• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil - Portrait of a Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Never said he wasn't a killer. Also technically Dante was getting up when he stabbed him, Beowulf started the fight, and he stabbed Arkham from the front

it doesn't matter if he was getting up or not, an "honorable" guy would've waited.

stabbing someone from any direction doesn't mean a thing especially when Arkham was defenseless.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
it doesn't matter if he was getting up or not, an "honorable" guy would've waited.

stabbing someone from any direction doesn't mean a thing especially when Arkham was defenseless.
"defenceless"? Yeah right :/ 27:14 represents how "defenceless" Arkham was

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter

I'm not saying he's Ned Stark or something, but still, he was halfway up. Also, yes the direction is relevant he could have countered. Arkham was able to throw around his demon hunting daughter easily with one arm (While she was armed to the teeth, with a heavy rocket launcher)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Of course it does. One thing is attacking from behind, another thing is attacking from the front. Actually it was Vergil who was giving the back to Arkham, not the other way around.

And Arkham was not "defenseless". He's pretty fast himself, look at the scene where he meets Lady for the first time. He was just incapable of dodge the attack. Not Vergil's fault if he's that damn fast.

Still on the edge about stabbing Dante while he was still standing.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
"defenceless"? Yeah right :/ 27:14 represents how "defenceless" Arkham was

Too bad that's the wrong cutscene. 44 mins says otherwise.

I'm not saying he's Ned Stark or something, but still, he was halfway up. Also, yes the direction is relevant he could have countered. Arkham was able to throw around his demon hunting daughter easily with one arm (While she was armed to the teeth, with a heavy rocket launcher)

How could he have possibly countered with a book? dodge yes, counter no.

Viper

Premium
Exactly. He was fast enough to disappear from Lady's sight as she was pointing him, and dodge all Dante's bullets and sword as Jester. It's just that Vergil was beyond his capabilities. He was in the condition to defend himself, but he only couldn't because of the massive difference in power and skill, and speed.
Or you know he might have realized "well ****, if I escape or fight back, it will keep golden boy away from the altar and not putting his blood and amulets where they belong... and those two dumbasses are not here yet either... what to do, what to do... ah, let him stab me, I'll survive and kick his ass later"

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Ah ha, see he could have dodged. Anyway Arkham clearly already had demonic powers at that point, he wasn't defenseless.

Exactly. He was fast enough to disappear from Lady's sight as she was pointing him, and dodge all Dante's bullets and sword as Jester. It's just that Vergil was beyond his capabilities. He was in the condition to defend himself, but he only couldn't because of the massive difference in power and skill, and speed.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Actually as far as Arkham goes it was obvious he knew Vergil will try and kill him, just like Vergil knew Arkham was using him. We saw that Arkham can dodge bullets, so it was all in his plan to lure Vergil and Dante where he needed and set his plan in motion than

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Soo he planned to be stabbed? What moron's plan involves physical harm to themselves?

The one that succedes (if that was his real plan). He obtained what he wanted and outsmarted everyone, in fact. Arkham was all but a moron in that game.

But we're falling into off topic now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gel

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Soo he planned to be stabbed? What moron's plan involves physical harm to themselves?
The one where he knows he won't get harmed. Do you think Vergil would be so careless to go all out with knowing he stood behind him? He played dead and waited till Vergil and Dante will be weak to slap them both around and get what he wanted.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Hmmm, let us see...
The first time Vergil is said to be honorable is in DMC1 by Dante, who likes V attitude without knowing who the guy is, but DMC1 novel shows V as being a total scum who is totally perverse, to the point of killing an defenseless old lady with a shotgun that belongs to her.
In DMC3 manga, Dante seems to think about V as having no honor saying " A man like you reduced to a demon's spawn! How sad!", so Dante does not hold V in high regard anymore.
The only thing people seem to associated with honor is the fact V doesn't like to use guns, but he used it anyway, even if it was once. A lot of thieves and murders do the same, they prefer physical confrontation over a cowardly approach...
Unless this character is badly written ( which he is), definitively he has no honor.He is prideful, but not honorable.Now, in the speculation field, if V will do what I think he will in DMC4 SE, any honor he could still have will go down the drain.
Am I wrong?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Unless this character is badly written ( which he is)

Which he's not. In DMC3 at least.

I've played a lot of videogames, and what you would properly call "badly written characters" are another kind altogether.
Dandelion from The Witcher 1/2 for example. I love CD Projekt RED, I really do and don't get me wrong they write amazing stories and cool characters, but Dandelion is one of the few that are not. Especially if you read the books and do the comparison books-games you know what I'm talking about.

Vergil's characterization and the layers of personality they gave him in DMC3 is leagues beyond that.
Don't get me wrong it's not that I think that DMC characters are Shakespeare worthy or something, but not as bad as most people tend to believe either.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Which he's not. In DMC3 at least.

I've played a lot of videogames, and what you would properly call "badly written characters" are another kind altogether.
Dandelion from The Witcher 1/2 for example. I love CD Projekt RED, I really do and don't get me wrong they write amazing stories and cool characters, but Dandelion is one of the few that are not. Especially if you read the books and do the comparison books-games you know what I'm talking about.

Vergil's characterization and the layers of personality they gave him in DMC3 is leagues beyond that.
Don't get me wrong it's not that I think that DMC characters are Shakespeare worthy or something, but not as bad as most people tend to believe either.
He is not exactly badly written, but he was and still is handled carelessly by the ones who write these stories.It doesn't help either that it's not one, but numerous teams who use this character without studying him or keeping him faithful to what he was in the beginning.It's possible to make a character extremely rich in terms of layers without compromising anything of his persona.
It's ironic, since me and my friend have been studying his behavior and appearance, searching for hidden meanings, since in Japanese culture everything has a hidden meaning, even the silliest things.
This guy was carefully designed to be a "Dragon", the noblest creature in Asia. He sets himself as a Emperor, even his coat is apparently made of silk, inspired in those Asian Emperor's coats.
This character was designed to be glorious, but what DMC delivers is too poor for who was designed to be a "Dragon" character.That's why I said the " I need power because bad demons killed momma" justification is too empty.It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom