• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition for Next Gen

scionicspectre

Yeah, we can't let this thread die when the topic is so ripe for speculation and exploration!

Assuming Vergil is playable, do you think he would have something reminiscent his moveset in DMC 3: SE? If so, would he use Gilgamesh for his gauntlets, or would we see a return of Beowulf? So much potential awesome, you guys. T^T

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Okay, so we're not just comparing games from the Devil May Cry series, then? Well, if you take these other games into consideration, I guess what you're saying is that the previous Devil May Cry entries may not have been very good either, if we adjust the figures for market conditions? If we're talking games in general, all of these games have sold poorly, so to say that sales are vitally important so far as judging quality is going a bit too far. Sales are important, but we need to know what we're trying to argue, here. I thought some people were trying to say there's some kind of judgement to be made directly between Devil May Cry 4 and DmC so far as sales go. Maybe I'm just misreading things, but I want to help us settle the argument somewhat rather than talk in circles and insult one another, since that's just not productive.

I suppose, aside from this sales issue, the one thing I have a hard time reconciling or believing is the supposition that people are more interested in DMC than DmC. What kind of information would lead you to a conclusion on either side of the argument? Surely you don't believe that the opinions of hardcore players stated on this forum are wholly representative of public interest. Even if you did, I'd say we're pretty well split here, and my family and friends who aren't big fans tend to like DmC more, so I can't really tell you one way or the other.
''If we're talking games in general, all of these games have sold poorly, so to say that sales are vitally important so far as judging quality is going a bit too far.''

Lol, excuse me, but DMC1 sold great for a new IP. DMC3 sold decently well considering the backlash of DMC2. DMC4 sold phenomenally even though it was considered the second worst DMC. Your point is not valid. Dragon's Dogma was a new IP, hence the low sales but relative popularity among a select group of people.

''I have a hard time reconciling or believing is the supposition that people are more interested in DMC than DmC. ''
Sales. That and DMC fans' response to DmC. Even the response from people who found it to be 'meh' at best. Even the response from people who weren't fans of DMC, but still hated DmC. Even people on the internet in general are predominantly focused on DMC.

It's not hard to understand. If the sales were projected to be much higher, and the sales don't even reach DMC3 levels after DMC2 backlash within the sales deadline (even though the game was westernized and created for as large an audience as possible), then come on, DmC failed. It didn't even sell as well as DMC1, a game from 2001 that was a new IP and therefore wasn't popular. Do I really need to explain *twice* how DmC failed in terms of sales? It does represent how many people liked DmC, how popular it is. How it stands up to DMC.

Like I said, even if not a single DMC fan liked DmC, there's still no reason for it not to sell more than 1.1 million in a month. 35% less sales doesn't even matter in this case. DmC is not a new IP like DMC1 was, it was a new installment in the fairly well-known Devil May Cry franchise. In the end it still only sold 1.7 million, which is still LESS THAN DMC1, which wasn't even multiplat and wasn't popular yet. Are you kidding me?

Capcom expected it to sell two million. That was for a time the lowest amount they wanted. DmC didn't nearly reach that. Just a fact. Capcom believed DMC4 should've sold more than 3 million, it sold almost 3 million. Pretty good. If DMC4 could've sold more than 3 million, a westernized Devil May Cry (DmC) that was created specifically for a *large audience* should've sold at least as much as DMC1.

But yes, please go back to the original topic. This isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Yeah, we can't let this thread die when the topic is so ripe for speculation and exploration!

Assuming Vergil is playable, do you think he would have something reminiscent his moveset in DMC 3: SE? If so, would he use Gilgamesh for his gauntlets, or would we see a return of Beowulf? So much potential awesome, you guys. T^T
would be awesome to see absolutely new and awesome weapons for him. ... *prays for Vergil's campaign with his own bosses*

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Lol
Ttly hyperbole, gaiz!
I'm sorry. I missed the part where I needed to respect a silly fictional character like Bayonetta. Like you have to defend her honor.

I still like Bayonetta as a game. I just find the character pretty dumb, unattractive, and I can't be the only one thinking it's kinda nasty that apparently her hair clothes is from hair on other parts of the body. Yuck.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel

I would guess that Capcom is going to copy his moveset from DMC3 to DMC4. He wouldn't need to use the Beowulf, the Gilgamesh serves just fine, as it has basically the same moves. Besides, they're not going to add integral new content to a game they completed in 2008. If they did that, it would be like a remake rather than a Special Edition.

Although, I suppose it is possible that Daniel Southworth will supply mocap for new moves. His voice in the teaser seems to have been recorded all-new, so if this has Southworth's blessing, it is possible.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

I think he will keep some of his most iconic moves, like Rapid Slash or Judgment Cut. And of course, the always awesome "you won't realize you're sc*ewed until I sheath my sword" thing.

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
I'm sorry. I missed the part where I needed to respect a silly fictional character like Bayonetta. Like you have to defend her honor.

I still like Bayonetta as a game. I just find the character pretty dumb, unattractive, and I can't be the only one thinking it's kinda nasty that apparently her hair clothes is from hair on other parts of the body. Yuck.

Bayonetta > Any of the characters in DmC. Especially Kat who has fish lips and carries around a can of squirrel sprunk. Yuck.

scionicspectre

I would guess that Capcom is going to copy his moveset from DMC3 to DMC4. He wouldn't need to use the Beowulf, the Gilgamesh serves just fine, as it has basically the same moves. Besides, they're not going to add integral new content to a game they completed in 2008. If they did that, it would be like a remake rather than a Special Edition.

Although, I suppose it is possible that Daniel Southworth will supply mocap for new moves. His voice in the teaser seems to have been recorded all-new, so if this has Southworth's blessing, it is possible.

In the spirit of 'they probably wouldn't add integral new content', I'd hazard a guess that the sound is from the remastered HD Collection version, if it's new at all.

However, if you think about it, adding Vergil to DMC 3 as a playable character is a much smaller order than adding him to DMC 4. For one, Vergil never appeared in 4, while in 3 he utilized several weapon combinations as a boss, so there was a lot of code there to begin with to build a playable character from. Even if the code from 3 is fairly portable to 4's engine, I doubt it would be painless.

So, given they'd already be putting in more work than they did on 3, maybe we will get to see something cool, although a new weapon would need a bit of an explanation, so I doubt we'll see much on that front. However, some expansion and elaboration on the Dark Slayer style isn't off the cards.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Bayonetta > Any of the characters in DmC. Especially Kat who has fish lips and carries around a can of squirrel sprunk. Yuck.
Let's not flame, okay? I like DmC's characters no more than you do, and I see your point that this type of comment is the kind of comment *a certain somebody* has made in the past just to annoy people, but this is destructive, and it's not relevant to the topic.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
In the spirit of 'they probably wouldn't add integral new content', I'd hazard a guess that the sound is from the remastered HD Collection version, if it's new at all.

However, if you think about it, adding Vergil to DMC 3 as a playable character is a much smaller order than adding him to DMC 4. For one, Vergil never appeared in 4, while in 3 he utilized several weapon combinations as a boss, so there was a lot of code there to begin with to build a playable character from. Even if the code from 3 is fairly portable to 4's engine, I doubt it would be painless.

So, given they'd already be putting in more work than they did on 3, maybe we will get to see something cool, although a new weapon would need a bit of an explanation, so I doubt we'll see much on that front. However, some expansion and elaboration on the Dark Slayer style isn't off the cards.
I dunno, I don't remember Vergil's intonation being that way in DMC3. If it is remastered, then it certainly sounds really different. Clearer.

I really hope they put back in the old code that showed Nero was supposed to have more weapons and even styles. That would be amazing.

scionicspectre

Yeah- Vergil's probably the most likely one I'd hang out with considering Dante lives in a (likely very smelly) trailer and Kat's basically homeless. Of course, I'm not talking crap on people who live in trailers or don't have a home, I just wouldn't actively seek them out for conversation in the United States.

Then again, does that mean I'd most likely hang out with psychopaths bend on world domination? Wow, I need some time to reflect...

The Final Offer

Hey guys.

DmC failed in sales...

16025093971_6c21ace4c6_n.jpg

But **** that noise!​

Top Bottom