• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why should Vergil NOT come back? Read FIRST post before responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

HQQR - Solid

THE AWESOME
Re: Why should Vergil NOT come back?

Lol Capcom tried to make Vergil as unappealing as possible, though only by japanese standards was he a dick. Actually, most japanese Devil May Cry fans don't like Vergil very much at all, then again they didn't factor in that the other portion of the world would love him. American fans like him the most actually, so I guess the next time that they want to make a character a "complete dick so nobody likes him" just make a person japs like :/

Vergil is awesome, and fun to play with... <.<; BUT he's dead.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium

When i said he was dead, i was being sarcastic.
So from what i can tell NO answer has been good enough.
Personally, i think Chloe hit the nail on the head.

King of Hell

Must Die

Vergil was never a villain, he never had a change of heart, he was always looking for power to "protect" the ones he loves, he never wanted to kill his brother, Dante. he just wanted the amulet to gain power, to "protect" the ones he loves. in the end, he failed to gain power, but he charged ahead to avenge his mother's death, which he was probably planning to do from the beginning. he told Dante to go because he knew Dante would stay if it means helping Vergil, but he insisted because he did love his brother & he wasn't "EVIL", he was more of an anti-hero, or more accurately, anti-villain, he sets for a goal, then he does it no matter the consequences. Arkham has the profile of a villain, not Vergil.

anyway, you guys seem like you want him back indefinitely, which is waaaay too cheesy. when I said I wanted him back, I meant like one or maybe even two games, to serve as a plot device & push the plot further, I love Vergil, but come on, do you really want him to stay & turn into Kratos V2.0? in my ideal DMC world, Vergil would appear in a cliffhanger in the end of DMC5 for a final Vergil appearance in DMC6, not walking around killing demons as Kratos 2.0. Vergil deserves a dramatic un-cheesy send-off for his character, not to stay until he gets dull.

& no I don't know how can he come back in an epic way, but if the game had good writers, they can think of something.

moseslmpg

HQQR - Solid;266782 said:
Lol Capcom tried to make Vergil as unappealing as possible, though only by japanese standards was he a dick. Actually, most japanese Devil May Cry fans don't like Vergil very much at all, then again they didn't factor in that the other portion of the world would love him. American fans like him the most actually, so I guess the next time that they want to make a character a "complete dick so nobody likes him" just make a person japs like :/

Vergil is awesome, and fun to play with... <.<; BUT he's dead.
If that is true, and I seriously doubt it is, Capcom is incompetent to the point of being savant-like. They tried to make him as unappealing as possible by making him the pretty boy, badass, katana-wielding sympathetic villain with cooler moves than Dante? I agree they tried to make him a dick, and sort of succeeded in that, but that is mutually exclusive with him being unappealing. Bad guys are almost always more appealing. I think Americans like DMC more than Japanese people in general though, so the point is moot.

Anyway, is anyone else going to offer anything? Chloe's response was the most appropriate, but as we saw, none of those reasons are necessary and they are easily resolved.

KOH: What about Dante? Does he deserve a send-off as well? He's basically like Kratos without any of the angst that makes Kratos so appealing. It seems to me that if Vergil should leave the series, then so should Dante, right?

(Discuss whether Vergil was evil in another thread please, everyone. That would get us too off topic.)

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie

moseslmpg;266817 said:
It seems to me that if Vergil should leave the series, then so should Dante, right?

DMC has much less to do with Vergil than it does Dante. The main 2 characters the series has focused on are Dante and Sparda. Vergil and Dante might be twin brothers but that doesn't automaticly make them both as significant as eachother. The relationship between Dante and Vergil (at least from Vergils perspective) came down to a 'there can only be one' showdown. Dante now is that one and thats what people mean when they say that his story has been told the series shouldn't be an endless struggle over who will be the next Sparda.
Vergil turning good and fighting alongside Dante seems very unlikely. Especially now that the Sparda sword has awoken again Vergil couldn't stand living the rest of his life inches away from everything he ever wanted, it would inevitably turn into a fight over the sword again.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium

I can't see why this is still being debated, no answer is gonna be perfect... so the thread has more chance of dying because it will just get boring.

Vergil has never really played much part in the series(apart from DMC3), so, is it really gonna make a difference if he comes back? Personally, I don't think so.

If you want to start a debate about whether Dante should stay or go, open another thread.

moseslmpg

Darth Angelo;266825 said:
DMC has much less to do with Vergil than it does Dante. The main 2 characters the series has focused on are Dante and Sparda. Vergil and Dante might be twin brothers but that doesn't automaticly make them both as significant as eachother. The relationship between Dante and Vergil (at least from Vergils perspective) came down to a 'there can only be one' showdown. Dante now is that one and thats what people mean when they say that his story has been told the series shouldn't be an endless struggle over who will be the next Sparda.
Vergil turning good and fighting alongside Dante seems very unlikely. Especially now that the Sparda sword has awoken again Vergil couldn't stand living the rest of his life inches away from everything he ever wanted, it would inevitably turn into a fight over the sword again.
DMC only essentially deals with Sparda. Neither Vergil nor Dante are necessary to the series, and the fact that Dante has been the protagonists so far is merely an (philosophical) accident of the series, not a necessity.

The twins do have equal significance, of course they do. Why wouldn't they? Because people like Dante more? Their relationship did not come down to a Highlander-esque showdown either. It may, eventually, but it is far too early to make that call.

You're assuming that if Vergil comes back their relationship and interaction has to be the exact same, or totally opposite, which is not necessary and thus not really relevant to my question; Vergil doesn't have to come back as a rival to Dante for the title of LDK, or as a totally good guy, or even in the main series. I'm interested in necessary aspects of Vergil or the series that mean he should never, ever come back, under any circumstances.

VB: I'm not looking for a perfect answer, I'm looking for a convincing one that relies on reason rather than lack of imagination on the part of the naysayer and tautologies, etc. I'm not interested in what "personally" people think, because that is not a convincing or rational reason for anything. Personally, I don't want Nero to come back, but I think he actually should come back to resolve his story. Can you understand the difference?

If you don't like the thread or question, no one is forcing you to post, and in fact, I'd prefer posts germane to the topic rather than tangential responses.

----------------

It seems there are two contradictory streams here. Some people, as VB, say that since Vergil never played a huge role in the series he shouldn't come back. But it seems other people feel as if his potential has been exhausted and that if he came back it would be unnecessary and superfluous, i.e. he would take over the spotlight. Strange...

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin

Why did Capcom include anyone else, if they were unnecessary? I don't understand what you mean by DMC essentially dealing with Sparda and Vergil and Dante being unnecessary.

Meg

@moses- I think the confusion on how to answer your question is coming from how you worded it. You say you want to know why Vergil shouldn't come back, not why he can't, yes?. Here's the issue with that. Can and can't mean if something is possible or not. Should and shouldn't is more opinionated. So you want to know why Vergil shouldn't come back, but you don't want opinions? That's a nice contradiction right there.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014

Well, here's a question for you Moses.

What difference would it make if Vergil did come back or not?

He had maybe 10 minutes screen time in DMC3, even less in DMC1.
Okay, look from a fictional perspective, you need a strong and solid secondary character. Secondary characters build your protagonist, helps the character to develop.
In DMC3, Vergil was cast as the antagonist (Okay I'm sorry I said villain before, bad choice of words, alright?) and Lady as the secondary character, because it was because of her that Dante finally got direction in life and learnt how to prioritize what is important and what isn't. She wouldn't have been able to guide his character to that conclusion if it wasn't for Vergil. Dante's character didn't actually develop and improve until he had that last fight with Vergil. Basically, if it wasn't for Vergil in DMC3, Dante would still be a c0cky yo-momma spewing idiot in DMC4, because he wouldn't have had any growth. In that sense, Vergil served his purpose in the game.

In DMC1 again, Trish was cast as the secondary character, but Nelo played a good plot device. The whole game revolved around Dante being faced with losing his 'brother' and 'mother' all over again, and being too late to protect/save them. It was basically history repeating itself, it wouldn't have worked if Nelo/Vergil wasn't included in there, and from Dante's character I've gathered he's got a soft heart, especially where family is concerned, which is what helped tune him down in DMC4.

The whole series revolves around Sparda. We're first introduced into the game via the legend of Sparda, followed immediately by Dante, the Son of Sparda, who simply put is the walking-talking reminder of Sparda himself. DMC wouldn't be DMC if you took Dante or Sparda out of the equation, because even if Nero lovers won't agree with me on this, Dante HAS made DMC.

So, where is Vergil in all this? Nowhere. Why? He's not needed anymore. He served his purpose, told his story, there is no need for him and therefore he shouldn't be brought back. It smacks of lack of imagination - which, come on, I'm sure SOME of you thought Capcom was lacking a bit of imagination where it concerned Vergil's character. Generally identical twins in games and anime give the impression of laziness. Too much hassle to create a new character, so let's just make them identical twins and cut our work down, take the easy route. But anyway, I meant to say, it smacks of lack of imagination from the writers' side if they do bring Vergil back.

So...here. I'll be able to give you a better answer if you can answer me this, Moses. What more could Vergil really contribute to the series?

Darth Angelo

moseslmpg;266838 said:
DMC only essentially deals with Sparda. Neither Vergil nor Dante are necessary to the series, and the fact that Dante has been the protagonists so far is merely an (philosophical) accident of the series, not a necessity.
If they have the balls for it I am hoping they do infact give both the twins a rest in the future. In a way you kind of answered your own question there.

moseslmpg;266838 said:
The twins do have equal significance, of course they do. Why wouldn't they? Because people like Dante more? Their relationship did not come down to a Highlander-esque showdown either. It may, eventually, but it is far too early to make that call
Dante obtains the full power of their father, defeats Vergil once and for all and goes on to avenge their mother by fulfilling his destiny and defeating Mundus just like Sparda did? Mundus may not be dead but Dante is the one. (I can't think of any other way of putting that)

moseslmpg;266838 said:
You're assuming that if Vergil comes back their relationship and interaction has to be the exact same, or totally opposite, which is not necessary and thus not really relevant to my question; Vergil doesn't have to come back as a rival to Dante for the title of LDK, or as a totally good guy, or even in the main series. I'm interested in necessary aspects of Vergil or the series that mean he should never, ever come back, under any circumstances....
Like I said above the fight between them is over now and Dante has everything that was passed down from Sparda and Eva. Anything that Vergil can bring to the series now will be so superficial it's not even worth considering. Just as Dante doesn't really serve a purpose anymore Vergil's character depends of his determination and clarity of where his life is going. He is not the kind of character who mills around killing time by hacking up demons for a laugh. He needs to be driven and focused in his life, thats what makes him such an awe inspiring character. And he is only driven by one thing, that which Dante has already won fair and square.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014

^Your post made so much more sense than mine did. Anyway, well said DA *applause*

HQQR - Solid

THE AWESOME

@Meg:

Seems like some people can't survive without making undermining statements. :/

I think you know what i mean.

moseslmpg

Angel;266853 said:
Why did Capcom include anyone else, if they were unnecessary? I don't understand what you mean by DMC essentially dealing with Sparda and Vergil and Dante being unnecessary.
By this I simply mean that the only feature necessary for a game to be considered a DMC game is some connection to Sparda. Dante, Vergil, Nero, and whatever other characters they come up with are incidental, secondary. This is keeping in mind specifically the oft quoted idea that "Dante is DMC." DMC4 proves that this isn't the case, for people who can't work it out in their minds (because Dante was not the main character).

When I say unnecessary, I don't mean anything disparaging. And some of the most important details in games/fiction/life are important precisely because they are unnecessary.
meg127;266855 said:
@moses- I think the confusion on how to answer your question is coming from how you worded it. You say you want to know why Vergil shouldn't come back, not why he can't, yes?. Here's the issue with that. Can and can't mean if something is possible or not. Should and shouldn't is more opinionated. So you want to know why Vergil shouldn't come back, but you don't want opinions? That's a nice contradiction right there.
I think the confusion stems from people's misunderstanding of what "should" means, and maybe don't understand what it means to follow the guidelines.

Should, as opposed to can, deals with a normative or prescriptive issue, rather than one of possibility. It isn't really opinion related at all. Normative statements are usually based on facts or some logic. For example: People should brush their teeth or else they will have tooth decay/gum disease. Note how this is not an opinion, it is not just something I think, this is medical science or at least based on it. Another example: People should eat or else they will die. Again, science, not me.

There is no contradiction. When I say I don't want opinions, I just mean like, no "I don't like Vergil," "Vergil is a lame character," "it is impossible to bring him back," etc. It is totally fine if that is what you think, but that is not what I'm looking for in this thread.
Chloe_Ryder;266907 said:
Well, here's a question for you Moses.

What difference would it make if Vergil did come back or not?

It would help actualize the great potential that the DMC series has by opening up new, perhaps more esoteric avenues through which to explore the universe. And of course, it would give Dante a foil and catalyze his own character growth, as well as possibly Nero.

He had maybe 10 minutes screen time in DMC3, even less in DMC1.

All the more reason for him to have more spotlight time. ;)

Okay, look from a fictional perspective, you need a strong and solid secondary character. Secondary characters build your protagonist, helps the character to develop.

Vergil seems to fit that bill perfectly to me, although I disagree with the idea that Vergil is necessarily a secondary character.

In DMC3, Vergil was cast as the antagonist (Okay I'm sorry I said villain before, bad choice of words, alright?) and Lady as the secondary character, because it was because of her that Dante finally got direction in life and learnt how to prioritize what is important and what isn't. She wouldn't have been able to guide his character to that conclusion if it wasn't for Vergil. Dante's character didn't actually develop and improve until he had that last fight with Vergil. Basically, if it wasn't for Vergil in DMC3, Dante would still be a c0cky yo-momma spewing idiot in DMC4, because he wouldn't have had any growth. In that sense, Vergil served his purpose in the game.

I agree.

In DMC1 again, Trish was cast as the secondary character, but Nelo played a good plot device. The whole game revolved around Dante being faced with losing his 'brother' and 'mother' all over again, and being too late to protect/save them. It was basically history repeating itself, it wouldn't have worked if Nelo/Vergil wasn't included in there, and from Dante's character I've gathered he's got a soft heart, especially where family is concerned, which is what helped tune him down in DMC4.

I think it would have worked fine it Nelo hadn't been included, because Dante only found out at the end and it didn't affect his actions at all. He was going to go kill Mundus anyway, and finding out who Nelo was was just a consolation prize.

The whole series revolves around Sparda. We're first introduced into the game via the legend of Sparda, followed immediately by Dante, the Son of Sparda, who simply put is the walking-talking reminder of Sparda himself. DMC wouldn't be DMC if you took Dante or Sparda out of the equation, because even if Nero lovers won't agree with me on this, Dante HAS made DMC.

Alas, your first error. Sparda is DMC, necessarily, essentially. Dante is DMC only in an accidental and arbitrary sense. There's nothing about Dante that makes him essential to DMC. The only reason people think he defines DMC is because, so far, he has defined DMC; it is a tautology. To illustrate: If Vergil had been the main character of DMC1, 2, and 3, then people would be saying "Vergil is DMC," I would be explaining how they were wrong, and this thread would be named "Why should Dante NOT come back?" I hope you can appreciate the distinction, even if you don't agree.

DMC would be DMC without Dante or Vergil or Nero. This is why we can have DMC fanfics, for instance, that don't include any of these characters. What is more important than the characters is the style, and the themes, and the story.

So, where is Vergil in all this? Nowhere. Why? He's not needed anymore. He served his purpose, told his story, there is no need for him and therefore he shouldn't be brought back. It smacks of lack of imagination - which, come on, I'm sure SOME of you thought Capcom was lacking a bit of imagination where it concerned Vergil's character. Generally identical twins in games and anime give the impression of laziness. Too much hassle to create a new character, so let's just make them identical twins and cut our work down, take the easy route. But anyway, I meant to say, it smacks of lack of imagination from the writers' side if they do bring Vergil back.

Ah, second fault. To assume that making them twins is lazy is to overgeneralize and assume that all cliches are meaningless/lazy in themselves. Cliches exists precisely because they are signs, shortcuts, if you will, to archetypes. Hence you have the half breed, the larger-than-life father, the savior of humanity, the power of humanity/soul/love, etc. If you are going to accuse Vergil of being a cliche, then he is in good company with almost everything in the series. A moot point and an unfounded one (read the Trinity of Fates book or anything by Jung).

And, btw, they did create a new character with Vergil in DMC3. Just because they used the same face model doesn't mean they made a carbon copy of Dante, and to even suggest that is repugnant.

So...here. I'll be able to give you a better answer if you can answer me this, Moses. What more could Vergil really contribute to the series?
For starters, Vergil could make Hell a legitimate locale to explore in the series. Given that there is a huge chunk of time where he was stuck in Hell, at least 10 years. Even if he was a puppet that whole time, he would have a subconscious idea of what it was like to live in Hell. By having him explore Hell in a more lucid state, we could have the first chance in the series to see the culture, technology, areas, etc. of Hell, as well as see the various varieties of demons in their natural habitat, and learn of the history of Hell.

Outside of Hell, assuming Vergil is in the human world, he would open the possibility of exploring the more esoteric or occult aspect of the DMC universe, one which is hardly ever implied in the series. Think of the ambience of DMC1 and that's what I mean. I'm thinking other demon hybrids, human cultists, demonic possession and exorcisms, demonic plots insinuating themselves under the regular jobs that Dante works (like the initiative for instigating a worldwide DT using modified human babies to bypass the barrier), and basically any job too "dark" for Dante to know about or dirty his hands with.

Beyond that, in terms of gameplay, you have the opportunity to go more "magick" based with Vergil, consider his adeptness in energy manipulation. The combat could also be more technical or precise, given his style, with weapons that have different stances and such-like.

In terms of story, finally, of course there is the foil to Dante's human-centric character and a welcome exteriorization of Dante's Shadow. Vergil would provide the perfect counterpoint to Dante in a storyline in which Dante succumbed to his dark side, precisely because Vergil knows how it feels to be a slave to his instincts as Nelo, and also because he had intimate knowledge of the effect of demonic power on a person. Also, given Vergil's quest to claim his birthright as Sparda's son and replace his father , his travels could easily take him across the world and Hell to many places and people that Sparda visited or trained with, etc. thus giving us a chance to learn much more about Sparda's legacy directly. (Dante has Sparda's soul, but Vergil seeks to emulate him explicitly, and could fashion himself as the new LDK, nameless wandering swordsman, etc.) And ultimately, there could be a real final showdown, either before or after DMC2, where Dante and Vergil decide to claim their roles as protector of the human world and scion to the throne of Hell, respectively, in preparation for a final cataclysm (the Apocalypse I talk so much about). A Vergil series could run parallel to Dante's series, and its more esoteric nature would allow it to include more things about the mythology of the series.

Anyway, those are just a few things, and I'm not considering prequels or Nero even. I've given them in general form here, but I can tell you specifics through VM or PM if you would like.
Darth Angelo;266911 said:
If they have the balls for it I am hoping they do infact give both the twins a rest in the future. In a way you kind of answered your own question there.

I hope they do venture out beyond the twins, but as long as people think "Dante is DMC" I'm sure they will continue to beat him like the dead horse he has become.

Dante obtains the full power of their father, defeats Vergil once and for all and goes on to avenge their mother by fulfilling his destiny and defeating Mundus just like Sparda did? Mundus may not be dead but Dante is the one. (I can't think of any other way of putting that)

Firstly, Dante does not have the full power of his father, at all. Secondly, he didn't necessarily defeat Vergil once and for all either. But I will concede that he has fulfilled his destiny and thus he has stagnated, and is in need of a catalyst to drive him forward. He did defeat Mundus, but I was under the impression that there was more to Sparda than defeating Mundus and being the protector of humanity.

Like I said above the fight between them is over now and Dante has everything that was passed down from Sparda and Eva. Anything that Vergil can bring to the series now will be so superficial it's not even worth considering. Just as Dante doesn't really serve a purpose anymore Vergil's character depends of his determination and clarity of where his life is going. He is not the kind of character who mills around killing time by hacking up demons for a laugh. He needs to be driven and focused in his life, thats what makes him such an awe inspiring character. And he is only driven by one thing, that which Dante has already won fair and square.
Who said they had to fight? And who said he would be fighting demons for a laugh? That's Dante's job. Those aren't the only circumstances Vergil has to come back in. I think you are dead on about what makes Vergil so awesome, but missed the target completely by thinking anything he could add would be superficial. And anyway, nothing is more powerful than such a character that has been broken and is now aimless and hollow inside, because they must undertake the quest to regain their old self. I hope you can appreciate that even though I can't explain it.

I can appreciate your perspective, but it applies just as equally to Dante as to Vergil, so as far as I'm concerned it isn't an argument against only Vergil coming back. It is more of an argument against useless fluff in DMC, which I definitely agree with. I just disagree with exclusively lumping Vergil in as useless fluff.

Darth Angelo

moseslmpg;266955 said:
Who said they had to fight? And who said he would be fighting demons for a laugh? That's Dante's job. Those aren't the only circumstances Vergil has to come back in. I think you are dead on about what makes Vergil so awesome, but missed the target completely by thinking anything he could add would be superficial. And anyway, nothing is more powerful than such a character that has been broken and is now aimless and hollow inside, because they must undertake the quest to regain their old self.
Apart from his quest to regain the Sparda sword once again what would his quest to regain his old self consist of exactly? I am all for Vergil coming back for a big reason but he never really seemed to have any other big motives other than obtaining power. The only thing I could think of is the realization of a stronger power inside the both of them (DMC2 Majin form) But that goes back to why on earth would Mundus allow Vergil's body to survive after his defeat? We know how cold he is and he is not an idiot, destroying Vergil's physical body as a failsafe is common sense in his eyes. Vergil's body surviving would be a massive contradiction of Mundus' character.

moseslmpg;266955 said:
Firstly, Dante does not have the full power of his father, at all.
Well you know what I meant obviously Dante will always be half a human but everything Sparda put into that sword he is now able to access and it is stronger than anything Yamato and Rebellion are cabable of.

moseslmpg

Darth Angelo;267012 said:
Apart from his quest to regain the Sparda sword once again what would his quest to regain his old self consist of exactly? I am all for Vergil coming back for a big reason but he never really seemed to have any other big motives other than obtaining power. The only thing I could think of is the realization of a stronger power inside the both of them (DMC2 Majin form) But that goes back to why on earth would Mundus allow Vergil's body to survive after his defeat? We know how cold he is and he is not an idiot, destroying Vergil's physical body as a failsafe is common sense in his eyes. Vergil's body surviving would be a massive contradiction of Mundus' character.

Regaining his memories of tha past 10 years maybe? Piecing together his identity, or making a new one for himself a la LDK? Or setting out to cement his place as ruler of Hell? Going about his quest for power (which is not foolish per se) in a more wise, multifaceted way, i.e. following Sparda's footsteps, training with people Sparda trained with, maybe trying to find out what Dante has that he doesn't.

There's nothing wrong with trying to attain power, anymore than trying to protect humanity. These are just the two streams of Sparda which the twins represent.

Mundus would not have to be alive by the time Vergil returned to Earth. He was severely weakened in Dante's battle with him and it is conceivable that Vergil or another rival devil could take him out in that weakened state. As for the whole artificial body, not that I agree with it, but it is a moot point. Just because the body is artificial doesn't mean it will dissipate or die after a time, and in fact Vergil could be afforded more longevity because of it. (I don't agree with the artificial body theory though, because there is no difference between it being an artificial body and a natural body, so again, point is moot).

You see how the point about Mundus is simply a symptom of lack of imagination? The question about Vergil's motives is warranted, but it can be resolved, it is not a necessary objection.

Well you know what I meant obviously Dante will always be half a human but everything Sparda put into that sword he is now able to access and it is stronger than anything Yamato and Rebellion are cabable of.
I don't think so...I'm not sure where you're getting that from, but first of all, the point of the DMC series is not to "win" by getting the Sparda sword. Secondly, Dante has used the Sparda sword once and he couldn't even finish Mundus off by himself. The whole point of Dante's character in DMC3 was that the soul or humanity is far more important than arbitrary power levels. And there's nothing to indicate that Vergil wouldn't be able to use the Sparda sword with equal or superior skill if he had it. It is kind of simplistic and strange to assume that the Sparda sword constitutes the telos of the entire series and that characters are just basically robots whose only goal in life is to attain it.

You know, your argument sounds more like an argument against DMC games in general featuring the twins. Because, if we assume Vergil's story is over, and that Dante's story is over (fulfilled his destiney, avenged Eva, "won DMC" by getting the Sparda sword), then there's no reason for either of them to come back, and implicitly no reason for any other DMC games since Dante has already fully realized Sparda's legacy. It seems to me that this is a narrow-minded view of the series which unnecessarily limits it; it seems like a cop-out. DMC doesn't have to be like that, and it really shouldn't tbh.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.

For me Vergil shouldnt come back because he has played a big part of the events even when he didnt intended to do it.

1: Vergil wanted the power of Sparda, this called Arhkan attention, this event started all events on DMC3, thse events allowed Dante to reclaim the Force Edge which will help him to defeat Mundus in the future, his desicion to saty in hell started another chain of events that made him end as Nelo Angelo, also these events also allowed Dante to mature.

At this point he had started another chain of events, lets say that Mundus got overconfident because he defeated a SOS(Son of Sparda) and then he probably choosed to start the invasion.

2: At his third defeat as Nelo Angelo he seemly exploded leaving the amulet behind, thjis allowed Dante to use the Sparda Sword, and then defeat Mundus.

So Vergil has played a bigger part of the events of the DMC that he intended, and his search for power started a bigger chain of events that started with the tower in DMC3 and ended with Mundus defeat in DMC1, this also allowed Dante to unlock his demonic powers like DT.

He has already played a much bigger part of what he wanted, and he was a very important character.

I dont see why he should come back because he has already gived Dante all he needed to repel another invasion if there is going to be another one, it would be stupid to make him return just because he wants Yamato back, and it will be the same if Nero was his son ( I think im not the only one in the forum that hates this theory).

I dont know if my post made sense, so im sorry about that, english is not my first language(If i was for genetics i would have to leard another 8 languages D: ) so here is my theory.

He has made enought, even when he didnt wanted all this to happen....

moseslmpg

OK, I don't think you read the first post, but alright I'll give you a pass.

Do you think Dante should come back then, given that his story is over as well?

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.

Î think that has nothing to do with this topic but i will answer quickly.

I belive that DMC2 gave a chance to expand his story a little more.

EDIT:BTW i think that question has no perfect answer.

moseslmpg

That didn't answer my question about Dante. I asked why should he come back, if his story is over as well? Why pick favorites with Dante and dump Vergil?

Yes, it isn't really the topic of this thread (although it is specified in my first post), but you didn't answer my initial question anyway, so you were basically off topic already. I just let it slide because I'm beginning to think there's no point in asking people to give a rational argument for anything.

And whether there is a perfect answer is irrelevant. I just want a good answer, a convincing one. It could be that there is no good rational argument for why Vergil should never to return to the series, that is something I have considered. But I'm not sure if I should take this forum as a reliable sample of DMC fandom or not.

Edit: I don't mean to sound mean to you, since English isn't your first language and you can be excused, but I'm just getting tired of people not even trying to follow the direction in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom