• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kamiya wants to rock with Capcom

berto

I Saw the Devil
Platinum includes some people who were responsible for DMC1 as well, as far as I know.
Yes, Team Little Angels was composed mostly of people who were once part of Team Little Devils.
nobody wants another DMC1,
I do.
So, that simply means Kamiya already did his version of DMC( which is Bayonetta)
Bayonetta was never meant to be a DMC game. At the beginning, when people were comparing it to DMC Kamya was rather unsatisfied with that perception. He wanted Bayo to a separate entity, a modern action title that showcased everything him and his team had learned after DMC, which does not equate to another DMC.

Some of the worst seller games from Capcom were made by Kamiya.
Which also happen to be some of the greatest as well. Okami, Viewtiful Joe, DMC, and RE2, which of those was the bad game? Just because a game didn't sale doesn't mean that it was a bad game, we all know that.

and of course he is one who made Dante Dante
I don't agree with you there. I think that Dante was more Mikami than we give him credit for. Look at some of his other characters, they all have this bravado that you don't really see in Kamiya characters. Yeah, Kamiya's are these fun loving lively goofy bunch but Mikami's are these driven action heroes who go forward with stride and fearlessness. I wouldn't define Kamiya's characters as such. That's why I think Dante has more in common with the Mikami bunch than the Kamiya.

I mean, I love Bayo's character, but I wouldn't like a Dante like that.
Everyone seems to have this impression that Dante would be portrayed in a similar fashion as Bayonetta but that's like saying that Amaterasu would be portrayed in a similar fashion as Joe. Dante and Bayonetta were crafted as very different individuals, one was supposed to be this cool guy who always smiled at danger but took himself seriously every now and again and the other was what Kamiya considered his 'ideal woman,' which is not the nicest thing to say when your wife is in hearing range, but my point stands. They wouldn't be the same character, they never were nor were they meant to be, nor was Bayonetta ever supposed to be a DMC clone, there is too much of VJ and Okami in it to be one.

The guy was trying to be nice.I wouldn't expecting him to said" they suck and I hate them".Lol.Don't worry!
Why can't he like the DmC approach? He approved a great deal of what made DmC DmC. Him and other Capcom staff approved his character design, took them a year to do so but they wanted that one. They wanted to be shocked, is what they said, if I remember correctly.

For the record, if anyone here finds Kamiya to be of reprehensible character I'll remind you that that does not in any way inhibit his capacity to make a video game. Often time it's their character flaws that make them able to make the media others don't.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Which also happen to be some of the greatest as well. Okami, Viewtiful Joe, DMC, and RE2, which of those was the bad game? Just because a game didn't sale doesn't mean that it was a bad game, we all know that.
It's not the quality, but their sales. If sales weren't a issue for a DMC5, we wouldn't be so worried right now about DMC 's future
I don't agree with you there. I think that Dante was more Mikami than we give him credit for. Look at some of his other characters, they all have this bravado that you don't really see in Kamiya characters. Yeah, Kamiya's are these fun loving lively goofy bunch but Mikami's are these driven action heroes who go forward with stride and fearlessness. I wouldn't define Kamiya's characters as such. That's why I think Dante has more in common with the Mikami bunch than the Kamiya.
This is true.
Why can't he like the DmC approach? He approved a great deal of what made DmC DmC. Him and other Capcom staff approved his character design, took them a year to do so but they wanted that one. They wanted to be shocked, is what they said, if I remember correctly.
Point taken, but part of fandom would like classic DMC to stay just like it was.The same way DmC should be preserved the way it was, with its sequels made by Ninja Theory as well.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Umm..Can you please explain where Mikami comes in picture? Because I didn't find any proof of him working on DMC1, aside from convincing Kamiya not to make RE in the form it was. Here's Kamiya's blog on the matter:
http://platinumgames.com/2009/04/01/greetings/
So you know. I don't think mikami can take credit for a character he didn't created.
Actually all Mikami's character are more grounded ones like Jill and Chris from RE.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's not the quality, but their sales. If sales weren't a issue for a DMC5, we wouldn't be so worried right now about DMC 's future
I see. So it's not his ability to deliver but rather his financial track record.

Umm..Can you please explain where Mikami comes in picture? Because I didn't find any proof of him working on DMC1, aside from convincing Kamiya not to make RE in the form it was.
You mean besides the fact that he is the executive producer which alone is not a position that involves detachment from the project.

Also, doesn't anyone ever read all the things I post in the DMC1 section?
http://devilmaycry.org/threads/shinji-mikami-2001-ign-interview.13113/
http://devilmaycry.org/threads/the-original-scenario-of-bio-hazard-4-devil-may-cry.10958/
he is in no way uninvolved.

So you know. I don't think mikami can take credit for a character he didn't created.
Actually all Mikami's character are more grounded ones like Jill and Chris from RE.
Well, first, Kamiya didn't create the character alone. It was a process of writing, drawing, and rewriting and redrawing him over and over a few times and it happened in a room full of people inside a studio with feedback and lots of talks back and forth, not just Kamiya alone.
And, yeah, Mikami has made a few series characters, like Chris, Jill, Wesker, the Smiths, and Regina, but he's also made some very action hero types, like Leon, Vanessa, Billy, Ada and Sam, and some rather silly ones like Gene, but amongst all those categories there are plenty of characters who share more in common with DMC1 Dante than Bayonetta or DMC2-4's Dante. The way they carry themselves, their way of interacting with others, and their overall attitude.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I see. So it's not his ability to deliver but rather his financial track record.

You mean besides the fact that he is the executive producer which alone is not a position that involves detachment from the project.
I just want to point you out that DMC1 producer was Kobayashi. Not Mikami. Mikami is producer of RE franchise and he left to do it afterwards. So Mikami wasn't in DMC1 team.
He was involved as long as it was connected to RE. He was busy making RE afterward.

Well, first, Kamiya didn't create the character alone. It was a process of writing, drawing, and rewriting and redrawing him over and over a few times and it happened in a room full of people inside a studio with feedback and lots of talks back and forth, not just Kamiya alone..
Original scenario was written by Sugimura, not by Mikami. Kamiya rewritten it, after Mikami insisted that it shouldn't be what it was. Sugimura created Tony Redgrave. Which Kamiya later rewritten in Dante and added Divine Comedy references. So Dante as a final draft was defined and made by Kamiya. (and honestly by this logic you can write off all character creators, except maybe Kojima who contributed to pretty much all parts of MG)
And, yeah, Mikami has made a few series characters, like Chris, Jill, Wesker, the Smiths, and Regina, but he's also made some very action hero types, like Leon, Vanessa, Billy, Ada and Sam, and some rather silly ones like Gene, but amongst all those categories there are plenty of characters who share more in common with DMC1 Dante than Bayonetta or DMC2-4's Dante. The way they carry themselves, their way of interacting with others, and their overall attitude.
You know that those characters weren't made by Mikami? They were written by Sugimoto. At least all RE2 character were. Actually plot of RE2 was made by Kamiya. He also had arguments with Mikami on it, but Mikami later stepped down. So I once again point that Kamiya has very diverse characters portfolio.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I honestly don't trust Kamiya with Devil May Cry.

I know people are going to shriek about the game needing to "go back to basics" and to its "original creator", but I've belonged to another fanbase where that crap is shrieked on a daily basis. And when the series went back to Dylan Cuthbert, the man practically responsible for building the original game from the ground up, was brought back to work on a sequel...we got the single laziest, most absurd, most insultingly-watered down game in the franchise.

A series going back to its original life-blood does not guarantee instant quality. As much as I appreciate how much Kamiya borrowed from DMC4 when he crafted Bayonetta's combat system, I still think that he makes a lot of design mistakes that Capcom has been making for years. If you don't believe me, just play the first Bayonetta game---which he developed with his own team, and completely under his own direction----and then play Bayonetta 2, a game which was much more of a Nintendo and Platinum effort of design and layout, and you'll see what I mean.

All DMC needs---or really, has ever needed---is the combined effort of Itsuna and co., to provide good gameplay (which is borderline-ensured in a new game, now that they've learned what works and what doesn't through making DMC3 and 4), and a competent writer....

...the latter of which, has never surfaced in a DMC game.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Because reading some of the comments, it seems people are thinking of sort of "Kamiya buys the license and gets back to DMC alone" scenario.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Oh look, he's now talking all sweet about Capcom on Twitter... says he's a "good fan" and that Capcom "is still home for most of them"... GTFO.

I'm tellin ya, he wants DMC back so bad, and kinda looks like he's willing to swallow his pride and work with Capcom now, if that means working on it.

If that was the case, and he actually had the chance to collaborate with Capcom for DMC5, as its "subordinate" (not the best word, couldn't find a better one atm), how would you react? I think I'd be fine with it. Granted the two of them get along with each other enough not to hurt the project. Because yes @berto, when it comes to collaborations, a person's attitude CAN have an impact on the final product.

Gel

Premium
Oh look, he's now talking all sweet about Capcom on Twitter... says he's a "good fan" and that Capcom "is still home for most of them"... GTFO.

I'm tellin ya, he wants DMC back so bad, and kinda looks like he's willing to swallow his pride and work with Capcom now, if that means working on it.

If that was the case, and he actually had the chance to collaborate with Capcom for DMC5, as its "subordinate" (not the best word, couldn't find a better one atm), how would you react? I think I'd be fine with it. Granted the two of them get along with each other enough not to hurt the project. Because yes @berto, when it comes to collaborations, a person's attitude CAN have an impact on the final product.
I don't trust him! His behavior is highly suspect.He has something up his sleeve and it is not good! His behavior is becoming creep.

Viper

Premium
@Foxtrot94
"The wolf changes his coat, but not his disposition." I wouldn't feel good with Kamiya working on DMC. He might be sweet-talking, but it's very sudden and after he has gained reputation of a very stubborn and rude person.

Reactions: Gel

Gel

Premium
This guy insulted everyone, DMC, it's fans, Capcom and now, from nowhere, he is kissing Capcom's backside? You know people don't change, don't you? This behavior is scary and alarming!

Gel

Premium
@Gel
@Viper
Ehm... where did I say I believe him? I think you missed this part of my post:

Of course I know that he's not sincere. And of course I do wonder what's going on in that head of his.
I know what is going on and it's not pretty.Revenge is a very nasty thing!

Top Bottom