• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
Calluses.

Anyway. I am talking about what it would be like if were made in real life. The hole is not in the center, it's also a cut in a spiral. Imagine a long piece of metal with a cut to the middle near the bottom, it will bend. In a fantasy setting that's not even something you bat an eyelash at but in a real construction it'll not withstand as much pressure as it would were it just solid.

hmm.. i need to look at DmC's rebellion pic again..

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Who mentioned Griffith? Because we all know the forum rule "The White Hawk is never to be mentioned in a thread TerrorA is following"

absolitude

Calluses.

Anyway. I am talking about what it would be like if were made in real life. The hole is not in the center, it's also a cut in a spiral. Imagine a long piece of metal with a cut to the middle near the bottom, it will bend. In a fantasy setting that's not even something you bat an eyelash at but in a real construction it'll not withstand as much pressure as it would were it just solid.

148951-large.jpeg

nope, don't see any room for any bending, the design is balanced, the length, width and all..

but the pressure on this one..

url

where the handle is much smaller compared to the blade, but it's made and people say it's wieldable? well i see no reason for DmC's rebellion to not be wieldable, that is if you can withstand the carvings

absolitude

oh and @Vergilius , this is something i designed a long while back, make the handle like that and it may be more usable in real life but then it would not be the exact replica.. and the character's name is vergil, lol, so unoriginal..

red___vergil_by_absolitude_corner-d31fo8j.jpg

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@absolitude

That's phenomenal, actually. I think that this would be the ideal design for my kind of character. Both the sword and the person holding it.

Last edited:

Judge

Who mentioned Griffith? Because we all know the forum rule "The White Hawk is never to be mentioned in a thread TerrorA is following"

TwoXAcross mentioned him. I also think there were some parallels between Guts - Grifith and Dante - Vergil. Yet not nearly as extreme.

DmC in no where near as violent as that manga.

absolitude

Your right. You see that spiral in the center of the handle; I remember very clearly that it was a carved hole not just an indentation. Maybe they changed the design.

yep, there's no hole in that, just some gimmicks, i paid a very close attention to the details in the game since mostly stuffs in DmC is everything i want for designs..

@absolitude

That's phenomenal, actually. I think, that this would be the ideal design for my kind of character. Both the sword and the person holding it.

character for what? devil may cry fiction or whole new story? use it then, i don't mind, that's an old design.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
oh and @Vergilius , this is something i designed a long while back, make the handle like that and it may be more usable in real life but then it would not be the exact replica.. and the character's name is vergil, lol, so unoriginal..

red___vergil_by_absolitude_corner-d31fo8j.jpg
it would be a good look for a reboot nero.

i guess on topic i wouldn't mind seeing more smaller content for DmC like Infamous 2 festival of blood which is a dlc pack that you could play without having the game itself (like a demo) so its a way of keeping interest alive and making some money on the side.

any thoughts?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

i guess on topic i wouldn't mind seeing more smaller content for DmC like Infamous 2 festival of blood which is a dlc pack that you could play without having the game itself (like a demo) so its a way of keeping interest alive and making some money on the side.

any thoughts?

A DLC for DmC?
I've had this idea of having a six or seven mission DLC of Dante's life before the main game where he's just killing demons off the streets.

Veloran

DMC 4's run time is longer.
Evidently different people have different ideas of what constitutes "all cutscenes", because it's alternatively 1 hour 30 minutes, 1 hour 53 minutes,

2 hours 34 minutes,

or even 3 hours 5 minutes.

There is absolutely no evidence to support this - he wanted power because his dad was powerful, he cares more about his father's legacy than anything to do with their mother.
That's the whole point. As you say here:

Awright...why else?
He wanted the power, but not much reason is directly given to the player as to why. So, it's up to them to interpret the reasons. Like just in the last few pages alone, every view of his character has been pretty wildly different, which in my mind is a serious plus.

Not once does Vergil or any material ever talk about Eva being a catalyst for Vergil.
Not exactly. Even in DMC3 the amulet is described as a gift from his mother, the only thing he has left to remember her by. Additionally, as I said earlier, the manga outright describes his feelings the night Eva was murdered and both his and Dante's lives were destroyed, and Dante even brings up the fact that siding with Demons is tantamount to siding with her killers, something Vergil doesn't exactly take kindly too.

Honor has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to use a certain weapon. None. He doesn't like guns because they're and (to him) unrefined, lacking any way to show physical strength, which is what he's all about.
Not exactly. Vergil refuses to use guns because he doesn't consider them weapons of a "true warrior". Whether that's just a matter of showing physical strength or because of principle, is up to the viewer.

You pretty much described classic Vergil too y'know, although DmC Vergil did it serruptitiously, while the classic does it overtly, and with a bit more desire for his family legacy (Sparda).
The difference is, OVergil has no qualms about throwing aside anyone who gets in his way, while NVergil legitimately believes what he was doing was the best thing for everyone. The first's morality is based almost completely around his might makes right philosophy, while NVergil conducted himself up to VD as though he was justified in everything for the sake of the greater good.

He passes up Lady in the library because she isn't fighting back, but earlier he tried to cleave her in two, but Dante stopped him.
You think so? Yamato is capable of cutting through dimensions. Do you really think Kalina Ann would be able to block it if he was legitimately trying to kill Lady?

He killed Arkham after he outlived his usefulness.
Arkham was a ticking time bomb. In the manga, he makes it very clear that Vergil would be cast aside the second he was no longer useful.

Either way, they're two different beasts, living in two very different universes.
I agree completely.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
He wanted the power, but not much reason is directly given to the player as to why. So, it's up to them to interpret the reasons. Like just in the last few pages alone, every view of his character has been pretty wildly different, which in my mind is a serious plus.
I'm sorry, but that has to be the laziest excuse to defend Vergil's utter lack of character motivation that I've ever heard. You're telling me that Dante can get multiple scenes establishing how he regards humans, how he likes to bounce off walls and party like a college fraternity kid...but the writers can't dedicate one line of dialogue to explain why Vergil wants to destroy the world and everyone in it?

The sheer amount of laziness on the part of the writers is astounding, but even moreso are the outlandish assumptions fans will make to substitute for actual facts. Could you imagine if characters were written in such a vague fashion in other mediums of fiction?

Would we give two sh!ts about Marvel's Loki if his reason for turning against the Asgardians was 'left to interpretation'? Would Castlevania's Gabriel's descent into vampirism have even an ounce of narrative weight if his reason for turning evil was 'left to interpretation'? Gone With the Wind's ENDING was 'left to interpretation', because off-page events and endings CAN be left to interpretation.

Crucial personality flaws or hell-bent motivations for characters as important as the main villain CANNOT be left to the imagination: that is the FIRST f^cking rule of writing, one that Bingo Morihashi and the rest of the fanfic-writers over at Capcom's Writing Staff seem to avoid in favor of cringe-worthy dialogue and diabetes-inducing jokes.

Not exactly. Vergil refuses to use guns because he doesn't consider them weapons of a "true warrior". Whether that's just a matter of showing physical strength or because of principle, is up to the viewer.
Again...a hollow excuse for a random assumption for something that is never once uttered, implied, mentioned or confirmed in-game or otherwise. I might as well imply that Dante had a traumatic experience involving olives because of that one time he asked the kid at the barcounter to serve him a pizza without olives.

It's just another vague detail of DMC that lacks ANY kind of real explanation.

You think so? Yamato is capable of cutting through dimensions. Do you really think Kalina Ann would be able to block it if he was legitimately trying to kill Lady?
So, the sharpness of Yamato depends solely on Vergil's "willingness" to kill things?

That's the theory we're going with here? But then, what choice do we have? It's not like the vague-as-all-hell GAME is going to tell us anything. Besides, wouldn't that mean that Rebellion can technically cut through dimensions, too...? After all, Dante uses it to block Vergil's blows all the time...

And I can't even count how many things have blocked Rebellion's edge...and plenty of them weren't on the size or scale of entire dimensions....

This all just boils down to what I said earlier...the complete lack of explanation or details leaves it up to fans to conjure up half-logical facts about the in-game mythos, producing fanfiction-esque pipe dreams about things that were never once implied or hinted at in the games themselves.

absolitude

any thoughts?

i'm all in for that smaller content, could be Dante pre-DmC like DragonMaster said, or some random missions introducing sequel (IF, big IF)..

but about rebooting Nero, i wouldn't dare going there.. like i've said in other thread, don't want to have a dejavu of donte/vino again..

Veloran

how he likes to bounce off walls and party like a college fraternity kid...
Quick question, why do you think he does that?

but the writers can't dedicate one line of dialogue to explain why Vergil wants to destroy the world and everyone in it?
Wait, what? Where did you get that from? Vergil never wanted to destroy the world. In DMC3 his very first scene establishes that he doesn't care one bit about Arkham's plans.

The sheer amount of laziness on the part of the writers is astounding, but even moreso are the outlandish assumptions fans will make to substitute for actual facts. Could you imagine if characters were written in such a vague fashion in other mediums of fiction?
Last time I checked, writers usually get praised for that kind of thing. Characters that are mysterious and with vague histories and motivations are some of the most beloved in the history of cinema and literature. Some that jump to mind are Roy Batty and Rick Deckard of Blade Runner, Patrick Bateman of American Psycho (Most people aren't even sure if anything in that book or movie even happened), and hell do I even need to say that the looming Darth Vader was a way more interesting character before his past as Anakin Skywalker was actually revealed?

Not to mention, that's a particularly valid way to characterize video game characters. The Dark Souls fandom practically exists precisely because almost every character in those games is an enigma with no easily-discernable goals. People extrapolate tons of things about Kirk just because his body is found in a specific place, or determine that the Goddess Fina is in fact extremely manipulative and obsessive based purely on the wording of Lautrec's armor. Compared to stuff like that, determining some of Vergil's character traits from small clues may as well be like reading an open book.

Would we give two sh!ts about Marvel's Loki if his reason for turning against the Asgardians was 'left to interpretation'?
What. Are you sure you picked the right character, here? People argue about Loki's real motivations and the reasoning of his decisions all the damn time. Almost every interesting facet of his character, half the reason he's so popular, is that nobody is entirely sure what he really wants or why.

Would Castlevania's Gabriel's descent into vampirism have even an ounce of narrative weight if his reason for turning evil was 'left to interpretation'?
That's a terrible example. Gabriel's choice to become a vampire, and his actions thereafter, make no sense. His whole characterization after the main game is of someone totally given into despair, who doesn't care about anything in the world. So why become a vampire to save the world from The Forgotten One in Reverie? Moreover, why become an evil overlord himself afterwards? To be honest, from those DLC I got the impression that the writers were simply rushing to try and explain away how Gabriel could become Dracula, and they ended up failing pretty badly.

Crucial personality flaws or hell-bent motivations for characters as important as the main villain CANNOT be left to the imagination:
A. They absolutely can be. Some of the best villains ever are characters that aren't so easily defined.

B. Vergil isn't the main villain. Not once in Devil May Cry has he been the only villain of any game he's appeared in. In DMC1 he's just a lackey of Mundus, and in DMC3 he's played by Arkham.

Again...a hollow excuse for a random assumption for something that is never once uttered, implied, mentioned or confirmed in-game or otherwise.
It's a valid viewpoint. At the very, very least the fact that Vergil makes a distinction between what is and isn't a "true warrior" shows he has some sort of standards by which to judge.

So, the sharpness of Yamato depends solely on Vergil's "willingness" to kill things?

That's the theory we're going with here? But then, what choice do we have? It's not like the vague-as-all-hell GAME is going to tell us anything. Besides, wouldn't that mean that Rebellion can technically cut through dimensions, too...? After all, Dante uses it to block Vergil's blows all the time...

And I can't even count how many things have blocked Rebellion's edge...and plenty of them weren't on the size or scale of entire dimensions....
Rebellion is a Demonic blade that represents Dante's very own power. Kalina Ann is a Human-made rocket launcher.

Is t really so hard to see why Yamato could easily cut through one if forced, and not the other? Vergil doesn't even bother to push when he made contact.

I'm not really sure why you're so dead-set on wanting every little detail shoved in the player's face. It's not necessary for every bit of Vergil's character to exposited in order to glean details about him.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Veloran, @TWOxACROSS, @WolfOD64: Guys, you are not only arguing back and forth with (I'm quite certain) oh so important points of view regarding DMC, but this is concerning DmC's Definitive Edition. The conversation should remain there. You lot are turning the tables around and trying to argue your points across, with back and forth quotations...and boy, does it get tiresome.

Any more from any of you and you get an official warning. Nothing more to add.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Well, on-topic...I've just started playing DmC: Definitive Edition, and it runs and plays really well...
...and my only complaint so far, ironically enough, is the thing everyone wanted from day one: the Lock-On function.

Not only does it seem pointless in a combat system that was tailored specifically without any kind of lock-on in mind, but it also throws me off when I'm trying to dodge, only to lock-on the enemy instead. I've been playing the classic DMC games and DmC with specific, adjusted mind-sets for each game, and playing DmC with just one dodge button seems....off. Especially when trying to pull of moves like Angel Evade.

I've also noticed that the lighting and saturation effects look a million times better in the Definitive Edition than they do in the Vanilla game. I noticed this particularly in the opening level, and in the Virility factory. I'm not sure what was changed specifically, but it makes the game look fantastic.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
I hardly ever use the lock-on, but I did assign it to the L3 button. It's quite annoying when I'm in an intense battle and I accidentally press it. :p

Top Bottom