• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC 2 Officially Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Well considering the information that i've posted pretty much seals the deal on Capcom not handing ANY of their IP's to western developers, let alone NT, anymore i can safely say that DmC2 ain't happenin and if it does it won't be anything like DmC was.
Where there is hope, there is a way. And it didn't say all western developers [at least it didn't use those exact words if I remember] it doesn't matter if it's Capcom and Ninja Theory that make it, what matters is it exists. Devil May Cry must not die like Megaman.

Now, join me brothers!...er, and sisters!

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Where there is hope, there is a way. And it didn't say all western developers [at least it didn't use those exact words if I remember] it doesn't matter if it's Capcom and Ninja Theory that make it, what matters is it exists. Devil May Cry must not die like Megaman.

Now, join me brothers!...er, and sisters!

Nope, Capcom is cutting ties with ALL western developers, they blame them for the shortcomings of the games developed.

If Capcom make it, they'll likely make it in-house.

Nope, Capcom is cutting ties with ALL western developers, they blame them for the shortcomings of the games developed.

If Capcom make it, they'll likely make it in-house.

So when this turns out to be false, and a western developed game comes out from Capcom, you will come back and apologize right? And I guess Remember Me is getting cancelled according to your absolutist logic.

Rayl

So when this turns out to be false, and a western developed game comes out from Capcom, you will come back and apologize right? And I guess Remember Me is getting cancelled according to your absolutist logic.

Oh get over yourself for crying out loud you antagonist prick, i'm not presenting an opinion here, this is something Capcom themselves have said. If they turn around and start working with a western developer, i ain't coming back here to apologise, i'm coming back to mock them for talking **** about western developers and then coming back because they can't handle **** by themselves.

Oh get over yourself for crying out loud you antagonist prick, i'm not presenting an opinion here, this is something Capcom themselves have said. If they turn around and start working with a western developer, i ain't coming back here to apologise, i'm coming back to mock them for talking (****) about western developers and then coming back because they can't handle (****) by themselves.
Take your own advice, take a deep breath, and stop the name calling.

Back on topic.

I posted this before, but it may help better explain the kind of outsourcing they were likely referring to:

"The game's exec producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi said that Capcom has around 150 people working on the game within Japan, and over 600 employees in total around the world involved in the title to some degree."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/333446/resident-evil-6-capcoms-largest-scale-production-ever/

I know some people will think I'm just blindly defending DmC or Ninja Theory, but I really don't believe this statement refers to that game or how it was developed. I think the outsourcing statement probably refers more to the bit of information above. The development of games with massive teams spread out all over the world will always results in a game that lacks cohesiveness and as a result overall quality. An obvious and important lesson you think most game companies would get through their heads, but it always takes significant losses for them to understand.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6

The next game in any of their franchises shouldn't require pieces of the game to be developed all over the world. When they hire a developer, western, eastern, or otherwise, that should be the only and main developer, if they want to have a small number of creative consultants to oversea an outside developer like DmC did (I believe it was 10 capcom overseers) that is okay, but having 450 people around the world making pieces of a game to put together is NOT.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dmc-devil-may-cry

Also, for future games developed outside, their should be a contractual requirement for the developers hired that there be no outsourcing, because look at what Gearbox did to sega, they outsourced the aliens game to timegate, when THEY themselves were hired by SEGA to make the game. If Sega wanted TIMEGATE, I'd assume they could have just paid timegate to develop the game.

Also, the term "outsourcing" generally refers to the practice of finding "cheaper" studios to do secondary work on major titles, that's why I think it doesn't necessarily refer to DmC, because that wasn't given to Ninja Theory in order for Capcom to save money. If anything DmC was given a larger budget and likely cost more since it was a total reboot requiring the creation of new art and animation assets; the most expensive part of new game development.

However, even if the above is true,, the loss they booked due to restructuring is substantial (Around 70 million dollars), so it is possible that a lot of future games including DmC2, regardless of quality, may have been victim to an overall policy change,.which to fans like me would be pretty crappy.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Even if Capcom return all game making back to Japan....can they actually do that? It would mean cutting ties with a lot of foreigners and I don't think Capcom can afford to be an insular Japanese company anymore in a global market. It needs to open up to outside influence or else it runs the risk of churning out variations of the same game. There's only so much a select team of people can think of before their ideas go stale.....which is kinda why they went for this DmC reboot. They wanted new design ideas that they could not do themselves.

Plus would they have to restructure their studios? Presumably hire more people and other factors I haven't considered with such a big change in where games are made.They haven't made many games completely in house for a while because they have relied on outside help. So do they have the numbers in Japan to do that?

So even if they return all production to Japan....wouldn't it take a while to do?

Rayl

Even if Capcom return all game making back to Japan....can they actually do that? It would mean cutting ties with a lot of foreigners and I don't think Capcom can afford to be an insular Japanese company anymore in a global market. It needs to open up to outside influence or else it runs the risk of churning out variations of the same game. There's only so much a select team of people can think of before their ideas go stale.....which is kinda why they went for this DmC reboot. They wanted new design ideas that they could not do themselves.

Plus would they have to restructure their studios? Presumably hire more people and other factors I haven't considered with such a big change in where games are made.They haven't made many games completely in house for a while because they have relied on outside help. So do they have the numbers in Japan to do that?

So even if they return all production to Japan....wouldn't it take a while to do?

I would assume since they only said western developers that they would do a mix of in-house and other japanese developers, if they honestly believe that western developers are to blame then it's not hard to imagine that they'll want to prove it, regardless of what needs to be done to do so.

Whether they'll succeed or not, well that's a thing that only time can tell, no?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I would assume since they only said western developers that they would do a mix of in-house and other japanese developers, if they honestly believe that western developers are to blame then it's not hard to imagine that they'll want to prove it, regardless of what needs to be done to do so.
I think so long as they keep ties with other companies, even if they are exclusively Japanese is a good thing. I just don't want to think about Capcom closing themselves off.
I hope they know how to do this right so that they can prove that Capcom is returning to how it used to be.
Whether they'll succeed or not, well that's a thing that only time can tell, no?
Exactly. And if this doesn't work, they can't blame anyone but themselves. After saying that though, I do want them to succeed. Failure for Capcom would have an effect on the gaming world.

Rayl

Exactly. And if this doesn't work, they can't blame anyone but themselves. After saying that though, I do want them to succeed. Failure for Capcom would have an effect on the gaming world.

I kinda agree? Don't get me wrong, if Capcom succeeds, it means we've got some great games to look forward to but it also means we've got even MORE DLC bullshit to deal with. But that's something to deal with as the time comes i suppose.

But after talking **** as they've done and with the whole Megaman business as well, a part of me wants to see them fall flat on their faces.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I kinda agree? Don't get me wrong, if Capcom succeeds, it means we've got some great games to look forward to but it also means we've got even MORE DLC bullshit to deal with. But that's something to deal with as the time comes i suppose.
Oh, I didn't think of the DLC when I said that>_< Maybe they have learned after what happened with that Tekken+Streetfighter DLC fiasco that this is not what fans want? I hope they have learned their lesson.
But after talking **** as they've done and with the whole Megaman business as well, a part of me wants to see them fall flat on their faces.
Only reason I don't is because it's not the fault of the artists, animators and all other jobs associated with making a game. These choices, like the megaman one, are done by a few people at the top. And I don't want the bad choices of a few to affect the jobs of many in the Capcom company.

Rayl

Only reason I don't is because it's not the fault of the artists, animators and all other jobs associated with making a game. These choices, like the megaman one, are done by a few people at the top. And I don't want the bad choices of a few to affect the jobs of many in the Capcom company.

And again, i agree that's the only thing that stops it from only a part of me that thinks that way.

As for the DLC, alongside the announcement that they were cutting ties with the western developers, they also announced that they were going to actually INCREASE DLC believe it or not, i know, it's madness right?

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
Yeah it really sucks that their jobs are effected by the stupid descisions made by the big guys. Sadly, that's life though.

Still, Capcom isn't my favorite company atm. Never was and now, never will be. So I'm a little torn.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
And again, i agree that's the only thing that stops it from only a part of me that thinks that way.

As for the DLC, alongside the announcement that they were cutting ties with the western developers, they also announced that they were going to actually INCREASE DLC believe it or not, i know, it's madness right?
Wow. I'm surprised they want to do more DLC. I really thought they had considered the wishes of the fans with regard to this. Looks like maybe they do not learn from their past mistakes.

Rayl

Wow. I'm surprised they want to do more DLC. I really thought they had considered the wishes of the fans with regard to this. Looks like maybe they do not learn from their past mistakes.

It's really what i've been saying since i posted the news, i have no faith in Capcom's ability to make the right decision in regards to it's customers or it's fans, i don't see how they think sticking to this DLC bullshit will pay off for them, when all it's done is ROYALLY **** people off.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
It's really what i've been saying since i posted the news, i have no faith in Capcom's ability to make the right decision in regards to it's customers or it's fans, i don't see how they think sticking to this DLC bullshit will pay off for them, when all it's done is ROYALLY **** people off.
I guess the only way to get Capcom to listen is not buy the DLC. But I know not everyone would stop buying it.

I know they've made some bad choices these past few years, but I really hope they can learn from them. If not...well there's only one way to go, and that is down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom