• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A child of many names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroLove

Good idea but i think calling Dante sexy will sound a little to weird for me even though he's just a VG character. Awesome and gruesome sounds more appropriateto me.

I dunno, many videogame characters are made to attract people using sex appeal. Why make Dante be shirtless underneath his coat in Devil May Cry 3 if not using his sex appeal as an attractive character? Many female characters are made to speak to the male (and the occasional female) gamer's libido center as well and I could post many many MANY examples on it here, however, this is off-topic and I would like to have people be more on-topic, so please, instead of trying to make up more silly, childish names, please discuss the main topic of this thread. It is much appreciated and I know mature forum users as yourselves wouldn't mind, so thank you in advance. ^^

I love how Zwei said he didn't want to start a flame war...OOOHHHH WELL!!!!

Of course I don't and I don't think anyone here would, so therefore we should stay on-topic, don't you agree?

Railazel

I'm sorry, but to me it just looks like you don't want to see the connection and would rather live in denial. If that's what you want, then that is your choice, but to state your personal issue with it as facts is incorrect and misleading. It makes you unreliable and untrustworthy as a source of information.

I'm not doing this out of denial, I'm doing it out of cognitive dissonance and overall confusion. The game has made switches between being Canon to Non- Canon, Reboot to Reimagining, and Origin Story to Alternate Universe, and the more information is provided to me about the game, the less it seems to hold any real connection to the original series.

Simply put, as a person trying to place a fair judgement on DmC and whose overall goal is to provide justification for its happening and find some form of approval for it, I can't see any other way to judge it but as a game completely from the original Devil May Cry series. Otherwise, I would have to praise and thrash the game for its new direction as it is my responsibility as a fan of a beloved series and skeptic of its new addition to make comparisons between the games. The only comparisons that I would like to make is between the games' main characters and gameplay, and only in those areas. For if I were to compare DmC to DMC, the only possible fair judgement I could make is that the game is far too different to hold its right to the Devil May Cry name. The only possible reason I can give for Capcom to give this game the Devil May Cry title is if they are passing it on to a game for a newer generation. This, however, would deplete me of whatever hope I have for there to be a sequel to the original franchise.

So, even though you may not agree, I would like for you to respect my choice and opinion in considering DmC as a seperate game from the original franchise. For, as you said, I would like to be an a reliable viewpoint for the DmC series and to give heavy skeptics reason to lower their defensive guard against Capcom's new direction for our beloved franchise. It would do much wrong if I were to consider DmC as a part of the original franchise. Rather, I shall see it as a stand alone game which will allow me to safely draw comparisons without having to draw on the bias that results from being a fan as well as not having to place the game on some "DMC" standard.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
The people who think its a big deal to get butthurt over a nickname is just as childish as the people they are pointing fingers at IMO.

I look at it this way.

Say you where a kid in kindergarten and someone gave your favorite toy a nickname like "smelly face". You get all made and butthurt and complain to the teacher asking "why are they being so mean!". You whine and you complain and hope that the kids will stop when really you are looking no better with the whining and complaining. Just as childish IMO.

My point is, Its a nickname, They are not hurting your feelings are they? They are not insulting someone dear to your heart are they? why the h*&l should you care to complain and whine about how childish they are and how they are immature?

Please stop getting so butthurt over this guys. Your no better than the people you are calling childish IMO.

ZeroLove

I'm not doing this out of denial, I'm doing it out of cognitive dissonance and overall confusion. The game has made switches between being Canon to Non- Canon, Reboot to Reimagining, and Origin Story to Alternate Universe, and the more information is provided to me about the game, the less it seems to hold any real connection to the original series.

Simply put, as a person trying to place a fair judgement on DmC and whose overall goal is to provide justification for its happening and find some form of approval for it, I can't see any other way to judge it but as a game completely from the original Devil May Cry series. Otherwise, I would have to praise and thrash the game for its new direction as it is my responsibility as a fan of a beloved series and skeptic of its new addition to make comparisons between the games. The only comparisons that I would like to make is between the games' main characters and gameplay, and only in those areas. For if I were to compare DmC to DMC, the only possible fair judgement I could make is that the game is far too different to hold its right to the Devil May Cry name. The only possible reason I can give for Capcom to give this game the Devil May Cry title is if they are passing it on to a game for a newer generation. This, however, would deplete me of whatever hope I have for there to be a sequel to the original franchise.

So, even though you may not agree, I would like for you to respect my choice and opinion in considering DmC as a seperate game from the original franchise. For, as you said, I would like to be an a reliable viewpoint for the DmC series and to give heavy skeptics reason to lower their defensive guard against Capcom's new direction for our beloved franchise. It would do much wrong if I were to consider DmC as a part of the original franchise. Rather, I shall see it as a stand alone game which will allow me to safely draw comparisons without having to draw on the bias that results from being a fan as well as not having to place the game on some "DMC" standard.

This was actually quite resfreshing and you have my respects. I take back saying you live in denial, however, I hold to the statement that you might not want to see that this is a Devil May Cry game and not just in name only. I can understand the confusion, but if Capcom wanted this game to be a completely different game, they would give it a whole new title and the main character would not share the same name as the Dante we know from the original series. How you see it is your own choice, but at least stand up to yourself and face the facts, because they are simple and easy to spot. No matter what they call it, may it be a reboot, a parallel universe, a new interpretation, it all boils down to one thing: a Devil May Cry game made to appeal to the western gaming community. This is not a personal opinion of mine or a theory I have made up in my little head, it is what Capcom/Ninja Theory has stated themselves.

I am not telling you this out of spite or because I am some freaky fanatic gamer who just wants to love this new Devil May Cry game and show haters that they are wrong in everything they say, because that I am not. Actually, I have seen a few, though they might be a minority, of the hardcore fanbase come up with some really good arguements for why they will not support this game and most of all it is due to personal reasons which I can respect, but most of all I respect them due to the fact that they weren't trying to cover up their opinions in smart words or pointing fingers at others, oh no, they were mature enough to admit that it was because they just didn't want the series to change that drastically, that it is their own personal feelings that prevents them to like the new Devil May Cry.

Taking a step back and look at the two franchises individually before forming an opinion about it is a wise thing to do, but it still sounds like you have already made up your mind that this is not a Devil May Cry game, even if facts tells differently. I don't get that. What is it that throws you off? Is it that the "m" in "DmC" isn't capital like in "DMC" that makes you confused? Is it because it doesn't follow the storyplot of the original series or because Dante appears differently in this new game? Is it because Ninja Theory have been hired to help out giving the game something that Capcom doesn't feel like they can provide to appeal to the western gamers? What exactly is it that makes you say "This is not a Devil May Cry game"?

The people who think its a big deal to get butthurt over a nickname is just as childish as the people they are pointing fingers at IMO.

I look at it this way.

Say you where a kid in kindergarten and someone gave your favorite toy a nickname like "smelly face". You get all made and butthurt and complain to the teacher asking "why are they being so mean!". You whine and you complain and hope that the kids will stop when really you are looking no better with the whining and complaining. Just as childish IMO.

My point is, Its a nickname, They are not hurting your feelings are they? They are not insulting someone dear to your heart are they? why the h*&l should you care to complain and whine about how childish they are and how they are immature?

Please stop getting so butthurt over this guys. Your no better than the people you are calling childish IMO.

So you admit that it is indeed childish to make up nicknames like that?

Edit:
Oh, I would also like to note to all of you that I have absolutely nothing against either of you, so if I seem like a jerk at times, I apologise, it is because of the heat of the discussion and if I get too much, just tell me, alright? None of what I write in these forums are meant personally at all and I hope neither of you take it like that. If you do, however, then all I can say is sorry.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
So you admit that it is indeed childish to make up nicknames like that?

Yea.

But as I pointed out earlier, only if they do it for the WRONG reasons such as to be a complete azzhat.

If it is to simply distinguish and tell the 2 apart I see nothing wrong with it.

ZeroLove

Yea.

But as I pointed out earlier, only if they do it for the WRONG reasons such as to be a complete azzhat.

If it is to simply distinguish and tell the 2 apart I see nothing wrong with it.

That I fully agree on. Though when people use the nicknames made in spite and out of hatred, such as Dino and Donte, it pokes me wrong and not because I take it personally or because it hurts my feelings (text on a screen written by a stranger on some forum never affect me like that), but because those names shouldn't be uttered by a mature gamer or person in general. Hatred beckons hatred and there will always be hatred, but there is no reason to feed it.

Domenic93

lets both just hope that this game is the equivalent of Jason X

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
That I fully agree on. Though when people use the nicknames made in spite and out of hatred, such as Dino and Donte, it pokes me wrong and not because I take it personally or because it hurts my feelings (text on a screen written by a stranger on some forum never affect me like that), but because those names shouldn't be uttered by a mature gamer or person in general. Hatred beckons hatred and there will always be hatred, but there is no reason to feed it.
There are hatred towards the game by DMC fans.
There are hatred of Ninja theory fans towards DMC Fans hatred.

You clearly answer every hatred post about Ninja theory or DmC in general despite you bring up "There is no reason to feed it".

In your question here for the Interview Steve might get you talk about DmC Dante as if he's DMC Dante.
- As we have seen in gameplay trailers, Dante's "Devil Trigger" appears to be him slowing time down and doing some aerial combos. How come decide he shouldn't turn into a demonic form (or maybe an angelic form), like he did in his Devil Triggers in past Devil May Cry games?

Clearly your delusional or just don't want to accept that fact. But it's ok for you to speak of DmC and DMC Dante as one and same character but when DMC fans call DmC Dante for Donte or other nicknames it's all of sudden not ok because hatred beackons hatred?

Let me tell you something, i know what hatred is - it's a flaw of my core. And for that i can sense your hatred. So don't go around preaching about what's right and what's wrong: because your very, very far from being the right person to bring peace to DmC controversy.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
The people who come up with nicknames like DINO or Donte(as in don't), may be looked down as being CHILDISH or IMMATURE, but they are far more creative than those people who just sit and whine about it. Hats-off to the person who came up with Agony & Irony.

Y'know what's CHILDISH? NT making a game with so called alive city which 'behaves' like a typical 13 year' rockstar wannabe twat(remember the gameplay in which Dino runs to save his a$$ from Limbo?The one with those texts? Ring any bells? ).

ReRave

smug jerk
The people who come up with nicknames like DINO or Donte(as in don't), may be looked down as being CHILDISH or IMMATURE, but they are far more creative than those people who just sit and whine about it.
How is being a creative child more mature? I get that freaking out over the names is ridiculous, too, but your line of argumentation doesn't make any sense at all, I'm afraid.

Y'know what's CHILDISH? NT making a game with so called alive city which 'behaves' like a typical 13 year' rockstar wannabe twat.
Riding on a rocket, making sexual innuendo all day and not being able to say one straight up honest phrase without looking like a clown must be the epitome of maturity to you.
Seriously, I'll take a demonic city of menace a hundred times, before I go back to watching a cutscene with classic lolsorandum Dante.
The violent language is there to show that the city is petty. It can't directly kill Dante (for whatever reason), so it get's frustrated.
I bet you know that feeling.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Geez.. Argumentation? Err..... what?

The people who come up with nicknames like DINO or Donte(as in
don't), may be looked down as being CHILDISH or IMMATURE,
but they are far more creative than those people who just sit and
whine about it... lol.. Stop freakin' over such a petty thing. Laugh out loud and be creative like them. ;) Hats-off to the person who came up with Agony &
Irony.

My actual intent was this.

ReRave

smug jerk
My actual intent was this.
Sure didn't look like it.
Well, no point starting a fight at this time of day, right, so let's get back to topic:

There's really no point in making a fuss over those nicknames. If people want to insult the game, I am not going to stop them. Why? Because they are the ones looking like immature fools, not me. I am not getting hung up on this whole affair, I want to emphazise that, but it just seems so... pointless... to me.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Sure didn't look like it.
Well, no point starting a fight at this time of day, right, so let's get back to topic:

Well, now that I read that myself, I think you're right. It does give out negative vibes. I forgot that I was expressing myself by typing, not speaking.

And don't worry, you'll never start a fight with me. You noticed I didn't reply to the opinionated part of your 'argumentation'? I'm like that. I don't freakin' care about your opinions. So......

And, sorry OP for this off topic post.

ZeroLove

There are hatred towards the game by DMC fans.
There are hatred of Ninja theory fans towards DMC Fans hatred.

You clearly answer every hatred post about Ninja theory or DmC in general despite you bring up "There is no reason to feed it".

In your question here for the Interview Steve might get you talk about DmC Dante as if he's DMC Dante.

Clearly your delusional or just don't want to accept that fact. But it's ok for you to speak of DmC and DMC Dante as one and same character but when DMC fans call DmC Dante for Donte or other nicknames it's all of sudden not ok because hatred beackons hatred?

Let me tell you something, i know what hatred is - it's a flaw of my core. And for that i can sense your hatred. So don't go around preaching about what's right and what's wrong: because your very, very far from being the right person to bring peace to DmC controversy.

I'll let you think whatever you want, I don't want to go into a deeper discussion with you as you clearly try to rile me up, but I'm not going to take the bait. If you wish to discuss these things with me, then send me an IM. As of this thread, please, get on-topic, thank you.

And, sorry OP for this off topic post.

Hehe, forgiven. :p

ReRave

smug jerk
Well, now that I read that myself, I think you're right. It does give out negative vibes. I forgot that I was expressing myself by typing, not speaking. That happens to everyone all the time, don't sweat it.

And don't worry, you'll never start a fight with me. You noticed I didn't reply to the opinionated part of your 'argumentation'? I'm like that. I don't freakin' care about your opinions. So......
Good.

Railazel

Taking a step back and look at the two franchises individually before forming an opinion about it is a wise thing to do, but it still sounds like you have already made up your mind that this is not a Devil May Cry game, even if facts tells differently. I don't get that. What is it that throws you off? Is it that the "m" in "DmC" isn't capital like in "DMC" that makes you confused? Is it because it doesn't follow the storyplot of the original series or because Dante appears differently in this new game? Is it because Ninja Theory have been hired to help out giving the game something that Capcom doesn't feel like they can provide to appeal to the western gamers? What exactly is it that makes you say "This is not a Devil May Cry game"?

To put it simply, the major difference between the two is the overall "feeling" I get from them. Naturally every game is unique, but franchises tend to have the same/similar feeling between their games. DmC has a new art/story/gameplay direction, giving it a feeling far too different for it to be a DMC game.

Take the scenery for example. In DMC, I always had the feeling of stagnance from the scenery, but now that feeling is gone now that Limbo City is alive.

Ana

Take the scenery for example. In DMC, I always had the feeling of stagnance from the scenery, but now that feeling is gone now that Limbo City is alive.

That kinda sounds like a good thing...?

Anyway, I think the feeling of consistency in DMC is false. I think DMC4 has a pretty different feeling from the others, DMS2 was a thing all of its own, so that only leaves two games, in which I honestly feel Dante was quite different.

ReRave

smug jerk
That kinda sounds like a good thing...?

Anyway, I think the feeling of consistency in DMC is false. I think DMC4 has a pretty different feeling from the others, DMS2 was a thing all of its own, so that only leaves two games, in which I honestly feel Dante was quite different.
AMEN.

No two Dantes are alike and DMC1 set a whole other mood than DMC3&4. I only got to play DMC2 for a few hours, so I can't really say anything about it, except for the general stuff.
DMC 1 set more of a survival horror mood, your moveset was pretty astonishing for that time, but the pace of the game had nothing to do with later games of the franchise.
DMC 2 had more open spaces and a lot of walking inbetween combat, as far as I remember. It felt empty. Completely devoid of character.
DMC 3 in turn was 180 degress into the other direction. It was loud, it was fast, it was exagerrated in every aspect, tot he point where even gaming magazines warned the audience beforehand, that Dante's douchery might get anoying very fast. Nonetheless it became one of the best action titles ever on the PS2.
DMC 4 felt like the developers didn't really know what to do with the franchise: Gone is the gothic architecture, gone is the horror feeling of the first game and gone is all modesty. Dante is cheesier, the story is worse and the plotholes are so huge by now, you could drown a herd of elefants in them.

My point is: there is no such thing as continuity in the franchise. No game felt like the one before. The only constant is the main character's look, for everything else is a victim of profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom