• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Rank The Various Dantes.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
DMC1 - 8/10. The O.G. An understated badass.
DMC2 - 6/10. Really needed more screen time and more lines to develop his personality.
DMC3 - 5/10. Far too annoying at the beginning, but became okay by the last act.
DMC4 - 6/10. The dynamic with Nero really should have been expanded on. Side note, has the worst costume of them all.
DmC - 7/10. Didn't quite live up to his full potential but hopefully a sequel could rectify that.
Anime - 6/10. A little on the bland side, though I'd blame the script writer for not giving him interesting situations more than the character himself.
First Novel - 9/10. My favourite of the bunch. It's a shame he didn't get into the games in any way.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
DMC1 Dante - 9/10 The closest the original has ever come to being a character in any game. Professional, world-weary, cautious, witty, but honorable...everything Dante should be, and everything Kamiya intended.
DMC2 Dante - No Rating since he barely talks, shows no emotion, can barely be classified as the same character.
DMC1 Novel Dante - 10/10 LITERALLY who Dante would and should act. Everything he was in the first game is represented here, and the only reason he ranks higher is because he has more opportunities to show character-defining moments than the 20 minutes worth of cutscenes in the original game.
DMC3 Dante - 1/10 Poorly-written, aggressively-unfunny. undeveloped beyond human comprehension,
Easily the worst Dante of the entire series because of how rancid and festering an insult he is to everything the original Dante was in a ham-fisted and transparent attempt to compensate for his previous depiction.
DMC4 Dante - 7/10 Older, more rugged and less obnoxious than his 19-year-old self, and far from his original self...but considering mentor role he plays as the secondary protagonist, he actually comes off as quite likable. He's still watered down to a stereotype than a character, but since he doesn't have a central role as the protagonist, he doesn't really need to be anything more.
DmC Dante - 8/10 Undergoes more development in this one game than the writers took the time to bestow him in any prior game in the series. He shows plenty of blatant flaws and coarse traits in the beginning, but in a stroke of brilliance, actually realizes it for himself. By the end of the game, he treads almost the exact same path of his DMC1 counterpart, while simultaneously coming off as more natural and human in portrayal. The only reason he ranks slightly lower is because a lot of his moodier, grittier character traits were axed from the game to appease whining fanboys who were never interested in playing the game.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
God only knows my despise towards this modern trend of ranking everything, from the food we eat to the quality of the dump we take in the morning when we expel it, so I'm not gonna "rank" the Dante's (I don't know how it makes any sense, really, "ranking" a character, like, wut). Rather, I'ma just list them from fav to least fav, explaining why. So for those who like scores, you can still have an idea of how my scores would be.

Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

portrait_dante_dmc3_by_kuschel_drow.jpg

As berto said in an older thread very similar to this one, here is when the character's at his most complex. Has got some development (which the other games in the original series don't really provide for him), as we see him gradually change throughout the game and become more similar to how he is in the first game - still fun loving, yet more aware of himself. Plus, the way he interacts with the bosses here and screws around with them, Vergil included, is the best. Easily among the most memorable things in the series, the boss encounters.

Devil May Cry

latest

The original one, despite not having much going on for him in terms of development (he's pretty much the same guy by the end of the game), throughout the game we get to see what the aspects of his personality are, and overall he's the most likeable. However his lines lack impact in most cases and the quality of the voice acting (a problem of the whole game, to be fair), notoriously bad, doesn't help.

Devil May Cry 4

389548-dmc4_dante.png

This guy has very little going on for his character, unlike the cases above, but as I see it, it's something it can be overlooked because he's no more than a side character in this game, in a story that is not his. The redeeming qualities are that he's hella entertaining and he's got some major badass moments going throughout the game. Also, he probably looks more intimidating here, despite his attitude, than he ever has in any game of the series.

DmC: Devil May Cry

Yeah I chose a pic with the Neo costume cause it's my favorite, get over it.
Now, I'm not a huge fan of this iteration, despite undeniably having development as a character (and that's really his redeeming quality here), for two reasons, mainly. One, I find his personality pretty obnoxious, a sentiment exacerbated by the fact that the setting he's in is a little more grounded, and grittier, and he seems to clash with it on the whole. Which brings me to reason number two, I'm pretty sure that Ninja Theory had something very different in mind for this guy. As the 2010 trailer for DmC heavily seems to suggest, this Dante should have been a way broodier, edgier version of what we got, which would have made a lot more sense given his background story. But we all know the drill, fans backlashed worse than a Xenomorph who's got its tail stomped on, and the team ended up going out of their way to give him some traits of the older Dante's personalities, and the often cheap "sex, alcohol and thug life" gimmick to try and make it look cool to the eyes of the players.

Devil May Cry: The Animated Series

latest

Dull, bored and boring, easily the biggest shift from anything he's supposed to be (if not for the obvious - at this point - last place), very little going on for his character, and he doesn't even "get a pass" like DMC4 Dante, cause here, he IS the main guy and he's not even all that entertaining. The only thing that keeps him from being the last on my list is that sometimes here and there, there is something that has to deals with his character in the series, and a couple of action scenes are badass. There, not much else to say.

Devil May Cry 2

Dante-dmc2pose.jpg

Yes he looks ****ing badass. But holy God does he come across as even more boring than his anime counterpart. He barely even talks. Dante, the demon hunter who likes to taunt and talk **** about demonkind, here barely talks. A couple of cool shots and one memorable line is all I could get from this guy, really. He felt just there. Like, whatever. And such a sentiment, as I see it, is even worse than the most passionate of hate, cause at the very least, if you hate a character, it means it does have something that makes you hate it. This guy just spawned indifference in me. I can barely talk about him, he's so shallow. In fact I feel like I'm going in circles repeating pretty much the same thing, that he's boring, so there, I'll just stop.

Veloran

DMC3 - 10/10. Probably the best portrayal of all. Everything clicks here, and there are just too many character moments to properly elaborate on in a short post.
Book - 8/10. Great guy, lot of character scenes, great interactions with all the supporting cast, I really like what they did with him here.
DMC4 - 7-8/10. Stuck between the two on this. He doesn't go through any singular major character moments, but absolutely any time he's on the screen it's impossible to want to see him go. I just wish he'd had more one-on-one time with Nero, it seemed like they barely scratched the surface of that relationship.
Anime - 5/10. Overall he really is middling, I feel like if they hadn't downplayed him as much it'd have been a knockout.
DMC1 - 3/10. He has a few good moments and overall a nice persona, but his character is practically incoherent to a degree that he's dragged down hard. I'd rate him much higher if they didn't completely drop the ball on both his relationship to Trish and his (Complete lack of a) reaction to Vergil.
DMC2 - 1/10. He gets a half-point for at least being consistent for what's there, and another for not applying a spray-on tan.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
DMC1 Dante - 8/10 Always cool, slightly overdoing pathos lines, but thats where we started and I love it.
DMC2 - 3/10 "Here''s your crown is prob one of my fav one-liners so he gets few points on it
DMC3 - 9/10 I think he's hilarious and prob one of the most memorable Dante's appearances in my opinion. He has quite a few memorable moments and also not as unbeatable as his DMC1 or 4 counterpart, which makes him even more entertaining than he is. Generally probably most iconic versiou up to date. Hopefully DMC5 delivers something close to him.
DMC4 - 7/10 pretty cool, but sadly being not main character he is under-utilised. He still keeps his hilarious side and his way of dissing Nero makes him even more funnier.
DmC - 0/10…there are some things in this world, that shouldnt exist :/ Most likely was designed with being most obnoxious and edgy MC ever. His lack of personality and unexplained switching in attitude makes it only worse.

Frazz

General gamer
DMC1: 9/10 - Asides from some dodgy voice acting this Dante is awesome and very likeable.

DMC2: 2/10 - Annoyingly quiet but at least he looks kinda cool... Also the 'here's your crown' moment is great as is the killing of The Despair Embodied.

DMC3: 9/10 - Got a character arc and Reuben Langdon which makes him phenomenal. I know he's only starting out but I'd have liked to see a little of DMC1 Dante's professionalism from the beginning.

DMC4: 8/10 - Goofy but lovable. Yeah he's practically invincible but at least they didn't try to show him struggling as that would have felt false as why would a guy that took down Mundus have difficulty with anything anymore? He has already pretty much beat the DMC universe's Satan!

DmC: 2/10 - The fact that this Dante's introduced with him bedding strippers and drinking booze makes him entirely unappealing to me. His sudden adoration of Kat isn't set up very well and I always think of classic Dante as like a good role model as he is mostly calm and cool but this Dante is a terrible role model for people as he's hedonistic even at the end (ass grab) and he only seems to want to help The Order because he likes Kat and Vergil and not because he believes in humans like classic Dante. He isn't a zero simply because he does have some personality and an arc.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
(I won't count the novel versions since I haven't read those yet, nor will I count the DMC3 manga since he's completely the same)

DMC1 Dante: 9/10 - In all honesty this was the only best Dante of the original series. Everyone else honestly will never be as good as DMC1 Dante so there's really no point in expecting this version of him to return. But you gotta look to the future. Either way, he was a good Dante and would have gotten a 10/10 if not for the corny one-liners, but that's more the fault of the times.

DMC2 Dante: 3/10 - The only reason he's not lower is because of his design with the clothes and the sword. Other then that, DMC2 Dante was a real fall of a great hero. If they ever decide to continue where DMC2 left off for DMC5, I hope they touch up on his personality a little bit more.

Shin Megami Tensei Dante: 7/10 - The redeeming version of DMC2 Dante that didn't fail and was closest to the proper evolution of DMC1 Dante. He was serious but was still cool with the one-liners. He was honestly the only reason I had an interest in Devil Summoner.

DMC3 Dante: 7/10 - I like this Dante as much as the next guy, but I gotta be real, he was annoying. Every word from him was one party after another, and him barely caring about humanity's safety. It didn't even feel like he really cared a lot for humans and only cared about stopping Vergil. He seemed to have had a small hint of actual growth after talking with Lady before fighting Vergil for the last time, but even then, that seemed shoe-horned in at the last minute to inspire an emotional moment. And then there's the gaudy outfit he wears with the long trench/no shirt combo which makes him look like those douchebag rock stars from the 70's. But despite that, I still like this Dante for his gameplay, and how he has a good time killing things. If only he wasn't such a frat boy about it, I'd give him a higher score.

Anime Dante: 5/10 - Forgettable, lack-luster, emotionless, boring. These are the words I would use to describe anime Dante. There was barely an emotion he used, and not enough of a dire situation to put him in that would emulate to me that I was actually watching a Devil May Cry anime. Instead we got generic white haired MC who complains about work but still does it anyway like it's a chore. Dude, you're saving lives here, and not getting killed like a bunch of other humans are suck it up. What did get him this high was how smooth the animation was, and the fact that I do sometimes sit down and watch of few of the episodes without worrying about what happened in the last episode since they're episodic.

DMC4 Dante: 2/10 - this Dante's lucky he has a pretty face, otherwise my score would be lower. This Dante felt like a parody of what fans think Dante was all about, and as a result, just became DMC3 Dante in an older man's body. He felt nothing like the Dante I would put the fate of the world in, and acted more like a teenager then a full-fledged devil hunter whose been doing this for years now. He didn't even fill the mentor status quo for Nero because he was too childish, while NERO felt like the mature one. Koboyashi tried to make Masamune Date out of Dante, and messed Dante up for future Devil May Cry games, and for that, I will never forgive him. The other thing that didn't bring him down to a lower score, was his actual choreography when it came to using his weapons. But other then the better looking graphics, and choreography, this Dante was my least favorite both in design and character. A shame considering DMC4 was a great game in gameplay, with a smooth 60fps, and a beautiful architecture. But what really brought it down for me was how Dante's character was.

DmC Dante: 8/10 - Now I know, I know "DM GIVES DmC DANTE A HIGH SCORE SHOCKER" but hear me out here. DmC Dante seems to have been the only Dante that actually had a character progression. Whether good or bad, at least he HAD character growth that was visibly there to see. From his "not giving a ****" attitude, to "the world is under my protection now". And to me, that's more character development then I've seen of any of the other Dantes. Even DMC1 Dante. Another reason he's got a high score is his design. I always like seeing different iterations of characters because I want to see what makes them different from the one people are use to. I'm not so up-in-arms that I can't take a step on the other side of the lawn to feel the new grass. But back to designs, I really like DmC Dante's look more then the other Dantes for its simplicity and grunge factor, while still keeping the status quo of long coats and fingerless gloves with boots and a big sword. The second thing that got him high on the list is his gameplay being self-taught. Especially with his sword. I always did like characters with self-taught styles of fighting. It shows their merit and how well they train themselves to fight the way they do.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
DMC1 Dante - 6 out of 10
Not much in terms of personality compared to later versions, but he got the job done for me and made me a fan.

DMC2 Dante - No Rating
Cause I still haven't finished DMC2 and prob never will.

DMC3 Dante - 10 out of 10
Everything he did was just awesome, even him sitting down and answering his phone had a huge amount of style in it.
After that moment you can just accept and enjoy everything he does which happens to get even more stylish as the game goes on!
His outfit isn't the best but I accept it fine.

DMC4 Dante - 10 out of 10
The Dante that I project myself on to, the guy who is just there to have fun and doesn't give 2 s**ts about anything else.
While most people would be at shock and awe from the sight of a colossal statue hovering in the air, Dante simply laughs and points out that it has wings. That's the Dante I know and love.
And once again this Dante throws insane amounts of style into everything he does, he's having fun and shows it.

DmC Dante - F**K YOU Ninja Theory out of 10
It'll take another Dante who can make everything he does look awesome for me to forgive this......thing.

Meg

DMC1: 7/10 Much like the overall game, really awesome at the time, but doesn't age to well.
DMC2: 4/10 Looks cool, has one good line, but overall boring
DMC3: 10/10 Basically amazing. Classic. Love him to death. Cheesy hero nonsense doesn't get old.
DMC4: 10/10 Why couldn't the whole game just be about him? He was the best part of the whole thing.
DmC: 4/10 He's okay. I didn't think he was cool or funny. Just blah.

EDIT: I forgot about the novels! 8/10 Very good. Probably the most well-rounded Dante.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It goes like this-

DMC3
DmC
DMC1
DMC4
DMC2
Anime

EDIT- Everybody keeps mentioning the novels, I should try reading them. The manga is probably between DMC1 and DMC4

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
EDIT- Everybody keeps mentioning the novels, I should try reading them. The manga is probably between DMC1 and DMC4
Read Vol. 1 of the novels, at least. DMC as a story literally doesn't get any better than that when it comes to seriously depicting Dante.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Read Vol. 1 of the novels, at least. DMC as a story literally doesn't get any better than that when it comes to seriously depicting Dante.
The novel sounds cool and I'm still mad the anine only used the strawberry sundae snd the name Anthony :'(

To explain my list

DMC3 is first because it's how I got into DMC and I have a special fondness for it. It felt like a really good first season of a show I would like to watch. At the time, he felt different from the Shonens I watched so that's what brought me to him. I enjoyed using him in MVC3.

DmC is second because it's how I got involved in being on a forum. The wonder of a reboot Dante waned the more we fought and the more was revealed. He had a good arc but as a character he felt divided between the personality of one and the back story of another (hyperbithero). @DragonMaster2010 was able to iron it but maybe a sequel would have better luck.

Never played DMC1 but he was alright. A bit dated and he felt too much like an endpoint for Dante's journey. I could understand why the writers have a hard time figuring out what to do with a post DMC1 dante.

DMC4 Dante was fun but never really gelled as a mentor and felt like a filler. The other extreme of DMC2/Anime. Maybe if the writing was more balanced and he had his own campaign...

DMC2 lacked context and was jarring but had a cool vibe and a few good moments.

The anime was competent but dull and safe and this Dante felt more like window dressing. The only episodes worth watching dosent focus on him.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
DMC1 : 1/10, don't like the game, don't like the costume, don't like the personality, and bad voice acting helped

DMC2 : 10/10, this is dante

DMC3 : 7/10, i would rank him higher but DMC4 came along..

DMC4 : 1/10, don't like the personality which affected my DMC3 ranking, don't like the costume, don't like the story in the game, don't like the voice acting

DmC : 10/10, who's the man? you the man dante, i could see him being DMC2 dante

you know, the way i see it, the only misplaced dante is DMC1 dante, 3 matches 4, and DmC is belieavble to turn into DMC2 dante

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
DMC1 : 1/10, don't like the game, don't like the costume, don't like the personality, and bad voice acting helped

DMC2 : 10/10, this is dante

DMC3 : 7/10, i would rank him higher but DMC4 came along..

DMC4 : 1/10, don't like the personality which affected my DMC3 ranking, don't like the costume, don't like the story in the game, don't like the voice acting

DmC : 10/10, who's the man? you the man dante, i could see him being DMC2 dante

you know, the way i see it, the only misplaced dante is DMC1 dante, 3 matches 4, and DmC is belieavble to turn into DMC2 dante
yours is probably the most interesting list because it goes against everybody elses

Top Bottom