• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Defend It - DmC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
-- our love of the game (along with many other hated titles) itself will most likely always need to be defended against those who would prefer that no one enjoy it at due to their own overly biased, insidious, aggressive, and blatantly cruel behavior towards anyone who would dare speak out against such unspeakable persecution over one's taste.

Everyone being biased doesn't give a person an excuse to act out of line simply because other people like something you don't.
I love how those two paragraphs contradict one another xD

Stepping out of the line doesn't mean voicing negative opinion
neither is telling this opinion to another
neither is sticking to this opinion
neither is pointing obvious problems with (in this case) game
neither is explaining negative consequence of it to other people
Nobody obliged to like what somebody likes and no amount of "defending" will change it.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
While DmC might not need defending (which, btw, is our choice -- we can defend it whether you like it or not) --

-- our love of the game (along with many other hated titles) itself will most likely always need to be defended against those who would prefer that no one enjoy it at due to their own overly biased, insidious, aggressive, and blatantly cruel behavior towards anyone who would dare speak out against such unspeakable persecution over one's taste.

Sure, everyone is biased -- but it's how people act in accordance with that bias (online bullying, physical threats of violence, abandoning your forum thereby leaving the fans out in the cold simply because you don't like one or two games in the series) that makes all the difference.

Everyone being biased doesn't give a person an excuse to act out of line simply because other people like something you don't.

It never has.

It never will.

Jim was talking about people being upset bc other people like the games they disliked and I just KNEW DmC was going to appear on screen. I suppose the game's infamous like that. :)

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Ah guys, I know I'm a bit late in the game (Personal matter, haven't been on as often)

But actually anybody who's seen GamingBrit's original DMC retrospective vid would know, he
actually hates Devil May Cry 4.
Sooo, yeah I don't see how him comparing DMC4 SE and DmC DE is in any way biased.

Anyway everyone's biased, we're all quick to side with anybody who shares our views.

In regards to DmC, I've seen quite a few people quick to start hating on it.

But I've also seen people quick to take any criticism as hating, and they'll turn around and say something similar to one of the original games (Usually it's 3 or 4, least based on what I've seen)
Example: Back when I was new to this site, I pointed out, I thought that DmC should have had a lock on, and that I would have liked moves like Stinger and High Time could be preformed like they were in the original series rather then having two dodge buttons.
I was called out on this and asked why I felt that way. I explained that I thought two dodge buttons weren't really needed, and DmC, again the original release now, was the only game in the series where I've ever had Stinger either hit the wrong target, or go in completely the wrong direction (Doesn't happen often, but it did) and the responses I got?
One said "Wahhhhh I can't do it, it sucks!" and another guy said "Good to know we shouldn't take you seriously". I wasn't even hating, just saying an opinion

What makes DmC more exempt from criticism then the others?

The fact of the matter is, both sides of the argument, have some people who behave absolutely atrocious

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
and doesn't the other videos matches yours :p

But I did and have stated that I don't like listening to people who I believe aren't that into a game as much as I am. I'm all about the game play and seeing and also knowing that some one has put in the time into both series should only be trusted when given an opinion.

speaking of an opinion I respect.

I skimmed that video (because I should be doing work) but it's funny that the guy in it mentions that someone who "reads story" for a job would probably be against DmC's story. Well hey! I'm someone who devoted themselves to the very craft of storytelling, and I can sure as hell tell you that DmC is levels above the classic. Of course, it's by no means the best, but it's certainly better. And also friggin' what? Prefer God of War III over DmC? Are you kidding me...? The installment that crapped on an already crapped on character with cliches like generic hope and then suddenly an apparent suicide we're supposed to see as a meaningful sacrifice...? I believe I've had the misfortune of glancing at a couple of this dude's other videos, and he's too obtuse to actually listen to what people are saying on a legitimate level, and just falls into the fairly obvious bias-ridden rants of a contrarian. His response to Jim Sterling's video on DmC was cringeworthy.

Also - SatchBag is an immensely intelligent person, who looks at games on a level few ever really do. His video on DmC was extremely interesting (as so many of his other videos also are).

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well considering that lot of critics considered some stuff story wise in DmC worse than original (including Angry Joe and Zero Punctuation). And though I don't really care for ZP videos, Angry Joe was in gaming longer than most of us and holds enough credit to judge it imho. So I guess it boils down to matter of preferences no matter who wants to believe otherwise.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
What makes DmC more exempt from criticism then the others?

Victimism.

Since it's massively hated, anything said against it, no matter if it's a calm argument or an observation, or even legit criticism is seen as something strictly related to hatred, and said for the only purpose of bashing for the sake of it. Then its defenders will do the same against the more popular installment(s), to make it even. I mean, how many times have we seen this, in this very forum or anywhere else?

That applies to DmC/DMC just as much as anything else really. TV, movies, comics... you name it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well considering that lot of critics considered some stuff story wise in DmC worse than original (including Angry Joe and Zero Punctuation). And though I don't really care for ZP videos, Angry Joe was in gaming longer than most of us and holds enough credit to judge it imho. So I guess it boils down to matter of preferences no matter who wants to believe otherwise.

Well, Angry Joe is a year older than me, so we've got pretty much the same gaming pedigree :p But I'm also just referencing the guy talking about the supposed opinion of someone who knows storytelling.

I also don't quite remember Angry Joe indicting DmC's story. Although it's been a long time since I saw his video.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well, Angry Joe is a year older than me, so we've got pretty much the same gaming pedigree :p But I'm also just referencing the guy talking about the supposed opinion of someone who knows storytelling.

I also don't quite remember Angry Joe indicting DmC's story. Although it's been a long time since I saw his video.
Well he literally said Dante should be more like older Dante and not like nDante for being complete douche. Also "knowing storytelling" is just matter of experience and ability to compare how competent one storytelling stacks to another + its really matter of preferences in storytelling, since yes it does matter. And there are things that GoW3 done better than DmC in terms of storytelling, and with it being said, I don't like either of those. But its completely off topic so I wont spread it any farther.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Victimism.

Since it's massively hated, anything said against it, no matter if it's a calm argument or an observation, or even legit criticism is seen as something strictly related to hatred, and said for the only purpose of bashing for the sake of it. Then its defenders will do the same against the more popular installment(s), to make it even. I mean, how many times have we seen this, in this very forum or anywhere else?

That applies to DmC/DMC just as much as anything else really. TV, movies, comics... you name it.

Exactly, that's what I'm talking about, THS is where I've seen it.

Well you know what? I think it's unfair.

I've read posts ripping on Devil May Cry 3. Which is not only my favorite DMC game, but before Witcher 3 came out, was my favorite game, period.

Did I react? No, it's called respecting opinions. I moved on to another thread

But god forbid, someone gives DmC even a little criticism. Then it's "*Annoyed groan* Just let it go and move on!".

Another example, one guy will go on "DmC didn't bomb! Get over it" then turn around and say "Devil May Cry 4 is freaking terrible, how can anyone like it more then DmC?".

Now I'm not saying everyone who likes DmC is like that, they aren't.
But anyone who says there isn't "Whiny people b!tching" on BOTH sides of the argument.
Is clearly showing favoritism I:E: They're biased

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Also "knowing storytelling" is just matter of experience and ability to compare how competent one storytelling stacks to another + its really matter of preferences in storytelling, since yes it does matter

There are still a plethora of things that are solidified concepts in storytelling that are beyond one's preferences. No one can just legitimately pull a Dude and say it's all opinion, because no, it is most certainly not all just.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Also "knowing storytelling" is just matter of experience and ability to compare how competent one storytelling stacks to another + its really matter of preferences in storytelling, since yes it does matter.
"Knowing storytelling" really has nothing to do with experience, anymore than critiquing a game's story has anything to do with experience. You don't have to be H. P. Lovecraft or Joseph Campell to understand whether or not a story is effectively-told or not.

Most stories, especially in video games, usually take familiar plot concepts and archetypes and try to layer it with the game's own characters, lore, and narrative build. These are simple things that literally any bystander or amateur to storytelling can grasp: "Good versus Evil", the "Hero's Journey", the "Coming of Age", things of that nature. It's quite common, and you know what kind of story a game is trying to tell when you see it...it's the same thing with films, or comics, or anime. Even if the audience can't completely relate to the world or characters, they can garner some semblance of what the original writer intended from the story from the flow and the dialogue, from what dramatic moments and narrative techniques are used.

The key thing is how effectively the story is told. Again, you don't need to be a literary expert on this. Basic things like pacing, character development, consistency, the fleshing out of plotpoints and character traits...these are things that regular people observe, however subconsciously, as they watch or read things. If a story manages to secure even a few of those basic things, then the argument can still be made that the story was at least told competently. You may not like the story, but all the pieces of the narrative still fell into place: the lore or premise was presented without fail, the audience wasn't confused about what was going on, pivotal plot points were presented clearly and effectively without any miscommunication or vagueness, and throughout the narrative the audience can at least understand the characters' motives and emotions without vital scenes falling flat.

In other words, regardless of whether or not you liked a certain story, it's effectiveness rests in how well you at least understood it: Does everything make sense? Did you know what was going on? Did you know who was who, and what was driving them the whole time? Do the comprehensible moments outweigh the confusing ones? And most importantly, did you understand how you were supposed to feel during a certain scene, even if you didn't agree?

Good. That means the story was at least competently-told, even if you didn't like it or consider it cliche and devoid of anything interesting. Whenever someone is talking about "the difference between good writing and bad writing", they're usually talking about everything I've written right here. Good writing isn't measured in how much you like it---it's measured in how objectively well the author reached the goals he/she set out to achieve through the narrative, and more importantly, how clearly the audience perceived them.

Whether or not a story is "good", or "captivating", or "deep" is all subject of opinion. I won't sit here and argue which of DMC's or DmC's stories are better because how well you bonded with the characters or engrossed yourself in the narrative is up to you.

But what I can say, just as a someone who has attended numerous literature, research writing, contemporary storytelling, and literary analysis classes, with a moderate aspiration of---however possible or unlikely---becoming a novelist myself, I have a fair understanding on what constitutes as a story that's "effectively told well."

And DmC, on its worse possible day, still is an effectively better-told story and more competent narrative than most, if not all of the original Devil May Cry games. The plot reaches all of the narrative and emotional landmarks it initially sets up for itself, most of the scenes make enough sense on the spot without the need for any vague or misconstrued implications, at least decently resolves MOST of the characters' roles in the story by the end of the game, and achieves more of its emotional goals through quicker, more subtle, and more effective means.

It's less about which story is better, so much as which one was told better. It's like judging a pair of cakes in a cooking competition...except the overall goal here is not which one tastes better, but which one is burnt less, effectively put-together, and easier to swallow.

And for better or for worse, that story is DmC. It's not about it being infinitely better or groundbreaking in comparison to the originals....it's just that it doesn't tell its story as much of an incompetent and amateurish fashion. It's not nearly as convoluted and left to implication as its original predecessors, it relies more on interactions between characters than flashy fight scenes and drawn-out spectacles, and achieves more of the intended reaction that the author strove for when starting a certain plot point or establishing a certain emotional scene.

Even if I hated DmC with all of my unbridled fury, this is something I would have to admit objectively as someone who knows something about writing.

And it's not something I enjoy admitting, because DMC4 is my favorite game in the series...and I honestly wish it had the better approach to storytelling.

But I know a more competently-woven plot when I see one, and I can safely admit which game has it...even if it happens to be in the one that I honestly like less. It's the same way I can say that Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars movie, while being ready to admit that Empire Strikes Back is unquestionably more effective, better paced and more competently told as a story.

That's called removing a personal bias, and looking at something you like objectively.

It seldom happens in fandoms, especially in DMC's...but if these blazing forum arguments and constant comparisons have to happen, then that's the first step both DMC and DmC's defendants need to take in order to be taken seriously.

But god forbid, someone gives DmC even a little criticism. Then it's "*Annoyed groan* Just let it go and move on!".
I absolutely agree with you. This is a constant problem on the part of DmC fans, and I really wish it would stop. I can understand the instinctive revulsion, since most of the discussions on these types of threads consist mostly of blatant, poorly-argued bias than anything substantial...
...but there do exist legit and obvious flaws in DmC (even though I almost never see them pointed out, ironically enough), and I've seen perfectly rational and well-thought out arguments addressing them. I don't like watching people with legit arguments be silenced anymore than you do. It's gotten to the point where sensible debating and discussion of both games never surface, because both the DmC and DMC defendants would much rather take mountains of thread space to argue with themselves and measure each others' schlongs through series' sales.

There's a reason people are afraid to join the fanbase, guys. Both sides are contributing to that exact reason.

There are still a plethora of things that are solidified concepts in storytelling that are beyond one's preferences. No one can just legitimately pull a Dude and say it's all opinion, because no, it is most certainly not all just.
Pretty much. Opinions have little to do with works that are universally considered to be poorly-made or poorly-executed. For instance, I love the sh!t out of the Underworld films, but that doesn't mean I won't admit that most of the acting and writing in those films are more stilted towards crapping excess of exposition than developing the characters.

That one small step of admitting flaws in something you like, that most meager of efforts to dislodge your thumb from the puckered depths of your bias...that is the difference between a fan, and a fanboy.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I guess if something DMC-related gets announced regardless of it being a movie, a new anime/manga/comic, a new game (spinoff, sequel, crossover) etc people would focus shift focus to it then and DmC gets pushed to the side for a while.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
"Knowing storytelling" really has nothing to do with *Snip*

And DmC, on its worse possible day, still is an effectively better-told story and more competent narrative than most, if not all of the original Devil May Cry games. The plot reaches all of the narrative and emotional landmarks it initially sets up for itself, most of the scenes make enough sense on the spot without the need for any vague or misconstrued implications, at least decently resolves MOST of the characters' roles in the story by the end of the game, and achieves more of its emotional goals through quicker, more subtle, and more effective means.
Its all about denial. Nope. Narrative of DmC isn't competent told. Game has competent narrative is when storyline doesn't have plot-holes and does have consequent character growth. Both of which game lacks completely. Lore contradicts storytelling. And don't start on what devs WANTED to tell. because honestly I can't care less what they wanted to tell. Most importantly what they told. Everyone wants to be decent writer doesn't mean everyone is.
Basically DmC narrative is Michael Bay kind of story when DMC3 and 4 is anime storytelling. And picking between both Id say Michael Bay is much worse, because there is difference between telling bad story and being aware of it, and telling bad story and not being aware of it, like its in the case of DmC.
That one small step of admitting flaws in something you like, that most meager of efforts to dislodge your thumb from the puckered depths of your bias...that is the difference between a fan, and a fanboy.
For somebody like you who don't want to admit single flaw with your fav game, I don't really know if you just contradict yourself.

Sorry but DmC isn't Big Lebowski. It isn't Fight Club. Its not Seven. It's not even early Indiana Jones. DmC lacks qualities that could put its story on the same level as absolute gems in filmography or even in games. I may dislike Witcher storytelling, but its storytelling miles beyond what DmC is. Simply told, you can't take B rated story and try to shoehorn it into highest standards of literature. And yes lot of people it appears hated original Dante. Yet lot of people hated new one as well. So in the end it is matter of preference, what you like more japanese or western B-Camp. But it doesn't make western B-Camp any more competent by default.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I guess if something DMC-related gets announced regardless of it being a movie, a new anime/manga/comic, a new game (spinoff, sequel, crossover) etc people would focus shift focus to it then and DmC gets pushed to the side for a while.

Nah, don't believe that. If something DMC related comes out, ESPECIALLY if it's a game, people will go "Oh yeah the real deal is back, eff that DmC abomination!".

DmC will never be forgotten, nor pushed aside. It's like an ulcer (not talking about its quality here, but its impact on the fan base and the scar - yet another one - that it left on it). And unfortunately videos like this can't cure it.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The haters are right.

DmC single-handedly ruined the franchise because they say it's true.

I should add that to my list.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
The haters are right.

DmC single-handedly ruined the franchise because they say it's true.

I should add that to my list.

yeah i don't get this, i read things like this many times, fact is the only thing ruined or hurt from DmC is DmC itself, and me as a fan --in a way i might not see a sequel.. as a company capcom will surely notice that DmC didn't meet their expectation and they will look back to DMC4 and how the game made the biggest sell..

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
Also - SatchBag is an immensely intelligent person, who looks at games on a level few ever really do. His video on DmC was extremely interesting (as so many of his other videos also are).

Thanks for this one. I always listen to YouTubers like Totalbiscuit before I go to sleep and now I'll have another one to subscribe to.

Meg

Does DmC really need this much defending? This has been going on for years now, and quite frankly I don't get it. I love Samurai Warriors/Dynasty Warriors. I know a lot of people don't. And you know what? I don't feel the need to defend its merits to people because I know that no matter what I say, there are going to be people who hate it. And that's okay!

Same deal with DmC. Some people love it. Some people hate it. Some are in the middle. And who really cares? If you love it, then great! I wish I could love it, but I just don't get much enjoyment from it. And that's okay. The whole concept of needing to defend a video game, as if attacks against it are somehow personal, is just silly. I mean, the thing came out almost three years ago. No one is going to convince anyone to change their minds at this point.

Silliness! Silliness everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom