• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

increase of spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
I think there has been a increase of spammers and some admins and mods havent been online to ban these members , so im saying if there could be more mods to control these spammers abd they could be special mods called " Spam Mod " and can only ban spammers

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
If not the idea above then I think we might need a new mod. This shoudl help control them.
If not then a better security feature might be useful.

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Couldn't we have it that only people with say 10 or more posts can make a thread? That could cut down all the threads being made...

VeNGeD;162874 said:
Couldn't we have it that only people with say 10 or more posts can make a thread? That could cut down all the threads being made...

that is a good idea and i suggest that you put a post limit for sigs.

Pantera Queen

VeNGeD;162874 said:

Good idea. I came in noticing all this spam. I'm like what's up?!

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
I think a new mod at this rate is looking like a good idea, I mean, the bots seem to slip in when they're all offline, and we've got loads of the regular members who are online who see the spammers in the act, and can do nothing about it.

These spammers just seem to be coming in with more frequency, the mods are offline when they do come online, and the forums get spammed to hell with advertising threads, disrupting any conversation we're trying to have and just generally ruining the experience, I'm not saying the mods now aren't doing a decent job when they're online, but the thing is, when they're offline, things go to hell, and that spammer who has a thread in every forum still has yet to be banned.

One Winged Angel

Legendary Dragoon
o_O I've just come online after a week of being off and I see spam in every forum -___-'
A few months ago the amount of spam bots here was pretty bad, until the admins spent a few hours cleaning them up.

It's a good idea to have either another mod or Spam bot mods, because not everyone staff member has free time to come online or stay online really late (like I do XD) and start cleaning the mess that these bastard spam bots are making, you know. Yeah, it's not the staffs fault that they have busy lives and now what, but that just how things go *sigh*

-B.(o).C-®

涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 SOS団
OK, this is the problem:

The way to put spam to a grinding halt is to have small army of moderators.
With on four staff members it is very understandable that we have this small level of spam.
The people that do the job have life's and actual jobs they're paid for doing.

No matter how bad it sounds moderation of a forum is a distant second.
Most of the younger population of this forum spend more time on here because they have less to do.
The simple, but stupid solution would be to make them moderators... But they lack the better judgment of older people have of the time.

So the only options I can think of are the following:

This forum has a nice amount of members, and other forums of this size have way more moderators than this.

The other option is to tell all of the wining member to shut up and suck it up.
The spam isn't killing you or the forum.

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
Another alternative is to find members that can get on more often, and that are mature enough to do this then give them a mod status so that they can do it. But this should be one of the younger ones as BoC said so that the forum is watched by them. I'm rep+'ing the good ideas that I've read so far.

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
So people are with my idea of a new mod to deal only with spammers so the next thing is to see what the admins say and then hopefully chose the new spam mods * crosses fingers and begs* and then finally crack down on the bastards

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
Wickse;162921 said:
So people are with my idea of a new mod to deal only with spammers so the next thing is to see what the admins say and then hopefully chose the new spam mods * crosses fingers and begs* and then finally crack down on the bastards

I agree, but I'm not 100% that you can do that. I'm pretty sure you can set permissions, but I've never used VB before.

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Well neither have i but we can learn , so when the admins see this and say yes or no , we shpuld come up with a list of names , and im saying only like 3 spam mods

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Nice ideas,everyone.Too many spammers lately,and things will be chaotic if something isn't been done to control these spammers.:)

The Da3dra

Master Of War
They should also be from varying time zones so as one will always be online. Like a US mod, a UK mod, etc.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
The Da3dra;162943 said:
They should also be from varying time zones so as one will always be online. Like a US mod, a UK mod, etc.

Good idea.We should make a list of potential candidates that could become spammer and bot mods for various time zones.

One Winged Angel

Legendary Dragoon
It all comes down to Steve, and which "Mature" member(s) to choose to either be a Mod/Spam Bot Mod ^^ and it also depends if that certain member(s) have a lot of spare time that could be used to help clean up after this useless "Spam Bots"

It would probably make things a lot/ little easier for the Admins to clean up the site, when they probably don't have much time, unlike most other members who visit the site almost everyday.

Dark Drakan

Admin
There actually hasnt been an increase in spammers its been the same as always its just because of a decrease in staff activity. Steve and Sharon have been busy with personal things away from the forums, Keaton is also away with personal things going on, ive been away all weekend and Tony has been away since early Feb. Maybe a potential new mod could be appointed if the other staff activity stays low (not saying it will happen) but a possibility for when i cant be here as often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom