• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Relatively unpopular opinions about any and everything

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
my beef with Lion King that it factually ripped off another cartoon, or rather anime, and got away with it, because fat cash disney has.
The rumours of Scar being changed to a white lion in the 2019 remake bemuse me to no end as that really would be a slap in the face to Kimba. :woot:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I like Digimon more then Pokemon

Shin Godzilla, though still a good Godzilla movie, is overrated, people say it's better then Legendary's reboot for example. Yeah no, least the 2014 reboot had a monster fight in the end, and most importantly, the main human characters were face first in the action, not sitting around an office and talking.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I like Digimon more then Pokemon

Shin Godzilla, though still a good Godzilla movie, is overrated, people say it's better then Legendary's reboot for example. Yeah no, least the 2014 reboot had a monster fight in the end, and most importantly, the main human characters were face first in the action, not sitting around an office and talking.

The Digimon part is not that unpopular. I've always seen it like this: Digimon has better tv shows (02 being the exception, and I hated the direction Tri went in to), but Pokemon has better games. This was more so the case back then. Nowadays it's down to personal preference in terms of the games. Digimon is still more niche, so while still makes money, it nowhere near the same amount as Pokemon.

Shin Godzilla sucked for me. G2014 had its problems, but like you said, monster fights at least happened, and there was definite suspense. Why would I want to be stuck boring humans in a boring office talking their asses off about pretentious politics.

Streets of Rage is better than Final Fight. Especially when comparing the sequels.

Metal Slug should have ended at 3. Every other game afterward is either rushed, or decent fun, but is not as exciting.

The two newer live-action TMNT movies are good. They have problems, but I found them better than Secret of the Ooze, III, and TMNT (2007).

Max Payne 3 was a great way to end the series, and there should never be another sequel. Max has suffered enough; let the man rest.

I am not looking forward to the new No More Heroes game.

Kill La Kill is better than Gurren Laggan.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I like Digimon more then Pokemon.
I think everyone(even diehard pokemon fans) agree that the Pokemon anime just sucks in general. In terms of games Pokemon has the edge but Digimon has also been making a comeback with titles like Cyber Sleuth. If this was 2012, i would've said that all digimon suck but now they're actually pretty good.

I still absolutely loathe Digimon World 4 though, that game will always have a special place in my heart.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
The Digimon part is not that unpopular. I've always seen it like this: Digimon has better tv shows (02 being the exception, and I hated the direction Tri went in to), but Pokemon has better games. This was more so the case back then. Nowadays it's down to personal preference in terms of the games. Digimon is still more niche, so while still makes money, it nowhere near the same amount as Pokemon.
I agree here. I watched both. I loved both. But I'd have to give Digimon the point here.
Streets of Rage is better than Final Fight. Especially when comparing the sequels.
Final Fight looks better than Street of Rage, that's probably because it originally was an arcade title. Streets of Rage is more console than arcade.

I don't understand why Sega never released an arcade version.
Metal Slug should have ended at 3. Every other game afterward is either rushed, or decent fun, but is not as exciting.
Sequels are fine. The game was never known for story. Metal Slug, Samurai Showdown's strengths were being graphic materpieces. Later games bar King of the Monsters, were all really low quality games. I love King of the Monsters not just for the gameplay, but the graphics - it makes you think they really want to recreate that Godzilla feel.
The two newer live-action TMNT movies are good. They have problems, but I found them better than Secret of the Ooze, III, and TMNT (2007).
This is where I say blasphemy. I have not seen the new live-action movies, but TMNT, Secret of the Ooze, III, the TMNT reboot with 3D graphics were all good. Better than the crap we get today. Nickelodeon needs to stop with the cartoony adaptations, and focus on the real source material.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Sequels are fine. The game was never known for story. Metal Slug
I think he's saying that because Metal Slug's original Nazca staff disbanded after SNK filed for bankruptcy. The later games are a mixed bag due to the fact that they weren't made by the same people anymore and so MS3 stands as the peak of the series with the most exhaustive levels and concepts.

MS series is like the MegaManX&Zero series, they kept making the same game over&over with diminishing quality and no innovations. I would still LOVE to see a new MS game but i don't think its going to have pixel art and Metal Slug without pixel art is heresy to me. Speaking of Pixel art, i dislike the SoR4's new vector graphic art. It looks like a cartoony flash game, unlike the original gritty ones. I realize that pixel art is pretty hard to pull off but it seems like making an intricately detailed Vector Art is just as a hard to pull off.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I should clear something up. When I say I like Digimon better than Pokemon. I don't just mean in anime. I like the creatures better, as a kid I liked the toys better, I don't like any of the Pokemon games, but Digimon I can at least say I enjoy the Cyber Sleuth games. I just straight up like Digimon better then Pokémon

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Final Fight looks better than Street of Rage, that's probably because it originally was an arcade title. Streets of Rage is more console than arcade.

I don't understand why Sega never released an arcade version.

That's a given, when comparing the first games, but the sequels play better gameplay wise. Final Fight was a mission pack sequel, and Final Fight 3 while fun, they're brawlers in consoles or arcades that already done more or better. I say this as a huge fan of Final Fight.

Funny enough, there was a SOR1 arcade machine, but it was rare and it had some timer on it way you cold only play for certain amount unless you insert more quarters. The reason why you never saw a new Streets of Rage in the arcades, because consoles were cheaper and could sell more. Also, if rumor is true, Sega of Japan (not America or EU/UK) actually dislikes the SOR franchise. Which does not make any sense, because it was one of their flagship titles that sold the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Sequels are fine. The game was never known for story. Metal Slug, Samurai Showdown's strengths were being graphic materpieces. Later games bar King of the Monsters, were all really low quality games. I love King of the Monsters not just for the gameplay, but the graphics - it makes you think they really want to recreate that Godzilla feel.

I mean in terms of gameplay.

I think he's saying that because Metal Slug's original Nazca staff disbanded after SNK filed for bankruptcy. The later games are a mixed bag due to the fact that they weren't made by the same people anymore and so MS3 stands as the peak of the series with the most exhaustive levels and concepts.

MS series is like the MegaManX&Zero series, they kept making the same game over&over with diminishing quality and no innovations. I would still LOVE to see a new MS game but i don't think its going to have pixel art and Metal Slug without pixel art is heresy to me. Speaking of Pixel art, i dislike the SoR4's new vector graphic art. It looks like a cartoony flash game, unlike the original gritty ones. I realize that pixel art is pretty hard to pull off but it seems like making an intricately detailed Vector Art is just as a hard to pull off.

What he said.

I think the reason why 4 is ditching the pixel art is because of remake, and to look different. I'm gonna give it chance, because the game still looks like it's in early development.

This is where I say blasphemy. I have not seen the new live-action movies, but TMNT, Secret of the Ooze, III, the TMNT reboot with 3D graphics were all good. Better than the crap we get today. Nickelodeon needs to stop with the cartoony adaptations, and focus on the real source material.

I enjoyed Ooze, but it definitely could have been better had they followed the original script (the professor was going to be an Utrom) and not toned down the violence too much. All because some parents complained about the violence, even though Disney had more violence in their animated films, before and after the first turtles movie came out. Super Shredder was a waste and only ended up worthy if you played Turtles III (NES), Turtles in Time (SNES), or Hyper Stone Heist (Genesis). Not to mention the whole Vanilla Ice thing. I consider Ninja Rap so bad, it's good, but it wasn't necessary.

And as much as I love the original movie (still the best live-action), the ending fight with Shredder is anti-climatic and Splinter just tosses him off like a Looney Tune character.

III was abysmal with worse special effects and animatronics/rubber suits, a waste of a good idea, no villains from the comics or cartoon, and was rushed out for a quick buck. TMNT (2007) while fun, is forgettable, and feels like a straight-to-DVD movie made for theaters.

Turtles2014 is a good movie, but does has its flaws. Megan Fox having the role of April, her being the focus for the first 20 minutes, but once it gets to the turtles it's both their movie. Plus, the final fight with Shredder is freaking bad-ass, and has better conclusion.

Out of the Shadows is a big imporvement. The Turtles are the main focus, Bebop and Rocksteady are hilarious, Krang is great, and the action is well done. The only things wrong are messing up Casey Jones (for some reason he is now a cop), and
the turtles don't get to fight Shredder.
Where have I seen that before? It sucks that Out of the Shadows is not getting a sequel, because the third film would have ironed out all of the issues I had. Well, looks like we're going to have to wait for another reboot again.

There is also a deleted scene on the Blu-Ray where
where Megan Fox meets the original live-action April O Neil
. I squealed with joy wondering why this was not in the theatrical cut of the film.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I rather V takes over DMC instead of Nero.

Orihime might have been better off being paired with Ishida instead of Ichigo.

I don't mind Fantastic beasts and where to find them. I just don't think tying in Grindelwald was a good idea.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'd prefer both of them taking over tbh.

This I can agree to as Ichihime feels totally hollow while Ishihime feels more natural imho.
I'm meant the series not the store but those two working together could be fun.

It might have been a better way to do the Hueco mundo arc. It would be a flip on their usual dynamic because Ichigo has the collected one while Uryu is emotionally compromised.

It would have been cool if Uryu tried to teach her about quincies. Or rather Yoruichi tried to her Hakuda the shinigami hand to hand style.

Orihime has a yellow belt ya know.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
That's a given, when comparing the first games, but the sequels play better gameplay wise. Final Fight was a mission pack sequel, and Final Fight 3 while fun, they're brawlers in consoles or arcades that already done more or better. I say this as a huge fan of Final Fight.
I loved Final Fight, but I can agree that the sequels, which arrived only to consoles, were sub-par. I say the same for Streets of Rage, too. Like, they didn't even try. Just slap the old engine, slap new characters, new enemies, new bosses, and new stages. Nothing more, besides some new moves. At least Capcom tried with spin-offs (Mighty Final Fight to Final Fight Guy to Final Fight One, etc.)
Funny enough, there was a SOR1 arcade machine, but it was rare and it had some timer on it way you cold only play for certain amount unless you insert more quarters. The reason why you never saw a new Streets of Rage in the arcades, because consoles were cheaper and could sell more. Also, if rumor is true, Sega of Japan (not America or EU/UK) actually dislikes the SOR franchise. Which does not make any sense, because it was one of their flagship titles that sold the Genesis/Mega Drive.
I vaguely remember a SOR1 arcade machine, but I thought that was just me. I tried searching on google to see if there's any information on it, but it returned nothing. However, when you put in "Streets of Rage Arcade," it gives videos, and nothing more. It highlights XBLA.
I enjoyed Ooze, but it definitely could have been better had they followed the original script (the professor was going to be an Utrom) and not toned down the violence too much. All because some parents complained about the violence, even though Disney had more violence in their animated films, before and after the first turtles movie came out. Super Shredder was a waste and only ended up worthy if you played Turtles III (NES), Turtles in Time (SNES), or Hyper Stone Heist (Genesis). Not to mention the whole Vanilla Ice thing. I consider Ninja Rap so bad, it's good, but it wasn't necessary.
I am all for the source material to remain untouched, but I can understand why TMNT/Ooze were toned down because crybaby parents. (Wah. Wah. **** you parents!) The Disney films' violence are very subtle, very much timid. Like Lion King, as a kid you wouldn't even know that what happened in the hyenas area was violent. In fact, Naruto is violent, but kids don't realize that it is violent. This is despite that the blood is visible 90% of the time, but you don't realize its violent until you get older. The stupid parents didn't give Lion King the backlash as you'd expect today in the world of Twitter. Disney got away with a lot, but most of the violence was very subtle. TMNT could've done that, but they just chose to censor most of the content. I love the NES TMNT games.
And as much as I love the original movie (still the best live-action), the ending fight with Shredder is anti-climatic and Splinter just tosses him off like a Looney Tune character.
That is the fault of the censorship, I imagine they had a different way of killing Shredder, but the sequel kinda rectified that.
III was abysmal with worse special effects and animatronics/rubber suits, a waste of a good idea, no villains from the comics or cartoon, and was rushed out for a quick buck. TMNT (2007) while fun, is forgettable, and feels like a straight-to-DVD movie made for theaters.
I think this is the fault of planning beforehand with Ooze. They could have done a different character or characters for 3, but they needed a Shredder-level character. The best way to do this is by time travel, and a new setting. I forgive the graphics, special effects, because by this time, we didn't have the technology for graphics. It just wasn't there. Terminator 2 only had money, a lot of money available - the "**** you" money (Venture Capital). Nobody at the time had the prowess to pull off those special effects in Terminator 2. I'm sorry, nobody. Otherwise, we'd already have Jurassic Park sooner. You might think that it's easy today to do that kind of thing, but back then, we just didn't have that kind of tech readily available in the market. Just remember, this period is when technology was just getting started.
Out of the Shadows is a big imporvement. The Turtles are the main focus, Bebop and Rocksteady are hilarious, Krang is great, and the action is well done. The only things wrong are messing up Casey Jones (for some reason he is now a cop), and
the turtles don't get to fight Shredder.
Where have I seen that before? It sucks that Out of the Shadows is not getting a sequel, because the third film would have ironed out all of the issues I had. Well, looks like we're going to have to wait for another reboot again.
The problem isn't the film franchise. It made a lot of money. The problem is the franchise itself "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" was sold to Nickelodeon. This means PG shows, PG films, PG video games. So we're going to be waiting a long time for anything similar to TMNT film franchise reboot (Michael Bay version).
There is also a deleted scene on the Blu-Ray where
where Megan Fox meets the original live-action April O Neil
. I squealed with joy wondering why this was not in the theatrical cut of the film.
Because it wouldn't make sense for the theatercal release. Two Aprils in the same timeline?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Because it wouldn't make sense for the theatercal release. Two Aprils in the same timeline?

To clear the confusion, Judith Hoag (who played April in the 1990 film) was playing a different character. Though there is a clear passing of the torch going on.

I loved Final Fight, but I can agree that the sequels, which arrived only to consoles, were sub-par. I say the same for Streets of Rage, too. Like, they didn't even try. Just slap the old engine, slap new characters, new enemies, new bosses, and new stages. Nothing more, besides some new moves. At least Capcom tried with spin-offs (Mighty Final Fight to Final Fight Guy to Final Fight One, etc.)

Final Fight Guy was literally the first game taking Cody out. No multiplayer and still all of the same problems. Final Fight One was a true proper fix of the SNES game.

I think this is the fault of planning beforehand with Ooze. They could have done a different character or characters for 3, but they needed a Shredder-level character. The best way to do this is by time travel, and a new setting. I forgive the graphics, special effects, because by this time, we didn't have the technology for graphics. It just wasn't there. Terminator 2 only had money, a lot of money available - the "**** you" money (Venture Capital). Nobody at the time had the prowess to pull off those special effects in Terminator 2. I'm sorry, nobody. Otherwise, we'd already have Jurassic Park sooner. You might think that it's easy today to do that kind of thing, but back then, we just didn't have that kind of tech readily available in the market. Just remember, this period is when technology was just getting started.

The problem isn't the film franchise. It made a lot of money. The problem is the franchise itself "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" was sold to Nickelodeon. This means PG shows, PG films, PG video games. So we're going to be waiting a long time for anything similar to TMNT film franchise reboot (Michael Bay version).

The third film's special effects did not have to be anything like Terminator 2's. All the third film had to do was have a budget similar to 1 or 2, and things would be fine. If they were that worried about budget and costumes, the studio easily could have used a villain such as Baxter Stockman or Rat King. Any of those would've been worthwhile and better than what we got in the third movie. Krang would be difficult, but not impossible. Bebop and Rocksteady could clearly be done right, but Eastmen and Laird both did not want them (Krang included, because they were too goofy) in the second movie. Hence, Tokka and Rahzar .

Out of the Shadows under performed, but did better on DVD. Apparently, Nick was so disappointed about the box office sales, that they scrapped everything and tossed out the bathwater with the baby. They set their expectations were way too high, and I believe there was still some backlash from TMNT2014. Some fans and audiences were expecting a worse movie without giving Shadows a chance.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
To clear the confusion, Judith Hoag (who played April in the 1990 film) was playing different character. Though there is a clear passing of the torch going on.
Yes, the issue is that most Turtle fans know Judith Hoag as April from the 1990 film. People would ask: "What is this? Two Aprils in the same screen at the same time...?" There's a reason why film directors don't replace the old character with a new actor, and then reprise the same actor or actress after they've replaced him/her with someone else.

So, if the reboot happens again, don't expect the same easter egg again. Yes, what you're referring to is an easter egg, not necessarily one you find on your own like you do in video games.
The third film's special effects did not have to be anything like Terminator 2's. All the third film had to do was have a budget similar to 1 or 2, and things would be fine. If they were that worried about budget and costumes, the studio easily could have used a villain such as Baxter Stockman or Rat King. Any of those would've been worthwhile and better than what we got in the third movie. Krang would be difficult, but not impossible. Bebop and Rocksteady could clearly be done right, but Eastmen and Laird both did not want them (Krang included, because they were too goofy) in the second movie. Hence, Tokka and Rahzar .
The problem is that at the time, there was one strong trend in hollywood - Graphics upgrades everywhere. Even Mortal Kombat Annihilation got the same treatment, but miserably failed because again; we just didn't have the technology available. On top of this, there wasn't too many good examples of Bebop and Rocksteady. Sheamus's appearance was purely not an accident. His gimmick is the punk rock, gothic character, but the film directors liked how Sheamus actually looks despite the gimmick. Back in the 90's, we had some punk rock tommohawk actors, but none of them had the physique that Sheamus had. Out of Shadows only had the best timing to bring Rocksteady/Bebop. T'was my point.
Out of the Shadows underperformed, but did better on DVD. Apparantely, Nick was so dissapointed about the box office sales, that they scrapped everything and tossed out the bathwater with the baby. They set their expectations way too high, and I believe there was still some backlasj from TMNT2014. Some fans and audiences were expecting a worse movie without giving Shadows a chance.
Nickelodeon is stupid. Always has been a stupid company to begin with. It's actually a stupider version of Disney.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Nickelodeon is stupid. Always has been a stupid company to begin with. It's actually a stupider version of Disney.

Stupid indeed, but I feel Cartoon Network is taking their place. At least Nick is trying to put out quality content on their network. CN is doing the same thing Nick did in the mid-late 2000s by marathoning their most popular show, over and over, at the expense of more original content. Then there was a time CN (even changed to CN Real), tried to have more live-action shows and copy reality TV for Christ sake! That was a dork age that lasted way too long, only for them to get in to another 3-4 years later.

Not to forget, but Disney plenty of dumb moments too, TV wise. I still haven't forgiven them for cancelling Wonder Over Yonder.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Stupid indeed, but I feel Cartoon Network is taking their place. At least Nick is trying to put out quality content on their network. CN is doing the same thing Nick did in the mid-late 2000s by marathoning their most popular show, over and over, at the expense of more original content. Then there was a time CN (even changed to CN Real), tried to have more live-action shows and copy reality TV for Christ sake! That was a dork age that lasted way too long, only for them to get in to another 3-4 years later.

Not to forget, but Disney plenty of dumb moments too, TV wise. I still haven't forgiven them for cancelling Wonder Over Yonder.
I barely remember any of Nickelodeon's works. Films/TV/Shows, I'm sorry, what is it that they do again...? *snorts and laughs*

TMNT is being underused right now. Why stop at TV shows? *shrugs* I dunno, maybe because Nickelodeon is a retarded ****ing company! *walks into door and hits self*

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I barely remember any of Nickelodeon's works. Films/TV/Shows, I'm sorry, what is it that they do again...? *snorts and laughs*

TMNT is being underused right now. Why stop at TV shows? *shrugs* I dunno, maybe because Nickelodeon is a retarded ****ing company! *walks into door and hits self*

As for their animated roster right now: it's Spongebob, Paw Patrol, Loud House. The new season to Invader Zim and Rocko are supposed to be out next year. Then, there is the Hey Arnold Jungle movie that came out earlier this year. I don't know about the live-action shows, because I stopped caring when Keanen and Kel & All That ended.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I like the new Hellboy trailer.

I'm ok with Marvel taking over the X-men movies but it's gonna be a Gordian knot to untangle.

I liked the first Fantastic Four film and thought it did a good job with the core 4. Doom was alright.

I prefer Connor to Ezio.

Edward Kenway is a better version of Nathan Drake.

Last edited:

DarkSlayerVergil

I like the new Hellboy trailer.
Hmmmmmm I heard that it had a more horror feel to it.

I'm ok with Marvel taking over the X-men movies but it's gonna be a Gordian knot to untangle.
Same as I'd love to see Wolverine with Captain American fighting together or against each other (X-men V Avengers). Agree that trying to incorporate the X-men will be difficult, I have my fingers crossed that they'll reveal them after end-game.

Top Bottom