• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
The combat system alone needs a sequel. It's brilliant but can be improved so much more.....

this, i'll be super disappointed if it won't have any sequel, just at least bring back the combat system to another game, unless they want it to be a legend --it's already a legend to me since imo it's currently the best, would be a shame if one day i have this conversation with my daughter,

me: "hunny, once there was this game--"
daughter : "grow the **** up dad.."

corrnata

Good point, corrnata. Yeah, I guess I have no way of knowing they're not secretly working on DmC 2 with the remainder of their team. All the information available makes this seem unlikely, of course, but it's not impossible.

To be clear, I'm not saying anyone was suggesting DmC 2 is the other thing they're working on, it's just an observation since I'm sure a lot of peoples' minds went there after reading that.

If anything, I think they've learned a lot about animation and character interaction from DmC, and that's bound to leave an impact well into the future. They've also got the same combat designer as in DmC, so I'm highly optimistic.
I have a feeling that DmC will be a game which will have a lots of influence on both art design and game design in the future and the game may never be rewarded.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
Yup, DmC's gonna go down swingin'. :)

To be honest, as much as I love Dante, if I could at least get a game that's as fun, fast-paced and accessible as DmC, I guess I could accept that. Ninja Theory seems to be into the action stuff nowadays, so hopefully they can take what experience and lessons they've got from working on DmC and have some ideas for the future.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I have a feeling that DmC will be a game which will have a lots of influence on both art design and game design in the future and the game may never be rewarded.

Listen I don't want to sound cruel and put down DmC and its achievements but I really don't see anything new and creative that wasn't done before both gameplay and style wise to warrant it being a rather big milestone in gaming.

At the best a few future games might be influenced by its art style. Even then I feel that even DmC's art style is something that exists in other games that came before it especially the concept of dynamic and changing environments.

Plus with the way the game industry has developed now its hard for any new game to come out and make a big impact on the industry and how games are developed.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Listen I don't want to sound cruel and put down DmC and its achievements but I really don't see anything new and creative that wasn't done before both gameplay and style wise to warrant it being a rather big milestone in gaming.

At the best a few future games might be influenced by its art style. Even then I feel that even DmC's art style is something that exists in other games that came before it especially the concept of dynamic and changing environments.

Plus with the way the game industry has developed now its hard for any new game to come out and make a big impact on the industry and how games are developed.
DmC's art direction and aesthetics kicks all kind of ass.Not just the visual look of the place either, but also the way they incorporate the stuff. With the upside down prison comprised from the reflection underwater, to floating news icons and a demonic rave. If there's one thing people can agree on, is that the game is beautiful, creative, and like I said, kicks all kinds of ass in this regard.

Limbo feels like its living, breathing evil entity hell bent on Dante's demise. Tell me another game that does the kind of stuff Limbo does in recent memory? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. This stuff is done in real time too, they don't need to cut for some cutscene or put you on some Uncarted like rail car when you're traversing it. Plus, there's tons of little details scattered about which really helps you getting immersed in this world.

As for the gameplay, it's Devil May Cry. It do what the Devil May Cry do. All part of the same series. DmC is NOT a separate franchise or anything. It did however bring some mechanics to a more natural evolution that was appreciated. The originals didn't do everything right with some of its arbitrary combat mechanic choices.

So yea, it's not something that should be forgotten even if the next game is just a traditional Devil May Cry game. That would just be going a little backwards.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
I wouldn't be someone who calls DmC's art style "mind blowing" or "genre defining" or whatever.

What I would say is that in a time where AAA games with limited creativity (in terms of environments) rule the industry, I'm glad DmC exists. At least it tried to stand out.

Edit: And it does.

Also, I love how the internet is already spreading rumors that DmC DE "bombed miserably". It hasn't even been two weeks, man. Come on.

Last edited:

absolitude

The art isn't something special yes, since art is about taste.. For me it's the closer to realism in gameplay, the combat animation, the physics --the walking; running; jumping; and the combat itself.. that's a breakthrough in the genre..

Lani

Also, I love how the internet is already spreading rumors that DmC DE "bombed miserably". It hasn't even been two weeks, man. Come on.
I'm not surprised as this fanbase can be extremely childish.Just the other day I saw a thread in the DMC4SE section of gamefaqs titled 'Breaking News' and the contents were Dante>Donte:rolleyes: Funny thing was that others against DmC like himself were telling him to grow up and stop beating a dead horse:laugh:

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If they bring some of the DmC stuff into the classic series, I just hope they won't streamline the combat too much. I've always loved how many things you can do in DMC4. I could go on inventing new combos forever.
I could forgive it in DmC because it was a reboot, so it didn't bother me that much. Also, fighting was still fun and entertaining, so...

But I do want a few things DmC did into DMC. After all, even DMC2, which received major backlash too, was taken into account when developing the combat system which brought DMC into the Olympus of hack n slash games.

Last edited:

absolitude

If they bring some of the DmC stuff into the classic series, I just hope they won't streamline the combat too much. I've always loved how many things you can do in DMC4. I could go on inventing new combos forever.
I could forgive it in DmC because it was a reboot, so it didn't bother me that much. Also, fighting was still fun and entertaining, so...

But I do want a few things DmC did into DMC. After all, even DMC2, which received major backlash too, was taken into account when developing the combat system which brought DMC into the Olympus of hack n slash games.

i just gotta ask this, what are the few things in DmC you'd like to see in DMC?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
i just gotta ask this, what are the few things in DmC you'd like to see in DMC?
  • A bridge between cutscenes and gameplay, the way DmC did with its in-game cutscenes
  • A different approach to the story-telling, where the plot and characters are treated as the center-piece of the story, instead of being caricatures existing for the sole sake of creating over-the-top, nonensical bishonen action scenes.
  • A more fallable and imperfect Dante that actually grows powerful over the course of the game, instead of being ultra-powerful from start to finish.
Other than that, DMC was on the right track with 4. The combat was an improvement over the last game, the atmosphere and tone was starting to feel less edgy and forced, and massive hindrances like camera and controls were finally ironed out. The only issues I've ever had with DMC were from a technical or story perspective...everything else was fine the way it was.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
  • A bridge between cutscenes and gameplay, the way DmC did with its in-game cutscenes
  • A different approach to the story-telling, where the plot and characters are treated as the center-piece of the story, instead of being caricatures existing for the sole sake of creating over-the-top, nonensical bishonen action scenes.
  • A more fallable and imperfect Dante that actually grows powerful over the course of the game, instead of being ultra-powerful from start to finish.
Other than that, DMC was on the right track with 4. The combat was an improvement over the last game, the atmosphere and tone was starting to feel less edgy and forced, and massive hindrances like camera and controls were finally ironed out. The only issues I've ever had with DMC were from a technical or story perspective...everything else was fine the way it was.

Reasonable reasoning (pun intended) even though actually, the first point you made I think it was done a little bit better in DMC4, as every single cutscene there uses in game rendering, while DmC went back to using pre rendered sequences in some cases, a la DMC3. Understandable in DMC3 since the tech at that time didn't allow them to do certain things without pre rendering, but in 2012?

absolitude

I'll tell you in private man, cause I already know this is gonna cause a massive argument. I can already see it coming actually (yes, my mask's got an Argument Vision too).

lol, now that's a new kind of predator, "this human want to argue, gotta shoulder blast im"

i could relate to that, but the camera is still a problem for me in 4, and personally i want the physics in DmC to be applied in DMC, like judge said, more natural.. and ermmmm.. you really don't like dmc3 aren't you?

corrnata

I'll tell you in private man, cause I already know this is gonna cause a massive argument. I can already see it coming actually (yes, my mask's got an Argument Vision too).
ohhh I like to know

I want to see both of these for Nero, let Dante be Dante meaning the dude going to act diffrent come DMC5, Infact I think Nero would act a lot like DmC Dante when he can be himself and not have to worry about his girlfriend safety

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
DmC's art direction and aesthetics kicks all kind of ass.Not just the visual look of the place either, but also the way they incorporate the stuff. With the upside down prison comprised from the reflection underwater, to floating news icons and a demonic rave. If there's one thing people can agree on, is that the game is beautiful, creative, and like I said, kicks all kinds of ass in this regard.

Limbo feels like its living, breathing evil entity hell bent on Dante's demise. Tell me another game that does the kind of stuff Limbo does in recent memory? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. This stuff is done in real time too, they don't need to cut for some cutscene or put you on some Uncarted like rail car when you're traversing it. Plus, there's tons of little details scattered about which really helps you getting immersed in this world.

As for the gameplay, it's Devil May Cry. It do what the Devil May Cry do. All part of the same series. DmC is NOT a separate franchise or anything. It did however bring some mechanics to a more natural evolution that was appreciated. The originals didn't do everything right with some of its arbitrary combat mechanic choices.

So yea, it's not something that should be forgotten even if the next game is just a traditional Devil May Cry game. That would just be going a little backwards.

No the aspects of Limbo are scripted when you reach or pass through a certain trigger located in the game world/stage and causes those animations to happen. Its no different than playing a campaign in a shooter and during gameplay with no transition to a cutscene a building is shot down and collapsed. The various metamorphosis in Limbo are basically Event Triggers. DmC isn't the only or first game where the environment has tried to killed the player. Any game that has closing walls, instantiating environmental death traps like rushing lava, spawning pits, and various environmental factors triggered by player interaction and progress is considered the environment trying to kill the player.

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 have both done it quite heavily. MGR and NG3 have both done it. A lot of games have done lethal environments and shifting environments. DmC unlike those games have a different presentation that makes it looks (or seems) different. A lot of games have environmental changes even DMC3 in the PS2 era dabbled a little bit in it when at Mission 19 when platforms flew together to form a staircase and that was done in real time.

DmC arguably has done it the best but its not a new concept to gaming that DmC introduced or invented. Plus a lot of the moments in Limbo's dynamic changing were done in cutscenes as well. In fact, most of Limbo's best moments were in cinematics...well in-game cinematics which is still impressive.

I do admire the attention to detail or the attention to add as much detail as possible. As a game design major I do like analyzing Limbo and seeing how they make that possible within the game world/engine like the black texture on walls that is always moving kinda reminds me of Arkham's face from DMC3 (how does one animate a texture like that its truly impressive although with Arkham's case its on a character model and not an invisible plane with a texture on it).

As for gameplay, being another Devil May Cry game doesn't give it an excuse for not doing anything new or revolutionary in the genre and especially in a series that created and defined the genre. Don't give the it made the series more accessible or streamlined excuse when there has been other games in the genre that has not only done that but found ways to add new mechanics and fresh ideas...from a mechanic and gameplay standpoint (well its pretty much Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 which won an award for being one of the most accessible game to newcomers and hailed as the best hack and slash or spectacle fighters since DMC3)....well there was the pause switch combos which is probably a new feature never before seen in the genre so I guess I can give the game that.

Back to Limbo, it was pretty impressive and a lot of detail and effort was probably put into making it. However, despite it being very impressive its the probably the main reason why the console version of vanilla DmC couldn't run at 60 fps and had some performance issues. However, with current system hardware were bound to see more games utilize the same amount of depth, creativity, and attention to detail like Limbo/DmC and run at a good frame rate and resolution.....or they can just try to make movies or "cinematic experiences" *cough*Order1886*cough*

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Infact I think Nero would act a lot like DmC Dante when he can be himself and not have to worry about his girlfriend safety
It's funny you say that, because one of the reasons I warmed up to DmC Dante so quickly was because of how much he reminded me of Nero. He had the same brash exterior, the same emotional struggles, the same level of blunt, rookie-like inexperience.
I will say, though, that DmC Dante is a LOT less whiney and impulsive than Nero is.

Top Bottom