• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Rank The Various Dantes.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Language.

Aren't words allowed by the swear filter permitted?

People LOVE that version for some reason, and I'm still completely oblivious as to why. He isn't half as interesting, well-portrayed, or likable as his past or later incarnations

And probably you always will be oblivious so my advice is don't even bother with your constant rants about it (I don't know why rants about say, DmC are condemned but your constant barking against DMC3 are condoned btw), which frankly, at this point are really starting to lose credibility, they're so repetitive.

All those reasons you listed are just you. You don't get to decide what's interesting, or funny, or likeable, etc. All those things are subjective. What interests me can be uninteresting for someone else, what's funny to me may not be for someone else, what is likeable to me may be unlikeable for someone else. For example, reading your description, frankly, DmC Dante is the one that came to my mind. Cause DmC Dante is all of those things to me, fit him to a T. Yet I can always see where people who like him come from, cause I can grasp the concept of different people having different tastes, and what I dislike may very well not be what they dislike. Since you seem to be struggling with this basic concept, I think you'll always be baffled by the people who like DMC3 Dante, no matter how many times or how well they explain it to you.

So just give it a break, for your own mental health, and ours.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
No. Use common sense and don't be vulgar. With dick as long as you're talking about a 1940's private eye or a dude named Richard you're good but if you can't say the female equivalent why would you be able to the male? You can say blow when it's not in a vulgar context, just use common sense.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

And probably you always will be oblivious so my advice is don't even bother with your constant rants about it (I don't know why rants about say, DmC are condemned but your constant barking against DMC3 are condoned btw), which frankly, at this point are really starting to lose credibility, they're so repetitive.
I don't remember him ever acting like people couldn't talk smack about DmC Dante, just also part of the group that's there to correct people when they let their massive hatred towards pretty much everything DmC spout nonsense about the character and his development when they are objectively wrong.

Sounds to me like you just don't wanna hear why certain people think the obnoxious wanna-be Ninja Turtle Dante isn't cool because he's your favorite. It's not like certain people on here have let up on their DmC bashing every time its brought up (it's even in this thread), and I don't see you stepping in and telling them to cool it.

It's all fair game.

Anywho let's get to the important stuff: so is no one else going to eat that pizza covering the Dantes's junk?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I don't remember him ever acting like people couldn't talk smack about DmC Dante

That's not even the point. The point is his repeated, borderline spammy rants about the same thing, hitting the same points over and over and over again.

Sounds to me like you just don't wanna hear why certain people think the obnoxious wanna-be Ninja Turtle Dante isn't cool because he's your favorite.

If that was the case, I would have picked on everyone who ranked DMC3 Dante low here. Did I? No. So don't feed me that.

The thing I'm talking about is merely Wolf's behavior that I mentioned above, not Dante, not DMC3. There are a couple of people here who don't like DMC3 Dante. YOU don't like DMC3 Dante. Yet I don't see you or those people go on constant rants about it. He's pretty much doing what your average DmC hater does, except he's a hater of another game.

It's not like certain people on here have let up on their DmC bashing every time its brought up (it's even in this thread), and I don't see you stepping in and telling them to cool it.

Cause there already is a forum rule against bashing DmC, if you remember. As if you ever stepped in to cool anyone who bashed DMC4 whenever they felt like it anyway.

The point is not even the games or the characters. The point is, why are people to be condemned when they throw manure at DmC every chance they get while if Wolf does the same exact thing just with another game, even in unrelated threads, he gets a pass? There was the same situation with you and DMC4 once, and the staff took action. I'm trying to understand the logic behind the lack of any kind of reprimands towards a guy who adopts the same kind of rant spamming behavior that is always called out when it comes to other people.

Anyway, I PMed the staff about it to take it outside of here, so I ain't keeping talking about it anymore e tanti saluti.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Geez, he's talking about a fictional character.

gl2UYwU.jpg

There's no need to get the staff involved here because I doubt they even care. I'm outtie regardless.

You kids don't get too cuh-rayzee now.
AVV21o1.gif

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Geez, he's talking about a fictional character.

Yeah... I know. In fact I already told you three times that Dante is not the point.

The point is how spamming rants about the same thing hitting the same points countless times every chance presented is annoying and obnoxious, and my incredulity at the fact that this is recognized for some people but not for this guy. The subject of said broken record kinda rants ain't the point. I told you the same thing about your repetitive rants about BvS, remember? Was BvS itself the point I was making? No. The same thing here. Please get it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yeah... I know. In fact I already told you three times that Dante is not the point.

The point is how spamming rants about the same thing hitting the same points countless times every chance presented is annoying and obnoxious, and my incredulity at the fact that this is recognized for some people but not for this guy. The subject of said broken record kinda rants ain't the point. I told you the same thing about your repetitive rants about BvS, remember? Was BvS itself the point I was making? No. The same thing here. Please get it.
The same can be said for some people like the only guy to like your post. Every time the chance rises, they're there to tell everyone how much they hate DmC. Yet you don't say anything. Nobody said anything because quite frankly, we don't care.

My point, is just ignore it and let it go. He's not breaking any rules talking smack about Dante. And the rants every now and then about the character doesn't really qualify in the rules technically as spamming. So, he can totally do this if he wants.

Get over yourself and just leave it alone. Stop trying to drag in mods over petty stuff like this.

By the way, it isn't subjective. Dante is totally a obnoxious wanna-be Ninja Turtle that never shuts his mouth in DMC 3. That's just like, a scientific fact we have to live with.

Now I will continue Assassination Classroom.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The same can be said for some people like the only guy to like your post. Every time the chance rises, they're there to tell everyone how much they hate DmC. Yet you don't say anything.

I told you, there already is a rule tackling DmC specifically. And I can tell you something similar as well, you never defended anyone who went on bashing DMC4. This point of yours goes nowhere.

So, he can totally do this if he wants.

Well, there is at least one staff member that doesn't completely agree, and recognizes that spewing repetitive rants over and over whenever the opportunity presents itself is an issue (once again, inb4 you try to make that point again, disliking something in itself ain't the point nor the problem).

And man, this is not petty. It has to do with a person's ability to enjoy the forum. Why do you think the anti anti-DmC rule was even made? Because there were people who took every chance they saw to throw poop at the game, constantly, intoxicating the atmosphere for everybody. It's only fair to apply the same reasoning the same way towards everyone, not just those who like to bash DmC, cause the consequence is the same. See what I'm saying? It's not "every now and then" either btw.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I told you, there already is a rule tackling DmC specifically. And I can tell you something similar as well, you never defended anyone who went on bashing DMC4. This point of yours goes nowhere.

Well, there is at least one staff member that doesn't completely agree, and recognizes that spewing repetitive rants over and over whenever the opportunity presents itself is an issue.

And man, this is not petty. It has to do with a person's ability to enjoy the forum. Why do you think the anti anti-DmC rule was even made? Because there were people who took every chance they saw to throw poop at the game, constantly, intoxicating the atmosphere for everybody. It's only fair to apply the same reasoning the same way towards everyone, not just those who like to bash DmC, cause the consequence is the same. See what I'm saying? It's not "every now and then" either btw.
That rule about bashing DmC was made only because so many ridiculous fans were specifically going out of their way to absolutely saturate the forums with negativity surrounding the reboot for its existence alone. The only point was to hate, hate, and hate because it was a thing. This is when the fans were really ridiculous. Making petitions to get it pulled from store shelves and what not. This was in the early days.

No one is saying you can't criticize and make fun of the game though. That's not against the rules.

Veloran

By the way, it isn't subjective.
Right. It's clearly objectively untrue.

Because not only is the criticism about his general behavior, something that each person might find subjective (And if I might say, Dante in 1 was little different), it's about the actual writing and development he goes through, something that Wolf insists is completely badly done or nonexistent.

Redgrave Kyo

Unusual sight
Well... Apparently there was a lil' war coming, so I didn't take the care to read it all and I'll just post my own ranking.

1. Devil May Cry 3 (8/10) : we see genuine character development here. From a Dante caring only about battle and belittling his own legacy, we see a Dante caring about his own family. He manages somehow to have Lady smell some coffee about demon-centered racism. The -2 is about the early game, where he screams a bit too much.

2. Devil May Cry 1 (8/10) : We see Dante as he was meant by Kamiya, but by no means I mean Dante is how he "should" be. By taking into account that the game is from 2001, we see a side of Dante we never saw anywhere else : revenge about demons. While Dante is a Devil Hunter, he never made a fuss about revenge, and it's a darker side to him we never managed to clearly percieve outside of DMC3's passive hate of demons. Plus him losing his cool against Mundus.

3. Devil May Cry 4 (6/10) : Problem with this Dante is that Devil May Cry 3 & 1 took care of the whole character, as such Dante lacks depth. His relationship with Nero was mostly based on a wide-scale hide and seek game, and M11 + finals is mostly made of trust towards a "teenager" more than anything. He DOES have awesome moments, like with Lucifer or the Agnus battle. I also remember the first time I did the boss battle. I was like "Oh man. I'm f*cked". Intimidating because you played him for so long.

4. DmC Devil May Cry (5/10) : I'm being quite harsh here. Mostly because I hardly find something else than the "compulsory" I'll-became-a-savior-for-mankind. Like, dude, you were aware of a lot of your own legacy, yet you spent your whole time in having pleasure with babes, drinking alcohol. You never cared for mankind at first until you got approached by Amnesty Intern- sorry, The Order. Okay your eyesore of a brother gave you a lot of useful reasons, but at first it was just because you wanted to **** Mundus off. Plus, you just act like a low-cost rap musician the whole game. You're not being funny, you just swear. I could have forgiven this if it was only until the first third of the game, but you even did it at M17. Devil May Cry is about making fun of your opponent, not swearing him like a baby when your evil classmate steals your lunch. Or this "Dante the demon killer, has a nice ring to it ?" thing. Please. No. That being said, DmC Dante has some good points. His relationship with Kat didn't seem out of the place (even if kinda predictable, but hey we are talking about Devil May Cry), and even if I hate DmC Vergil, both characters are completing themselves pretty well through contrasting, somehow way better than Devil May Cry 3. He also had a form of "respect" towards Lilith, like he really intended to do the trade and everyone gets back home.

5. Devil May Cry 2 (.../10) : Do I really have to talk about Dante's emptiness ? If at least something happened to make him almost mute, I'd be somehow okay. But no.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
*comes back to thread*
He+looks+like+he+got+silicone+breast+implants+in+his+_21ce46babdf750b9bc66f2074b916193.jpg

Really? I leave a thread for a day and all this transpires in my absence? Do I really have to wallpaper the words "IN MY OPINION" at the end of every post, so I don't return to a mountain of butt-hurt to sort through?

Guys, people talk crap about different Dante's and games all the time. Hell, people slam DMC4 a lot on this forum---and for valid reasons, like its undercooked length, its level repetition, its laughable story that's only servicable in comparison to 3's....it's my favorite game in the series, but I'm willing to accept not everybody likes it as much as I do.

You don't see ME swandiving down the throats of users like @Chancey289 or @DragonMaster2010 every time they express THEIR distaste of the game. I'm not as compelled to defend it, because I remember they're ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINION. Geez.

And probably you always will be oblivious so my advice is don't even bother with your constant rants about it
"Advice"? What advice? When have you ever given me advice on anything to do with discussing DMC? And even if you did, what's to be advised about? Policing the opinions of other people?

I'm not sure I follow.

(I don't know why rants about say, DmC are condemned but your constant barking against DMC3 are condoned btw)
Because my criticism of DMC3, or "barking" as you put it, was never and is not backed by entitled whining or blind hatred which I inexplicably spread around the forum like peanut butter. I cut together a lengthy, 8-page long rant venting about everything I don't like about the game, each word of which I stand by to this very day without hesitation, that I can call upon as an argument I actually tried to construct.

The thing is, the admins believe the only time an argument stems on this forum, it's solely because of people talking about DmC...which if this thread is any indication, is not the case at all. We're talking about the original games, and the loose-cannon arguing is STILL happening regardless.

which frankly, at this point are really starting to lose credibility, they're so repetitive.
Yes. I'm hammering the same points constantly because they're the points that matter, that bother me the most, that have relevance in the scheme of my argument against the game.

That's called pushing the point home...it's YOUR job to challenge those points in private conversation or out in the open, not to start bemoaning me each time I decide to do so. We call that "active discussion", something very much encouraged on this forum....and something that RARELY happens regarding DmC, which is probably why there are more cautious rules in place when discussing that game.

All those reasons you listed are just you.
YES. EXACTLY.

Everything I said is COMPLETELY subjective and ENTIRELY down to my own personal bias. Did I really have to explain that? I'm one of the most opinionated orgnaisms on this forum---OF COURSE it's just my opinion. Don't be so shocked that I carry it around with me from forum to forum.

That's not ILLEGAL now, is it?

You don't get to decide what's interesting, or funny, or likeable, etc. All those things are subjective. What interests me can be uninteresting for someone else, what's funny to me may not be for someone else, what is likeable to me may be unlikeable for someone else.
Tell me, oh wise Demosthenes...

At WHAT point did I ever insinuate that I was speaking on behalf of anyone other than myself? "Deciding" what's interesting or funny? WHERE did I do that?

Unlike you, I don't dare to pose authority on what people like or don't like, or how they voice their preferences. All I was saying was that I never could understand the appeal of the character, or why people are so fiercely and feverishly defensive of him...

...a stereotype, by the way, you are not suppressing in the slightest by going out of your way to start all this.

Since you seem to be struggling with this basic concept, I think you'll always be baffled by the people who like DMC3 Dante, no matter how many times or how well they explain it to you.
*SIGH.*

Look, I know that Dante is some kind of paragon of pristine goodness that no one can ever befoul with a contrasting opinion...but I wasn't directly insulting anyone who LIKES him, let alone anybody on this thread. If I don't get or comprehend the appeal of something, that doesn't automatically mean I have some bone to pick with people that like things that I don't.

Although, ironically, there appear to be plenty of people who have a bone to pick with ME over something so insignificant and inane as a fictional character...and not even an ORIGINAL or remotely-well made one, at that.

So just give it a break, for your own mental health, and ours.

Well, that's just a great way to come off as logically-sound and with argumentative credential.

"Your opinion sucks so stop whining." Love it.

That's not even the point. The point is his repeated, borderline spammy rants about the same thing, hitting the same points over and over and over again.

The thing I'm talking about is merely Wolf's behavior that I mentioned above, not Dante, not DMC3. There are a couple of people here who don't like DMC3 Dante. YOU don't like DMC3 Dante. Yet I don't see you or those people go on constant rants about it. He's pretty much doing what your average DmC hater does, except he's a hater of another game.

And what if I do? Even if my rants are nothing more than spammy little rants, why is it YOUR business if I do it?

And for the record, I've been spinning criticsm of DMC3 LOOOONG before hating DmC became the fanbase's contact sport. The difference, is that I try to argue and make legitimate points...

...and for someone who whines tirelessly about how I "rant" and "spam" about DMC3, you really haven't jumped to any opportunities to challenge me on any of my views specifically before now. That's what a sensible person does, instead of dismissing their opinion as a godless casual, who needs to "shut up for his own mental health and everyone else's."

Cause there already is a forum rule against bashing DmC, if you remember. As if you ever stepped in to cool anyone who bashed DMC4 whenever they felt like it anyway.

People bash DMC4 plenty. I'm kind of surprised you don't see it, really...

The difference is that, while it's my favorite, I don't have some mental compulsion to defend it everytime someone deflowers it with criticism. Because I still remember it's just a game, and a polarizing one at that.

DMC is not the Holy City of Jerusalem. It's a franchise of good games, terrible lore, and undeveloped characters. If people want to talk about it in any kind of negative light, they can and they should.

The point is, why are people to be condemned when they throw manure at DmC every chance they get while if Wolf does the same exact thing just with another game, even in unrelated threads, he gets a pass?

Probably because I don't start policing people about their opinions ON DmC. I talk about the series and its fanbase on an indirect level, never insulting anyone for their views in particular.

That's called fair and harmless discussion...very much the opposite of trying to be the Opinion Shinsengumi, like you're trying to be.

Right. It's clearly objectively untrue.

Because not only is the criticism about his general behavior, something that each person might find subjective (And if I might say, Dante in 1 was little different), it's about the actual writing and development he goes through, something that Wolf insists is completely badly done or nonexistent.
If you really believe that, I invite you to check out that little essay I linked earlier, because that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game's story and writing better than I can here. If you feel any strong obligation to voice any disagreement with it, and want to do so rationally and thoughtfully, we can always discuss it via PM.

I wish we wouldn't have to resort to such measures on a forum intended for OPEN DISCUSSION, but apparently voicing any negative input on the precious dimpled face of the Devil May Cry series requires retreating to a bunker for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@WolfOD64
Yeah I've heard you singing that song before. I could go point by point breaking your essay down but I've come to know you enough to realize it would have no effect whatsoever. And I really don't have the willpower to write long ass posts right now.

I've said my piece, you've said yours. Tanti saluti, ci vediamo.

Last edited:

Redgrave Kyo

Unusual sight
Which makes things a lil' bit worse. I somehow was convinced he knew a little bit about it, but I clearly remember his face when he heard "Son of Sparda". Welp.

Meg

What in the what is happening?!?!?! :eek:

Seriously this thread is regarding a fictional character. And the center of all this nonsense is DMC3 Dante. The game came out 11 years ago. Chill out, my mans.

@WolfOD64 @Chancey289 banned from thread because what are you two even doing? :eek: And @Foxtrot94 you can just ignore this kind of nonsense in the future. No need to drag yourself down too.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
So apparently it's 'petty' if members go to the staff for help with stuff. That's news to me. I hadn't heard that one before. Um, actually...it's kind of normal and an okay thing to do. If something/someone is annoying someone, upsetting someone, or just generally bothering them in any way, then it's absolutely fine for them to get us involved. Actually, you know, it's kind of our duty.

And no, it ISN'T a point of somebody making reasons as to why they don't like something and so everyone else has to argue those reasons - It'd make sense and work if it didn't probably end up the same way it usually always has done - Y'know, with members arguing and threads getting shut down. There's making a point, and then there's MAKING A POINT! You see the difference?

A lot of you want to bring up DmC. I personally don't see how that matters here. Pretty sure that it's clear as day as to why we took extra measures in that regard. The same thing applies to any other form of bashing, if it's done excessively.

We're not here to silence opinions. But threads like this one and others aren't open invitations to devote your time to trash the games/characters or whatever else. This goes back to my earlier point - there's getting your point across, and then there's just expressing yourself because you have an easy opportunity to - I'm okay with the former, just not the latter.

The lesson here is just to ease up on pushing out that hatred or dislike. I mean, fictional characters or not, it's always bound to strike a bad cord with someone. That always inevitably ends up in arguments. And then we come along to try and pick up the pieces. When points are made, they're made, and when everything is said and done then people should move on.

Veloran

If you really believe that, I invite you to check out that little essay I linked earlier, because that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game's story and writing better than I can here. If you feel any strong obligation to voice any disagreement with it, and want to do so rationally and thoughtfully, we can always discuss it via PM.
Firstly, I can't quite agree with your assessment of DMC3's combat system and how it plays. Initially, it can be difficult to come to terms with - The slow, almost static, oftentimes pre-placed camera is offputting at the beginning, you feel as though you have little control over it. But as time went on I grew accustomed, and realized that it's like that by design, you're not intended to constantly be moving the camera's position with the right stick, you're supposed to let it sit. Rather than force the camera and Dante into alignment, you learn to use the directional inputs based on Dante's orientation, not yours.

In terms of controls and feedback, I'd vehemently disagree that there's any kind of lag on the buttons you press to Dante's actions. The controls are in fact extremely responsive, I don't think the insane plethora of combo videos put out over the past decade are all down to players personally compensating for input delay and making the best of it.

Keep in mind, this is the opinion of someone whose first experience with DMC3 was the unmodded PC version. With constant frame stutter due to the audio bugs and unusable triggers resulting in forced mapping to L3 and R3 - I wasn't even capable of manually switching targets or instantly readjusting the camera. Despite this, I found DMC3 to be more accessible than even DMC4, which without it's turbo mode was sluggish.

As for the story - Quite frankly, I don't understand your criticisms whatsoever, especially in terms of how you compare 3 to 1. It is not consistent for you to praise Dante in 1 but so harshly criticize and bash Dante in 3.

You absolutely rake DMC3's dialogue and delivery over the coals while dismissing how DMC1's was often far, far worse. You cite 3Dante as being disgustingly overpowered and Godlike from the very beginning of the game while simultaneously ignoring that 1Dante did the exact same thing at the beginning of his game. You say that the conflict between Dante and Vergil has no tension in 3 because there was no insight on them as a family, while ignoring the drastically worse problem of Nelo Angelo in 1 and Dante's relationship with Trish and whole motivation of going to the island in the first place being his family, which the player knows absolutely nothing about. You insist that DMC3's story absolutely is intended to be taken in complete seriousness, but turn around and say that DMC1's campiness was great and supposed to be laughed at, and that it was all fine because DMC1 wasn't story-driven anyway.

None of this makes any sense. In fact, many of your narrative complaints can be disproved easily, to a degree that suggests straight inattention on your part when viewing the plot. More than anything else, it feels like you're forcing yourself to hate 3, and I think that's why people get on your back about it.

Top Bottom