyama doesn't have the right to do this since its his property and he can make a origin canon anyway he wants and considering the previous origin we had was never "official canon" it makes sense for him to want to finally give us this with DB Minus, my point though is I just wish he had not go the whole "loving family" route with Bardock and Gine tearfully sending Goku off to earth before the planet's doom since as a Superman fan and DB fan the similarity made me cringe rather than be happy for this new origin, and honestly the main problem may be that I've gotten so used to all these many years of FOG being the defacto canon but this is official whether I like it or not but I still think it was a bad call IMO, I'll just agree to disagree and move on from this discussion since there is nothing you can say to change my opinion on the matter and vice versa.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
You can at least try to be honest about his backstory.
I was talking about the ENTIRE Namekian race as how they were portrayed in Namek Saga, it was shown that not all Namekians were evil but only the evil half of Kami.
Notice I'm not calling this "intellectual dishonesty" because such a term presumes intellect on your end and I'm not seeing it.
And i was gonna call you "rude", but that would assume you're capable of being anything other than a condescending asshole. **** your arguments and everything else you have to say, if you're just gonna start with a personal insult OVER a ****ing cartoon then i'm not going to humour your retarded posts!

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
@ROCKMAN X

You know those "snowflake" types that whine when some fictional media isn't catering exactly to them and when someone actually brings up a halfway decent and logical argument for why they're wrong, they go into hysterics and latch on to the part where their feelings got hurt and then also "stoop" to slurs and insults?

That's you, dude.

Dark Drakan

Admin
@ROCKMAN X

You know those "snowflake" types that whine when some fictional media isn't catering exactly to them and when someone actually brings up a halfway decent and logical argument for why they're wrong, they go into hysterics and latch on to the part where their feelings got hurt and then also "stoop" to slurs and insults?

That's you, dude.

This is meant to be a discussion, not an argument and was no need for the personal insults to present your point. Same as he shouldn’t have retaliated with words of a similar manner as just ends up going backwards and forwards and people ignore your points when you have hostile tone.

I was talking about the ENTIRE Namekian race as how they were portrayed in Namek Saga, it was shown that not all Namekians were evil but only the evil half of Kami.
And i was gonna call you "rude", but that would assume you're capable of being anything other than a condescending asshole. **** your arguments and everything else you have to say, if you're just gonna start with a personal insult OVER a ****ing cartoon then i'm not going to humour your retarded posts!

Don’t add fuel to the hostilities by being insulting back, 2 wrongs don’t make a right & all that.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
This is meant to be a discussion, not an argument and was no need for the personal insults to present your point. Same as he shouldn’t have retaliated with words of a similar manner as just ends up going backwards and forwards and people ignore your points when you have hostile tone.
True. I've deleted the offending comments from the long post.

I think we can have a discussion as long as people don't resort to alarmist nonsense and "ruined forever" claims off of a grand total of two trailers just because they don't like something the creator did.... when the creator's been doing that thing for the past 30 years or so. And they're jumping to conclusions on a media they haven't even read fully.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
True. I've deleted the offending comments from the long post.

I think we can have a discussion as long as people don't resort to alarmist nonsense and "ruined forever" claims off of a grand total of two trailers just because they don't like something the creator did.... when the creator's been doing umping to conclusions on a media they haven't even read fully.

That's the point of a discussion though, there are going to be disagreements and just because we disagree with you or this new change in origin does not make our posts "alarmist nonsense", like seriously dude you seen incapable of getting your point across without completely belittling others which does not help this discussion one bit, in fact you stifle it.

@Morgan better yet regarding why we are not happy with this change this video summarizes it perfectly where the fanbase who dislike this change are coming from, though I doubt it will do any good have a look and maybe just maybe you would be able to finally understand and respect where our dislike is coming from.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I don't need to "respect" the dislike in the least bit, because it is still alarmist nonsense from fanboys clinging to a barely-canon appearance of a secondary character from 20 years past that the original creator had no part in aside from acknowledging in two panels. The assumption of his badassery comes from his costume design and his limited dialogue even though he ultimately went out in a completely pathetic way, fodderized by a blast that wasn't meant for him specifically. Bardock is the Boba Fett of Dragonball.

I watch Geekdom. You think anyone that watches him has to kiss his ass on everything he says? Why can't you formulate your own points well enough without some Big Name Fan's help?

Here's a better question: why are you whining about "stifling discussion" here? What discussion are YOU fostering, when all you do is complain about the problems you have with a media that isn't even out yet? You don't want to have your points disagreed with or engage in anything, you just want people to mindlessly agree that "Bardock sucks now and Goku is a ripoff of Superman" when they're still not the focal point of this movie. It's about BROLY.

@Lain made a perfectly good point above on how the complaints of "Bardock is a wimp" are baseless because he's still out conquering planets, he's simply a bit more three-dimensional, and care for his own family (like he cared for his friends/his race in the original media) doesn't make him any less ruthless toward his enemies. Even King Cold cares for Freeza.

But oh look, you and Rockman both skipped RIGHT OVER THAT.

You're not looking for any civil discussion, you just wanna vomit useless complaints about a secondary character's backstory being changed in a feature film where a secondary character's backstory is getting changed, and then defer to a Big Name Fan's argument (or in Rockman's case, throw a tantrum) when things don't go your way. You can hop right off to Kanzenshuu, I'm sure they'll love you there.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I don't need to "respect" the dislike in the least bit, because it is still alarmist nonsense from fanboys clinging to a barely-canon appearance of a secondary character from 20 years past that the original creator had no part in aside from acknowledging in two panels. The assumption of his badassery comes from his costume design and his limited dialogue even though he ultimately went out in a completely pathetic way, fodderized by a blast that wasn't meant for him specifically. Bardock is the Boba Fett of Dragonball.

I watch Geekdom. You think anyone that watches him has to kiss his ass on everything he says? Why can't you formulate your own points well enough without some Big Name Fan's help?

Here's a better question: why are you whining about "stifling discussion" here? What discussion are YOU fostering, when all you do is complain about the problems you have with a media that isn't even out yet? You don't want to have your points disagreed with or engage in anything, you just want people to mindlessly agree that "Bardock sucks now and Goku is a ripoff of Superman" when they're still not the focal point of this movie. It's about BROLY.

@Lain made a perfectly good point above on how the complaints of "Bardock is a wimp" are baseless because he's still out conquering planets, he's simply a bit more three-dimensional, and care for his own family (like he cared for his friends/his race in the original media) doesn't make him any less ruthless toward his enemies. Even King Cold cares for Freeza.

But oh look, you and Rockman both skipped RIGHT OVER THAT.

You're not looking for any civil discussion, you just wanna vomit useless complaints about a secondary character's backstory being changed in a feature film where a secondary character's backstory is getting changed, and then defer to a Big Name Fan's argument (or in Rockman's case, throw a tantrum) when things don't go your way. You can hop right off to Kanzenshuu, I'm sure they'll love you there.

Legit question how old are you?

Is it really that impossible for you to have maturity in a discussion and NOT just completely take a huge crap on everyone's opinions that differ from your own?

At the end of the day you do realize this is ALL subjective right and your opinion is no better than our own right?

I'm not taking a huge dump on your opinion because your positive of this change, how come you think its alright to do so towards mine because I just so happen to not like it?

Dark Drakan

Admin
I don't need to "respect" the dislike in the least bit, because it is still alarmist nonsense from fanboys

Why can't you formulate your own points well enough without some Big Name Fan's help?

Dont need to agree with someones opinion but there are ways of disagreeing and debating. Shouting people down and labelling them fanboys and saying that their opinions are alarmist nonsense & to 'hop off' elsewhere is not really the correct and mature way to do it.

There has to be a level of respect for interactions between members regardless of whether you respect or agree with someones actual opinion. Confrontational tone and personal attacks on peoples intelligence and knowledge of source material isnt going to lead to any sort of civil discussion on anyones part.

There was a thread made about 5 years ago which detailed this type of forum interaction and the harm it causes and our stance on it. The more time we have to spend babysitting members the less time we have to work on more productive content and bringing potentially exciting future content to you all.

If people continue to ignore our suggestions & cant keep it civil & continue to derail topic we have the tools at our disposal to ban people from commenting on threads...

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I suppose dropping asterisked F-bombs, directly calling someone an asshole and their posts as "retarded" *is* the mature way to do it?

@ToCool74

there is legit no disputing it since even the the most casual fan of the two series can see this,

@Morgan "you bringing up the question [...] just comes across as you "reaching" to illustrate some kind of point to discredit my own when really it does not work [...] there legit is no disputing that clear fact as hard as you may try.

[...]

let me once again reiterate my main point here and I'm going to put it in bold [...]

But whatever, you appear to be ok with this change and origin [...] I'll just agree to disagree and move on from this discussion since there is nothing you can say to change my opinion on the matter and vice versa.

I'm just *basking* in the positivity in which you presented your posts when you called my points a "reach", decided to bold your main point like I didn't get it, and said there was "no disputing" that Goku was ripping off Superman and calling it "clear fact" only for you to backpedal now and say it's subjective opinion, were dismissive about the fact that I didn't have a problem with this specific retcon considering it's a drop in the bucket of multiple retcons in the Dragonball canon even as Toriyama was writing it, and the concession to "agree to disagree" because you kept wanting to be negative and couldn't change my opinion to point in the same direction.

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Ugh, just stahp it alreddy.

You wanna get into it with staff, you do that. Privately.

ALL antagonists in this thread need to take a step back and try to stop making your points in a personal way.

Come on, guys. You are all so much better than this - and you know it.

Having said that, the next person to ignore a staff member suggesting that they chill gets booted from the thread entirely.

Luvs ya :kiss:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
There’s a clear difference between a discussion, a debate, and an argument. This right here between all of you is an argument, and it doesn’t really matter at this point who or what started it. And the problem is when this happens someone inevitably gets a warning for not dropping it or gets locked out of the thread or maybe even both. The point is nothing like that would need to happen if people could try to restrain themselves from responding to something that they themselves know is getting them heated up. All it ends up in is pointless back and forth insults and belittling of opinions and that to me isn’t really what discussing things is all about. Everyone has their own opinions and even if we really don’t agree with them or don’t like their opinions that doesn’t mean we have to talk down at the them, call them names, make them feel stupid or anything else of a negative nature.

We don’t want to ban people from threads because that doesn’t really help anything. What would happen if I banned all of you out of this thread right now? There would be absolutely no point in having this thread so it may as well be locked, right? Do I want that to happen? No. Do you want that to happen? No.

So just take our warnings and forget about anything that’s been said and leave all hard feelings behind and carry on the discussion.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
News on the upcoming Broly movie:
It's being dubbed this month. For people in Japan, the movie will be screened to 1000 Weekly Jump or V-Jump lottery winners on November 14th, at the Nippon Budokan a month earlier than the theatrical release.
That "Older Cabba" figure is actually a random Saiyan named Beets. The fact that he's only shown in flashbacks is very telling.
King Vegeta exiling Broly to a remote planet is said to happen 41 years before the start of the movie, meaning that not only are Goku, Broly, and Vegeta old (in Goku and Vegeta's case, older thanks to the RoSaT/HTC), but Paragus is super old. :p There will also be a lot more family drama between Broly and Vegeta thanks to their fathers, which is what Norihiro Hayashida (producer of the film) seems to means by calling this a "grand space opera".
Art of the Saiyans as kids, that confirms that Vegeta is older than the other two and that he was not born at the exact same time as the others: there is no retcon of his age to be younger than he was before.

For everything else:
A Super Saiyan Blue Goku balloon is going to feature in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. This may be a long-time-coming, well deserved inclusion into popular media or it could be like getting Rick Rolled about a year after it got popular and everyone moved on to the next big prank meme. We'll see.
DBS is teasing a return in 2019, which is... hopefully not a retread of the Broly movie unless it's going to more accurately cover the "three hour script" Toriyama had before they shaved it down. I would still not object to a three hour cut of the movie instead.
Anyone that attended the Saiyan Double Feature hosted by Fathom Events received a new Dragonball Z trading card with Son Goku & Vegeta and Gogeta on either side of it. Gee, that's not hinting anything at all! :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom