• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A child of many names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ana

No two Dantes are alike and DMC1 set a whole other mood than DMC3&4.

DMC 1 set more of a survival horror mood, your moveset was pretty astonishing for that time, but the pace of the game had nothing to do with later games of the franchise.
DMC 3 in turn was 180 degress into the other direction. It was loud, it was fast, it was exagerrated in every aspect.

My point is: there is no such thing as continuity in the franchise. No game felt like the one before. The only constant is the main character's look, for everything else is a victim of profit.

I love 4, but I think if you want to talk about continuity in DMC, it'll be between 1&3, especially in the setting. It was very gothic, dark and enclosed. There was a very oppressive feeling, of being trapped. Even when you went outside, it didn't feel like it because of the heavy clouds and darkness (except for a couple short cutscenes in 3, maybe).

Dante stood out because of the bright red coat and his utter lack of concern for the creepy setting. I would even say it wasn't really survival at all because you never run out of bullets because Dante never gave the impression he was fighting for survival. 3 took that a little too far. (I personally found his "Yahoo!" and other exclamations a bit distracting.

Fortuna had interesting architecture and very lovely cinematics, but it was too... sunny. Too much running around. It felt more like an adventure game in parts. (The wide "range" was also in 2.)

That's part of what makes DmC feel so different. Not only is it much more modern in setting, but... take that "Secret" trailer. It's all out in open, bright and... big. It gives me an impression I often get from modern media - like they're showing off their CG. It's nice and all, but it can feel really out of place.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I love 4, but I think if you want to talk about continuity in DMC, it'll be between 1&3, especially in the setting. It was very gothic, dark and enclosed. There was a very oppressive feeling, of being trapped. Even when you went outside, it didn't feel like it because of the heavy clouds and darkness (except for a couple short cutscenes in 3, maybe).

Story-wise even 1 and 3 do not meet, no matter how the creators tried to make us believe that. In DMC1 it's stated right at the beginning that Dante lost both his mother AND his brother 20 years ago. And when Dante sees Nelo Angelo without the helmet it still doesn't ring a bell - and let's be fair, Nelo's face is less weird than the corrupted Vergil's but STILL recognizable to those who've seen DMC3 Vergil. Even when he gets the hint after receiving Vergil's amulet, the only memory that comes to him of Vergil is one when they were both little kids.

As for the places. In 1 you traveled between a castle, a ship, a town, underwater, the underworld etc. In DMC3 all the missions are in this damned tower. Even the underworld is still the tower somehow. And Dante's shop and a club do not count as extra places. Don't get me wrong DMC3 IS awesome, but for me the places were pretty boring. I never felt any gothic atmosphere (the 2nd game had more than the 3rd) neither was I let's say "afraid" of any enemy. In DMC1 the enemies weren't "cheap" like DMC3 (examples: Bloodgoyles multiply if you hit them with the sword so you only need guns, the other guy with the huge shield in front of him who can only lose if you go hit him from behind, the annoying flying things that are ethereal and invisible when you look at them and should turn your back and shoot immediately if you want to hit them), they were just STRONG. You could hit them with all your might and they would COUNTER-ATTACK! Awesome. In DMC3 if an enemy is blocking you, you just keep hitting him until you break his guard.

Etc.

Not that there AREN'T similarities mind you, just thought I'd say those since for me they were some big Difference between the 1st and the 3rd game.

Ana

Story-wise even 1 and 3 do not meet, no matter how the creators tried to make us believe that. In DMC1 it's stated right at the beginning that Dante lost both his mother AND his brother 20 years ago. And when Dante sees Nelo Angelo without the helmet it still doesn't ring a bell - and let's be fair, Nelo's face is less weird than the corrupted Vergil's but STILL recognizable to those who've seen DMC3 Vergil. Even when he gets the hint after receiving Vergil's amulet, the only memory that comes to him of Vergil is one when they were both little kids.

As for the places. In 1 you traveled between a castle, a ship, a town, underwater, the underworld etc. In DMC3 all the missions are in this damned tower. Even the underworld is still the tower somehow. And Dante's shop and a club do not count as extra places.

Don't get me wrong DMC3 IS awesome, but for me the places were pretty boring. I never felt any gothic atmosphere (the 2nd game had more than the 3rd) neither was I let's say "afraid" of any enemy. In DMC1 the enemies weren't "cheap" like DMC3 (examples: Bloodgoyles multiply if you hit them with the sword so you only need guns, the other guy with the huge shield in front of him who can only lose if you go hit him from behind, the annoying flying things that are ethereal and invisible when you look at them and should turn your back and shoot immediately if you want to hit them), they were just STRONG. You could hit them with all your might and they would COUNTER-ATTACK! Awesome. In DMC3 if an enemy is blocking you, you just keep hitting him until you break his guard.

You, my friend, have made a terrible mistake. And now, I will never stop talking. Ever.

I admit the story doesn't match up exactly. But, eh, that doesn't bother me all that much. None of those details really make much difference in the long run, and they have nothing on the plothole of Nero's existence. As long as you squint a bit, it's possible to see how the two connect. Which... isn't good, but I'm used to much, much worse.

As for the settings... DMC1 had a town?! Where?! I'll give you castle, ship, underwater caves, but town? (Now, DMC2...)

Temen-ni-gru might have been just one tower (plus, beginning stage was town), but it was huge. The various levels were all pretty different, and we got a giant monster's belly instead of a ship. And I dunno about you, but I don't think taking out inexplicable gameplay shift swimming sections was a weakness. (I hate underwater stages.)

That aside, I don't think it's the settings themselves that are similar, but rather the general atmosphere. Dark, lots of ominous stone structures, gradually building evil presence that corrupts the atmosphere and increasingly trippy design toward the end.

4 - well, it's pretty sunny and you get to run around a tropical-ish forest. Lots of white too. (I know that might seem petty, but we are talking about visual impressions...)

Gothic... well, I think it's a cool word. I honestly don't think you're supposed to be scared of anything in DMC. Like in Castlevania. You can whip anything to death. You can whip Death to death.

And didn't DMC1 have those Shadow things, the kitty-cat ones that were immune to swords? And I think in 3, there are enemies you have to attack in specific ways or they don't take damage (Durandal...?)......? But gameplay is a whole other thing in any case.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
You, my friend, have made a terrible mistake. And now, I will never stop talking. Ever.

Fair enoughXD

I admit the story doesn't match up exactly. But, eh, that doesn't bother me all that much. None of those details really make much difference in the long run, and they have nothing on the plothole of Nero's existence. As long as you squint a bit, it's possible to see how the two connect. Which... isn't good, but I'm used to much, much worse.

It doesn't bother me that much either. I just highlighted this to prove my point, that the story isn't as well tied as it appears to be to most fans. Personally I try to ignore all those inconcistencies and allow for everything in DMC to be connected(in my mind at least), from novels to side games like SMT3: Nocturne. ;)

As for the settings... DMC1 had a town?! Where?! I'll give you castle, ship, underwater caves, but town? (Now, DMC2...)

Wait, when you were leaving that castle (you know, when you release the bridge and all that) and run off to all those other places in the island, like the Colosseum, some forests etc wasn't a town there? I could be wrong though, but it doesn't help that there aren't people around (in the game). Now that you mention it, I don't remember any house, only some hidden places near the ship/mountains and all that. So yeah let's change town to pirates hideout:p

Temen-ni-gru might have been just one tower (plus, beginning stage was town), but it was huge. The various levels were all pretty different, and we got a giant monster's belly instead of a ship. And I dunno about you, but I don't think taking out inexplicable gameplay shift swimming sections was a weakness. (I hate underwater stages.)

I don't like swimming all that much either but it didn't bother me at DMC1. Mostly because Dante didn't need to breathe and I could play the swimmer forever. The tower was huge I'll give you that, but the levels aren't sooo many. After you reach the tower (4th mission) in that general place, you play like 3 missions all around there. You know where the super-jump thingy is and you go in circles between 3 doors. This changed around the mission where you fight Vergil (the 7th?) even though in a small part of it you still visited that area using an elevator. And after mission 13, you still visited the same places, albeit a bit altered because of what had happened in the tower.

Don't get me wrong, I realize you revisit places in DMC1/2 a lot. (4 is on a whole other level of revisiting as that's what you mostly do:p). But somehow in the 3rd it bored me - the scenery remains mostly the same - while in the others it didn't. Maybe it's just me.

That aside, I don't think it's the settings themselves that are similar, but rather the general atmosphere. Dark, lots of ominous stone structures, gradually building evil presence that corrupts the atmosphere and increasingly trippy design toward the end.

4 - well, it's pretty sunny and you get to run around a tropical-ish forest. Lots of white too. (I know that might seem petty, but we are talking about visual impressions...)

We completely disagree here it seems (lol). For me the DMC1 atmosphere inspired me. I was eager, trembling with exchitement and loved everything around me - the walls/stuff etc. It DMC3 Dante was so "chill out I got it" that I was mostly rushing the game (first playthrough) wanting to see what happens in the story and upgrade the million stuff you had to upgrade. Guns/style/buy moves/orbs etc:p

For the 4th I have nothing negative to say regarding the places. I loved them all a lot. And actually in regards to feeling, DMC4 as a whole felt a lot closer to dmc1 than dmc3 did (for me). The enemies too. They were again tough and ready to counter-attack and all that:D

Gothic... well, I think it's a cool word. I honestly don't think you're supposed to be scared of anything in DMC. Like in Castlevania. You can whip anything to death. You can whip Death to death.

And didn't DMC1 have those Shadow things, the kitty-cat ones that were immune to swords? And I think in 3, there are enemies you have to attack in specific ways or they don't take damage (Durandal...?)......? But gameplay is a whole other thing in any case.

Even in Castlevania (not the last one) I had that feeling of intrigue that gothic atmosphere does to me. But not in DMC3. Even in DMC2 I had it but not so much in DMC3.

My point with the enemies: Shadows were super powerful EVEN when you used guns. Bloodgoyles and Durandals where annoying at most when you figured the trick.

Ana

It doesn't bother me that much either. I just highlighted this to prove my point, that the story isn't as well tied as it appears to be to most fans. Personally I try to ignore all those inconcistencies and allow for everything in DMC to be connected(in my mind at least), from novels to side games like SMT3: Nocturne. ;)

I'm an occasional semi-fan of Transformers, so the mental acrobatics of trying to align canon that clearly doesn't match is nothing for me. I'm also a reader of fanfiction, so there's a lot of general flexibility there too.

Wait, when you were leaving that castle (you know, when you release the bridge and all that) and run off to all those other places in the island, like the Colosseum, some forests etc wasn't a town there? I could be wrong though, but it doesn't help that there aren't people around (in the game). Now that you mention it, I don't remember any house, only some hidden places near the ship/mountains and all that. So yeah let's change town to pirates hideout:p

The tower was huge I'll give you that, but the levels aren't sooo many. After you reach the tower (4th mission) in that general place, you play like 3 missions all around there. You know where the super-jump thingy is and you go in circles between 3 doors. This changed around the mission where you fight Vergil (the 7th?) even though in a small part of it you still visited that area using an elevator. And after mission 13, you still visited the same places, albeit a bit altered because of what had happened in the tower.

....You know, I don't actually remember what all the areas/levels were. All I really remember is a haze of "Die, die, die! No, not you! Stop dying, Dante, you bastard!" I'm... not actually any good at these kinds of games (or any games, really). There was a dark castle and a dark tower and they seem kinda alike to me. :/

We completely disagree here it seems (lol). For me the DMC1 atmosphere inspired me. I was eager, trembling with exchitement and loved everything around me - the walls/stuff etc. It DMC3 Dante was so "chill out I got it" that I was mostly rushing the game (first playthrough) wanting to see what happens in the story and upgrade the million stuff you had to upgrade. Guns/style/buy moves/orbs etc:p

For the 4th I have nothing negative to say regarding the places. I loved them all a lot. And actually in regards to feeling, DMC4 as a whole felt a lot closer to dmc1 than dmc3 did (for me). The enemies too. They were again tough and ready to counter-attack and all that:D

I guess it's a matter of individual taste...? 3Dante kinda annoyed me, really. I don't mind that kind of character, but not in the middle of such a serious, dark setting. (Also, Jester was even more annoying and out of place.)

I felt 4 was very different from 1, not in a bad way, but different. Also, something about going through a town, an abandoned mining town, a snowy castle, a tropical forest and a giant white fortress (that stupid fortress particularly annoyed me) (and doing the same in reverse) did not seem like very good flow to me. I kept thinking that I want either an overworld map or the ability to explore properly.

......... Wait, where am I going with this? Oh, right, consistency in theme, design and atmosphere.

DMC wasn't all that consistent, though it did try, and the more modern feel of DmC is kinda.... different. Yeah.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Actually that's what I've been saying from the beginning, that the game series is less concistent than it first appears to beXD

Even though that doesn't bother me.

Meg

I think I can summarize the problem in one sentence. No one put much thought into how to continue the story after the first game, so they just did whatever they wanted, and it did not work.

Honestly though, story wise the first game is the only one that feels "complete" to me. All the others' stories feel more like rough drafts.

And aren'e we supposed to be talking about nicknames? XD

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Although I refer to DMC Dante as "Classic Dante" and DmC Dante as "New Dante" which I think works well here is some random ideas for "New Dante."
DmC Dante could be referred to as:
1. Dante 2
2. Dante X
3. Alter-Dante
4. American/Americanized Dante
5. "Dan" (Similar to the "Godzilla" and "Zilla" thing)
6 Dant2te (pronounced "Dan 2 te"
And that's all I got.

Ana

I prefer descriptive, catchy nicknames. Like, Angel Boy or something. Out of all the others, I like Dino best. It sounds nice and I'm forgetful enough to ignore its meaning.

I just wish the fandom would agree on one and stick with it.

Speaking of which, I thought the Japanese method of distinguishing them was the cutest. DMC1 Dante is "shodai" (First, essentially) and the rest are 2-3-4dai. Haaaa, it reminds me so pleasantly of Naruto.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Although I refer to DMC Dante as "Classic Dante" and DmC Dante as "New Dante" which I think works well here is some random ideas for "New Dante."
DmC Dante could be referred to as:
1. Dante 2
2. Dante X
3. Alter-Dante
4. American/Americanized Dante
5. "Dan" (Similar to the "Godzilla" and "Zilla" thing)
6 Dant2te (pronounced "Dan 2 te"
And that's all I got.
4.the original Dante is American and we don't know the nationality of DmC Dante. so calling DmC Dante American Dante doesn't make sense. if you want to use a nationality to refer to DmC Dante than British Dante would make more sense (we don't know if DmC Dante is British but Ninja Theory is and Dante's clothing is based on a style that originated in the UK in the 70's)

ReRave

smug jerk
How about we stick to the poet-theme? Ovid seems nice (Orpheus travelled to Hades to save his beloved Eurydike, kinda like Dante trying to do something in Limbo City).

Ana

Speaking of names for the new Dante, can anyone explain to me what's up with the Japan fans?

They seem to refer to him as "nakura" Dante, with these kanji: 名倉. The first one is "name," the second one is "cellar." Together it means... what? There is obviously a joke here that I'm missing.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Speaking of names for the new Dante, can anyone explain to me what's up with the Japan fans?

They seem to refer to him as "nakura" Dante, with these kanji: 名倉. The first one is "name," the second one is "cellar." Together it means... what? There is obviously a joke here that I'm missing.
they name because he shares the same name as the original main character and cellar because he was in a prison in tgs 2010 which like being in a cellar is capture
How about we add one more "O" in between Bob.

We get, BOOB.

How does that sound?
now we are talking!!
You guys know what the funniest part about him is is it is like nero
by the time all of us finished the game , like with nero , now that we have finally opened up to new dante as a character
capcom is going to replace him (probably going back to original dante XD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom