• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask the Staff Anything

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Football sucks. And I have no idea who any of those people are except one.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
The Doctor is the best
tumblr_lg24e42XpI1qgske5o1_400.png

Chimera Khaos

Hades Leading General Commander
Dear Staff,
could somebody delete one of the threads I made a while ago? I didn't realise we were not allowed to do those kind of things on here. Posting wars I mean...

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Dear staff,

Cookies or Cupcakes?
Cookies. Not only because of the dunkable aspect that Credo mentioned but also because you can cram more cookies into a snacking session without looking like a complete hog. I mean, 4 cookies versus 4 cakes...I know which I'd regard as looking worse.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I'm just looking right now for some advice from anyone, really... what would any of you mods do, if you have just realized your (married) landlord is making inappropriate comments to you, pushing to be invited in for coffee, and when he is, he says things like (in the middle of an ordinary convo about holidays) wanting to see pictures from your holidays with your bikini on? And when you say you don't think your partner would appreciate it, he just responds with "well I wasn't planning on telling him." Also, if he invites you for some kind of drive around his properties.

What would you do or say, bearing in mind you do not know this guy well, but he is your landlord, and he has the power to make your life pretty uncomfortable or kick you out altogether, at a time when you can't really afford to move.

How would you handle it?

I ask because it's just happened to me. -__-

Any advice would be appreciated. Some people have said things like, "call the police" (but he hasn't done anything other than say a few words) also I didn't record this conversation so I have no proof, it would be my word against his. Others have suggested telling his wife, but that might go good or bad, mightn't it? Others have said, just talk about you boyfriend a lot if you have to talk to him, or avoid him and don't answer the door unless your bf is there.

Thanks in advance...!

Hes your landlord and nothing more, you dont need to have him around you in any sort of social situation. You arent required to spend any time around or with him, so long as your paying your rent on time and keeping the place in a decent state he cant do anything to you.

Dark Drakan

Admin
We do keep the place well and never miss rent, and you're right, but he could make life really difficult if he wanted to regardless. He could simply make up some reason to have me evicted, and nobody would think anything of it. The law would be on his side and not mine, since he's the owner of my place and if he decides he wants me out he can make us go. It's happened before with another landlord once, he decided to sell up and he didn't need to give me any reason or explanations. I could challenge it if he tries to get me to leave, but I don't want to be drawn into some awful court case or something, which would only make my life miserable. I know because I've been drawn into one before when I lived in a rooming house with another tenant who was fighting the landlord's eviction, and the stress started to affect me too, even though it was nothing to do with me.

I already feel pretty awful after the experience on Friday. I will avoid him anyway now, but I am just wondering how other people would handle the prospect of him having 'crossed the line'. When he said that about my bf I think he had, as he was admitting to being a lech, and admitting he doesn't care that he is being one. It will probably continue unless I do something. But what?

So long as you arent rude and be polite about his crude remarks what would he want you out for? Personally if our landlord has been making those sort of comments to Amy id be making sure he knew that she told me with some hints the next time hes around so he would definitely not be tempted to go down that road. So the next time he gets the urge to make any comments he knows you are going to tell someone about them.

Is he a private landlord or do you go through an agency?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Not being funny, but would Citizen's Advice be any help to you? I know it's just your word against his and all that, but the fact that you've not messed him around with rent and kept your end of the agreement should stand for something and no one should have to feel the way you do, whether he's "joking" or not.

Do you have a rental contract of any sort? Is it worth going over it carefully to check what his rights are as well as your own so you can put together a game plan, if need be? Are you renting straight from him or via a letting agency?

EDIT: What you can do is firstly verbally explain that his behaviour is unsettling for you and you would like it to stop. Next, you put it in writing and send it recorded delivery. Keep record of all incidents and copies of any correspondence. You do have the right to live in your rented accommodation in peace and he does not have a legal right to make your life a misery just because he owns the place. If letters and talking do not help then he can classed as harassing you and that's a far more serious thing which can have dire consequences for him. Get in touch with CAB, if you can, and the Housing Advisor/Tenancy Relations Officer of your local authority who have the power to write to this guy if he doesn't stop and reiterate your concerns and wishes. He cannot evict you as easily as you may think and if you have a written record of your side of things, it will be hard for him to even put something together against you.

Top Bottom