• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC 2 Officially Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If not...well there's only one way to go, and that is down.
What else were you expecting? The whole game industry (along with the economy) is headed for a crash.

Moviebob said that this DLC and DRM business is just a way to squeeze out as much money as possible before dumping their stocks and getting out of the industry while they still have their money. That's what offshore banking is for (among other things).

IncarnatedDemon

I guess the only way to get Capcom to listen is not buy the DLC. But I know not everyone would stop buying it.

I know they've made some bad choices these past few years, but I really hope they can learn from them. If not...well there's only one way to go, and that is down.
I believe the main issue is Call of Duty kids. I hear COD sells near 10m units? Or at least over 5M each time?

Call of Duty is not a bad game. But it's not innovating.
I dont hate it. I dont like it to much. I played it ALOT!

Getting to my point.
I bet majority of the number comes from kids. You constantly hear kids on the game, and i've seen kids play the game.
Th issue with COD is that the company sells maps, weapons and other stuff. And kids buy them.

These kids who play COD grow up buying stuff they shouldnt have to pay for. They grow up with a indifferent attitude towards bad company practices such as fake DLC and microtransaction.

Therefor i think COD is a factor to how Gaming industry has gone downwards.
I think we adults should enlighten the kids, so that we can influence them to make right decisions.
If we dont Gaming industry will be plagued with future gamers who have grown up thinking withheld content sold as DLC is ok.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
What else were you expecting? The whole game industry (not to mention the economy) is headed for a crash.
If they can't change...I wouldn't be expecting anything more than down.
Moviebob said that this DLC and DRM is just a way to squeeze out as much money as possible before dumping their stocks and getting out of the industry while they still have their money. That's what offshore banking is for (among other things).
It is a way to get extra money for minimal effort in most cases. If people don't like it, don't buy it.

I believe the main issue is Call of Duty kids. I hear COD sells near 10m units? Or at least over 5M each time?
And the other problem is that gaming companies want to compete with this.
Call of Duty is not a bad game. But it's not innovating.
I dont hate it. I dont like it to much. I played it ALOT!
It's nothing new, they just churn out the same with only a few small changes. But somehow it works and sells well each time.
Getting to my point.
I bet majority of the number comes from kids. You constantly hear kids on the game, and i've seen kids play the game.
Th issue with COD is that the company sells maps, weapons and other stuff. And kids buy them.
Thing is, they know they can get kids to do this. It's a case of 'get them while they're young'.

These kids who play COD grow up buying stuff they shouldnt have to pay for. They grow up with a indifferent attitude towards bad company practices such as fake DLC and microtransaction.
Exactly, if a company can get away with selling DLC to a child, then why not an adult when that child is older.

I think we adults should enlighten the kids, so that we can influence them to make right decisions.
If we dont Gaming industry will be plagued with future gamers who have grown up thinking withheld content sold as DLC is ok.
That's why they do it. Get them to rely on DLC as children because they know that they will have willing adult DLC buyer when these children are adults.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

I actually agree with this post. But I don't think younger people will be so easily swayed.

And that explains why they sell so much. To be honest, I thought it was mostly adults and maybe 30% children at the very most.

I honestly don't have hope, though. There's only one way to fix this (now that we're at a fiscal cliff). And that way is to just start over once everyone has crashed.

Edit:

long story short, agree with this.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
You say we should enlighten them but the fact of the matter is this:

1: They won't listen, kids are the biggest bandwagon jumpers. If it's considered the cool thing to do then they want a piece of that action. Granted kids aren't the only ones who do it. I mean, hell, I play CoD on occasion, it's fun when you've got a bunch of mates playing it afterall.

2: They shouldn't be playing CoD in the first place, it's another discussion for another thread but CoD's sales would take a pretty big dive if parents actually stopped their kids from buying games that are rated higher then their age, it would also help if retailers would actually stop doing it as well.

Thinking about it actually, CoD itself would improve 5000% without having kids playing, screaming down their mics after they get schooled by somebody more experienced then them.

IncarnatedDemon

But we are gamers, we can affect kids. We know better than them.
If we explain to them why DLC is bad they will understand.

We simply need to explain it in their language.

I think as gamer we should all try to explain to kids in our daily life who play games, why DLC and microtransaction is bad. And those who are famous Youtubers should do so as well.

And here is two DLC/Microtransactions video that is related to Gaming Industry:

We may not make all kids aware, but i am sure if gamers in Gaming industry engaged themself in enlightening kids - we would be successful.
We could even enlighten the parents as well. Tell them how kids playing a compettive game like COD can be bad for the kids development.

It's my theory that COD has a negative impact on kids development. It puts them into a tough compettive enviroment. Kids shouldn't have to think about whos the best or the winner.
All they should think of is ...having fun.

Games like Spyro, Rayman, 40 Winks, etc are all great games. And it's very good for kids to play.
or how about Mario? Or Banjoo bear with a bird in his backpack game?

So many awesome children friendly games :)

OOOH!! NI NO KUNI!!!!

Ni No Kuni tells the tale of a boy who goes through everything to save his mother. It is a inspiration for how a human...or a kid should be like. Kind hearted. Just look at this trailer!

Watching that trailer fills me up with love. And i think thats what a kids heart should be filled with instead of the ruthless competition of COD.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
But we are gamers, we can affect kids. We know better than them.

And we're back to disagreeing again. I don't think we "know better" than they do, necessarily.

Look at the world we left for them. They have to clean up our mess because we weren't responsible.

"Know better" than most kids? Sure. All of them. Definitely not. There's a good percentage of them that's going to go on ahead and fix at least a few of the problems plaguing society as a whole. COD is the least of our problems.

Edit:

We could even enlighten the parents as well. Tell them how kids playing a compettive game like COD can be bad for the kids development
That's veering dangerously close to relying on government interference to tell them how to raise their kids.

Let the parents raise their own kids however they want. If we interfere, then next we'll be telling them what to eat, wear and think.

0151660387.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And we would be doing it all "for their own good." :/

That's just plain wrong.

IncarnatedDemon

And we're back to disagreeing again. I don't think we "know better" than they do, necessarily.

Look at the world we left for them. They have to clean up our mess because we weren't responsible.

"Know better" than most kids? Sure. All of them. Definitely not. There's a good percentage of them that's going to go on ahead and fix at least a few of the problems plaguing society as a whole. COD is the least of our problems.
All i am saying is that if we want to change Gaming industry for the better.

If we want to walk that path, then we must tackle COD kids.

We must show them there are great games besides Call of Duty.
And that playing games isn't to be the winner or best, but to have fun.

And we can point them to games that are fun and for kids and adults.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
There are mature adults and mature teenagers, same as there are immature ones. We can't just say all teenagers are idiots who don't know better. Same as saying all adults are mature and know what they are doing. Clearly some adults have no clue what they are doing....
Yep, people in their early 20s are now having to cope because of choices made by the generation before. And the next generation will have to cope with choices made by my generation. It's like a never ending cycle.
Yep, it depends which teenagers we're talking about. We don't know better than all of them. I see very bright teenagers and very badly behaving ones. There's a mixture. So we can't paint them all with the same brush.

And from my experience, the more you tell a teenager not to do something, the more they want to do it.;) Not all, but quite a few are like this.

All i am saying is that if we want to change Gaming industry for the better.

If we want to walk that path, then we must tackle COD kids.
Tackle the parents of these teenagers as well. They are the ones buying the game for teenagers who are below the age rating.
We must show them there are great games besides Call of Duty.
It's all very well showing them. But will they listen? I don't know....
It's all very nice in theory, but pulling it off and convincing them would be very hard.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

I think they're perfectly capable of doing that on their own. Besides, the FPS market has reached critical mass and is ready to implode. The audience is ready to move on to something else. The increased sales in indie gaming have proved this.

It's mostly just young, immature, people who play COD religiously. It's only a matter of time before they realize what a waste of time it is anyway.

IncarnatedDemon

I think telling a parent that their kid between 6-11 year old should not play a game made for 16-18 year olds would be enough for them to understand.

Instead they should buy kid friendly games. Their kids may be angry at them for a while, but in the end they will stop being angry.
That's called good parenting. Giving your kid whatever game he or she points at is the opposite.
And if a parent who isnt doing their job of paying attention what games the kid plays, then they dam well better listen to people who want to give advice to them for their own and children sake.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Yep, it depends which teenagers we're talking about. We don't know better than all of them. I see very bright teenagers and very badly behaving ones. There's a mixture. So we can't paint them all with the same brush.

That's what I've been saying. Most aren't going to be responsible (maybe later on in life once they've realized their mistakes, but not now) but some will. And that whole "disobeying" just for the sake of disobeying falls right in line with me telling people to just take care of themselves.

Set a few guidelines, and if they don't follow -- don't help them out of whatever problems they get into because of the fact that they didn't follow those very guidelines.

That way, they'll learn both their "life-lesson" and self-reliance in one fell swoop.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I think telling a parent that their kid between 6-11 year old should not play a game made for 16-18 year olds would be enough for them to understand.

A lot of gamestop, walmart, and other store employees already do this (not all of them, but at least more than half). There's no need to get involved if we don't work there.

And I don't want all games to get cut out. They'd be missing out on a lot of great third-person action games simply because we thought we knew "what's best for them".

On that subject:

Edit: This seems kid-friendly enough.

I know not all action games are rated "M", but most are. We have to decide for ourselves what is appropriate, and not have someone else do it for us.

You joking in this one. Right Unknown?

No. Let them take care of themselves. That's the only way they'll learn.

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 sells 7.5M in 1 month

Doesn't look like it's going to go down to below 5m anytime soon.

Check the charts again. It sold less than the first Black Ops. It's dying... slowly but surely.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Not just 11 year olds, but anyone 15 or under should not be playing. If the age rating is 16 years, only teenagers 16 years and up should play.

Instead they should buy kid friendly games. Their kids may be angry at them for a while, but in the end they will stop being angry.
If buying COD makes their child like them, they will buy it. And adult does not like it when their child is angry at them. Espcially when the adult is so busy at work. The adults buy the games instead of spending time with children.
And even if a parent is strong enough to say no to buying a game like COD, the teenager would go to a friend who's parents bought the game for them and play it there.
That's called good parenting. Giving your kid whatever game he or she points at is the opposite.
Good parenting is setting boundaries and giving discipline, not buying child's love with games. That's why we're in this mess. Parents buy anything for their children because they feel guilty for working long hours and not spending time with children.
And if a parent who isnt doing their job of paying attention what games the kid plays, then they dam well better listen to people who want to give advice to them for their own and children sake.
If someone is criticising their child, or how they parent, most adults do not listen. They go on the defence because they do not like to hear others opinions on how to raise their child.
They especially would not listen to childless teenagers. In their eyes, what experience does a teenager have with raising children as they are still children themselves.
They would say 'talk to me again when you have grown up and had your own children.'

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
That's actually what I was thinking deep down, but I didn't want to put ID on the spot. :X
Heck, I wouldn't tell my friends how to raise their children and I'm not even a teenager. I don't have any of my own, and while I'm close to their children, I would never dream of telling them how to do it. It's causes too many disagreements, especially as I don't have my own children.

Then again, I think sometimes it is easier to see problems if you are outside them. Being inside problems sometimes leads to ignoring them or not seeing problems when they happen. Especially when the problem is inside the family. People just don't like to shatter the image of perfect family that they have created.They go into denial.
I've seen parents say their children were not bullies, even though it was proven, just so that the parent can maintain the image of having a perfect and happy family.

IncarnatedDemon

If someone is criticising their child, or how they parent, most adults do not listen. They go on the defence because they do not like to hear others opinions on how to raise their child.
They especially would not listen to childless teenagers. In their eyes, what experience does a teenager have with raising children as they are still children themselves.
They would say 'talk to me again when you have grown up and had your own children.'
Depends on how you approach it giving advice to parents. If you do it in a way that implies you think they are bad parents, then yes they will feel offended.

But it's possible to give advice to parents without offending them.

There is a clear contrast between:
1. You making a video called "How to Raise a Gamer (advices)"
2. You in real life telling a parent "You should stop buying your kids those games".

Option 2 being a bad choice.

By making a video where you give advice on how to deal with a kid playing games parents who want help will have that option.
And your video won't point anyone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom