• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
The Crysis Remastered Trilogy. I've played 2/3 of 1 (the rest of the game is frustrating and not fun), beat 2 last night, and I am current on 3.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Crysis 3 definitely has the best gameplay out of all the games. All the options you get for weapons and ways to stealth around or take out your enemies are in good variety. The Predator Bow is a f#cking game breaker. I am starting see how people say it's a shorter game, but I don't exactly see that as bad thing. What people seem to forget to mention is that a lot of these missions are long! Crysis 1 & 2 have more levels, but a lot of them are not that long. Though the first game drags at the last 1/3 and becomes a slog. Plus, 3 brings back secondary objectives that reward you for risky exploration. Something that was missing in 2.

The game has a total of 8 missions, and I did skip the tutorial. I am currently on mission 5, Red Star Rising. So far my play time is 3:47:50, so I've been going through the game pretty quickly. I have not rushed and bothered to do nearly every secondary objective so far. The game may be shorter, but that does not Crysis 3, any less good. I'll finish up this game probably by Wednesday or Thursday.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I am starting see how people say it's a shorter game, but I don't exactly see that as bad thing.

When the game costs full price, you damn bet it's a bad thing. At that point you better hope to God the game in question has an amazing multiplayer component for it to be even remotely considered good value. And Crysis's multiplayer hasn't been great since the first game. 2 and 3's online was ok but Crysis 1's Power Struggle mode was the stuff. I remember hoping the sequels would bring that back only to be sorely disappointed every time.

Imo buying games like Crysis 3 as part of a bundle such as the remastered trilogy like you did or later down the line when the price drops are the only sensible ways. Crysis 1 was the only one in the series that offered a package worth full price. Warhead was awesome too and in fact the best campaign out of all the Crysis games, it irritates me that they didn't remaster that one as well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
When the game costs full price, you damn bet it's a bad thing. At that point you better hope to God the game in question has an amazing multiplayer component for it to be even remotely considered good value.
I get it, but just because something is short, does not automatically make it bad. As long as the gameplay loop is good and there is great level design, then that is all that matters to me. I know the multiplayer for the Crysis games varied on who's their favorite or the best, but I never cared personally for competitive multiplayer in most FPS games. Crysis 1 is 2/3 of a good game, and bad during the last 1/3. Crysis 2 is a great overall package, and Crysis 3 has the best gameplay overall. I got Crysis 2 back in 2011 as birthday gift and my dad paid full price for it. I played, beat it, and later traded it in. I never bothered getting 3 due to lack of interests at the time, and just getting away from the FPS trends at the time.

I got Crysis Remastered Trilogy at $50, so it was worth the price for 3 games (no multiplayer and no Warhead). That is $16.67 per game, so it balances out. Now if the price was too high and not much content lacking, that's another story. I would either wait for sale or price drop. I had to do that with Oneechanbara Origin. They charge $75 for the Deluxe Edition, and the Standard version never drops in price. It's a budget series that should not cost that much. The sale took an entire year and I got for $47. Compared to Z2: Chaos, the content was definitely lacking by comparison. The last game was reasonably price at $40 digital, and $50 physical. I got the physical version, because of the bonuses and CD soundtrack. Z2 you can digital for $20 and goes on sale for about $10-15 nowadays, so it add extra insult on Origin's part.

Also, I find all the Crysis games more fun and aged better a majority of the Call of Duty games. Better than all of the Far Cry games. Mainly 2-6, Blood Dragon, and all of the other dumb spin-offs. FC: Instincts is still good and Crytek definitely took inspiration from their original FC game and Instincts (which was done by in-house by Ubisoft). Which is why I love them so much.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
just because something is short, does not automatically make it bad

It does make it a bad value. Hence why I said imo it's only sensible to buy such games when the price drops or when included in a bundle like the remastered trilogy. In fact, this trilogy I think is only worth buying cause of the fact that there are 3 games in it for 50 bucks rather than the actual remaster job cause lol, 2 and 3 already looked so great that even in the original state they can very well pass for modern games and the only really noticeable difference is the addition of RT reflections.

I'm still sour they didn't bring back multiplayer though. Especially for the first game, cause that, along with the superior range of actions available to the player compared to the sequels, was part of why it was the best of the series despite a meh last part in the campaign. I understand that it might add costs to keep servers running and **** but then just go the COD route and have players make their own servers, like it's crazy that I can still play Quake Wars (came out around the same time as Crysis) online thanks to that but not a single game of Power Struggle from Crysis 1 unless I install an obscure 3rd party fan made client. I mean props to those guys for doing it but I betcha the multiplayer would be quite a bit more populated if it was accessible from the actual official game itself. A shame really.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
It does make it a bad value.
Depending on how the game is and that person's preference. As long as there is great replay value or the price is not outrageous/over priced, I usually don't mind a short game. It's why I brought up my problems with Oneechanbara Origin.

In fact, this trilogy I think is only worth buying cause of the fact that there are 3 games in it for 50 bucks rather than the actual remaster job cause lol, 2 and 3 already looked so great that even in the original state they can very well pass for modern games and the only really noticeable difference is the addition of RT reflections.
Yes, they still look good even without the extra polish, but Crytek did put effort towards 2 & 3 especially.

I'm still sour they didn't bring back multiplayer though. Especially for the first game, cause that, along with the superior range of actions available to the player compared to the sequels, was part of why it was the best of the series despite a meh last part in the campaign. I understand that it might add costs to keep servers running and **** but then just go the COD route and have players make their own servers, like it's crazy that I can still play Quake Wars (came out around the same time as Crysis) online thanks to that but not a single game of Power Struggle from Crysis 1 unless I install an obscure 3rd party fan made client. I mean props to those guys for doing it but I betcha the multiplayer would be quite a bit more populated if it was accessible from the actual official game itself. A shame really.

I understand your feelings with the multiplayer being gone. Like the Uncharted Collection, it was not a big lost for me, but I know people enjoyed them. Regardless, I am more than happy with what we got. They're a collection of mostly solid games from 2 generations ago that have aged better than a lot of shooters from the 7th generation (when nearly everyone was going COD crazy) or Ubisoft making the same open world game since Far Cry 3. I am not regretting the games I am playing.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
WWWOOOOOOOOOHHHHH! What a finale! That is how you end a trilogy! I find that this game has the best story on a personal level between characters. I honestly don't know what Whitelight was talking about when he said that Crysis 3 jumped the shark. I do "get it", but I am here having the time of my life. It's the finale, of course it's gonna be explosive in some type of way. For all I am concerned, the series went out with a bang.

I do like how during the last few missions, you get this cool mini boss you have to fight and constantly attack in armor and then get in to cloak to fool him on where your last position was. The final boss, the Alpha Ceph is fine, but nothing special. Shoot at it, until the alien bastard is weakened, then do it two more times while enemies are spawned in each phase. My game did crash once during the final phase, but luckily, I got the check point before it happened. Blasting the final boss with a freakin' orbital satelite laser cannon is one of the most epic moments in gaming and FPS history!

The 3rd and final entry still has the best game play in my opinion. Though the Predator Bow is game breaker. I heavily stealthed with it, and it was logged as my favorite weapon in the game.

Total play time is 7:17:44. Not bad. The game is an A for me.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
God of War (ps4)

I took down my 7th Valkryie in Alfheim. But I gotta go find the Niflheim ciphers. Ugh.

Edit- found the niflheim ciphers. Niflheim is mix of fun and a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Meg

Devil May Cry 5 on SOS. Trying to find more secret missions/blue orb fragments.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Alan Wake Remastered (PS4) - I beat the game and all of the dlc on X360 back in 2017. The game's shooting has aged fine and kept basic. It's one of the better shooters from Generation 7, because it acts more like a traditional old-school 3rd person shooter and not the cover shooter most games were doing around the time. AW does have over the shoulder elements, albeit the camera is further out and not zoomed in on Alan's shoulder. The game has passion, and Remedy are clearly big fans of Stephen King horror and the Twilight Zone. I know certain people and critics have made fun of them for this, but at least Remedy are honest about their influence, and where it proud. They have honest passion, and I will take that over something that is fake, shallow, or tries to be something that it is not.

The game does have a formula where mostly every episode you start happens during the day first for some down time, but night comes in and there is where the action-suspense-horror starts. Use flashlight to weaken enemies, shoot with gun, use flare for a get-the-****-off-me maneuver, some light "puzzle elements", and some creepy atmosphere.Alan Wake came out first, the light elements reminds me of Shadows of the Damned. Another 3rd person shooter where the it's light vs. darkness, and the light is your life line and best friend. Though Shadows has advantages of featuring more enemy variety, upgrade-able weapons, and actual bosses. Also, it's more of an action-horror game that is a grindhouse fest. Nothing against AW, but when you look up what they had to cut out, it's a bit sad they could not get all they wanted. Rough production cycle and all. Shadows had a rough production too, but got it way worse with EA's involvement, but Suda and Grasshopper were able turn out a decent and fun game. Wake's advantage over Shadows are skippable cut-scenes and better written characters. The characters in Shadows aren't bad, but other than some minor revelations with a certain love interest, no one really develops. Everything ends the same as it began.

The PS4 version is working fine, and I appreciate the frame rate boost, but I had a weird glitch where the V-Sync numbers show up at the bottom right screen for some reason during the middle of the first chapter. Quitting the application, and starting the game again got rid of it. So far it has not popped back up again, but I'll keep an eye out on it. The load times are still a bit too long for a remaster too.

Question: What was with some of the male protagonist fashion sense in 2009-2010? This seemed to be the trend of guy wears suit jacket over hoodie. First Alan Wake, then Makoto Naegi. Really weird; the first is in his 30s, and the latter is 16. I have a feeling it's not just coincidence.

b9df2fc99122de680f5b08c1ca8ca159bc977576.png

0c2259a0-09ae-11ec-8b5d-5399e9c0f85c.cf.webp

Reactions: Meg

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Doom 64 (PS4 Physical) - The game that was Doom 3 in 1997 before Doom 3. Then actually officially becoming "Doom 3", because it takes place after Doom I & II, and before Doom 4 & Doom Eternal. While Doom 3 (2004) lives off in its own pocket dimension. This game is already better than most shooters that come out today, and aged better than most early polygonal from the 90s and early 2000s. No annoying NPCs chatting with you, no regenerating health, sprawling maze levels, and plenty of atmosphere. The music fits perfectly with grimmer and darker setting. The lightning is on point matches the more horror adjacent aesthetic. All that, and it's just between you and muderville of all things demons!

Funny how Doom 64 has some ideas that were new for the franchise at the time that Doom 3 would take. Environments that changed after getting keys or pushing switches. Some scripted moments that happen within certain levels. It's minor, but much appreciated details. The slower pace (Doom 3 is still the slower of the two) and bigger emphasis on horror. Enemies spawn out of nowhere or behind you when you grab items. The color does have more of a muted color palette, but it's still more colorful than almost any shooter from the 7th generation. The redesigns for the enemies and weapons are still awesome and has the best chainsaw ever. Double bladed, baby!

I appreciate the life of quality improvements. The password system is kept, if you want to use it, but you can now save and load any time you want. You're gonna need it; levels will get long the further you go. I am not sure if I am going to get the Unmaker. I'll try, but I just wanna mainly play these levels. Worst to worst, I can use the password that gives you all weapons and/or takes you to the final level or secret levels. There is also an option to turn on auto-run so you can get through the "platforming" sections easier. Very useful.

I got my copy at a Best Buy last week. The game is on sale digitally for $2.49, and that is practically a steal. Grab this game, if you're love old-school shooters.

Top Bottom