• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

increase of spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
here's my edit:
Keaton, you make a good point. There will be an even bigger increase when DMC5 is anounced.

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
and can i just say that this is a thread where members say who they want to be the next mod when and if the time comes so can people stop spamming it ... or it will get closed .....

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Wickse;163528 said:
and can i just say that this is a thread where members say who they want to be the next mod when and if the time comes so can people stop spamming it ... or it will get closed .....

And the purpose in that is?
None of the admins have said that they're looking for new moderators, so it's a waste of time to make suggestions when they're not even seeking someone to fill a position that doesn't exist.

Oh and, touting for a mod position never gets you looked favourably upon in any forum, usually, the more you ask and the more you make it look like you want to be a mod, the chances of them actually picking you when the time comes ends up getting drastically cut down.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
At the moment, having mentioned this in passing to Steve (who, by the way, is stuck into Final Fantasy right now so all chance of having a sensible conversation is currently out of the window :rolleyes:), the staff just want some suggestions of possible candidates. This gives us a chance to sift through the potential on offer - also, if we do not impose a time limit on this, it also means those who are just wanting status and are kissing ass accordingly eventually run out of steam and their true colours come through.

We just want to know the sort of person you guys will happily accept as a mod, should a position become available. As for the number of positions available, that will be considered nearer the time IF and WHEN the subject of moderators becomes a real issue.

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
^I'd like to restate my suggestions, Wickse, Chaos Master, Vauxchen-kun.

Oh and, touting for a mod position never gets you looked favourably upon in any forum, usually, the more you ask and the more you make it look like you want to be a mod, the chances of them actually picking you when the time comes ends up getting drastically cut down.

If you mean Wickse don't dampen the boy's enthusiasm, I think it shows initiative.:lol:

If you mean me, I just made it known that in the event I am considered that I am capable of moderating but I am content serving the forums best interests in a way deemed most appropriate by our staff.

also, if we do not impose a time limit on this, it also means those who are just wanting status and are kissing ass accordingly eventually run out of steam and their true colours come through.

If you mean me, then I'm hurt. Status seeking? Really? On an online game site?

I'm well aware that moderating isn't fun and glamor, it is work, it is time consuming and its a responsibility that should be taken seriously.

Basically the chosen mod will end up dedicating more time and effort into making this place run better, it's work.

I hope everybody understands that moderating isn't exactly fun.

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Angel;163607 said:
it also means those who are just wanting status and are kissing ass accordingly eventually run out of steam and their true colours come through.

We just want to know the sort of person you guys will happily accept as a mod, should a position become available. As for the number of positions available, that will be considered nearer the time IF and WHEN the subject of moderators becomes a real issue.

i agree , only people u really want to help the forum and not seek the glory of becoming a mod sould be considered .... as for angelo credo , i understand that there hasnt been any positions announced but you have to get into a state of mind incase there is and then if u are nominated then u would most likey have a speech to give and then the members choose ...

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
Wickse;163667 said:
i agree , only people u really want to help the forum and not seek the glory of becoming a mod sould be considered .... as for angelo credo , i understand that there hasnt been any positions announced but you have to get into a state of mind incase there is and then if u are nominated then u would most likey have a speech to give and then the members choose ...

^See? Initiative.:lol:

And again, there is no real glory in a mod position.

You clean up the site along with handling peoples problems and complaining. Like being a glorified janitor.:lol:

Whoever opts for a mod position should understand the work and responsibility that comes with the job.

Like Wickse here.^_^ Or Vauxhchen-kun.

Keaton

Premium
Wickse;163667 said:

Lol wut?
At the end of the day the decision is down to the Staff, Angel, Dark Drakan and Steve. Although Members opinions are a massive factor in any decisions made, putting the final decision as part of a vote or speech is not the way things will progress.

This thread exists for this purpose: to see whom the members suggest. Thats all. All names will be fully analyzed and then IF there are opening/s in the staff, the staff (as mentioned) will decide.

What members must remember is that reguardless of how you self-nominate or encourage the 'promotion' of members, the staff take into concideration everyone, even those whom haven't been specifically nominated will be concidered for any potencial postion - we would just like to know who you all would suggest and why.

Self-Promotion isn't something that can rightfully be taken into account really - if you think about it logically ^^

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Keaton;163673 said:
Self-Promotion isn't something that can rightfully be taken into account really - if you think about it logically ^^

self promotion .... well if people are gonna vote for u , u need to be in the members eyes all the time , like the jade goody story aas she is in the papers all the time so people wont forget her ..... and like president obama ( if spelt wrong then im sorry) released so many books ....

Keaton

Premium
^What you don't seem to understand Wickse, is that there is no voting.
This is a thread for nominations, and nominations only for a postion that isn't even in existance yet.

This isn't an election nor a popularity contest - the complete opposite, the staff want members views on who they think would do well if awarded a staff postion - not for people to provide a definitive vote, afterall, its the senior staff whom hold the responsibility of a decision.

I hope I don't have to repeat this again ¬_¬;;

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Keaton;163683 said:
^What you don't seem to understand Wickse, is that there is no voting.
This is a thread for nominations, and nominations only for a postion that isn't even in existance yet.

This isn't an election nor a popularity contest - the complete opposite, the staff want members views on who they think would do well if awarded a staff position - not for people to provide a definitive vote, afterall, its the senior staff whom hold the responsibility of a decision.

I hope I don't have to repeat this again ¬_¬;;

^ i understand that , but im sure the way u got to be a mod was by everyone saying you so surely thats classed as a vote , so members do vote and i again understand that my thread is for nominations and if nominations are happening then there is a position coming up ...

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Angel;163607 said:
At the moment, having mentioned this in passing to Steve (who, by the way, is stuck into Final Fantasy right now so all chance of having a sensible conversation is currently out of the window :rolleyes:), the staff just want some suggestions of possible candidates. This gives us a chance to sift through the potential on offer - also, if we do not impose a time limit on this, it also means those who are just wanting status and are kissing ass accordingly eventually run out of steam and their true colours come through.

~Non Regarded: Firstly, I hope that my suggestion for votes wasn't viewed as a stupid one >_< I was merely trying to give ideas of how to make it simpler. To be honest, I was more confused on what we were actually going with here at the time.

If you want to know the sort of person, I'll personally give you my views. I think the person should at least have some principles/understanding of Moderation, or anything of that background. I think they should be able to get along with other Staff members, and all members respectably. I feel they should help anyone with anything, as much as they can. Things that can't be sorted as easily, well that's understandable if they don't fix those. I think they shouldn't get too carried away with the power, and simply ban or become a pain in the ass themselves.

Potentially someone who has spent a majority of their time, contributing and trying to aid others. If someone has always shown a keen interest in something, works to achieve it; but never thinks they will. They have as much chance of getting it as the next person. As Angelo Credo mentioned, if someone clearly states they want something; even resorting to a not so stylish approach to it, they are likely to make themselves fail. A level head would also be nice. Someone who doesn't lose their temper easily, or lose their cool. As I stated, the recommendations I gave would personally be highly suitable to fit those requirements (To me). All in all, whatever happens, be that people picked or not; best of luck to everyone. I hope and feel the right person will be chosen for the position in the end, and they will work hard to help out.

Just for the record, when I mentioned that it might help to have experience; I didn't exactly mean it would probably be necessary. I'm not saying someone with a Mod background should become one, merely that someone who is mature enough and gets along with other members, would make the cut as good as someone who has experience. My suggestions will stay the same, I feel personally a different time zone may be a better benefit. Whether the case is that Staff have been around to solve things quickly say the majority of the time, doesn't mean there might not be a time where it's 3am, and the place is being attacked with spam and issues.

We'll see what happens, that's just my say.

-B.(o).C-®

涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 SOS団
Wickse;163714 said:
^ i understand that , but im sure the way u got to be a mod was by everyone saying you so surely thats classed as a vote , so members do vote and i again understand that my thread is for nominations and if nominations are happening then there is a position coming up ...
Someone seems a little thirsty for a moderator position.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
^Leave it out, you two.

kagemusha;163620 said:
If you mean me, then I'm hurt. Status seeking? Really? On an online game site?
I am making the point not to single anyone out but because there are genuinely people out there who will do/say anything to get a position of perceieved status and then proceed to do a crappy job one way or another. When we have advertised positions on other forums before people start preening and being overly-helpful in such a fake way that it just wastes time trying to work out who is real and who is acting up. I'm not saying that's what people are doing here, I'm saying it's a very real possibility.

But as you rightly pointed out, the position is pretty much being a forum janitor - plus any new mod position will be HUGELY limited. Very likely there will be no access to the staff discussion area, banning options will be reduced and the ability to access certain areas of the control panel will be greatly limited. Might be worth people reconsidering these points if they were expecting Keaton-like powers...

Ashelia_Crystl

You don't want to know ;)
Just want to say (and i know it might sound rude as i've just come back). But i've had a lot of experiance in VB and as an admin/ moderator, and while i've been gone i now have my new site. :p

Anyways i just want to make a note that you can ban users through the IP adress so the same member can't come back again through a different account and spam you all to hell. :D

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
^Another good candidate, she is an admin on another site already.

It's been awhile since I have seen you online, how have you been? PM me ^_^

Angel;163837 said:
But as you rightly pointed out, the position is pretty much being a forum janitor - plus any new mod position will be HUGELY limited. Very likely there will be no access to the staff discussion area, banning options will be reduced and the ability to access certain areas of the control panel will be greatly limited. Might be worth people reconsidering these points if they were expecting Keaton-like powers...

^I thought so, Its like being a forum janitor and you won't be a full moderator. As a temp mod, its your job to just ban low post count spamers, lock spam threads and maybe help people who are having trouble with their profiles(meaning you could just alter sigs and avatars and edit details, you know small stuff.) so basically you are not handed the moderators sword of power, you get a mop to help clean up the place.:lol:

I'm just glad you know I understand the situation. There isn't a full position available people, just a small, temporary power to help out in small ways.^_^

So for those of you who think me and Wickse are "preening" for some higher status, this is just a small humble position to which we are volunteering our time to help clean up. I could do it because I know the how to use mod tools already and I like to help people with anything they come to me with anyway, Wickse would put allot of effort into being the best he could be so I think he could do this to.

My other suggestions include Forbidden Crystal and Vauxchen-kun for their experience in the area.

Chaos Master has had several people comment on his maturity so I fell confident suggesting him as well.

I have put my two cents in on this matter, It is up to the staff (not a vote, if you want democracy go somewhere else:lol:) to decide who best fits the position IF a position becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom