• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil - Portrait of a Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well no one said it ain't true, just reminding people to take things from material that isn't main story with grain of salt.
I can see him blaming himself, from what I saw in manga he could have tried to take the role of the man of the house, but failed to protect in the end. However, it couldn't have been his only motivation later on, his mother is already dead, so for what does he really need power?
We once again coming to that quote about "without power you can't protect anything". I think it basically explains why he wanted power in the first place. It basically very close to Griffith in Berserk where he realised that without any power he wouldn't be able to change anything in the world.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
What I wanna mean is while his mother's death is definitively a reason behind his behavior, it's not a primary one.
Vergil seems more concerned with future than the past. That's why I'm waiting for DMC4 SE to give me, at least, explanation for this concern.

Viper

Premium
Huh? It's not a matter of quantity.

So no, he's not.
Hey, I like Vergil one way or another. But it would be nice that for those ten years he interacted with something more than just books. After all, we were told he looked at Nero with kindness, so he could love and probably did.

Gel

Premium
Now let me invite you for a friendly challenge: examine all of details of his clothes, boots and accessories.See what is his main theme and what that mean in Eastern tradition.
Believe in me, it is more than a sense of fashion in his case.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
>blames himself for not having been able to protect his mother as young boy. Welp. Guess it puts big fat dot into discussion about "he only wants power and doesn't have any background" No offence but no licensed material is put into game without license-holder approval. So sorry, but it doesn't make any sense to deny it farther.

Exactly. That bio is official Capcom's material.

@Gel wow ehm... I'm no good at that, so I'm out xD

Gel

Premium
Well, you should.Your portrait of warrior would be richer, since Vergil has a lot of secrets in his clothes and behavior.
Don't worry! Someone already did it in the background for you. @Viper , are you there? Do you still have our private conversations with you?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, you should.Your portrait of warrior would be richer, since Vergil has a lot of secrets in his clothes and behavior.
Don't worry! Someone already did it in the background for you. @Viper , are you there? Do you still have our private conversations with you?

Oh ok nice. If anyone can contribute, do it!

Viper

Premium
@Gel

Yeah, got them, and links to educate. XD

Vergil is covered in Chinese/Japanese dragons. There is dragon on Yamato. A dragon on each of his boot soles. Stylized dragon spreading over his coat. Twin dragons on each of his buttons. Even his hair can be described as those spikes dragons usually have.

wikipedia article on Chinese dragon

Following is a specially interesting part from the above article:
"The tiger is considered to be the eternal rival to the dragon, thus various artworks depict a dragon and tiger fighting an epic battle. A well used Chinese idiom to describe equal rivals (often in sports nowadays) is "Dragon versus Tiger". In Chinese martial arts, "Dragon style" is used to describe styles of fighting based more on understanding movement, while "Tiger style" is based on brute strength and memorization of techniques."

Unlike Western version, dragons in east are considered divine, they control water in rain, lakes, rivers, etc. First fight with Vergil - it's raining. Third fight with Vergil - river under them. Only the second fight doesn't have water, but it still has a liquid - blood.
Also, Beowulf. His attacks, with the light and white feathers can be described as divine. Dragon is the dweller of sky and represents divinity and spirituality, so no wonder Vergil got to defeat Beowulf completely. In addition to that, the weapon makes his feet and arms appear dragon-like.

Further (longish) reading on myth of dragons

Dragons are considered protectors, the belief spreading to those born under sign of dragon.

Edit: Ah, also forgot...

Vergil also chooses to stay in demon world, which is reached through the sky and what was home to Sparda, the dragon before him. Tiger, the representative of earth and matter, has no place there.

Gel

Premium
Let us adding too that Dragon personality are demanding , rigid and cold outside, while inside they can be the warmest and caring people in this world.So Capcom doesn't lack material for expanding his character.

Veloran

Where? I remember it has been more implicit than explicit, mainly in his exchanges with Dante.
The flashback to the night his mother died and his home was burned.

q7GVJ6J.jpg
XoesTEQ.jpg

It seems pretty direct to me.

Gel

Premium
Oh, that part!I remember his answer to Dante, when V says" It is the only way" why his face shows some kind of pain inside.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
But that scene doesn't imply that he uses guns. He was willing to do that just on that particular occasion. In fact he says "I'll try your way FOR ONCE."
Yeah I know, I just replied to AgentRedgrave ;) Actually scene reminded me of final stand in Cowboy Bebop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom