• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A child of many names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroLove

Okay, this thread is basically going to be about the many names people call this new Dante.
I have seen him been called Dino "Dante in name only" and Donte which derives from the word "don't" to show he isn't the original Dante. I can understand people giving him a sort of nickname in order to differentiate him from the original Dante, but I also find the nicknames very childish, usually because they are made by the angry fans who like to talk bad about the new Dante and the new Devil May Cry and usually in that context as well.

Personally, I just call them new Dante and original Dante, because that is basically what they are. Some say DmC Dante and DMC Dante which also clearly shows who is who. So why do others refuse to be immature and use terms like these instead of making up those childish nicknames?

Please try and keep the discussion civilized, I don't wish to start a flame war or anything like it, just a nice and healthy discussion. Thank you. :)

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
When DmC was announced people expected the return of one man:
Dante.

And instead they saw a new character. One that smokes, has black hair (and white hair patch because of demon power), and beat up.

Not once did Ninja theory "This is a new game". A reboot means often the same character is in the reboot e.g Dante from DMC, and not DmC's character.

But that wasn't the case. Ninja theory and Capcom kept on with vague speech about someone named Dante but clearly not expressing which Dante.
Dante of DMC was a thing of the past. He's pretty much burried until Capcom ressurcted him.

Instead of talking about DmC and it's character as it really was:
a new game with DMC gameplay but with Ninja theory's version of DMC Dante.

They talked about things that didn't matter such as DMC Dante. If DmC is a new game and it has new character that's Ninja theory's version of Dante, then DMC Dante shouldn't come into the picture. Like "Why does DmC Dante not have white hair?"

A: He isn't DMC Dante. He's Ninja theory's version of Dante. Move on.

or Tameem said "We are gonna toughen him up". Toughen who up? DMC Dante or DmC Dante?

But just like how fans didn't understand that this is just a Dante not DMC Dante, Ninja theory kept on bringing DMC Dante into the picture when talking about DmC Dante.

So clearly Capcom wanted to use DMC Dante to draw attention to Ninja theory's Dante. That's why they had two guns, rebellion, that jacket and demon powers. Honestly any new character would be a fine choice than one that poses as DMC Dante.

I find it immature that CApcom and Ninja theory and everyone speaks of DmC Dante as if it's DMC Dante when they are two different characters. Of course DmC Dante is using guns, rebellion, demon powers etc but their character is not the same. Nero has many similarities as DMC Dante. If your gonna overlook the different things in DmC Dante's character then you could do the same with Nero. And by that you can then overlook that Nero's name is Nero, and instead call him Dante because he many similarities with DMC Dante.

ZeroLove

I agree that it should be made clear that the two Dante characters aren't the exact same person, but maybe instead of making up childish nicknames, isn't it better to just make it clear for people that there's a new Dante and an original Dante?

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
I agree that it should be made clear that the two Dante characters aren't the exact same person, but maybe instead of making up childish nicknames, isn't it better to just make it clear for people that there's a new Dante and an original Dante?
It's easier to say Donte. And the way Tameem talked about DMC Dante "He's no longer cool" makes people not want to show respect to DmC Dante.

I certainly do not. Because again DmC Dante is a new Dante. DmC Dante is result of using DMC Dante, and also add in Ninja theory's own ideas to shape him.

And result is DmC Dante right?

But why then bring in DMC Dante? Say that he's no longer cool. That he's a fashionista? That he's not tough.
Just say things as it is "This is a new Dante and we are only using DMC Dante to help shape him"Don't go around downtalking DMC Dante for no reason.

Tameem has disrespected DMC Dante, and created something a part of fanbase do not like. And he has also disrespected fans with "Skeptics secretly want to like DmC" (arrogance).
or "We got our plan and we're not changing it".

When someone is that immature then he will receive the same treatment as one he has given to fans.
It's easy for him to sit on a chair and say "People are to attatched to a character" because let's take Heavenly sword as scenario: What if SOny (they got the rights (?) ) hired new developers and changed Nariko.
A Narikio with blonde hair . Would Tameem just react and still same the same line "People are to attatched to a character"? I highly doubt that. He wouldn't like it.

And tell me how is not childlish to talk down on DMC Dante for no reason? But it is childlish to call DmC character for Donte? Both is a way of talking down on a character.

ZeroLove

There is a different to have made a character and be attached to your own creation and being a fan of an already made character and get attached to that. It is definately not the same. I can understand if the creators of Dante is getting emotional about other people changing their character, but fans getting hurt because of it is a bit scary, imo. That people can get SO attached to a character and rage so much as the Devil May Cry fanbase have done is close to the psychotic!

Tameem disrespecting the fans, well, it depends on how you see it. At one point, Tameem really haven't given the best impression and doesn't seem like an empathic person, so lots of the things he's said have been very unfortunate and I can understand why some people would be offended by it. On the other hand, nothing he's said have been directly disrespectful. He's stated some opinions and because some people don't agree with those opinions they rage at him and blame him for this and that. Sometimes it really just looks like people wants to blame it all on someone and Tameem is an easy target for all their blames.

Anyways, this is all besides the point of this thread! What you are basically saying is that because Tameem have said some things then it is okay to make up bad nicknames about the new Dante. How is that not childish?

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
DmC Dante is a version of DMC Dante. So Tameem or Ninja theory isn't the actual creator of DmC character. Hideki is. They are using Hidekis ideas because Capcom has the rights over the game.
If DmC's character was a new character with no similar things like Dante then you can say "It's their creation". But DmC character is named Dante, has demon powers, rebellion, ebony and ivory. All of these are things DMC Dante has and DMC Dante was made by Hideki.

You keep denying that Tameem has disrespected fans by saying "He hasn't given best impression". And it has offended many people. Are you gonna deny that too? Or is it a common thing for people who like Ninja theory to look at everything as "unfortunate" or "bad impression".

It's not besides the point. You wanted to know why people call him Donte, and i told you the truth.
"said some things". How about you say it as it is - he disrespected fans. How does these quote not show that:

"I don't care" (about fans reaction)
"We got our plan and we are not changing it " (Does that their plan involve not listening to fans?)
"Those who are skeptics secretly want to like DmC"
"Dante is not cool"

Just like Ninja theory and Capcom you avoid saying setences. Such as saying "They disrespected fans yes". Just like how Ninja theory and Capcom don't dare to say "This is a new Dante and new DmC, but with same gameplay" because that would distance DmC Dante from DMC Dante making it bad for sales.

No, i am not saying that it's right thing to make up chidlish names. But stop being so darn surprised. When you disrespect people, you get disrespectful things back.

Surrounding DmC controversy those in DMC fanbase who have showed dislike of DmC has been called ignorant, narrowminded, immature and childlish. Not to mention they are also sending so called death threats that nobody have seen. But Tameem isn't anything. He's just been unfortunate and gave a bad impression. But hey DmC is aimed at a new fanbase (Ninja theory's plus causal gamers). DMC fans are pretty much leftovers that can buy them game if they like.

They were far from honest and humble in this project. And if they had some of that they would see that people aren't hateful for no reason.

Dantino

That crazy dude on the internet...
1)"We've got our plans and we're not changing it" is no insult taking it as such is just childish and looking for a d**k to hang onto as a point.
A)listening to fans would overhaul the whole idea of refreshing the series coz what fans want is the same thing all over again.
B)what fans want would make a game have a crappy everything. E.g fans want the 1/2 angel removed. That would affect the story & gameplay they've laid out. Fans want white hair that would ruin the whole character development & story they've planned.
Fans want 60fps-to do that they'd have to remove limbo(moving,changing & living world) which is a major story & gameplay element. If they listen to fans and change what was planned,we'd end up having a game in which the story being told does not correlate with the game you're playing. Not listening to fans is a good idea to give us the great game they have planned(even though they've caved in a bit to unimportant thing that doesn't affect the story or gameplay. I want beat up dante with smoking addiction not generic pretty boy with moral etiquette. Thanks for ruining that DMC fans,thanks a lot).
2)"Skeptic secretly want to like it" is not arrogance it's a common fact. It may not apply to you due to your stand on this game & it might but due to your INTERNET PERSONALITY you just claim otherwise. Secretly liking something but claiming you hate it just to save you ego or reputation is something most people if not everyone has done before. Tell me you've never secretly liked a girl but your outward attitude make it look like you dislike her(Don't bother if you're gay/A. V geek). I secretly loved the danish cookies my mom usually brought home weekly as a teenager. why? because i was used to her bringing home cream cracker biscuits(my fav's) but when she brought home the danish cookies because she said she thought we were tried of the biscuit, i was ****ed then i watched my brothers chew down on those cookies,i wanted to have a taste but my ego and pride was at stake after ranting so much about it. But right now i can't go two week without those cookies even as an adult.
3)"i don't care" he didn't complete it. More like "i don't care about their ranting,cursing & hateful comments". If you want to take that as a normal "i don't care". So i think DmC is gonna be awesome & tameem said he doesn't care,well cry me a river, i don't care that he doesnt care.
4)DANTE is not cool anymore-his opinion,mine too DMC Dantes mode of dressing & attitude of taking everything as a big joke is uncool to me(not taking somethings seriously is cool but when everything is one big one-liner then that is just plain obnoxious IMO).

ZeroLove

I don't see it as Ninja Theory disrespecting fans, but more fans taking it too personal. I don't really like Tameem or Ninja Theory, their games are mediocre at best, the only thing I like is their way of storytelling in their games. I like following a good story in a game and Ninja Theory's games have given me that, but the general gameplay in those games haven't been that good. That is why I am excited about the new Devil May Cry having gameplay resembling that of their predecessors, because then I have good gameplay and good storytelling in the same game. That is the kind of games I enjoy the most and that is why I hope for this new Devil May Cry to be good.

Tameem isn't very likable, I already said that above. He isn't very empathic (if you don't know what that means, look it up), he doesn't seem to relate much to the fans, but that doesn't make him a bad person or a bad leader of the Ninja Theory team, it just means he was a bad choice as a spokesman for their team. I like that other guy alot better (the bald one), because he knows what to say and how to say it right. But I still don't find what Tameem have said as disrespectful. People are just being overly sensitive, emotional and touchy, crying about it on several forums, because they aren't getting what they want. Compared to what Tameem have said, the angry fans have said some extremely nasty things that are highly inappropriate and unnecessary and I don't mean the death threats, but in posts on forums all over the internet. Compared to them, Tameem is a saint. That does not mean I like him, just that those angry fans are much worse than him!

If calling the new Dante for some bad nicknames to get some kind of self-reserved pleasure, because it is a way to show disrespect to Tameem, Ninja Theory and so on, then that is indeed very childish.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
It's Dante right? They've said its Dante...
I'm calling him Dante... :D Although in one picture i think he looks like Robbie Williams :D
That is all

Dantino

That crazy dude on the internet...
on topic: they'd probably call vergil VINO. If he's in the game or Vorgil. Trish will be TINO/Trosh,Lady would be LINO/Lody,sparda SINO/Sporda,Arkham is AINO/Arkhom & Eva is EINO/Evo. Loool f**kin childish .

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
I don't see it as Ninja Theory disrespecting fans, but more fans taking it too personal. I don't really like Tameem or Ninja Theory, their games are mediocre at best, the only thing I like is their way of storytelling in their games. I like following a good story in a game and Ninja Theory's games have given me that, but the general gameplay in those games haven't been that good. That is why I am excited about the new Devil May Cry having gameplay resembling that of their predecessors, because then I have good gameplay and good storytelling in the same game. That is the kind of games I enjoy the most and that is why I hope for this new Devil May Cry to be good.

Tameem isn't very likable, I already said that above. He isn't very empathic (if you don't know what that means, look it up), he doesn't seem to relate much to the fans, but that doesn't make him a bad person or a bad leader of the Ninja Theory team, it just means he was a bad choice as a spokesman for their team. I like that other guy alot better (the bald one), because he knows what to say and how to say it right. But I still don't find what Tameem have said as disrespectful. People are just being overly sensitive, emotional and touchy, crying about it on several forums, because they aren't getting what they want. Compared to what Tameem have said, the angry fans have said some extremely nasty things that are highly inappropriate and unnecessary and I don't mean the death threats, but in posts on forums all over the internet. Compared to them, Tameem is a saint. That does not mean I like him, just that those angry fans are much worse than him!

If calling the new Dante for some bad nicknames to get some kind of self-reserved pleasure, because it is a way to show disrespect to Tameem, Ninja Theory and so on, then that is indeed very childish.
I explained to you why people call him Dino or Donte and you repeat "Oh that's childlish" and "I don't see them as disrespecting but fans taking it to personal". You don't like Ninja theory but like their storytelling?

And those death threats don't exist. It's just probably a PR stunt.

ZeroLove

I explained to you why people call him Dino or Donte and you repeat "Oh that's childlish" and "I don't see them as disrespecting but fans taking it to personal". You don't like Ninja theory but like their storytelling?

You don't know that. You are putting your opinions and conspiracy theories forth as facts. You aren't really all that a reliable source.

Yes, I like their way of telling stories in games, but I'm not particularly fond of the company in itself. What is it about that you don't get? Everything isn't all black and white. You don't have to either hate someone completely or love them unconditionally, y'know.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
You don't know that. You are putting your opinions and conspiracy theories forth as facts. You aren't really all that a reliable source.

Yes, I like their way of telling stories in games, but I'm not particularly fond of the company in itself. What is it about that you don't get? Everything isn't all black and white. You don't have to either hate someone completely or love them unconditionally, y'know.
I said it's PROBABLY a pr stunt. And i posted a video of a very anti-DmC metal song which is what Tameem described one of the death threats as.
It's funny you say i am putting my conspiracy theories as fact when you talk about these death threats when you haven't even seen or heard them.

I never said i am a reliable source. But you know unlike you i don't go around talking about death threats as if i have seen them. And i argumented for why i believe it's a PR stunt.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i used Dino as short hand to make it easier to refer to him.

Nicknames are cool just as long as you dont outright insult him.

calling him "homo dante" aint right.

ReRave

smug jerk
It's funny you say i am putting my conspiracy theories as fact when you talk about these death threats when you haven't even seen or heard them.
So what you are saying is: There are no death threats, even though the facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/devilmaycry?sk=wall) is literally littered with them? It took me like 5 minutes to spot comments like "NT: you will die for what you've done!". 5 minutes. It's that easy to find this stuff.

And i argumented for why i believe it's a PR stunt.
Yeah, well, go to facebook and be in for a surprise.

I never said i am a reliable source. But you know unlike you i don't go around talking about death threats as if i have seen them.

No, you said:
I would've taken your comment exactly the same way.

DmC Dante is a version of DMC Dante. So Tameem or Ninja theory isn't the actual creator of DmC character. Hideki is. They are using Hidekis ideas because Capcom has the rights over the game.
If DmC's character was a new character with no similar things like Dante then you can say "It's their creation". But DmC character is named Dante, has demon powers, rebellion, ebony and ivory. All of these are things DMC Dante has and DMC Dante was made by Hideki. And by that other guy, who took over after DMC1, who completely changed everything about Dante's personality.

You keep denying that Tameem has disrespected fans by saying "He hasn't given best impression". And it has offended many people. Are you gonna deny that too? Or is it a common thing for people who like Ninja theory to look at everything as "unfortunate" or "bad impression". I'll stay with ZweiLove on that one. Most people are nuts. Taking Antoniades' statements as personal insult is ludicrous to me. The first time I read it, I seriously laughed out loud.

It's not besides the point. You wanted to know why people call him Donte, and i told you the truth.
"said some things". How about you say it as it is - he disrespected fans. How does these quote not show that:

"I don't care" (about fans reaction) He shouldn't. If people call you a fagot, you tend to ignore them.
"We got our plan and we are not changing it " (Does that their plan involve not listening to fans?) Why would they? They invested a crapload of money into the game and now they're supposed to change it halfway through? Think that through again.
"Those who are skeptics secretly want to like DmC" Not exactly his best statement, I'll give you that.
"Dante is not cool" Amen.

Just like Ninja theory and Capcom you avoid saying setences. Such as saying "They disrespected fans yes". Just like how Ninja theory and Capcom don't dare to say "This is a new Dante and new DmC, but with same gameplay" because that would distance DmC Dante from DMC Dante making it bad for sales.
What?

No, i am not saying that it's right thing to make up chidlish names. But stop being so darn surprised. When you disrespect people, you get disrespectful things back.
Sure, but to disrespect people, you have to outright insult them. I don't take offense in any of his statements, why would I?

Surrounding DmC controversy those in DMC fanbase who have showed dislike of DmC has been called ignorant, narrowminded, immature and childlish. And you think they aren't?
Not to mention they are also sending so called death threats that nobody have seen. See above, get your facts straight.

But Tameem isn't anything. He's just been unfortunate and gave a bad impression. But hey DmC is aimed at a new fanbase (Ninja theory's plus causal gamers). DMC fans are pretty much leftovers that can buy them game if they like.
No. Just no.

They were far from honest and humble in this project. And if they had some of that they would see that people aren't hateful for no reason. excuse my language, but what the **** are you talking about, dude....

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
So what you are saying is: There are no death threats, even though the facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/devilmaycry?sk=wall) is literally littered with them? It took me like 5 minutes to spot comments like "NT: you will die for what you've done!". 5 minutes. It's that easy to find this stuff.

Yeah, well, go to facebook and be in for a surprise.

No, you said:

I would've taken your comment exactly the same way.
The death threats don't exist if i haven't seen them. That is what i meant. It's like going to war to IRak because they are supposedly nuclear weapons being produced. Oh wait they did that...

Now i don't have a facebook profile. Can you find at least 1 facebook comment that is a death threat?

I am not i am certain they haven't received death threats, but i think they are taking the anti DmC stuff they were sent out of proportion.

But find me one Facebook death threat if that's not to much to ask

ReRave

smug jerk
The death threats don't exist if i haven't seen them. Then you might wanna inform yourself about it next time.

That is what i meant. It's like going to war to IRak because they are supposedly nuclear weapons being produced. Oh wait they did that... Yeah, right. Accusing fans of of overreacting is absolutely the same as invading Irak.

Now i don't have a facebook profile. Can you find at least 1 facebook comment that is a death threat? Read my post again, I quoted one.

I am not i am certain they haven't received death threats, but i think they are taking the anti DmC stuff they were sent out of proportion. Yeah, "Die, Tameem you faggot" (quote from two weeks ago, facebook), how would one take that too seriously?

But find me one Facebook death threat if that's not to much to ask
Fandrawn picture of DMC3 Dante pointing a gun towards the screen.
Comment:
"I hope Tameem stands before him right now"
I don't dare to post the posters name, since that's a felony, but you should get my drift by now.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I don't see what the big freaken deal is about this.

So they gave him a nickname...

Is it really worth getting butthurt over it?

Like I said in the other topic, If fans are giving him a nickname to distinguish himself from the original than that is ok. But if they are doing to to be azzhats than thats not ok, but even then, its no big deal. why should you care to start something over a silly nickname?

Reactions: Meg

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
How can i inform myself about something that i have no access to? How stupid. I am telling you i need to see (comic) and hear (anti DmC metal song) before i can judge if it's death threat or just stuff taken out of proportion.

Fans overreacting? I am just saying that just because they have reported that they have received death threats it does not mean it's death threats. Just like how in Irak there was no nuclear weapons. Can't you comphrend my point? How silly...you think i am comparing fans reaction and Irak war.

NT: you will die for what you've done!
Fandrawn picture of DMC3 Dante pointing a gun towards the screen.
Comment:
"I hope Tameem stands before him right now"
All of those above are just you repeating things. Tell me where, what page etc.

I will then look them up.
Read above.

ReRave

smug jerk
How can i inform myself about something that i have no access to? How stupid. I am telling you i need to see (comic) and hear (anti DmC metal song) before i can judge if it's death threat or just stuff taken out of proportion.
I told you, that those threats are real and I quoted some from the facebook page. There is literally nothing more I can actually do.

How silly...you think i am comparing fans reaction and Irak war.
Yeah, about that: you did that.

All of those above are just you repeating things.I gave you one example. Then I gave you another one. I don't think you know what "to repeat" means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom