• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask the Staff Anything

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@VampireWicked:

– arguments for and against it mean and result nothing. It is better in this situation to start a new discussion about the subject, rather than drawing old posts (and possibly some done by now inactive members) into a new argument.

- 1) Those members you're addressing in an old thread may now be inactive. So really if you want to continue discussing something with them, it would be pointless really.

2) For arguments sake, whether those members are still active or not, there's no reason to need to address an old thread to point something out or fit in an appropriate statement. There are several other options you can take -

2a. You could simply message the member you wished to discuss said point with, granted they are still active. Or if you're hoping for new replies, there's nothing wrong with starting a new thread.

2b. Should you decide to make a new thread to add something about such and such, you can always add a link to the original topic as source/reference to what you were discussing.

This is why I said to think whether bumping an old topic is actually worth it or not. We encourage new topics even if they have been done before etc

There's no relevance in telling members to post in old threads instead of feel the need to create new ones. And in most cases should you be unsure whether you should respond to an old thread, I would suggest to simply create a new one to save yourself from worry.

Personally I think we have been quite lenient. Not all threads (despite what some may believe) get closed, even if they are 1-2 years old. A good majority of threads I've locked recently (so this is speaking on my part) have consisted of either being bumped to add a joke or to add advice on something that has been resolved. Neither of those cases I saw necessary reason to bring back an old topic.

However, personally for me I'd say it comes down to how said threads are progressing. Nothing exactly wrong with bringing back a topic and it continuing in a decent manner. I've seen a few threads like this, so I've let the 6 month - 1 ½ year inactivity slide because someone has raised a good point and the conversation is moving along in a mature way.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@LordOfDarkness
I'm not talking arguments, i'm saying something experienced or a general perspective related to the topic.

1. For certain topics that centers around experience with a situation or a personal perspective. wouldn't matter if any of those members who contributed to the thread were still members or not as the kinda of threads i'm speaking of would be valuable to anyone member or those who sees it from google's search results.

Say a member creates a thread for PS3/360 system issues, & those contributing to the thread are asking for help with problems, providing solutions to problems, or making gamers aware of something.
Now the thread starts out hot but slows & isn't going to get contributions everyday or maybe for 6months to a year for awhile but changes are even after a year a gamer runs into an issue or stumble across something experienced that's worth sharing but isn't new thread worthy.

I wasn't trying to reference the whole 'argument' part, I was paraphrasing what had been said by Keaton. In other words, it being better to create a new thread instead of bringing back an old one.

1 and 2 are very much the same, because a solution to a problem/particular way around one could be given from someone's perspective. For instance, "I can't defeat Mundus. Any tips?". Lets assume said person's problem is solved, the thread no longer serves much of a purpose. However, if it was something like 'DMC 1 Boss Battle tips', this thread could/more than likely would be stuck/pinned. Therefore discussion is allowed to continue.

Here is where I mentioned us being lenient earlier. Not that long ago somebody requested a thread to be stuck so people could check in to catch live streams. There's no reason why if you or anyone else believes that a particular thread should be stuck you can't simply request it. Whether we agree to it or not is a different matter, but it will be discussed between staff and agreed upon so at least you will know we have been fair and given a reason for it.

There really would be no need to feel like making a new thread would be pointless. If we allowed everybody to go and dig up old topics and keep them going, no new threads would be created and nobody would be encouraged to make new threads. Along with what Keaton made clear which was about old threads potentially containing arguments and the like. Nobody wants past issues between members or problematic posts causing new problems and concerns. Therefore creating a new thread is a fresh start and can be a better way to get a discussion off on a good foot.

Meg

For anyone who might still be confused, I'm going to explain this as easily as I can:

How would you feel if someone came up to you to continue a discussion that ended months prior?

It would be weird. You would have forgotten your train of thought. Your opinion/experience may very well have changed over time. It would be very jarring.

I've had people quote a post I made weeks ago. I found that jarring. Now imagine someone quoting you/referencing something you said months or years ago.

Exactly.

Don't bump old threads. Remember. Breadsticks.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
What would an exception be? Well perhaps you have a thread where you update it over time with a new part of your story or add new pieces of artwork. That would be acceptable. And in other cases a thread you've made might concern an upcoming videogame/movie, so it gets updated every now and then. Which is also acceptable.

But lets say for instance 'Movie X' is being made in 2016, and it's early 2015. However, Movie X gets cancelled and it's not received all too well. The thread dies down after a while and vanishes for about 1-2 years, before somebody bumps it just to add a silly remark that adds nothing to an already dead topic. That's less acceptable.

This is where it comes down to "Well what if what I'm adding is contributing to the discussion?". Well, that's great and everything, but how you see it and how we see it may not always be one and the same. Really ask yourself if it's worth addressing an old topic before reviving it, or would a new topic work just as well or if not better? That means think before you decide to go ahead and bring back old threads.
And @Meg
I just want to jump in here and ask a few questions of my own since the topic has come up.

Now let's say Movie X doesn't actually have a release date but there is speculation that it could be in the works. This makes it a timeless topic (until it's made anyway). Now say this thread hasn't been touched for a couple of years, so the OP bumps the thread to get new replies to the topic. That's still okay, right, considering they created the thread and there's no 'this no longer applies' stigma attached to the content of the thread, right?

Also, although I know it's a total pain in the behind to go searching for old threads that revolve around a certain topic I'd like to ask/talk about (this is what people used to do upon joining a forum in the good ol' days), wouldn't it be better to go find the thread/content you're looking for, rather than creating a new thread on an old topic?

I get what you're saying about old threads and inactive members (although this could still work as currently active members may also be interested in a bumped thread and may quote the member who quoted the inactive member, hence discussion evolves), but at the same time (and I speak for myself here) it gets grating when there are several threads about the same topic every three pages, ie. way too often. I mean what do the rules say about creating copied threads? A while back, people used to post a link in a new thread to an already existing thread with the same topic. Now it's like a spam fest of the same thing over and over, whereas when an old, original thread gets bumped up, people are throwing their toys out the cot?

I just don't understand how the logic works there.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Dante's Stalker: Okay we're going with what you said here about 'Movie X' being a topic that is bumped by the OP after say a year or two.

My answer would be that it would be acceptable. Why? Because the rules surrounding bumping old topics state that 'if you have a legitimate reason'. The same applies with double posting. As long as that person has a legitimate reason to do so, it's fine. An unacceptable reason to double post would be something like "Oh well I keep forgetting to edit my posts, so just double/triple post anyway". @VampireWicked has an acceptable reason, so it's allowed. These specific conditions, unwritten exceptions fall down to staff discretion. You supply us with a good enough reason (legitimate reason) and we'll make an exception (under those specific conditions)

Dark Drakan

Admin
There will always be exceptions and situations where its ok to bump threads but general rule of thumb is this...

I get NOT bumping old threads with a silly reply or a reply adding absolutely NOTHING.
Or stirring up long passed arguments, by agreeing or disagreeing with a heated post.

Those replies like that should be deleted.

All down to common sense really overall.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020

I agree with you, & feel this should be kept in mind "There will always be exceptions and situations where its ok to bump threads" before locking a bumped thread or posting warnings, warnings that come across like There's no exceptions, No excuses, any & all old bumped threads will get locked.

Definitely agree with this and @Dark Drakan as the main thing it all falls down to is common sense.

Now just like an active or recent thread, there could be comments such as 'oh lol', 'i agree' or just other such things that aren't adding more to the thread. As I've explained before that continuing to add posts such as this doesn't progress the main purpose of the thread. Especially not when you have a whole page or two of "You are right"..."That was funny"...*insert silly gif* etc etc

I don't think that these comments are all so bad, only when used in excess and with nobody seeming as if they're going to get back to the topic does it become problematic.

The same thing applies to old threads being bumped with these kinds of posts. They're of little value and it seems illogical and pointless to bring back an old topic to do so. There's where the 'use common sense' part comes in to play.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@VampireWicked: So do you think a page with a list of clearer specifications on bumping old threads, general rules of posting and the like would be beneficial?

Maybe we can work on these particular guidelines and conjure up something more definitive.

There is already currently a thread in the Introductions and Goodbyes section entitled Posting and Forums: A Userguide [README]

Since that seems to be addressing things like how to post inside of a forum and links directing you to the website's rules and other helpful threads etc then perhaps what would work best would be to either enclose this information within the rules itself, or place a link within the rules leading to this thread. That way both threads would work in relation to each other so you've got more of a chance to take note of these terms.

Either way these new specifications/terms/conditions (whatever you might like to call them) would be shown and made clear to you when reading through the forum rules, whether posted there or whichever. So you would be able to see them clearly for yourself.

The most informative and necessary things to list would be -

1) When is a thread considered old or outdated and no longer relevant or of use?

- Also within reason to understand that creating new threads is still always encouraged (but reasons as to why can be noted)

2) When is it acceptable to bump an old thread?

- This would be for example like a few good reasons as to when it might be okay to actually bring an old topic back from the 'dead'.

3) What can be classed as an 'exception'?

- Here would be a case of giving examples as to what possible exceptions we could make in terms of allowing a thread to be bumped.

There's probably a couple more points here that could be added, but I'll update/edit this when I remember some.

Reactions: Meg

Meg

@VampireWicked: So do you think a page with a list of clearer specifications on bumping old threads, general rules of posting and the like would be beneficial?

Maybe we can work on these particular guidelines and conjure up something more definitive.
That's exactly what I was about to say. I think that would be helpful to everyone. Once we get a clear definition, I'll add it to my thread.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
What is the beginning of eternity, the end of time and space, the beginning of every end and the end of every race?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Oh, staff, what is the meaning of life?

Also, are any of you good at gardening? And, if so, any recommendations on how to remove mold from a tiny rose bush? D:

Dark Drakan

Admin
Also, are any of you good at gardening? And, if so, any recommendations on how to remove mold from a tiny rose bush? D:

Need a fungicidal spray & always make sure they are planted in areas with minimum of 6 hours of sunshine a day so leaves don't remain damp for too long.

Top Bottom