• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The difference between DMC's humans and DmC's humans

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Z218: Yeah, I'm aware of that. But I was getting at the fact that she considered him as her father. For some people stepfather/foster-father/whatever-else-father still means father to them, so in this relation we can still say that both of their fathers were evil. Hence why I said that for me DmC Kat = DMC's Lady (just minus all of the fancy asskicking). Both technically kill their fathers also (well in Lady's case that's debatable) but she does shoot him at the end of DMC 3 when he still appears to be alive. And if Kat's foster-father was an actual demon, how did Kat manage to kill him? Because as many have pointed out, she never shows any display of her physical power/capabilities. Yet apparently has had some training in fighting and was able to kill her father who was actually a demon.

Your thinking more in video game terms of the big glorious fight to death type scenario where I'm thinking, its more anti-climatic as in she got lucky one day and was able to kill him when he had his pants down (metaphorically/literally).

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The disembodied voice was such a cliché sounding dumb girl I'm surprised she managed to restrict herself from saying 'like' at the start or end of each sentence

I wanna say that random girl didn't actually exist, just a creation for Barbas' propaganda, considering none of what she or Barbas was reporting on actually happened :p

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I thought Arkham just married into the priestess bloodline, and he got his power by succumbing to a lot of very dark magic.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
DMC had alot of humans wanting to become demons. Because, y'know, power. I'm wondering if DmC (should it continue) will explore that aspect also, since demons now run amok upon civilization.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
As far the original DMC goes, there's very little examples of normal humans (if you consider only the games); the best examples are these random citizens of Fortuna, they seem pretty normal and seemed to be easy preys even for the lowest ranking demons.

In DmC it goes along the same way, humans seems pretty much what we are in real life.

I think that the fundamental difference in these two universes rules are the extent of abilities humans can attain through training. Lady probably had extensive and intensive training with her firearms and combat skills in general (the acrobatics she shows in the CGs), seeing that her mission in life was to slay all demons in the world and exact revenge on her father, she probably trained to reach this goal.

And yet on the Lady topic: her blood doesn't seem to give her any special skills or extended capabilities as a human being, in DMC3 Arkham tells them that the priestess blood (Lady's ancestor) was used because of its "purity", to restrain the tremendous demonic power of the Temen-Ni-Gru (the gigantic tower, one of the main Hell Gates), as an polar opposite of the demonic blood from Sparda required to do/undo the spell that sealed the Temen-Ni-Gru. Lady doesn't ever showed if she had any extended capabilities similar to Dante or Vergil, for example, suffering from a heavy injurie and being able to ignore/heal it quickly.

My best shot at this is:

Humans in the DMC universe can attain more combat skills through training, while humans in the DmC universe are much more like humans in the real world, they cant "stretch" too much the extent of their physical abilities.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
It is a shame we don't get to see more humans fight in both universes. Who else wanted to see Credo fight in his human form for a bit, even if it was during a cutscene like with Dante vs Nero at the beginning.

I agree that in DMC-verse humans can train to do extraordinary feats (like Lady), but for DmC, a human would probably rely more on tactics and technology to fight, sorta like Batman I suppose. Actually, I kinda wanna see that. :wink:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Lady doesn't ever showed if she had any extended capabilities similar to Dante or Vergil, for example, suffering from a heavy injurie and being able to ignore/heal it quickly.

Mah, I think ignoring a big ass wound in the thigh (a mortal spot, btw, she should have died from massive bleeding) and fight back is something along that line, you know.

Seriously, the only difference is the tone and setting. DmC is supposed to be more grounded and believable, therefore for the sake of that kind of approach humans can't pull off the stuff Lady does, for example.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
It is a shame we don't get to see more humans fight in both universes. Who else wanted to see Credo fight in his human form for a bit, even if it was during a cutscene like with Dante vs Nero at the beginning.

I agree that in DMC-verse humans can train to do extraordinary feats (like Lady), but for DmC, a human would probably rely more on tactics and technology to fight, sorta like Batman I suppose. Actually, I kinda wanna see that. :wink:

Agree, i would like to see how it would come out if Dante (or even Vergil) takes a human to be their apprentice in the demon slaying business; would be a cool take for a new character. Besides, something that seems pretty common in the DMC-verse is humans turning into demons via rituals too.

Mah, I think ignoring a big ass wound in the thigh (a mortal spot, btw, she should have died from massive bleeding) and fight back is something along that line, you know.

Seriously, the only difference is the tone and setting. DmC is supposed to be more grounded and believable, therefore for the sake of that kind of approach humans can't pull off the stuff Lady does, for example.

I tend to agree with you completely, Foxtrot, i think in the end it's just a difference about the general "tone" of each title. But for what i've seen in the topic, people were trying to search evidence in the lore to talk about things. But i also prefer this take that the DMC-verse just goes crazier with the characters for the sake of being cool.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@VineBigBoss: Well one of the points DMC made was about how sometimes humans can be just like demons themselves. Y'know, not necessarily the transformation part of it (Arkham, Arius, Sanctus) but the fact that before Arkham or any of them were altered demonically, they all had selfish and maniacal motives.

Credo is a perfect example of a human ascending to greater power without those evil traits that Sanctus had. So it goes to show that not everybody wants or uses power in the same way; not all humans will abuse the newfound strength, same as not all demons will conform to serving Mundus.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
@VineBigBoss: Well one of the points DMC made was about how sometimes humans can be just like demons themselves. Y'know, not necessarily the transformation part of it (Arkham, Arius, Sanctus) but the fact that before Arkham or any of them were altered demonically, they all had selfish and maniacal motives.

Credo is a perfect example of a human ascending to greater power without those evil traits that Sanctus had. So it goes to show that not everybody wants or uses power in the same way; not all humans will abuse the newfound strength, same as not all demons will conform to serving Mundus.

Yes, that's a point strongly reinforced through the series; i think one moment we can remember (aside from Lady's narrative in DMC3 ending) is Dante's dialogue with Agnus after he beats him. The dialogue about: " 'Humans' possess something that 'demons' don't". He uses this in kinda of a metaphorical way, not as 'humans' and 'demons' as a race.

EDIT:

Cool you mentioning Credo here, because he's one demon that differs from other demons even in appearence, he has the appearence that mosts resembles an angel instead of a demon, even his powers (mainly he's summoned spears) looks somewhat "holy" compared to the demonic powers of Sanctus and Agnus.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
" 'Humans' possess something that 'demons' don't". He uses this in kinda of a metaphorical way, not as 'humans' and 'demons' as a race.

Hmmm no, I think it's pretty obvious he means them as a race, not a metaphor. Which doesn't disprove LOD's point anyway.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Hmmm no, I think it's pretty obvious he means them as a race, not a metaphor. Which doesn't disprove LOD's point anyway.

Well, Dante himself, theoritecally, is more akin to a demon than to a human (in terms of physical and magical abilities). Nero reinforces this speech Dante made to Agnus when Sanctus asks himself if he's not worthy of Sparda's power, and Nero says: "Cannot take this legends too literaly. And i know that Sparda had a heart, a heart that can love another person, a human being, and this is what you lack!".

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, Dante himself, theoritecally, is more akin to a demon than to a human (in terms of physical and magical abilities).

He's half and half. One aspect is countered by the other. He's a superpowered being and he's strong and powerful, yet still ages like a normal human and will die eventually, unlike high ranked pure demon that can live for millennia.

When he made that speech to Agnus, he meant that humans have heart, a quality that allows even a demon who embraces it to surpass his limits, as opposed to a demon who doesn't, that will always fall short of its true potential. It's what allowed Sparda to take on the entire army of Mundus and the Demon King himself on his own, and what prevented Sanctus and Arkham from gaining the full extent of Sparda's power.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
He's half and half. One aspect is countered by the other. He's a superpowered being and he's strong and powerful, yet still ages like a normal human and will die eventually, unlike high ranked pure demon that can live for millennia.

When he made that speech to Agnus, he meant that humans have heart, a quality that allows even a demon who embraces it to surpass his limits, as opposed to a demon who doesn't, that will always fall short of its true potential. It's what allowed Sparda to take on the entire army of Mundus and the Demon King himself on his own, and what prevented Sanctus and Arkham from gaining the full extent of Sparda's power.

Exactly, and Sparda was a full demon, that's what i meant when i said he mentioned this in a metaphorical way. Even a demon can have a heart, and even a human can "be a demon" - someone who doesn't care about others.

About this:

"He's half and half. One aspect is countered by the other. He's a superpowered being and he's strong and powerful, yet still ages like a normal human and will die eventually, unlike high ranked pure demon that can live for millennia."

There's nothing in the game that states how Dante or Vergil, or even half-demons in general aging proccess goes on.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
There's nothing in the game that states how Dante or Vergil, or even half-demons in general aging proccess goes on.

You mean except his appearance. First off, he surely wasn't born fully formed, so he was a child. Then he was a boy (DMC3), then a young adult (DMC1), then an adult (DMC4).

To the topic, I don't think at all he was talking metaphorically there. It's pretty obvious to me. Agnus was moaning about not being able to beat Dante despite having become a demon, putting the matter on the race level. So Dante played on his own field by stating that humans as a race (as in, mankind) possess qualities demons by their own nature don't... unless they are willing to go against their nature and embrace those human qualities, which Sparda did, and the Ascended knights didn't.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
you are right there is nothing in the Games themselves
but a little while ago i tweeted Kamiya about how Dante ages and got this response
2L8f.png

J9Ppd.png
so what i get from this is if Dante were to stay in devil trigger he would be "almost unaging"
but if he remains in his human form he will age normally

now i get this is from someone who will most likely never work on DMC again
and Capcom can easily change the story since as you said "it's not in the games"

but i think this is the closest thing to a definitive answer that we have
so take this info with as much salt as you like

i also think its really cool that kamiya didn't bock me

Top Bottom