• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

berto

I Saw the Devil
True, but I would have seen better a DmC Rebellion of that size.
The thing about the real live DmC Rebellion is that the handle might not be a sturdy structure. Looks like it could bend if you swing from under that spiral hole in the handle.

Viper

Premium
And yet, they made a massive Thousandimbs (Guts pre-Dragonslayer sword)
The design of Thousandimbs is a lot simpler than Rebellion, that could have influenced the final decision on design a lot. And I doubt in the end they could use it for more than just throwing it off shoulder onto a target, or maybe some of the stronger ones slicing once horizontally. Rebellion, with it's weight reduced, looks like it could actually be used in battle.

Elijah Guerrero

I remember they made Cloud's Buster sword, Sephiroth's Masamune, The Hidden Blade and a lot others. Wonder if they could make The Void Sword or The Crissaegrim from Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
There was more to Vergil in DMC 3 than what people were made to believe...I can tell you one thing for certain so open your ears and pay attention.

"Vergil was one broken man divided between power and family and wanting to do what was right, but feared failing to do what was necessary! And being the elder twin put a lot of pressure on him to play his part even if it meant acting and being two faced, or a hypocrite and a hypocrite Vergil isn't that's for sure. He's a man of his word and does what he says he will, and being brought up by Demons after the murder of his mother made him grow up quite fast and had to put a cold face so others knew he meant business. And by the looks of it Vergil wasn't having sh*t from no-one, neither human nor demon. Dante was more important to him and Vergil had to push him and force him to get meaner, and more powerful and managed to do so in their meeting above the Tower of Babel... otherwise known as Temeni'gru.

One thing that this Vergil did well was act with conviction and showed everyone who he was and didn't care much for what others thought about him, and though Dante tried to push him and make him see sense, and though he managed to do so, but in his own way he never truly hated Dante...if anything he loved Dante that he was willing to put everything down so that even if he lost and died, that making Dante stronger only would make his revenge more victorious by ending Mundus life and avenging their family, even if it meant being played as a toy soldier.

Vergil in DMC 3 was more honorable than you can imagine and more character driven than the one in DmC, because he showed conviction in his actions and anti-hero he may be...but the true victor in the end wasn't Dante but it was him playing the game of chess with Mundus, allowing himself to be a pawn realising that he was the true King...he was more powerful than Dante because he mastered his Devil form much younger, and was more skilled with a sword to the point where he can create bubbles of energy that collapse into themselves whilst slicing enemies in half.

For goodness sakes he managed to materialize phantom swords a feat that Dante could only dream off...Vergil is a genius for coming up with that, and to parry Dante's bullets with his Katana and fling them back to him like he was toying with Dante, like he was saying "Here take your little toys with you" just makes him seem so much more epic."

This is quite a bit of theory, and while it can sure make him sound great, none of this is actually shown in the game. Vergil is exceedingly rule of cool, as are so many other things in the franchise, but he is incredibly one-dimensional by what is shown to us in the game.

The entirety of original Vergil's character was based around wanting more power because he wasn't strong enough to protect his mother.

There is absolutely no evidence to support this - he wanted power because his dad was powerful, he cares more about his father's legacy than anything to do with their mother. Not once does Vergil or any material ever talk about Eva being a catalyst for Vergil.

This is also why he's so honorable, refusing to use guns, embracing the style and trappings of a warrior, and sparing Dante's life multiple times. He's trying to follow Sparda's example, live up to him as the firstborn son and inherit his mantel, in his own twisted way.

Honor has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to use a certain weapon. None. He doesn't like guns because they're and (to him) unrefined, lacking any way to show physical strength, which is what he's all about.

DmC Vergil is nothing more than an unhinged sociopath with inferiority issues to Dante. He has no honor, no code, no obligation to his family. He tries to play everyone, the Order, Kat, his own brother, and just assumes that they'll go along with his plans to subjugate the Humans and rule the world. He's willing to do absolutely anything to get his way, no matter how underhanded or beneath him it is.

You pretty much described classic Vergil too y'know, although DmC Vergil did it serruptitiously, while the classic does it overtly, and with a bit more desire for his family legacy (Sparda).

Please don't forget that classic Vergil put a lot of people in danger to get what he wanted by raising Temen-ni-gru, and was not above killing anyone who got in his way. He passes up Lady in the library because she isn't fighting back, but earlier he tried to cleave her in two, but Dante stopped him. He killed Arkham after he outlived his usefulness. A lot of that is exceedingly sociopathic; using people for your own gain, casting them aside when they're no longer useful to you, ruining anyone who gets in your way, and having no remorse for putting other people in jeopardy.

In DmC though, the two might as well be strangers. There's no tension, no history, they were induced into amnesia and broken up at a very young age. They have no history, implied or otherwise. Here, Vergil plays the "brains" of the operation, and insists that he needs Dante's help to have any chance of beating Mundus. While Dante fights, Vergil either stays on the sidelines or hacks. Even during the final boss fight, Dante has to save him from Mundus multiple times. They even pound it home it in the DLC - Vergil is inferior to Dante.

For one thing, that's kind of the point. Vergil is all about family, and thinks his own brother will follow him anywhere because not only are they the only two left of their family, they're the only two left of their race. Dante, however, sides with humanity, who he lived among and became to understand the plights of. Vergil even leaves talking to Dante about how he's not human and never will be.

In the end, the two characters are both incredibly sociopathic and selfish. The difference is that classic Vergil has one glimmer of respect in the end by swatting away Dante's hand when he falls, and DmC Vergil plays things so close to the chest that when he finally comes clean everything he did throughout the game takes on a completely different tone. Either way, they're two different beasts, living in two very different universes.

I'd like to spend my 2 cents on this matter.

Yeah, some of the things about classic Vergil are indeed made by fans based on certain phrases or hints given by the game, but the game itself does provide something about Vergil's character, even though in a subtle way, sometimes.

So let's have a look at it, shall we?
Oh, this post contains spoilers, so if some of you hasn't played DMC3 yet, like you @sssensational, don't read it.

So, the game kicks off Vergil's presentation by showing him at the top of Temen Ni Gru, where he is with Arkham. This cutscene basically serves as a means to tell us that Vergil is the total opposite of Dante, he's cold-tempered, he's collected, and he's a man of few words. He likes to go straight to the point and in fact he roughly interrupts Arkham monologue, which it's clearly shown that it's not to his liking. Just look at his expression:

108equs.png

"That's none of my concern."

This further highlights his direct nature.

Also, this sequence has the purpose to show us that he's Dante's opposite even in sword fighting. In fact, while Dante likes to have fun and screw around when fighting, as shown in his prologue cutscene, he doesn't give a damn about that and prefer to make the fight as short as possible. In fact, this looks more like an execution than a fight. It's his style.

15gczl1.png

-----

Later, when Dante reaches the top of the tower, we are shown that while he's a lot more calm and collected than Dante, he still possesses some degree of sense of humor, as he keeps up with Dante's joke about the party before they fight.

"My sincerest apology, brother. I was so eager to see you, I couldn't concentrate on the preparation for the bash."

33lnwbl.png

After the boss battle, there's that famous line about might and strength.

2qx6bnp.png

"Foolishness, Dante. Foolishness. Might controls everything. And without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself."

Now this is the very phrase lots of fans speculated upon. But letting aside those assumptions, from this line we can draw the fact that he values power and stength above everything else, and has no respect for weaklings. Hence why he mocks Dante, telling him that he's not strong enough to protect himself.

Also, when he says "foolishness" (and this is something that most fans seem to miss) he refers to what Dante said previously in response to Vergil's question "Why do you refuse to gain power? The power of our father Sparda?", namely that he "doesn't have a father". That highlights the fact that Vergil wants to resemble his father, which evidently he admires and is an obsession that drove him mad.

-----

Then, the scene when he kills Arkham.

What does this scene tell us about him?

Well, first of all, that he apparently disdains human emotions. In fact, look at what he says:

rs7i8h.png

Pesky fatherly love.

This clearly shows us that he considers human emotions such as fatherly love an obstacle to whatever goal one might have. Emotions are something to avoid. Something that grants failure ("No wonder your attainment of power is incomplete."). And failure is not something he can afford. So...

t012dt.png

"To further your study of the black arts you sacrificed your loving wife. To become a devil as well. So I thought you could be more useful to me. But I was wrong."

This line makes us understand how he felt himself akin to Arkham when he "hired" him as a guide in the tower. He saw in Arkham someone with the same ideals as his, and therefore, someone worth... getting along with, maybe? LOL no. Someone worth using.

That's another character trait we see: he his a loner and a manipulative person. The only reason why he would stay with someone at his side is because that someone is useful, and nothing else.
But when Arkham loses worthness to his eyes, he's just a dead weight.

2ckpp5.png

Also, another subtle detail in this scene highlights another thing about him: he DOES NOT LIKE being reminded he's half human. When Arkham mentions it ("You're an incomplete being as well. Both demon and human blood migle in your veins."), look at the change in his facial expression:

s15h68.gif

He's p!ssed. It's the last straw. And in fact, it's after that line by Arkham that Vergil finally ends his life (or so he thought). So, he has little tolerance for that topic, and it seems to be the one very thing capable of breaking his cold armor, and make anger emerge. Anger, a human emotion. The irony.

-----

Further in the game, we get to fight Arkham. During the battle, Vergil shows up to fight him alongside Dante, and this introduces another aspect of his character and his relationship with Dante.

He decides to set aside their struggle and differences to face the common enemy. He's willing to fight alongside his brother.

15wnvkj.png

But remember what said earlier. He uses people, does not get along with them.
Dante is his brother, yes, but despite this, and his "friendly" attitude towards him in this particular situations (he jokes with him again),

345kcxf.png

to him Dante is still a means to beat Arkham and retrieve the power he feels is rightfully his.

"I've come to retrieve my power. You can't handle it."

In fact, as soon as Arkham is defeated, he doesn't lose time and goes straight after his half of the amulet and Force Edge.

However, as the fight progresses, he does show that his brotherly feelings towards Dante are kind of emerging, to the point of breaking his rule not to use guns and "try Dante's way for once", as he says, and delivering the final blow pronouncing the word they used to say as kids: Jackpot.

23j49s0.png

-----

And we finally get to the grand finale. The final showdown.

At the beginning, we can notice a particular: Vergil initially seeks a peaceful way to end the confrontation. In fact, first and foremost, he just asks Dante to give him his half of the amulet, in a calm tone.

2lvjok0.png

Only when Dante (obviously) refuses, he gets ready for the fight (one hell of a fight, btw).
And once again, he falls victim of anger when Dante tells him that he's never gonna be like Sparda, highlighting how proud Vergil is.

flysrl.png

And when Dante shows him his determination to stop him, as he's driven by his soul, Vergil just sprouts in laughter, as we already said how he keeps human emotions in low regard.

11ag7s5.png

But the laughter quickly vanishes and he's now more determined than ever. From this scene, his signature line:

9uu4a8.png

In the end, he's defeated and he is surprised by that, highlighting how he overestimated himself.

scygxw.png

After Dante delivers the final blow, his pride, which is a strong trait of his personality, is not down and as he refuses to abandon his half of the amulet to Dante.

2lcpjxw.png

However, he also finally shows that, despite everything, he actually does care for his brother, as he spurs Dante to leave, in order not to be stranded in the Netherworld.

156sciw.png

And finally, his last act of pride is to stay in the Demon World, Sparda's former home.

"I'm staying. This place... was our father's home."

Now, I'd like to add that I do not hate Vergil's character in DmC. I used to, back when I first played the game, but not anymore. In fact, I appreciate A LOT the fact that Ninja Theory included some of classic Vergil's traits I explained here in their character, while still giving their own interpretation of him, to differentiate him from the original.
I hope this kind of arguments will cease and that we will all respect each other's opinions about characters (or anything else) without necessarily hating on them.
One can get his point across without devalue other people's thoughts.

And... sorry for any English error :/

Decent write up. Certainly gives him a bit more dimension, and look! That was all on nothing but in-game material. I just have never been able to place him high on my list of "great villains" because his thirst for power is like, his single driving force. The sociopathic nature is interesting and seeing that break around Dante is nice, but not getting to understand the intricacies of why he cares so much about power - there's theory to be sure, but nothing solid, so we have to take everything at face value. At least in DmC, we know that he's such a surreptitious douchenozzle because he thinks he's owed what he wants by virtue of being Nephilim.

I should preface this myself in saying that I don't think that by comparison that DmC Vergil is somehow objectively better by leaps and bounds - he's not really on my list of best villains either; you sorta have to be a fantasy/RPG villain to get on my list. To be quite honest, both Vergils pale massively in comparison to Griffith from Berserk. He's the paragon of using people for ones own gain.

Anyway, back to mid-term studying :'(

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Decent write up. Certainly gives him a bit more dimension, and look! That was all on nothing but in-game material. I just have never been able to place him high on my list of "great villains" because his thirst for power is like, his single driving force. The sociopathic nature is interesting and seeing that break around Dante is nice, but not getting to understand the intricacies of why he cares so much about power - there's theory to be sure, but nothing solid, so we have to take everything at face value.

The game tells us that his search for POWAH! is because he wanna be like his admired father Sparda so bad. The rest is just fan made speculation, which not even I, a big fan of the character, have never taken too much into account. I stick to the canon.

you sorta have to be a fantasy/RPG villain to get on my list.

Ah, this is interesting. I'm curious to know your opinion about Letho from The Witcher 2.

Anyway, back to mid-term studying :'(

Man, I feel ya there.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The game tells us that his search for POWAH! is because he wanna be like his admired father Sparda so bad. The rest is just fan made speculation, which not even I, a big fan of the character, have never taken too much into account. I stick to the canon.

Yeah, it's as deep as we can seem to go, but it seems sorta lackluster; "Dad was powerful, I want that too." Awright...why else? It's rough when things are that simple sometimes, considering the desire and its results are rather complex.

Ah, this is interesting. I'm curious to know your opinion about Letho from The Witcher 2.

I have the Witcher 1 and 2 on my computer, but my rig chugs super hard trying to play the second one, so I haven't been able to continue progress in the first - little ambition to finish when I can't go into the sequel, as it stands. What ambition does exist is for collecting the cards ;)

Then again, I have so many other games to play now. I just got Type-0.

Man, I feel ya there.

SOLIDARITY!

dL6oJnR.gif

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
The thing about the real live DmC Rebellion is that the handle might not be a sturdy structure. Looks like it could bend if you swing from under that spiral hole in the handle.

how is that? it's not like if it were to be made in real life that it would be a separate segment, it'll be more like carving, the real flaw in the handle is that it really won't be usable, the handle would be very very uncomfortable and will hurt your palm and fingers big time, it will give you ---how do you say this in english, the things you got on your fret fingers when you learn guitar for the first time..

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah, it's as deep as we can seem to go, but it seems sorta lackluster; "Dad was powerful, I want that too." Awright...why else? It's rough when things are that simple sometimes, considering the desire and its results are rather complex.

Eh... I guess that's how obsessions work.

I have the Witcher 1 and 2 on my computer, but my rig chugs super hard trying to play the second one

Ah... you have an Xbox? TW2 came out there too.

SOLIDARITY!

dL6oJnR.gif

Wow, you use that gif quite a lot, don't you? LOL

berto

I Saw the Devil
how is that? it's not like if it were to be made in real life that it would be a separate segment, it'll be more like carving, the real flaw in the handle is that it really won't be usable, the handle would be very very uncomfortable and will hurt your palm and fingers big time, it will give you ---how do you say this in english, the things you got on your fret fingers when you learn guitar for the first time..
Calluses.

Anyway. I am talking about what it would be like if were made in real life. The hole is not in the center, it's also a cut in a spiral. Imagine a long piece of metal with a cut to the middle near the bottom, it will bend. In a fantasy setting that's not even something you bat an eyelash at but in a real construction it'll not withstand as much pressure as it would were it just solid.

Top Bottom