• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do we deserve a DMC 5 or DmC 2?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
This already got to far and too OT.If you want you can PM me and we solve this in private.

Ah, you're right, we're going more off topic than Rocco Siffredi in a church. And no need to PM, I'll try and solve a couple of misunderstandings I'm seeing in this last post of yours right now real quick and reconcile with you. Ain't trying to drag it further, I just wanna make a couple things clear and end this thing. :smile:

Why do you seem so annoyed about my interpretation being different than yours?

Because I have a very analitical mind, which, putting two and two together came to the conclusion you heard cause I form an opinion based on arguments that I've analyzed and found the most logical (which I believe is something everybody does to form their own opinions). You came to another conclusion and I didn't think your arguments made a lot of sense overall, but hey, that is also still just my opinion and therefore subjective (well, to a degree I think, but that's my scientific education speaking... :tongue:), and I shouldn't have been aggressive about it, you're right. Chiedo perdono. :frown:

What? Don't tell me you never saw someone complaining on how Dante and other behave in that particular game

Whoa whoa whoa, I was referring to your suggestion that Dante yelled "Trish!" to get her to show Lady the way out all the time. The arguments you just made right now, they're not strawman, they're valid, the whole time I was talking about that particualr point you made. I guess I didn't make that clear enough, and once again, I apologize.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
My 8th grade English teacher once explained that she liked teaching English over other subjects because each year some new student would have a different perspective on the books she thought.

For her math had always the same answers, literature did not which is why its harder to fix storytelling than gameplay to me. Gameplay is something tangible, storytelling isn't.

So as much as we feel we deserve a better DMC story, it may not be as easy to get as we think. We just have to hope we can get a new story that appeals to us more than the others.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
So as much as we feel we deserve a better DMC story, it may not be as easy to get as we think. We just have to hope we can get a new story that appeals to us more than the others.
Indeed, and we fans are not a collective mind so that a new story may appeal to some while alienating others. Do Capcom risk it and go all in with a strong narrative, or do they play it safe and try to appease everyone.

Hmm, so many problems to consider when thinking of a sequel.

Veloran

What peaked my interest was that official interview you talk and that apparently subverts everything we knew so far, but that is past now.
I believe it was from a series of interviews from around when DMC4SE was coming out, with Itsuno on the Capcom site. If you can find it, please link them here.

Edit: I don't mean the video interviews, it was something they did on Capcom.jp, in Japanese.

I may also be thinking of something Kamiya tweeted at some point, honestly I'm not sure.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I remember Kamiya said saying they were not lovers but more than , while 3, 1,4,2 artbook says they are friends and she is his aibou. That's the answer: she is aibou.
Similar to Ichigo and Rukia: Kubo describes them as more than lovers because she was his aibou too.
Nothing than I didn't know yet, but thank you for the answer. And yes, there is a symbolic connection: she allowed him revenging his mother, he was her savior, saving her from her destiny as Mundus servant.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
I said I'd post the passage regarding Dante's memory loss a while back.

Goldstein's body merged into the image of Tony's mother on the day she died. Eva had given her life protecting him. The past and present blended into a seamless vision, and Tony was unable to distinguish between them. He heard a familiar voice whisper over the crackling flames.

Hide that name. Blind yourself to it and run away.

After his mother's death, Tony had become obsessed with an old sword left behind by his father. His younger self had deliriously clutched the weapon out of fear and loneliness. And eventually the sword had spoken to him. "And so I hid my name and lived as Tony Redgrave up until now," Tony said aloud. "I deceived them, so that I could gain the power to fight them as equals."

Had the sword really talked to him? Was it a supernatural ploy by the servants of the demon king? Had they toyed with him as a child, until he was ready to play their games? "I did gain the power. I honed my skills and have defeated every demon to cross my path."

It's self imposed amnesia.

Veloran

I said I'd post the passage regarding Dante's memory loss a while back.

Goldstein's body merged into the image of Tony's mother on the day she died. Eva had given her life protecting him. The past and present blended into a seamless vision, and Tony was unable to distinguish between them. He heard a familiar voice whisper over the crackling flames.

Hide that name. Blind yourself to it and run away.

After his mother's death, Tony had become obsessed with an old sword left behind by his father. His younger self had deliriously clutched the weapon out of fear and loneliness. And eventually the sword had spoken to him. "And so I hid my name and lived as Tony Redgrave up until now," Tony said aloud. "I deceived them, so that I could gain the power to fight them as equals."

Had the sword really talked to him? Was it a supernatural ploy by the servants of the demon king? Had they toyed with him as a child, until he was ready to play their games? "I did gain the power. I honed my skills and have defeated every demon to cross my path."

It's self imposed amnesia.
That doesn't sound like amnesia, self imposed or not. It's more like he was deliberately hiding. I linked a passage previously where he was specifically thinking about how he chose the life as a mercenary in order to become stronger because of his mother's murder.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
That doesn't sound like amnesia, self imposed or not. It's more like he was deliberately hiding. I linked a passage previously where he was specifically thinking about how he chose the life as a mercenary in order to become stronger because of his mother's murder.

I agree.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
@Veloran

So, I’ve only just been made aware of the comprehensive list of responses and rebuttals you made to many of my points. I don’t know why I didn’t receive any kind of alert via my profile, but that may or may not be a sign that I need to simply drop this verbal gladiator match of ours and move on, for both our sanity and the length of this already-labyrinthine thread.

I would go back to quote and reference each point thoroughly and individually like I always do, but I’m a lot more pressed for time and am currently in the midst of cobbling together something of a personal analysis of the first Devil May Cry for a future thread, so I’ll try to make this snappy and address your points as generally as possible. If, for your own closure, you wish to continue debating the points we’ve discussed thus far, I invite you to leave any lingering rebuttals in a PM.

To address all matters relating to Hellsing without repeating most of my earlier points yet again, that after evaluating a lot of the questions you seem to pose repeatedly, most of which are renowned facts established and understood by fans, that you may have misinterpreted a number of the series’ most prominent and core themes….which I can’t technically fault you for since, and I can admit this even as a devotee, Hellsing’s delivery of its more intricate themes are not handled in a very concrete or cohesive manner. They’re certainly there, except they’re established in the narrative and delivered by the characters in an oddly-written way…a fault of Kouta Hirano’s writing style that even plagues his later work, and frankly, is present in a lot of askew Japanese writing as whole. I must clearly emphasize that none of my points are to justify or empathize with Alucard’s reasoning as a character AT ALL, merely to give some garnish of an explanation as to what his mental framework might be. Again, if you wish to pursue this topic, I offer the opportunity to continue it via PM, as I never tire of discussing something as dear and nostalgic to me as Hellsing.

To respond to the whole “too-many-cooks-in-the-kitchen” defense for Capcom, I can’t fully empathize with that argument. They are not Shonen Jump—whose serial writers are constantly badgered and manipulated to satisfy the frantic, nightmarish demand of a weekly print run, with their creative intent eaten away as a result—and they aren’t some office of a company branch commissioned to produce light novels. They are a multi-million dollar conglomerate, staffed by writers aided with resources and assistants most smaller companies can only dream of, and have the supervision, rigid company policies, and access to professional consultation from overseas writing talent to deliver what is asked of them. Writing for games is not, and never has been a task hindered by a large number of assistants. Other companies, Japanese ones like Square Enix and SEGA no less, have the ability to produce far more cohesive and less hopelessly-vague writing under the same work environment and structure (which I assure you, is practically universal in Japanese companies, given their conservative impulses to mimic decade-long company practices and never change…so this isn’t some hazard unique to Capcom in the slightest). The only potential hazard a writer at Capcom faces is hindrances in development, and considering the same horrendous writing style is present in EVERY game Capcom has released in the past decade, regardless of the flow of their development, I’m hard-pressed to shower sympathy at the “poor, innocent writing staff bullied and rushed by all those greedy empty suits at Capcom’s shareholder’s office.” That excuse doesn’t work after twelve years of the same abysmal writing quality.

Regarding Trinity of Fates, I was actually warned not to trust the GameFaqs translation by some other people, but that was years ago, and my Japanese is good enough at present to spot any potential errors in grammar or context, the only two areas where Westerners can actually stumble in translation….as such, I have studied the book’s contents, and have a lot to say on the matter in a future thread. The only substantial portion of your claims that were indeed proven true by it were the ones regarding the relation with Vergil’s motives to Eva. This however, along with many other things, does not remedy any of my prior issues with the writing…in fact, it actually raises a whole lot more that I believe are far more damaging to DMC’s lore than I had initially realize. Look out for a thread where I tackle that in full detail, as I have A LOT to say regarding that matter.

On a side note, the remark regarding me being “dense”…actually made me laugh. Don’t trouble yourself with the presumption that I took it as some kind of insult, because I didn’t.

I am, however, very happy that one thing we can certainly agree on is the concept of Dante shifting to a secondary protagonist or side character in future games. I also believe he should be given a proper, closing arc to his character before he assumes the role as mentor or veteran for the rest of the series. One thing that indeed irked me regarding DMC4 was that Dante was replaced with a new character like Nero—not because I had any attachment to Dante. DMC3 did enough damage to render that as a permanent impossibility—but because we never got to see him fully develop. And switching protagonists before the narrative got a proper chance to allow that kind of development is, yet again, another one of Capcom’s bad decisions.

As for the novels, well…they may not be outright denounced by Capcom as non-canon, but given how little they draw from them and how much canon material like later games and the anime contradict with them, I can’t ever hope for them to be canon assets to the series. I like the novels a lot, prefer them incidentally, but clinging to them as reliable material would be intellectually dishonest on my part.

There, you see? That was under two pages and as civil as humanly possible. That’s me on my good behavior.

I understand you probably have many understandable qualms with everything I just said, but again, I urge you to carry them over to a private conversation. My inbox is always open, and although I can’t guarantee the swiftness or punctuality of my replies, you can be guaranteed that I’ll address them at some point.

NOW, onto the topic at hand:

And in a lot of ways, I agree. Can't not to. My point is that there are legit and sensible complaints I've heard people bring up over the years, and there are these uber stretched, spite-deformed ones, which to me are little different than stuff like "DmC Dante is emo cause his hair" or "Nero is emo cause Kyrie".

Exactly. DMC4 is my uncontested favorite of the series, but I will never dispute the mountain of valid and perfectly-justified complaints people have with it as a story and a game.

It’s what complaints specifically that I take issue with, and most of them are just as mundane and trivial as the examples you just gave. It’s very much in the same vein as the reboot: some people were complaining about the perfectly well-aimed complaints at the console version’s inexplicable 30fps lock or the game’s wildly dumbed-down combat system, while a much larger bulk of people complained about Dante “looking too skinny and not looking anime-esque” and “Vergil pronouncing Yamato wrong.”

Even though you’d know that the original DMC games’ butchered the pronunciation just as badly if you had even a fraction of knowledge regarding the language, you shrieking banal culture-less WEEBS.

I also love how people call Nero whiney because he shows anguish over the potential loss of Kyrie, when his emotional tie to her was 1000 times more convincing and well-delivered than Dante’s weepingly-hilarious forced bond with Trish in DMC1.

You can’t sit there and tell me that the echoing shouts of “KYRIE!” even remotely equate to Dante shrieking like dying horse over a woman he literally met hours prior.

Veloran

@WolfOD64

Wolf for some reason I can't start a conversation with you, and I don't know of any other way to send a PM, so I'm just going to put the following entirely in spoilers. If your system works, (And the OP really doesn't want us to continue here) go ahead and PM me with your response.

To address all matters relating to Hellsing without repeating most of my earlier points yet again, that after evaluating a lot of the questions you seem to pose repeatedly, most of which are renowned facts established and understood by fans, that you may have misinterpreted a number of the series’ most prominent and core themes….
None of that is really addressing the points I raised, namely that events within the story and some of Alucard's actions contradict those themes. Though ironically we're both making an argument that the other isn't understanding the material properly.

To respond to the whole “too-many-cooks-in-the-kitchen” defense for Capcom, I can’t fully empathize with that argument. They are not Shonen Jump—whose serial writers are constantly badgered and manipulated to satisfy the frantic, nightmarish demand of a weekly print run, with their creative intent eaten away as a result—and they aren’t some office of a company branch commissioned to produce light novels. They are a multi-million dollar conglomerate, staffed by writers aided with resources and assistants most smaller companies can only dream of, and have the supervision, rigid company policies, and access to professional consultation from overseas writing talent to deliver what is asked of them.
A single writer, even working under constraints, will always have an easier time delivering their ideas than someone that's forced to work under supervision, rigid company policy, and has to write the story in the context of a game rather than a medium which they can actually control, especially in this case where Hirano was also the artist in addition to the writer.

Moreover you seem to be badly informed as to the conditions under which Hellsing was made, because it wasn't written to be released in weekly Shonen Jump, it was produced over the course of eleven years with each chapter releasing in the monthly Young King Ours, during which time it released 89 chapters, which in monthly terms would only be about eight years, meaning that Hirano got over two years more time than would normally have been the case.

In fact, let me quote the editor of the magazine for how Hellsing's production went.

Ohno: I believe the reason is that Shonen Gahosha has a lot of monthly magazines and the artists really put their effort into the fine details, and they have the time to put the effort into the fine details. I feel the reason these manga are popular abroad is they have very strong artistic intricacies that appeal to the readers. They put a lot of time into the titles. For example, "Hellsing" went into just over 10 volumes but it took ten years.

DMC's production and Hellsing's production are not comparable, and by any metric imaginable Hellsing's story was delivered through a better environment and medium than Devil May Cry's.

Regarding Trinity of Fates, I was actually warned not to trust the GameFaqs translation by some other people, but that was years ago, and my Japanese is good enough at present to spot any potential errors in grammar or context, the only two areas where Westerners can actually stumble in translation….as such, I have studied the book’s contents, and have a lot to say on the matter in a future thread.
Your response here is already fairly large, what specifically is wrong with it? Was the translator straight making things up?

This however, along with many other things, does not remedy any of my prior issues with the writing…in fact, it actually raises a whole lot more that I believe are far more damaging to DMC’s lore than I had initially realize. Look out for a thread where I tackle that in full detail, as I have A LOT to say regarding that matter.
Again, here I really do get the feeling that those issues are yours.

As for the novels, well…they may not be outright denounced by Capcom as non-canon, but given how little they draw from them and how much canon material like later games and the anime contradict with them, I can’t ever hope for them to be canon assets to the series. I like the novels a lot, prefer them incidentally, but clinging to them as reliable material would be intellectually dishonest on my part.
I'm not suggesting it's canon in and of itself, merely that the spirit of what was presented in regards to Dante is consistent with their later intentions for his character.

You can’t sit there and tell me that the echoing shouts of “KYRIE!” even remotely equate to Dante shrieking like dying horse over a woman he literally met hours prior.
I think both are fairly justified considering that while Dante hadn't known Trish herself very long, the whole situation with her "dying" was obviously calling back to his mother's death.

WolfOD64

Wolf for some reason I can't start a conversation with you, and I don't know of any other way to send a PM, so I'm just going to put the following entirely in spoilers. If your system works, (And the OP really doesn't want us to continue here) go ahead and PM me with your response.
I'll gladly shoot you a PM when I have some free time. Mine seems to be working fine.

I think both are fairly justified considering that while Dante hadn't known Trish herself very long, the whole situation with her "dying" was obviously calling back to his mother's death.
From what I've observed, people don't compare them based on the justified emotions behind them so much as the "whiny" fashion in which they express them....and they actually find Nero's scenes of anguish cringier than Dante's in DMC1...

....to which, I can only assume they played the first game on muted TV's.

Reign

@WolfOD64

Nah, you guys are alright. A spoiler tag is great also for lengthy posts.

WolfOD64

I actually can't PM you either -- so there might be a setting out there that was either glitched out or you turned off without meaning to.
Okay, so it would seem my Privacy Settings were all locked onto "Followers Only" (Even though I literally don't remember restricting my settings to that), so conversations can be started with me now.

Apologies for any and all inconvenience.

Frazz

General gamer
Didn't want to post a whole thread asking this so I'll ask here: is there any sign of Capcom's fiscal report for this year that could give us an indication of the franchise being alive?

On topic: fans have waited for 9 years for a DMC5 so it's safe to say that, considering there is still hope for it, they deserve it. As for my hopes if it does happen? Make the DMC5 that would have happened had DmC not happened as it would (in my opinion) be an insane idea to take from the NT game as 1) many fans didn't like it and 2) that style of game doesn't play to the strengths of Itsuno and his team.

Do I think DMC5 will happen? I would say that if Itsuno isn't working on it then it will never exist but I am cautiously hopeful that it is what he is working on.

Top Bottom