• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do we deserve a DMC 5 or DmC 2?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Frazz: I get what you mean when you say "many fans of the original series didn't 'like' it", so in a way incorporating things from DmC wouldn't be a good idea (as such). But I'd also argue that leaving it out (in the sense of not mentioning/referring to it) entirely would in a way be an insult to those who did like or enjoy DmC. It's sort of like ignoring it by not trying to acknowledge its existence. I don't think it's completely crucial that they add elements of DmC to DMC 5, which is a slight contradiction to what I'm saying, but I would still really like to get some acknowledgement of it implemented into future DMC games to truly feel it established as part of the franchise.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It's sort of like ignoring it by not trying to acknowledge its existence.

I don't think you should worry about that. We've already seen they're well willing to acknowledge the reboot in the originals in some way with DMC4SE. Dante has a DmC Dante color palette costume, and its render shows him adopting DmC Dante's pose, and Vergil, as explicitly said by Itsuno himself, in terms of gameplay was designed to be the "definitive rendition" combining elements from his DMC3 and DmC ones. In fact he does have mechanics and a couple moves from his DmC counterpart.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I don't think you should worry about that.

I'm only 'worried' in the sense of not getting a sequel, and future DMC instalments trying to forget about its existence - just like DMC 2 -

I'm glad that 4: SE had those things, but I can see DmC being forgotten about in the future and never truly accepted/established as a DMC game.

I'd like to think that both fans deserve to get something in the future, even if it means adding the smallest of things as a nod back - be it DmC or DMC that gets a sequel.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Bump thread because it isn't a year old yet.

If Capcom's feeling generous, and they decide not to continue with DMC (as it is), then I can see them taking a more grounded approach and creating a retcon prequel in the vein of RE7.

(DeVil May Cry: Infinite)

Edit: But I doubt it. We're better off paying attention to DSIII atm.

(I say this only because it's one of the only 3D extreme action games out there being developed (other than Lost Soul Aside) right now. It's a somewhat expensive genre.)

Last edited:

Judge

If DmC dosen't continue it dosen't matter, because Ninja Theory wanted to make the game a little more darker and I'm sure they would've done more with the ending if they could, but Capcom had to tone down what they originally planned. So Ninja Theory never truely got to realise what they wanted to, until they did Hellblade.

DmC may not continue with new Dante, while that is dissapointing, its not necessarily a bad thing because Ninja Theory can still do more games like DmC, but with more depth in their stories, which I feel DmC missed in some areas.

With DMC4, I find it difficult to believe Capcom are interested in doing DMC5. Its been almost 10 years, I can't see them doing it. However I could be wrong.

Lani

I would love to have both but lets be real,if we get another game it will be DMC 5.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Don't bet your life on it DmC will get a sequel not sure when but it will even if everyone hates the new Dante

Doubt it, I'm pretty sure Capcom is going to play it safe this time, they attempted to do this with RE7 returning back to survival horror for instance which shows that Capcom is listening to the fanbase and at least trying to go with the safest bet as far as reception and sales goes and sadly DmC is NOT the safe bet.

Factor in the fact that DMC4 is still the highest selling entry in the series and the mixed reception of DmC that divided the fanbase and all signs point to Capcom going with DMC5.

Its cool if you like DmC and I wish luck to all the DmC fans out there when it comes to a DmC2 but the fact of reality is that DMC5 is definitely the more likely option between the two there really is not much room for dispute.

KatTheNephilim

Spirit Medium
As a big DmC fan, I'm not sure if a DmC2 will ever be released honestly. I would love for it to happen, but according to this article, Capcom would need to greenlight the project which is a difficult task because DmC wasn't too profitable apparently.
I know but with everything Capcom did a DmC2 wouldn't be hard to believe

RedNether

"Sorry, but I don't lose."
Premium
It would be neat that in the event of AU Dante not returning and a DmC2 not being made, Capcom makes some sort of definitive Dante. incorporating moves from both versions.

RedNether

"Sorry, but I don't lose."
Premium
I would suggest utilizing the pillar method, there's a OG DMC pillar and there's an AU DmC pillar (though that would somewhat make the concept of DmC being a reboot redundant).

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Oh, I totally forgot he had a hand in the decision process. Thing is, I didn't think he went deeper than just consulting them to "modernize" games. I really wish he didn't say that for ALL games in development. I am sure that the idea fits Lost Planet 3, but Lost Planet 2 was better. What wow'ed me about Lost Planet 2 was the "eat hero, move camera into the mouth to become a level." I came away from that wanting to buy the game until the reviews.

Bionic Commando the 3D reboot, or the 2D remake? If reboot, then I understand why they moved to be angry at Inafune. Bionic Commando didn't need modernization. It needed to go back to the series' roots, not westernized. And of course, tone down [a little bit of] the Nazi rethorics.

Devil May Cry didn't need "modernization." All it needed was better graphics, better marketing, better innovations, and just overall better style. DmC: Devil May Cry wasn't a bad game, just needed more polish. I didn't like the younger Dante personally, but I wish the original Dante was the starring role.

Also, Devil Kings was a good game. The problem from a marketing standpoint is that you can't identify the series with any one game. The logo makes you think it's a DMC game, which is a sad mistake on Capcom's part. But the game is similar to the Dynasty Warriors games that were getting popular in Japan, and here. I should know, because I am one of those Dynasty Warriors fans. Capcom didn't and doesn't have the foothold that Dynasty Warriors has, and that's ultimately why it failed. Not because it was "niche."

I've been saying this time and time again: Capcom isn't good at marketing. The only thing they're good at "selling" right now, is Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

HeroOfTime

If you were a developer or even Capcom themselves, would you look back on what happened with this community? For Capcom it's when you hired a developer to make a reimagining of one of your beloved characters? For the developer, it's if you wanted to take on the DMC franchise.

Would you take into consideration, by the previous outrage and direction you chose to direct DmC in, that this community is toxic or beneficial to the gaming community? You've been reimagining your popular franchises for decades and now, just this one time you try to fill a Devil May Cry gap, the unexpected happens.

Your developer, a foreign developer that is a proven fan of your franchise, was attacked based off of the design choice you directed them to do. Why so harshly, this is clearly a reimagining. No one lost their minds when Megaman was reimagined, so why now? Who would ever attempt to make a Devil May Cry game with this type of behavior? Only in house? But you have so many projects lined up that your in house is busy and DMC 5 is apart of the outline, but what use will it do? What would happen if DMC 6 is presented to another developer? Would the community treat them the same? Why must things be this way after so many years with no outcry?

"DMC 2 is last in the series and fans could speculate for the rest of their lives how that ended. They don't deserve a full game. Maybe a DMC collection remaster or a small anime Youtube series." (My verdict)

With all of these taken into careful consideration, do you believe that we deserve a new full fledged sequel to either or?
What no that's not what you should ask you should ask after what they did do they deserve our money they need to show they can make a good game again and prove that we should buy from them we are not entitled but if they don't deliver then we don't pay them thats all

Top Bottom