• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do we deserve a DMC 5 or DmC 2?

Reign

If you were a developer or even Capcom themselves, would you look back on what happened with this community? For Capcom it's when you hired a developer to make a reimagining of one of your beloved characters? For the developer, it's if you wanted to take on the DMC franchise.

Would you take into consideration, by the previous outrage and direction you chose to direct DmC in, that this community is toxic or beneficial to the gaming community? You've been reimagining your popular franchises for decades and now, just this one time you try to fill a Devil May Cry gap, the unexpected happens.

Your developer, a foreign developer that is a proven fan of your franchise, was attacked based off of the design choice you directed them to do. Why so harshly, this is clearly a reimagining. No one lost their minds when Megaman was reimagined, so why now? Who would ever attempt to make a Devil May Cry game with this type of behavior? Only in house? But you have so many projects lined up that your in house is busy and DMC 5 is apart of the outline, but what use will it do? What would happen if DMC 6 is presented to another developer? Would the community treat them the same? Why must things be this way after so many years with no outcry?

"DMC 2 is last in the series and fans could speculate for the rest of their lives how that ended. They don't deserve a full game. Maybe a DMC collection remaster or a small anime Youtube series." (My verdict)

With all of these taken into careful consideration, do you believe that we deserve a new full fledged sequel to either or?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
A small 2D title that takes no risks and nets a profit.

There's no incentive to go all-out with a AAA budget if there aren't enough potential customers involved.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

Yeah, if they can do Lords of Shadow in 2D (sort of... the range on those whips are too long), then this really shouldn't be a issue.

latest

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think your looking at this with the rosiest glasses I've ever seen.

At best Capcom will make another game in the classic series (whether it be a DMC5 or just a pachinko thing IDK) They could always scrapp DMC and try something new but they like making money and DMC has proven to be worth some sales.

Reign

I think your looking at this with the rosiest glasses I've ever seen.

At best Capcom will make another game in the classic series (whether it be a DMC5 or just a pachinko thing IDK) They could always scrapp DMC and try something new but they like making money and DMC has proven to be worth some sales.

So you say "No we don't deserve a new game."

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
If I were Capcom, I'd be smart about this and go with the obvious choice for now. Out of the two, DMC is the most popular and makes the more money by a large margin; especially when its good. I'd be working on how to bring something new to the table without divulging into something unrecognizable to the lore of DMC. Obviously Dante would be the star of the game again, and he'd be his joking, pizza-eating self again. Hell, he doesn't even need actual character development as shown in DMC4. Just have him do cool stuff for the first trailer and no one will bat an eye.

DmC was a gamble to do then, and is a gamble to continue now.

Reign

If I were Capcom, I'd be smart about this and go with the obvious choice for now. Out of the two, DMC is the most popular and makes the more money by a large margin; especially when its good. I'd be working on how to bring something new to the table without divulging into something unrecognizable to the lore of DMC. Obviously Dante would be the star of the game again, and he'd be his joking, pizza-eating self again. Hell, he doesn't even need actual character development as shown in DMC4. Just have him do cool stuff for the first trailer and no one will bat an eye.

DmC was a gamble to do then, and is a gamble to continue now.

I can see it now.

"What happened to his black hair? That's not Dante! He's a weeaboo now!" Ah yes.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So you say "No we don't deserve a new game."
No because I don't know how to answer that question. Capcom will do whatever they think is best for their company. What we deserve may not be something they really think about (not trying to be mean but how do you really answer that?)

At best I just want a new game that has a creative vision they believe in.

Veloran

If I was Capcom I would simply look back and say "Listening to Inafune was a bad idea", and go on with a DMC5.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Do I believe the fanbase deserve another game in the franchise?
Well, let's consider this.
After 4, the fans were clear about what they wanted. Dante in a starring role. Dante with new weapons and combos to change it up a bit. Dante is growing stale, he needs a new 'something'. Bring Vergil back. Tell us wtf happened to Eva and Sparda.

If you absolutely need me to find the quotes for these demands, I will gladly point you in the direction of the forum's archive. It's all there. I remember because I found the irony of the backlash just... overwhelming.

Right.

Tell me that Ninja Theory didn't listen to what the fans wanted.
Tell me Dante wasn't the lead character.
Tell me Dante had the same old weapons and the same stagnant style.
Tell me they completely avoided even mentioning what happened to Eva and Sparda.
Tell me they didn't bring back Vergil.
And I'll tell you what.

Do I believe the fanbase deserve another game?
Hell. No.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
The fans wanted all of those things, but within the originals' universe and mythos.
This was not specifically stated, though. When the idea of Dante with black hair was first raised back in the speculative stage, people were not stoning the idea.

That aside, I stand by what I said.

As legitimate as the fans' backlashes are (because as a fan of the whole series, I can see where they're coming from), it doesn't warrant a peace treaty. Capcom doesn't have to or need to pacify the fanbase simply because they feel entitled to it. That's just my personal opinion. As a writer I would use the multitude of complaints and backlash from a fanbase as toiletpaper. When Tameem flipped the bird at the fanbase, I applauded him because I'd have done the same. To put in all your heart and effort and hours upon hours of working out the kinks, only to have it ripped apart and spat back in your face? Yep. F that.

As a fan, however, of course I am friggin dying for a glimmer of hope or a hint or a slipup or something to appease my love and devotion for this franchise. Of course I want another game. The wait for another one, or even a movie adaptation, is killing me. It's torture. Like OMFW Capcom just leak us something legit already. But that's besides the point and irrelevant to the thread.

Because no. As a fanbase, we (and I'm generalising here, not just specifically targeting members on this forum, but the DMC fanbase as a whole) most certainly do NOT deserve another game in this series.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Do I believe the fanbase deserve another game in the franchise?
Well, let's consider this.
After 4, the fans were clear about what they wanted. Dante in a starring role. Dante with new weapons and combos to change it up a bit. Dante is growing stale, he needs a new 'something'. Bring Vergil back. Tell us wtf happened to Eva and Sparda.

If you absolutely need me to find the quotes for these demands, I will gladly point you in the direction of the forum's archive. It's all there. I remember because I found the irony of the backlash just... overwhelming.

Right.

Tell me that Ninja Theory didn't listen to what the fans wanted.
Tell me Dante wasn't the lead character.
Tell me Dante had the same old weapons and the same stagnant style.
Tell me they completely avoided even mentioning what happened to Eva and Sparda.
Tell me they didn't bring back Vergil.
And I'll tell you what.

Do I believe the fanbase deserve another game?
Hell. No.

The fans wanted all of those things, but within the originals' universe and mythos, and with the combat system they'd been loving ever since the first game (by the way, Dante does have a lot of the old moves from the old games in DmC actually). It's been said before, but the problem was that Capcom chose the lazy route of a reboot, trying to wipe the slate clean, instead of getting their **** together after the troubled development of DMC4 and come up with a worthy sequel.

Fans can't be held accountable for Capcom's "trickery". They wanted Dante in a starring role, but in the old storyline. They wanted Vergil back, but in the old universe. They wanted to know what happened to Sparda, but in the old mythos. They wanted new moves and weapons but within the old combat system. Choosing to give us those features, but out of the context we wanted them in, basically rendering them meaningless, that's on Capcom, not on us. It's only now that more and more fans, literally starving for anything Devil May Cry at this point, are starting to say they'd be happy with either DmC or DMC.

To answer the question, my piece is that yes, we do deserve a new game, whether it is DmC or DMC. I'm gonna get out of the mentality of rivalry between the two universes and speak for both fanbases, as well as for those who like both, and I'm not gonna use moral arguments to respond, but a more "down to earth" one, if you will. We have been shown our support for the franchise with our wallets, paying for whatever special edition, definitive edition, and DLC they came up with, even knowing how toxic such practices have become nowadays, in the hope they would revive it. So get a move on already.

@Dante's Stalker
Sorry for reposting that but I wanted you to see the edits I did.

I'm gonna respond to your reply now.

This was not specifically stated, though.

Well, of course not. It was for granted, that people wanted to see the old saga continue. That people wanted to see the story move forward and the gameplay progress from the basis they had been establishing with each entry, not see a new start out of the blue.

When Tameem flipped the bird at the fanbase, I applauded him because I'd have done the same. To put in all your heart and effort and hours upon hours of working out the kinks, only to have it ripped apart and spat back in your face? Yep. F that.

I'll candidly admit that, although Tameem's behavior was still pretty damn unprofessional and counterproductive, the fans' rage was horribly misdirected, targeting Ninja Theory instead of Capcom, the real responsibles for the existence of a product they didn't want. Although I will say that I feel a lot more for Tameem's team and coworkers than I do for him, cause because of his behavior the whole studio got a bad reputation and now NT has a crapton of haters, which is really unfortunate.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I understand if NT never wanted to do another DMC game because the fanbase was pretty harsh. Granted their were other fanbases that are harsher but still it's the principle of the thing. Even then they did reach out with the community questions that we hosted and we had one of the Vergil's Downfall developers talk to us so I think they would come back to do another one if they and Capcom wanted too.

Capcom might not want too because from a business standpoint DmC didn't meet expectations so DMC5 feels more likely. It might not happen right away because they might have other projects they would want to do.

So NT could work on a new iP for Capcom. They have stated that they have received offers for other reboots but I feel DmC may have soured their desire to do others.

Tameem may have put his foot in his mouth enough times to taste his socks but I never felt like he actively insulted us. His problem was more he was never able to sell you on his fandom and his answers felt too prentitious and/or shallow to inspire confidence in their take.

Judge

Lol. Was amusing. I think it didn't matter what Tameen said or what he did; he was the inevitable target for a anger a lot of people felt about DmC replacting DMC5.

The people who want DMC5 to continue always seem to have all these theories about how DMC5 would feature a continuation of DMC3's story (which was finished in DMC3) as opposed to continuing DMC4's story.

The whole point of DMC4 was for Dante to pass the torch to Nero and allow Nero to become the new hero of the series. DMC5 would have been, or will be another 'freak of the week' steals some object to gain Sparda's power and/or open the Hellgate. Nero and Kyrie, maybe Dante will have to stop them.

DmC2, I can't imagine what they would do with that. I personally don't care either way anymore because DmC's ending was too safe. I wanted Vergil to nearly kill Dante, but then realises what he's doing and retreats into the underworld where hes consumed by demons. DmC was too safe, Dante beats Vergil, end of story.

I'm more interested in what Ninja Theory are doing now, where Hellblade is a story game, but the story is an algery for mental health problems. Which I find interesting.

Then, I'm not opposed to Capcom continuing both games either.

Top Bottom