• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kamiya wants to rock with Capcom

Judge

Kamiya already said over and over he wouldn't work with Itsuno.Kamiya is territorial, he gives a damn about others opinions.He just don't care.
Kamiya gave us DMC1, but Itsuno gave us DMC3, which is basically the climax of all series.Tell me, which one is the best?

Your missing the point without 1 there would be no 3. Inadverntly Platinum Games gave us all the DMC games. DMC3 is based on the games which came before it.

Besides I remember Hideaki Itsuno asked Hideki Kamiya for advice when he was making DMC3, and Hideki Kamiya told Itsuno to make whatever game he wants. That dosen't sound teritorial to me. It sounds like he supported what Itsuso wanted and didn't get in the way of the game.

or rather what specifically has he said?

I haven't seen him directly criticise the game. I'm just wondering where this coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Your missing the point without 1 there would be no 3. Inadverntly Platinum Games gave us all the DMC games. DMC3 is based on the games which came before it.

Besides I remember Hideaki Itsuno asked Hideki Kamiya for advice when he was making DMC3, and Hideki Kamiya told Itsuno to make whatever game he wants. That dosen't sound teritorial to me. It sounds like he supported what Itsuso wanted and didn't get in the way of the game.

Simple: ask people what they want : a DMC1 or a DMC3?Anyway Kamiya didn't do DMC1 alone,so whatever.

PS: we are walking in circles, just like it was with DmC. I feel like we were in 2010 all over again.This is becoming tiring!

Viper

Premium

Or he was simply butthurt and didn't want to have anything to do with it, expecting it to be a disaster like DMC2 (not that DMC2 was a disaster, it's just how many people see it).

Reactions: Gel

Gel

Premium
Or he was simply butthurt and didn't want to have anything to do with it, expecting it to be a disaster like DMC2 (not that DMC2 was a disaster, it's just how many people see it).
And DMC3 became the climax of the series.That's it!

berto

I Saw the Devil
I just want to point you out that DMC1 producer was Kobayashi. Not Mikami. Mikami is producer of RE franchise and he left to do it afterwards. So Mikami wasn't in DMC1 team.
Executive producer, mate. He is both credited and proud of his work on it. Remember that Kamiya is a scary cat and doesn't do horror and the only horror Kobayashi has ever made was with Mikami, because if Kobayashi had more influence on DMC1 than Mikami did why does it feel like RE game and not a SB like DMC4 does? Because no other Kamiya or Kobayashi games have that atmosphere that Mikami did so well. Just play the RE Remake HD and tell me if the games are not of the same vein.

He was involved as long as it was connected to RE. He was busy making RE afterward.
Where did you hear that? Mikami was still discussing DMC1 well into the name change. He introduced the game and promoted it. It's not like he said 'not RE, not my problem.' You are right that Mikami was also directing RE:Remake but all the more to note the similarities of both games.

Original scenario was written by Sugimura, not by Mikami.
And you think the project's executive producer gets no input into the matter? It's true that Suguimura's influence on the plot and many of the elements are obvious, just look at Haunting Ground, But Mikami also played a big part on the game and on Dante and Trish's final product.

Kamiya rewritten it, after Mikami insisted that it shouldn't be what it was. Sugimura created Tony Redgrave. Which Kamiya later rewritten in Dante and added Divine Comedy references. So Dante as a final draft was defined and made by Kamiya.
Ok, where did you hear all of this? You make it sound like you were there.

Here are the facts as we know them. DMC starts out as RE4. The prototypes revolved aroun a treasure hunter at one point and a cop at some other point. Tony Redgrave is the main character who has a partner named Aisha. Kamiya and Sugimura are said to have writen the story, details of how it all went down, who wrote what when how, are not known to me. Well into production Mikami suggests to Kamiya a name change, which Mikami claims he had to be sneaky about so that Kamiya will be more receptive to the idea. Mikami promotes the game in 2001's Sony E3 conference and interviews since Kamiya only really starts becoming vocal about his games with the media during his work in Okami, except for a rare interview here or there. DMC1 releases in 2001 crediting Kamiya as director, Kobayashi as Producer, Mikami as Executive Producer, and special thanks to Sugimura for Technical Cooperation.

I've never heard anyone ever mention the sequence of events playing out as you've just described them, but if you have a source I'd love to see it (I'm not being sarcastic here, I really would).

(and honestly by this logic you can write off all character creators, except maybe Kojima who contributed to pretty much all parts of MG)
The notion that a character isn't made by a single person? You think only one guy gets credit and other who had and hand don't get to make a similar claim? I never implied that Kamiya didn't create Dante, simply that he didn't do it alone and that Mikami had more influence on his final rendition because I've played just about every Shinji Mikami game and I've played most Hideki Kamiya games and I can tell that Mikami's characters have more in common with Dante of DMC1 than Kamiya's do, and that's all I've been insinuating. You can list off character traits and list why they are similar but it's the general way they talk, the way they carry themselves, and the overall archetypes are more Mikami than Kamiya. I never meant to imply that Kamiya was not Dante and Trish's creator, that was not my intention, simply that it wasn't just him alone.

You know that those characters weren't made by Mikami? They were written by Sugimoto.
Who is Sugimoto? If you mean Sugimura he died in 2005, why does he get credit for all Shinji Mikami characters? Also, he wasn't even involved with RE1 or 4 nor Vanquish, or PN03 or GodHand. Granted, it's possible that he created Leon and Ada but their portrayal in 2 and 4 are very different, 4 has more in common in terms of characters to DMC1 than RE2 does. Still, I've played my fair share of Sugimura games, too, and I can tell you that, while he certainly has influence on characters and script his characters are rarely defined as Dante-sque, there are one or two but for the most part they are more like RE2's characters. That's not to say that they are not, his influence, from what I can see, is very notable in Dante, mostly in the dialogue.

Still, let's say for the sake of argument that you are right, that out of all the people involved in Dante's creation only one should be considered the creator. What does that change, exactly? Let's say Kamiya is the sole creator of Dante and Trish and no one else. Mikami and Sugimura's influence is still palpable and without them it's not going to be the same. The point of this whole thread is that the director of DMC1, one of Dante's creators, wants to help Capcom kick ass with next iteration (is what we are assuming, I still think that he might be after a different franchise since he's expressed more interest in them than DMC, which he's sworn off a few times in the past). That kind of implies that there'll be a deeper connection with the original than with the newer games but like I've been saying, Kamiya alone didn't make the character, didn't make the action alone, and didn't make the game alone so it won't be like the original, even in terms of character. In terms of been better or worse everyone has a thick opinion on the matter, don't we?

At least all RE2 character were. Actually plot of RE2 was made by Kamiya. He also had arguments with Mikami on it, but Mikami later stepped down. So I once again point that Kamiya has very diverse characters portfolio.
First of all, don't forget that RE2 has 2 versions, one of which wasn't released because Capcom felt it wasn't up to par with the original, which seemed to be too action heavy and so it got reworked from the ground up to be horror. Second, Kamiya doesn't like horror, he's mentioned it on more than one occasion and so who do you think of the two is the one who would make it in to a horror game? I've never heard of Mikami stepping down but unlike DMC, RE has a lot of people who have all the info on how things went down so I'm sure looking it up won't be as big a hustle.

Because yes @berto, when it comes to collaborations, a person's attitude CAN have an impact on the final product.
Granted, but results speak more than the personal politics that go on during development so as long as they deliver, which they did with 1, arguments and disagreements are nothing more than stories for us to gossip about.

This guy insulted everyone, DMC, it's fans, Capcom and now, from nowhere, he is kissing Capcom's backside? You know people don't change, don't you? This behavior is scary and alarming!
Fans and those on Tweeter there is nothing to say, telling people to f***-off is not right, even if they are bombarding you with the same message over and over again, since you can just ignore them and move on. In that he should've been more professional because he represented P* as a key employee.

As for Capcom I've never heard of him insult them. When was this? Still, Kamiya and the people at Capcom, unlike us, are friends. They meet and talk and hang out. We don't know how things are between them at any given point. For all we know they had dinner the other day and told jokes all night. We only see this from the tweeter side which isn't reflective of the actual status of their relationships.

All over the years, even in interviews: he made fun of DMC and whatever work Capcom had done with the franchise
What is it that he said? I've never heard him 'insult' the franchise. I've heard him say that he'd never go back to it because one someone else made alterations it didn't feel like it was his anymore, even compared it to a girlfriend that got fooled into going with someone else and he complained about the dice game in DMC4 a lot, which we've all done. What else has he said about DMC or it's staff that's got everyone so upset?

Umm first I want to point you that he probably wasn't talking about DMC.
It was DMC. It was back in the days that Bayonetta was in the making. He said something around the lines of not wanting the girl back because he's got to focus on his new girl.

This sounds a lot like something those DmC fans who defended Tameem's comment about DMC not being cool anymore would say, but now the tables have turned and now it's the defense of Kamiya's bull over the years and calling it "over-exaggeration".

ironic.
In this case it's true. Kamiya isn't the only one who complained about the behavior of the executives at Capcom. We've seen their way of handling the company and they almost went broke. It's not as though we've never said anything bad about anyone ever. Still, that guy really needs to get off tweeter, he's really not handling it in the best possible manner. Capcom corporate aside he's leaving a bad impression with some of the comments he posts in response to things when he looses patience.

Still, you got to give the guy credit, he was one of the people who showed his support to NT when they were getting bombarded with negative fan mail and attention. Not as though everything he posts on Tweeter is bad.

so i guess the question is, if it comes down to kamiya or no DMC which is it?
That's not the situation at all. Kamiya simply said he wants to rock with Capcom. His involvement in it in no way will determine a sequel or a lack there of.

To answer the hypothetical conundrum, though, (even if DMC5 was to be made with or without him) I'd vote for with because if anything the guy know action. He might be a scary cat, he might be hard to work with (or was, haven't heard any complains from people his worked with in the last 13 years, just DMC), and he might not know how to behave himself in tweeter as a representative of a company, but he makes good games, no question about that.

Where exactly has he criticised DMC4?
Dice game.

Edit:
Igshh.:eek::bored:
I'm tapping out of this one. I just wrote an essay without even realizing it. I'd best just leave this as is before I have posts long enough to publish.:whistle::whistle:

Last edited:

Gel

Premium
What is it that he said? I've never heard him 'insult' the franchise. I've heard him say that he'd never go back to it because one someone else made alterations it didn't feel like it was his anymore, even compared it to a girlfriend that got fooled into going with someone else and he complained about the dice game in DMC4 a lot, which we've all done. What else has he said about DMC or it's staff that's got everyone so upset?
See, I was telling the truth when I said that he said the franchise was like a slutty girl.No, it's his hipocrisy: so DMC is a slut, but he wants to touch it slutty body again? Not very consistent , the guy!
Kamiya IS a difficult guy and his boss can't handle him.That's granted! But since the very beginning I explained I'm more fond of Itsuno's direction and characters, instead of Kamiya's.I've nothing against his work, but I just don't want him to touch DMC once again, no matter how good people think he is.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Executive producer, mate. He is both credited and proud of his work on it. Remember that Kamiya is a scary cat and doesn't do horror and the only horror Kobayashi has ever made was with Mikami, because if Kobayashi had more influence on DMC1 than Mikami did why does it feel like RE game and not a SB like DMC4 does? Because no other Kamiya or Kobayashi games have that atmosphere that Mikami did so well. Just play the RE Remake HD and tell me if the games are not of the same vein.
I played RE remake and outside of mansion it has no similarities. RE never tried to be cool before RE4. And Kamiya still directed RE2.

Where did you hear that? Mikami was still discussing DMC1 well into the name change. He introduced the game and promoted it. It's not like he said 'not RE, not my problem.' You are right that Mikami was also directing RE:Remake but all the more to note the similarities of both games.
He still didn't written anything in it. So it still won't gives him any credit as game designer.

And you think the project's executive producer gets no input into the matter? It's true that Suguimura's influence on the plot and many of the elements are obvious, just look at Haunting Ground, But Mikami also played a big part on the game and on Dante and Trish's final product.
"Sugimura's influence"? He was one who written plot of original draft of DMC. not mikami.

Ok, where did you hear all of this? You make it sound like you were there.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil/column/vol010.html
Use google translate. Here Kamiya describes process of creating Dante and naming him,

Here are the facts as we know them. DMC starts out as RE4. The prototypes revolved aroun a treasure hunter at one point and a cop at some other point. Tony Redgrave is the main character who has a partner named Aisha. Kamiya and Sugimura are said to have writen the story, details of how it all went down, who wrote what when how, are not known to me. Well into production Mikami suggests to Kamiya a name change, which Mikami claims he had to be sneaky about so that Kamiya will be more receptive to the idea. Mikami promotes the game in 2001's Sony E3 conference and interviews since Kamiya only really starts becoming vocal about his games with the media during his work in Okami, except for a rare interview here or there. DMC1 releases in 2001 crediting Kamiya as director, Kobayashi as Producer, Mikami as Executive Producer, and special thanks to Sugimura for Technical Cooperation.
I just posted original blog post from DMC1 development. Suugimura wrote original plot. Kamyia rewrote it.
I've never heard anyone ever mention the sequence of events playing out as you've just described them, but if you have a source I'd love to see it (I'm not being sarcastic here, I really would)..
Just go through blog. It describes all of kamiya's design process.
The notion that a character isn't made by a single person? You think only one guy gets credit and other who had and hand don't get to make a similar claim? I never implied that Kamiya didn't create Dante, simply that he didn't do it alone and that Mikami had more influence on his final rendition because I've played just about every Shinji Mikami game and I've played most Hideki Kamiya games and I can tell that Mikami's characters have more in common with Dante of DMC1 than Kamiya's do, and that's all I've been insinuating. You can list off character traits and list why they are similar but it's the general way they talk, the way they carry themselves, and the overall archetypes are more Mikami than Kamiya. I never meant to imply that Kamiya was not Dante and Trish's creator, that was not my intention, simply that it wasn't just him alone.
Sorry, I don't think that's how design works. If somebody makes a character, and listen to feedback and adapts it into something different, even under influence of others, it's still his creation.

Who is Sugimoto? If you mean Sugimura he died in 2005, why does he get credit for all Shinji Mikami characters? Also, he wasn't even involved with RE1 or 4 nor Vanquish, or PN03 or GodHand. Granted, it's possible that he created Leon and Ada but their portrayal in 2 and 4 are very different, 4 has more in common in terms of characters to DMC1 than RE2 does. Still, I've played my fair share of Sugimura games, too, and I can tell you that, while he certainly has influence on characters and script his characters are rarely defined as Dante-sque, there are one or two but for the most part they are more like RE2's characters. That's not to say that they are not, his influence, from what I can see, is very notable in Dante, mostly in the dialogue.
Because not all RE characters are made by Mikami. Mikami created original bund (Jill, Chris, Wesker). Sugimura created later characters (Leon, Claire, Ada). Also dunno what games you played but Sugimura was involved into tons of games including Onimusha and Dino Crisis 2.
Still, let's say for the sake of argument that you are right, that out of all the people involved in Dante's creation only one should be considered the creator. What does that change, exactly? Let's say Kamiya is the sole creator of Dante and Trish and no one else. Mikami and Sugimura's influence is still palpable and without them it's not going to be the same. The point of this whole thread is that the director of DMC1, one of Dante's creators, wants to help Capcom kick ass with next iteration (is what we are assuming, I still think that he might be after a different franchise since he's expressed more interest in them than DMC, which he's sworn off a few times in the past). That kind of implies that there'll be a deeper connection with the original than with the newer games but like I've been saying, Kamiya alone didn't make the character, didn't make the action alone, and didn't make the game alone so it won't be like the original, even in terms of character. In terms of been better or worse everyone has a thick opinion on the matter, don't we?
What makes me wonder, sorry but do you think Kamiya will make theoretical DMC5 alone? I don't think so. He'll be working in team, probably with Itsuno &co. No designer works outside of team on big projects. So of course it be different, but it won't mean Kamiya makes it singlehanded.

First of all, don't forget that RE2 has 2 versions, one of which wasn't released because Capcom felt it wasn't up to par with the original, which seemed to be too action heavy and so it got reworked from the ground up to be horror. Second, Kamiya doesn't like horror, he's mentioned it on more than one occasion and so who do you think of the two is the one who would make it in to a horror game? I've never heard of Mikami stepping down but unlike DMC, RE has a lot of people who have all the info on how things went down so I'm sure looking it up won't be as big a hustle.
It was mikami's version that was scrapped which led to initial disagreement, until Capcom executives didn't solved it, and he left RE2 on Kamiya and Sugimura. Thing is Mikami wanted to end RE with RE2, while Kamiya took more film approach which allowed it to continue.

Fans and those on Tweeter there is nothing to say, telling people to f***-off is not right, even if they are bombarding you with the same message over and over again, since you can just ignore them and move on. In that he should've been more professional because he represented P* as a key employee
Well I never told he was nice guy. Just that people like them were asking for it themselves.

As for Capcom I've never heard of him insult them. When was this? Still, Kamiya and the people at Capcom, unlike us, are friends. They meet and talk and hang out. We don't know how things are between them at any given point. For all we know they had dinner the other day and told jokes all night. We only see this from the tweeter side which isn't reflective of the actual status of their relationships.
He didn't insulted them but he did claimed that not all sequels are even implying DMC2 and than told that Capcom took his project from him.

It was DMC. It was back in the days that Bayonetta was in the making. He said something around the lines of not wanting the girl back because he's got to focus on his new girl.
Wait so this whole topic about ages old topic? D:

berto

I Saw the Devil
I played RE remake and outside of mansion it has no similarities. RE never tried to be cool before RE4. And Kamiya still directed RE2.
You're kidding me. You see no similarities between REHD and DMC1? Tell me you're only talking about the gameplay. The music, the fixed angles, the kinda basicly the same layout of castle/mansion, then you leave for a foresty area, lots of graves, come back to castle/mansion, discover underground passage to final boss, kill boss but not really and finish off with the boss coming back for a last confrontation and someone throwing you a weapon to finally kill off said boss followed by making flying escape while the place you just spent the entire game on explodes, not to mention that script quality and overall silly dialogue and you say they have nothing similar? Sorry, mate, but you've lost me.

He still didn't written anything in it. So it still won't gives him any credit as game designer.
That's a rather unfair way of refusing him the credit he is do. That's very much saying he didn't have a single thing to do with development even though his work is evident all over the place.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil/column/vol010.html
Use google translate. Here Kamiya describes process of creating Dante and naming him,
Ugg. I hate google translate.

Sorry, I don't think that's how design works. If somebody makes a character, and listen to feedback and adapts it into something different, even under influence of others, it's still his creation.
Like I said, even if Mikami didn't create Dante he has more in common with other Mikami characters than he does with other Kamiya characters. It's best to not get into, less this ends up taking half the page again.

Because not all RE characters are made by Mikami. Mikami created original bund (Jill, Chris, Wesker). Sugimura created later characters (Leon, Claire, Ada). Also dunno what games you played but Sugimura was involved into tons of games including Onimusha and Dino Crisis 2.
Resident Evil Ø, 2, Code Veronica, Dead Aim, Onimusha 1 & 3, Haunting Ground, and I saw a few of his TV works, like Lupin, and one episode of Persia. Most of the other stuff's too old and hard to find so believe me, it's not from lack trying. Anyway, I've seen what each person has done and so I see what they bring to the table. Mikami most definitely had an impact on what we know to be DMC1 and it's clear in his other works and the works of the other people involved.

What makes me wonder, sorry but do you think Kamiya will make theoretical DMC5 alone? I don't think so. He'll be working in team, probably with Itsuno &co. No designer works outside of team on big projects. So of course it be different, but it won't mean Kamiya makes it singlehanded.
No game I've ever played is a one man effort, as far as I know. The point wasn't that, was never that. My favorite DMC is 1 and I've spent a lot of time looking for an experience like it, which no other DMC has ever managed to do, so I've looked through the works of those who were involved in the original Kamiya alone wouldn't recreate the experience I'm looking for. To me it was that balance of action and horror and the characters that make it so much that. Without that it's just more of it's kinda like it on paper but just not quite right.

It was mikami's version that was scrapped which led to initial disagreement, until Capcom executives didn't solved it, and he left RE2 on Kamiya and Sugimura. Thing is Mikami wanted to end RE with RE2, while Kamiya took more film approach which allowed it to continue.
You are telling me that Kamiya, who hates horror, replaced Mikami's version, the father of horror survival?

That's what I remember too, which hardly seems insulting to the franchise. He said the same thing about Okami when it got it's sequel.

Wait so this whole topic about ages old topic? D:
Maybe? They say gamers have short memories but they seem pretty set on how hard it was to work with him back in 2001. As far as I know no one's raised any complaints for any of his other projects. Not Okami, Joe, Bayonetta, or 101, just DMC and it looks like it might not matter if he works well with others now, that stigma seems to be stuck with him in the eyes of many here.

See, I was telling the truth when I said that he said the franchise was like a slutty girl.No, it's his hipocrisy: so DMC is a slut, but he wants to touch it slutty body again? Not very consistent , the guy!
Kamiya IS a difficult guy and his boss can't handle him.That's granted! But since the very beginning I explained I'm more fond of Itsuno's direction and characters, instead of Kamiya's.I've nothing against his work, but I just don't want him to touch DMC once again, no matter how good people think he is.
Umm, no. That's not what he said. He never said it was a 'slut.' That's like someone telling me they took their car to the shop and me repeating it to others by saying 'he said he was getting rid of that piece of crap, and that's a direct quote.' The words that were actually used make the difference.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Isn't Kamiya busy working on "How-To-Train-Your-Dragon DMC Edition?"...or Dragons May Cry
That's also a Microsoft project so according to P* they are always having them produce work fast. I'm surprised that they didn't have anything for E3. Maybe they'll have something for TGS. Who knows what goes on inside a studio that would allow a person to work on multiple titles but it's happened before.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You're kidding me. You see no similarities between REHD and DMC1? Tell me you're only talking about the gameplay. The music, the fixed angles, the kinda basicly the same layout of castle/mansion, then you leave for a foresty area, lots of graves, come back to castle/mansion, discover underground passage to final boss, kill boss but not really and finish off with the boss coming back for a last confrontation and someone throwing you a weapon to finally kill off said boss followed by making flying escape while the place you just spent the entire game on explodes, not to mention that script quality and overall silly dialogue and you say they have nothing similar? Sorry, mate, but you've lost me.
Both using largely different architecture and both using different concepts. Layout is also differ, with DMC1 using much more often round rooms, so unless you mean they both not modern building I don't see much similarities. As for returning boss. Sorry it was used far to often to be RE trope. Along MGS used it like once per most bosses

Besides Tyrant didn't really similar to Mundus. Even environment completely different. In RE you fight him on roof, in DMC underground. And one more thing: Mundus last form, is much more in common with Birkin than tyrant. Dissolving mass of flesh that attempts to squash you. And Birkin appears in RE2, which was directed by Kamiya

Also in DMC1 it's not underground passage to the boss. It's reversed castle like it was in Castlevania. As for script, yeah DMC1 had pretty cheesy and simple script, but even than it's not on pair with primitivism of RE1. Yeah DMC1 had "filling soul with light", but it's not same as with "ho ho ho you almost became Jill Sandwich." Also I can't believe you didn't noticed they dropped pre-rendered background from RE in DMC

That's a rather unfair way of refusing him the credit he is do. That's very much saying he didn't have a single thing to do with development even though his work is evident all over the place.
Not saying he's uninvolved. But in development process, he was more of a third party, considering whole thing was written by 2 completely different people.

Ugg. I hate google translate.
In short, he describes why Dante called Dante and how he should be in terms of his character, attitude, etc.

Like I said, even if Mikami didn't create Dante he has more in common with other Mikami characters than he does with other Kamiya characters. It's best to not get into, less this ends up taking half the page again.
I not gonna debate it to death, despite it#s not necessary true. When I look at most famous Mikami characters like Chris, Jill or even his later ones like Sebastian, none of them followed with concept of "cool guy kicking ass". Even his Leon incarnation was much more broody down to earth. So I dunno about it.
Resident Evil Ø, 2, Code Veronica, Dead Aim, Onimusha 1 & 3, Haunting Ground, and I saw a few of his TV works, like Lupin, and one episode of Persia. Most of the other stuff's too old and hard to find so believe me, it's not from lack trying. Anyway, I've seen what each person has done and so I see what they bring to the table. Mikami most definitely had an impact on what we know to be DMC1 and it's clear in his other works and the works of the other people involved.
No offence, but from sound of it, you basically give all credit to Mikami, while he wasn't director or writer for the sake of it.

No game I've ever played is a one man effort, as far as I know. The point wasn't that, was never that. My favorite DMC is 1 and I've spent a lot of time looking for an experience like it, which no other DMC has ever managed to do, so I've looked through the works of those who were involved in the original Kamiya alone wouldn't recreate the experience I'm looking for. To me it was that balance of action and horror and the characters that make it so much that. Without that it's just more of it's kinda like it on paper but just not quite right..
You can't recreate anything 100%. There always be differences. You can't enter twice in same river

You are telling me that Kamiya, who hates horror, replaced Mikami's version, the father of horror survival?
http://residentevil.wikia.com/Resident_Evil_2/development Funny but this tells completely different story. Also I rather believe that fact that original build, that was much more realistic was done rather by Mikami than by Kamiya. Thing is that you got it backwards. Original build was less action oriented than final one. Because Kamiya wanted to add blockbuster feeling to it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Both using largely different architecture and both using different concepts. Layout is also differ, with DMC1 using much more often round rooms, so unless you mean they both not modern building I don't see much similarities. As for returning boss. Sorry it was used far to often to be RE trope. Along MGS used it like once per most bosses
Well, yeah, one's a supernatural horror setting and the other a zombie b-movie. The architecture was of Kamiya's part, based on the works of Spanish architect Antonio Gaudi. The style is called Art Nouveau.

Besides Tyrant didn't really similar to Mundus. Even environment completely different. In RE you fight him on roof, in DMC underground. And one more thing: Mundus last form, is much more in common with Birkin than tyrant. Dissolving mass of flesh that attempts to squash you. And Birkin appears in RE2, which was directed by Kamiya

Also in DMC1 it's not underground passage to the boss. It's reversed castle like it was in Castlevania.
Are you telling me that all the things they have in common, the setting about to explode, the fact that you are running to flee from both places which are about to explode with a clock on screen timing down only to have you fight the final boss again after which you get a power boost in the form of a bazooka/Trish's power, and all the other parallels that I listed they have are not there because neither the castle nor the final boss look alike? Because one is on a helicopter pad and the other isn't?

Also I can't believe you didn't noticed they dropped pre-rendered background from RE in DMC
Of Course I knew that. Why is that relevant, though? That hardly makes the things they have in common suddenly go away nor the fixed angles in DMC1.

Not saying he's uninvolved. But in development process, he was more of a third party, considering whole thing was written by 2 completely different people.
Well, first, you said you didn't give him any credit as a game designer. Second, there is so much of Mikami in DMC1 I'm baffle that someone wouldn't see it.

Go into secluded place, be it island, mansion, castle, or other place one cannot escape from, find creatures, fight creature, explore place and back track to collect items one couldn't before but now has access to, fight boss, flee because location is about to explode, fight boss again and kill it off finally because one got the weapon to finish his off, and flee explosion on vehicle. That is the plot to so many Mikami games it's a staple. RE1,2, 4, Dino Crisis, and DMC, and I'm sure one or two others I've not played before.

In short, he describes why Dante called Dante and how he should be in terms of his character, attitude, etc.
Oh, I'm going to read it. I was just saying how I hate google translate. I read it years ago, I used babelfish at the time and hated it just as much, and remember a lot of it but it's been awhile.

When I look at most famous Mikami characters like Chris, Jill or even his later ones like Sebastian, none of them followed with concept of "cool guy kicking ass". Even his Leon incarnation was much more broody down to earth. So I dunno about it.
Yeah, but those are not his only characters. Sam, Vanessa, and Leon are all pretty action oriented, Garcia seems pretty Suda51 but he has a few parallels with Dante I would credit to Mikami, and Gene, gay as he is, isn't that down to earth. Besides, Leon is not broody. That would imply that he was altogether never smiling. The guy cracks jokes and for the most part is fairly driven. Cool he is not because that wasn't the descriptive property he was based on, like Dante was.

No offence, but from sound of it, you basically give all credit to Mikami, while he wasn't director or writer for the sake of it.
That's a bit funny because on my end it sounds like you don't want to give any of the credit to the guy for anything he did and whatever evidence I present that seems pretty obvious to me and others you dismiss fairly quickly.

You can't recreate anything 100%. There always be differences. You can't enter twice in same river
Yeah, you can. Sequels that both recreate the experience of the original and improve on it are made all the time. Uncharted 1 & 2, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Batman games, CoD games, and so on. DMC seems to be the only franchise where the game just looses most of what made it what it was. They wouldn't even keep the same voice actor.

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Resident_Evil_2/development
Funny but this tells completely different story. Also I rather believe that fact that original build, that was much more realistic was done rather by Mikami than by Kamiya. Thing is that you got it backwards. Original build was less action oriented than final one. Because Kamiya wanted to add blockbuster feeling to it.
Actually it says that the plot revisions were made by Mikami as well as the other's involved, so the original build had just as much of Mikami's presence as did the final build. It doesn't tell that much of a different story.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Are you telling me that all the things they have in common, the setting about to explode, the fact that you are running to flee from both places which are about to explode with a clock on screen timing down only to have you fight the final boss again after which you get a power boost in the form of a bazooka/Trish's power, and all the other parallels that I listed they have are not there because neither the castle nor the final boss look alike? Because one is on a helicopter pad and the other isn't?
And now analyse final fight. Small long tunnel with giant mass crippling through it? Yep. It's same as final boss of RE2, another game directed by Kamiya. Not mikami. Also, danger to be squished by this mass, is same as well in RE2 and in DMC1.

Well, first, you said you didn't give him any credit as a game designer. Second, there is so much of Mikami in DMC1 I'm baffle that someone wouldn't see it.
Because he didn't worked as designer for this games. Simple as that.
Go into secluded place, be it island, mansion, castle, or other place one cannot escape from, find creatures, fight creature, explore place and back track to collect items one couldn't before but now has access to, fight boss, flee because location is about to explode, fight boss again and kill it off finally because one got the weapon to finish his off, and flee explosion on vehicle. That is the plot to so many Mikami games it's a staple. RE1,2, 4, Dino Crisis, and DMC, and I'm sure one or two others I've not played before.
As well as it's plot of Onimusha, Chaos Legion, Rygar and dozen of other games Mikami had nothing to do with. Actually Onimusha 1 had more in common with RE than DMC. Except it was Inafune's game.
Yeah, but those are not his only characters. Sam, Vanessa, and Leon are all pretty action oriented, Garcia seems pretty Suda51 but he has a few parallels with Dante I would credit to Mikami, and Gene, gay as he is, isn't that down to earth. Besides, Leon is not broody. That would imply that he was altogether never smiling. The guy cracks jokes and for the most part is fairly driven. Cool he is not because that wasn't the descriptive property he was based on, like Dante was.
I think Sam and Garcia is only one 2 who remotely remind Dante, but than again considering Suda51 made Travis who has even more n common with Mikami, I'm not sure how many credit Mikami takes there. If you compare Leon in RE2 and 4, he's much more down to earth and realistic than in RE2. Can't say much about Vanessa, haven't played this game. Yet Regina is basically Jill based and honestly, its more characters that are not like Dante that the ones who are like him in Mikami's
That's a bit funny because on my end it sounds like you don't want to give any of the credit to the guy for anything he did and whatever evidence I present that seems pretty obvious to me and others you dismiss fairly quickly.
Because by this logic you can dismiss Itsuno as somebody important to DMC since his producer was Tanaka in DMC3 and Kobayashi in DMC4. You know that if Kamiya is listed as DMC's creator literally everywhere including Capcom themselves you can't write him off, just because Mikami was in team.

Yeah, you can. Sequels that both recreate the experience of the original and improve on it are made all the time. Uncharted 1 & 2, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Batman games, CoD games, and so on. DMC seems to be the only franchise where the game just looses most of what made it what it was. They wouldn't even keep the same voice actor..
Most of this debatable. Many would say CoD hasn't improved since ages. Many prefer AA over any other Arkham game. Uncharted 3 was hated by fans of U2. All franchises changes. None remained same it was. (well except for maybe CoD and AC that probably can be cloners until eternity).

Actually it says that the plot revisions were made by Mikami as well as the other's involved, so the original build had just as much of Mikami's presence as did the final build. It doesn't tell that much of a different story.
Well this article states otherwise. Mikami basically stepped down and checked on plot only once per month, since it didn't went route he wanted.

berto

I Saw the Devil
And now analyse final fight. Small long tunnel with giant mass crippling through it? Yep. It's same as final boss of RE2, another game directed by Kamiya. Not mikami. Also, danger to be squished by this mass, is same as well in RE2 and in DMC1.
Yeah, and in how many Kamiya games does this happen? 2, both with Mikami's name on them. It doesn't happen in Okami, Bayo, 101, or any other Kamiya game, exept those with Mikami's name.

Because he didn't worked as designer for this games. Simple as that
Apparently not. I could show anyone else gameplay videos of REHD and DMC1 and they'd see it right away but here...

As well as it's plot of Onimusha, Chaos Legion, Rygar and dozen of other games Mikami had nothing to do with. Actually Onimusha 1 had more in common with RE than DMC. Except it was Inafune's game.
Wait, what? first off, Mikami was involved in Onimusha, Chaos Legion did not follow the formula I mentioned, and I had to look up Rygar but that didn't either, though I see some similarities to DMC1, but not the outlined set up.

Those game did not follow the formula at all. Yeah, have similarities but what was the layout? Go to Secluded place, lot's of back tracking, open new areas that you couldn't enter before, Fight final boss, flee via the route you came in with a clock counting down, get stopped from making escape by final boss, fight final boss again, receive new weapon/power up to finish boss off permanently, escape explosion on vehicle. I did not see any of that on Chaos Legion and Rygar only had him flee the explosion, none of the rest was there to be seen. I see the resemblances but that layout is not.

I think Sam and Garcia is only one 2 who remotely remind Dante, but than again considering Suda51 made Travis who has even more n common with Mikami, I'm not sure how many credit Mikami takes there. If you compare Leon in RE2 and 4, he's much more down to earth and realistic than in RE2. Can't say much about Vanessa, haven't played this game. Yet Regina is basically Jill based and honestly, its more characters that are not like Dante that the ones who are like him in Mikami's
I think you're looking at a list of traits rather than how they are written. You are saying that because there are no other Dantes they don't share anything in common. It's in the way they talk, in the way they act, in the dialogue. Just because Bayonetta says 'Let's Rock, Baby' doesn't mean she's like Dante because she's nothing like Dante. She may be like Dante in DMC4 but neither of them is like Dante of DMC1, and he certainly doesn't resemble the cast of Basara, that's 4's Dante, again. Dante belong with those Capcom characters of the turn of the century, the only difference between them and Dante is that Dante was made to be cool.

Because by this logic you can dismiss Itsuno as somebody important to DMC since his producer was Tanaka in DMC3 and Kobayashi in DMC4. You know that if Kamiya is listed as DMC's creator literally everywhere including Capcom themselves you can't write him off, just because Mikami was in team.
My logic is based on what I've seen in the works of the people we are discussing. I look at the other games they've worked on, see what of those games is similar to DMC and that's how I assign what to who, based on their other works. If I see something in DMC I see in other Kamiya games but not in other Kobayashi games I assume that's his doing as opposed to Kobayashi. Simple as that. If I see a stinger move in Dragon's Dogma I assume that's Itsuno's doing.

Most of this debatable. Many would say CoD hasn't improved since ages. Many prefer AA over any other Arkham game. Uncharted 3 was hated by fans of U2. All franchises changes. None remained same it was. (well except for maybe CoD and AC that probably can be cloners until eternity).
CoD might not improve but it offers the experience people look for in that game franchise. I didn't like Un3, either, but even Golden Abyss offered a good Uncharted experience and it wasn't even made by the same people. Bayonetta 2 is a great example of sequels offering more of the same. There are very few titles like DMC where no sequel feels like the original. New face every game, new voice actor almost every time, no re occurring elements, and a change of tone on almost every iteration. DMC3 & 4 have the most in common with each other and even they are dramatically different from one another.

Well this article states otherwise. Mikami basically stepped down and checked on plot only once per month, since it didn't went route he wanted.
Yeah, he stepped down before the redesign and then three months before release Mikami scrapped the build. That whole part about him supervising and overseeing once a month was regarding the original build, I'll just call it 1.5. After that :
As Okamoto did not want to simply enforce the new direction, he had Sugimura discuss the plot revisions with Mikami and the development staff.

Top Bottom