• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
@WolfOD64 which platform you're playing it on?
PS4.
I hardly ever use the lock-on, but I did assign it to the L3 button. It's quite annoying when I'm in an intense battle and I accidentally press it. :p
You can just not assign it to anything. That's what I did.

Also...Hardcore Mode is appropriately-named. It's literally kicking my ass...but that might be because I still have to buy and unlock all the moves again. :shifty:

Judge

Well, on-topic...I've just started playing DmC: Definitive Edition, and it runs and plays really well...
...and my only complaint so far, ironically enough, is the thing everyone wanted from day one: the Lock-On function.

Not only does it seem pointless in a combat system that was tailored specifically without any kind of lock-on in mind, but it also throws me off when I'm trying to dodge, only to lock-on the enemy instead. I've been playing the classic DMC games and DmC with specific, adjusted mind-sets for each game, and playing DmC with just one dodge button seems....off. Especially when trying to pull of moves like Angel Evade.

I've also noticed that the lighting and saturation effects look a million times better in the Definitive Edition than they do in the Vanilla game. I noticed this particularly in the opening level, and in the Virility factory. I'm not sure what was changed specifically, but it makes the game look fantastic.

It depends on how you use it, but I found lock-on to be pointless for actually locking onto an enemy. Its more useful for seeing the enemy's health. I assigned it to R3, I rarely use it, but if I do its for the enemies health.

It's not useful for upper level play, because lets say your facing multiple enemies. When you press or toggle lock-on, your attacks automatically direct at that one enemy. It dosen't matter if you try to attack an enemy in another direction. It won't work. That gives you a lot of problems for Parrying enemies. It's not useful at all if you need to Parry multiple enemies.

The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment in getting Parrying right, its very difficult to do on Hardcore mode. Does anyone else think they made Parrying too difficult on Hardcore mode now?

Judge

Yeah, leaving the dodge buttons as-is and having it toggle with R3 is ideal for me, as well.

You know... I actually assigned one of the Evade buttons, L2, to Gun Special. So that lets you Charge Shot and Inverse Rainstotm at the same time. So awesome!! I'll see if I can get a video up with it.

I also switched Jump and Launcher with each other, so you can use Charge Shot and High Time at the same time, and its easier to Jump Cancel regualar melee attacks as well as Helm Divide cancels.

Thing is Ninja Theory/Capcom didn't realise how important the guns should be.

The way I've really enjoyed the combat this time round is by having my thumb constantly on Charge Shot while attacking, Parrying, Launching. Pretty much everything I do I'm holding Charge Shot. Its so satisfying that it lets me do that.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i'm all in for that smaller content, could be Dante pre-DmC like DragonMaster said, or some random missions introducing sequel (IF, big IF)..

but about rebooting Nero, i wouldn't dare going there.. like i've said in other thread, don't want to have a dejavu of donte/vino again..

To be honest I dont know if Nero would suffer the Donte treatment mostly because i don't think he was that well-recieved compared to Dante or Vergil as people tend to have more of a mixed reaction.

i think dlc in general does have interesting uses in terms of marketing and demos so giving a few missions here and there allows us to keep DmC alive and its a model that could be used with other properties just to gauge interest.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
To be honest I dont know if Nero would suffer the Donte treatment mostly because i don't think he was that well-recieved compared to Dante or Vergil as people tend to have more of a mixed reaction.

him being part of the original is enough reason for it to happen again, and he does have quite significant amount of fans.. "That's not Nero, that's Noro" lol, but it's pretty funny imagining what kind of names he'll receive..

i think dlc in general does have interesting uses in terms of marketing and demos so giving a few missions here and there allows us to keep DmC alive and its a model that could be used with other properties just to gauge interest.

Gregaman should really read into this, i'm really looking forward for this to happen, it is a nice way of marketing and keeping the title alive.. and knowing the game get good reviews from critics, it needs to stay alive..

Judge

Thanks to PS4's Share button, I can show (with a lot of time consumption, lol), what I actually meant.

This is how I make the most of DmC's combat. I generally always have Charge Shot engaged, and I use Gun Special on a seperate button. That also lets you do a lot in the air, while still having Charge Shot engaged.

I honestly think a lot of the reviewers giving less that 8.5 review scores didn't dig deep in enough to see this is one of the ways you can get more depth out of the combat. The depth is there, its just it wasn't obvious. Its there for the player to find what works best for them. I've never really seen many people using that technique. Which is a shame, the elegance of DmC's combat is using all those options together.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Thanks to PS4's Share button, I can show (with a lot of time consumption, lol), what I actually meant.

This is how I make the most of DmC's combat. I generally always have Charge Shot engaged, and I use Gun Special on a seperate button. That also lets you do a lot in the air, while still having Charge Shot engaged.

I honestly think a lot of the reviewers giving less that 8.5 review scores didn't dig deep in enough to see this is one of the ways you can get more depth out of the combat. The depth is there, its just it wasn't obvious. Its there for the player to find what works best for them. I've never really seen many people using that technique. Which is a shame, the elegance of DmC's combat is using all those options together.
Rocking some stylish moves friend.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I generally always have Charge Shot engaged, and I use Gun Special on a seperate button. That also lets you do a lot in the air, while still having Charge Shot engaged.

Well, that's always been a thing in the series, man. Since the first game. I mean, nothing new under the sun there.

P.S: will you consider doing a combo video?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I think it's great that almost no one is saying that DmCDE is too easy nowadays.

Especially with the GMD difficulty, Turbo, HCM, and the Must Style Mode modifiers in place to get the most out of the game.

I can't even imagine what taking on multiple Drekavacs in this way will end up being like.

Judge

Well, that's always been a thing in the series, man. Since the first game. I mean, nothing new under the sun there.

P.S: will you consider doing a combo video?

Has it? DMC1 has Nightmare Beta, but I haven't seen anyone using that technique. DMC2 dosen't have any form of Charge Shot.

DMC3 has Charge Shot, but I haven't seen it used like that, and you woulnd't be able to launch an enemy into the air using Charge Shot and attack at the same time because of the way High Time is mapped. You also would be limited to whatever style your in with DMC3 and DMC4. You wouldn't be able to Parry and use Charge Shot at the same time.

I actually haven't seen much use for Charge Shot since before DmC to be honest with you.

I might do a combo video eventually yeah.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Judge yeah you're right, DMC2 doesn't have CS.

Anyway, I usually map the shoot button on my shoulder button on the gamepad so yeah I can keep the charge and attack at the same time in DMC3 and 4.

Also, while it's true that you need to have Gunslinger equipped in DMC3, in DMC4 Chrage Shot is independent from Styles, for both E&I and Coyote-A. So other actions aren't penalized.

I'd be curious to see a combo video of yours pal, do it :wink:

Last edited:

Judge

@Judge yeah you're right, DMC2 doesn't have CS.

Anyway, I usually map the shoot button on my shoulder button on the gamepad so yeah I can keep the charge and attack at the same time in DMC3 and 4.

Also, while it's true that you need to have Gunslinger equipped in DMC3, in DMC4 Chrage Shot is independent from Styles, for both E&I and Coyote-A. So other actions aren't penalized.

I'd be curious to see a combo video of yours pal, do it :wink:

I don't see myself as having the same skill as some of the expert players, but as soon as I feel I'm good enough, I'll post it here. :wink:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I don't see myself as having the same skill as some of the expert players, but as soon as I feel I'm good enough, I'll post it here. :wink:

Hahaha I know the feeling, pal, I'm training as well, with DMC4. One day I'll do my own combo video too.

Top Bottom