• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
He wanted the power, but not much reason is directly given to the player as to why. So, it's up to them to interpret the reasons. Like just in the last few pages alone, every view of his character has been pretty wildly different, which in my mind is a serious plus.

Interpretation is fine and dandy, but everything you said, while backed by Foxy's psych-up, is still interpretations drawing on information we don't have.

Not exactly. Even in DMC3 the amulet is described as a gift from his mother, the only thing he has left to remember her by. Additionally, as I said earlier, the manga outright describes his feelings the night Eva was murdered and both his and Dante's lives were destroyed, and Dante even brings up the fact that siding with Demons is tantamount to siding with her killers, something Vergil doesn't exactly take kindly too.

Sure, the amulet was a gift form his mother, but Vergil doesn't care about that - he sees the amulet as the key to getting the Force Edge, it's a means to an end. He hasn't shown any emotional attachment to the jewelry.

And I have the manga too, but I don't remember anything being overtly mentioned or shown about how Vergil felt about that night. It seemed to mostly focus on his fear of being wherever the hell he was. There wasn't actually a lot of speech in there, unless I'm forgetting something.

Not exactly. Vergil refuses to use guns because he doesn't consider them weapons of a "true warrior". Whether that's just a matter of showing physical strength or because of principle, is up to the viewer.

Well, if it's principle, it still has nothing to do with honor.

The difference is, OVergil has no qualms about throwing aside anyone who gets in his way, while NVergil legitimately believes what he was doing was the best thing for everyone. The first's morality is based almost completely around his might makes right philosophy, while NVergil conducted himself up to VD as though he was justified in everything for the sake of the greater good.

See, now that's a sociopath's point of view - you're actually sorta condoning classic Vergil's sociopathy because "Well, people got hurt because might makes right," it's something sociopaths actually believe, that their way is the best way and you get what's coming to you if you don't follow along. Conversely, you're outwardly criticizing mVergil for the exact same thing - that he believes what he's doing is right. Both characters feel their actions are justified, both characters are fine with how they use and sacrifice people for their goal (power, or the right to rule.

You think so? Yamato is capable of cutting through dimensions. Do you really think Kalina Ann would be able to block it if he was legitimately trying to kill Lady?

A "dimension" is slightly different than tangible material like Kalina Ann, Rebellion, or any door that impeded his progress through Temen-ni-gru. If he truly could slash anything he wants, he should not have had as many obstacles as he did inside the tower. This is very much a "gameplay and cutscene not meshing" sorta thing.

Plus, both Dante and Vergil were tired from their fight.

Arkham was a ticking time bomb. In the manga, he makes it very clear that Vergil would be cast aside the second he was no longer useful.

So...? Did Vergil know that? I don't think he did; it'd be pretty stupid to say so. I don't remember seeing him say that out loud in the manga. It would also just end up a slight convenience that killing him after he outlived his usefulness just happened to also prevent baldy from screwing him over.

Plus, is the manga really something to consider as canon, considering how contradictory it is to the game?

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAACH! This is what happens when my browser hasn't updated and I am sick and tired and not thinking to check how the thread has progressed. Sorry @LordOfDarkness :'(

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'd like to point out that I wasn't interpreting Vergil's character in my post. I was listing the actual information the game provides about him.

@TWOxACROSS too late buddy. Now you need to die.

*cast plasma blast*

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
@TWOxACROSS too late buddy. Now you need to die.

*cast plasma blast*

5B1dlmk.gif

Viper

Premium
*reads what is being said about original Vergil*

*sigh*

Doubt anyone will care, but the manga shows Vergil visiting his mother's grave. You can argue it's Dante, but at that point in story, Vergil still has his hair down (he is first seen pulling it back after he finds out Dante is living in that town), panels that follow that part show Dante is in his office in the city, and after we are done with Dante, they show us that Vergil is going through books in what seems like a church (there is Madonna with Jesus), churches and cemeteries are usually next to each other.

That shows that as much as he tries to act tough and emotionless, there is a glimpse of love in Vergil. It's just tough getting much from games for anyone really.

Can't comment on reboot Vergil, he ain't my problem.

*waddles away*

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Okay...just finished the Dante's Campaign on Hardcore Mode (and Nephilim difficulty, since Ninja Theory, in their infinite wisdom, thought it would be a good idea to make the harder difficulty modes unlockable again). My verdict? This is the game as it was meant to be played.

The same way DMC3: Special Edition is regarded as the superior version of the game, this fits the exact same category. Hardcore Mode fixes even the smallest irks I had with the vanilla game---floating Devil Trigger, delayed enemy reactions, exploitable parrying and button-spamming---I didn't fully realize it until almost all the tricks I had employed with Vanilla DmC were NOT working, and even on Nephilim difficulty, the game was actually a challenge. I don't know whether it was Turbo Mode that was making enemies react faster, or if the Hardcore Mode was making them anticipate the repetitive nature of my attacks, but a lot of the enemies were nastier in this game than they were in the original. None of the cake-walk bosses have been fine-tuned to be any harder, as far as I can tell...the final Vergil boss, on the other hand, is a lot faster and merciless in this version of the game. By the time he had awakened his Doppelganger, he was streaking across the screen---taking the air the minute my scrawny ass would even brush the pavement, and having his glowing counterpart slice me to ribbons if I came within an inch of him. I found myself reacting and dodging at such a frantic, mind-numbing, blistering rate...I was actually getting flashbacks to easily the best portion of DMC3: the Vergil Boss battles.

And yes...I have seen the new cutscene, and honestly, it sheds a lot more light on Dante's reaction to Vergil's outright murder of Lilith and her child. One of the issues I took with Dante in the original was that he didn't seem to have much of a reaction to what Vergil did...outside of uttering: "What the f*ck?" Having him question Vergil's decision, and the motive behind it, was much better...and Vergil's calculative response added even more to the foreshadowing to what he would do later.
As for the "ass-pat" ending, I actually thought it was cute...and very characteristic of Dante. He would do something like that, to relieve the stress out of the moment, if nothing else. Reminds me of this scene from Hellsing Ultimate.

But I didn't really get a wave of nostalgia until I equipped the DMC1 Dante Skin. Seeing Dante in the classic Demon Hunter attire that I had grown up with from the PS2 (especially when paired with the flaming Eryx gauntlets, which provoked images of Ifrit) was really something to behold. Ninja Theory was definitely catering to us old-school Devil May Cry fans with that...and I easily prefer it over the wannabe-skater look of the DMC3 Dante Skin.

Highly recommend the game to DmC fans who haven't bought it yet, and yes...to anyone who passed off on the original because it didn't give them enough of a challenge. To those, I enthusiastically encourage you to indulge in the nightmarish masochist ecstasy that was Must-Style Mode.

P.S. Ninja Theory...Itsuno and company perfected all of DMC3's loose ends when making 4...they learned from their past experience. Now that you've worked with DmC, and have gone back to correct past mistakes with Definitive Edition, PLEASE use your experience with crafting DmC's combat system when tailoring the one for Hellblade.

Judge

Hellblade is going to be different from DmC, but from what I've seen it looks incredible. They should hopefully show us some more gameplay and a release date (hopefully) soon with that game.

Even if theres no DmC 2, we can still look forward to Hellblade and DMC4 SE.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
Well what we know for sure is that Hellblade is going to have brutal combat with finishers (which I looove in video games). All skills will be available from the beginning (so no unlockable moves) and the player will have to figure things out themselves. I think they really enjoyed watching the videos of DmC combo players who seemed you really break down the combat to make it do things they didn't expect to see.

If they make a DmC sequel, I hope that they will include everything that was already in the definitive edition, and make son of sparda a difficulty mode that's available from the start.

scionicspectre

Hellblade's looking to be more tactical. Like they mentioned, the battles will tend to feature one to three opponents rather than hordes of enemies, something Devil May Cry is fairly popular for. It's sounding like it might be more tactical than a game like Lords of Shadow where defensive measures are a core part of the gameplay. The entire moveset is available from the beginning and you use one weapon, so it sounds like a more organic, realistic style of combat.

As open as they're being about the development of Hellblade, I don't think we'll get a release date any time soon. Development started fairly recently in 'videogame time', and they're experimenting a lot with new ways of doing things to get an efficient workflow. I wouldn't count on an excessive amount of information to come out simply because there won't be a lot more game to show for a while.

So far as a DmC sequel goes, the only way we'd be getting than any time soon would be if someone other than Ninja Theory took the reigns. The simple fact is that making meaningful iterations on established franchises, rather than pumping out new games like Assassin's Creed (with few meaningful improvements), is going to take longer than before, even with improved tooling.

As much as people like to think another DmC could come out any time soon, no one's started work on it, and the soonest NT could start is in maybe a year or two when Hellblade is ready. Even then, that would take another two or three years even if they picked it up right away. So we're looking at roughly 4-5 years before a DmC sequel is even possible. By that time, who knows what else could have happened in the classic series. I love DmC, but I'm skeptical about the chance of it continuing. I mean, do you know of a successful game series that has a new iteration roughly every six years?

corrnata

As much as people like to think another DmC could come out any time soon, no one's started work on it, and the soonest NT could start is in maybe a year or two when Hellblade is ready. Even then, that would take another two or three years even if they picked it up right away. So we're looking at roughly 4-5 years before a DmC sequel is even possible. By that time, who knows what else could have happened in the classic series. I love DmC, but I'm skeptical about the chance of it continuing. I mean, do you know of a successful game series that has a new iteration roughly every six years?
You forget that hellblade is a team of 15 and many of the other staff are either on disney infinity and something secret more so with DmC DE being done

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
They did say something about canceling attacks in HellBlade so that might be one thing they bring from their experience with DmC. But yea, it's supposed to be more brutal and tactical demanding a bit of discipline, with a high ceiling, aimed towards seasoned players.

scionicspectre

Good point, corrnata. Yeah, I guess I have no way of knowing they're not secretly working on DmC 2 with the remainder of their team. All the information available makes this seem unlikely, of course, but it's not impossible.

To be clear, I'm not saying anyone was suggesting DmC 2 is the other thing they're working on, it's just an observation since I'm sure a lot of peoples' minds went there after reading that.

If anything, I think they've learned a lot about animation and character interaction from DmC, and that's bound to leave an impact well into the future. They've also got the same combat designer as in DmC, so I'm highly optimistic.

Judge

Good point, corrnata. Yeah, I guess I have no way of knowing they're not secretly working on DmC 2 with the remainder of their team. All the information available makes this seem unlikely, of course, but it's not impossible.

To be clear, I'm not saying anyone was suggesting DmC 2 is the other thing they're working on, it's just an observation since I'm sure a lot of peoples' minds went there after reading that.

If anything, I think they've learned a lot about animation and character interaction from DmC, and that's bound to leave an impact well into the future. They've also got the same combat designer as in DmC, so I'm highly optimistic.

I very much doubt they are working on DmC 2. I think what you said is the mostly likely scenario, that they would take years to do another DmC.

Which is why I think its more likely Capcom are preparing DMC5 for after DMC4 comes out.

Although I don't think a DmC sequel would take years. Ninja Theory are very fast developers, as noted by Capcom themselves. DmC spent a lot of time in preproduction, hence why it was 3 or 4 years. Ninja Theory would be a lot faster if they did another one.

8BitHero

Scrub
So I've pretty much converted to Vergil now. Turbo made Vergil just that much more insane. He's fun as hell.I've found some new tech with him too. Overall, the game is awesome. I think Ninja Theory are to be commended for taking on feedback and working on it...even if some of it wasn't addressed.
Come see me live :)

I very much doubt they are working on DmC 2. I think what you said is the mostly likely scenario, that they would take years to do another DmC.

Which is why I think its more likely Capcom are preparing DMC5 for after DMC4 comes out.

Although I don't think a DmC sequel would take years. Ninja Theory are very fast developers, as noted by Capcom themselves. DmC spent a lot of time in preproduction, hence why it was 3 or 4 years. Ninja Theory would be a lot faster if they did another one.
To be honest I don't think it needs a sequel. Just leave it it as a stand alone game. There isn't really anything to go back to.

But with Capcom re-releasing DmC and DMC4, I think it's safe to say they're seeing what response they get for a possible DmC2 or DMC5.

ji-high

Just leave it it as a stand alone game. There isn't really anything to go back to.
Errrr...No? There's just as much to go back to as there is in the old series. A sequel will most likely not happen and that's a true shame as far as i'm concerned. The combat system alone needs a sequel. It's brilliant but can be improved so much more.....

Top Bottom