• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your Devil May Cry Movie plot

I Make The Devils Cry

Talk about digging up the past. The last reply to this was over a year ago, not to forget in a few days the thread itself will be two years old... Speaking of which; I'm not sure what was going through my head back then, but my idea for a Devil May Cry movie is just horrid. Some good ideas, surrounded by more than a few questionable ones and a sight more simply bad ones.

Personally now, if I had the resources to make a Devil May Cry movie I'd prefer to focus on Vergil's story rather than Dante's. Whether it's from the classic or new continuity, we know Dante's story well enough, but Vergil's is unexplored territory as far as the series goes. Not an origin story, but something that simply explores the character and his past.

Whereas Dante set out to protect humanity, why does Vergil seek to conquer it? Why is he so obsessed with power and domination? What set him on this path? What happened to Vergil to make him the man he is?

All of these questions, and more, simply haven't been answered, or at least not in the same regard they could, and should, be.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
I'd just adapt DMC3 with the game actors. Probably make some of the subtle themes a little more obvious so idiots would stop saying the series plot is bad/nonexistent. If sequels were possible, I'd do 1, 4 and 2 afterwards.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Talk about digging up the past. The last reply to this was over a year ago, not to forget in a few days the thread itself will be two years old..
Considering the person who bumped this thread back up from the graveyard is the same person who created the thread, it's OKAY. You're not exactly new around here so you should know the forum rules by now? Being a thread-starter has its privileges, one of them being the right and authority to contribute/continue a thread you've started. Unless the rules have changed and I'm unaware of that.

outoftheblue

I jumped in with DMC3 Dante so I'm more a fan off the idea of Young Dante learning how to live his life and what to stand for rather than watching Old Dante being more dull than dishwater( ex. the anime)

so I rather look at Buffy/Angel or the Marvel Universe for inspiration with the classics and how to tackle characters since Dante feels more like Star-lord from the Guardian of the Galaxy movie or Spike from Buffy (the coolest vampire alive)

The classic series is more skeleton in regards to background info, world building, character info so you have a lot of freedom in creating DMC-verse. You can even edit together the disjointed adventures the canon series tends to feel like, making it a little more cohesive.

on that note, I'd be more into filling out the holes in Dante's past by exploring how he was raised after his mom's death or what he did before/after the stories we have.

Its tricky to introduce DmC into the classic franchise since its a drastically different kind of story.

For example, Having Demons enslave Humanity for thousands of years through Limbo makes Sparda look like a chump. Plus you would have to create whole new characters to fill DmC Mundus/DmC Vergil's roles because the classic version wouldn't act like their reboot counterparts.

So in terms of character design I rather stick to these two examples as references. There a lil closer to reality and less busy/arbitrary than what Dante usually looks like-
http://jarein.deviantart.com/art/Dante-Improved-Redesign-252201566

I agree qith about almost everything you said.
If Capcom wants to turn DMC into their new Resident Evil movie franchise, I would like it to explore the twin childhood after Eva´s death and see how they survived, how they became their DMC3 personas.
There´s a lot of material from the first novel that could be perfectly used without contradicting actual canon about Dante´s years as mercenary.
The rest could be all about regular missions with backstory and investigation about Sparda´s rebellion, his life among humans, his death, the whole legacy etc and how that influences the twins , their goals and the decissions they make.

I don´t think it´s a good idea to mix both universe. They are too different to work well together.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I agree qith about almost everything you said.
If Capcom wants to turn DMC into their new Resident Evil movie franchise, I would like it to explore the twin childhood after Eva´s death and see how they survived, how they became their DMC3 personas.
There´s a lot of material from the first novel that could be perfectly used without contradicting actual canon about Dante´s years as mercenary.
The rest could be all about regular missions with backstory and investigation about Sparda´s rebellion, his life among humans, his death, the whole legacy etc and how that influences the twins , their goals and the decissions they make.

I don´t think it´s a good idea to mix both universe. They are too different to work well together.
Thanks for the like.

I'm not totally against adapting DMC straight out of the games but the stories need a little fixing up. Ideally the movies would be like the hellboy franchise and alternate between being an adaptation in one film and the next would be an all new tale set in the gap between the stories. This would work better in TV but its not undoable in film.

your advocating a whole prequel approach like Smallville and Gotham but doing a prequel in DMC is a lot of creating a bunch of stuff from scratch because we dont really have a ton of things that need to happen so its more malleable so it can work out better.

I think you can introduce aspects of the reboot like the social satire, the contemporary setting, the gritty past etc because those things could have happened in the classic universe, the writers just never built on it. But other aspects like the angel-demon conflict, Limbo, the world is a lie wont really work.

It becomes like any other adaptation, a give and take while trying to find a good middle ground type thing.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Seeing DMC 4's special edition, will there be any hope in mixing both DMC & DmC together somehow into a movie?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I would make the plot a lot like DmC actually.
Though with some elements from the original series.
Such as
  • Dante and Vergil's mom is human
  • Sparda rebelled against Mundus (I like the legend of Sparda more then the whole "Demon loved an angel" story)
  • Dante and Vergil's Devil Trigger actually turns them into demons
  • Mundus' demon form
  • Rebellion, Yamato, and Ebony and Ivory's designs
  • Kat and Lady would essentially be merged together
  • The demons would be more along the lines of DMC3 (Grim Reaper-like like the Hells for example)
  • Dante's appearance would be his standard costume from the end of the game (E:I: Default outfit, with white hair, and the slightly longer hair style)
Edit: Normally my choices to play Dante are either Ian Somerhalder or Chris Evans, but I think they're both too old for young Dante

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I remember a long while back, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I actually tried to write my own attempt at what I wanted in a DMC movie, one that was essentially a re-telling of the series with a larger emphasis on the demon mythos, with Dante having a very different personality and being surrounded by a completely different set of characters, in that
Gothic-noir setting from DMC1.

I have no idea where it went after I stopped working on it, but it's the closest thing to my realized dream of a DMC movie.

If that ever turned into a film, I wouldn't want it to be live-action. I'd rather it'd be a darkly-styled animation like Spawn HBO or Wicked City.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Story from Devil May Cry 1, one that actually was based on Divine Comedy. Dante who guided by Trish travels hell to find Devil aka Munduss while confronting corrupted Vergil. Adding flashbacks from Dante's and Vergil's childhoods. Also their journey may start at the human world, and go absurder and darker, until he reaches very depth of Hell. No Lady, Nero or other later characters, let them be in sequels. Vergil mustn't necessary die in the end. It would be nice to have him for sequels

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I would make the plot a lot like DmC actually.
Though with some elements from the original series.
Such as
  • Dante and Vergil's mom is human
  • Sparda rebelled against Mundus (I like the legend of Sparda more then the whole "Demon loved an angel" story)
  • Dante and Vergil's Devil Trigger actually turns them into demons
  • Mundus' demon form
  • Rebellion, Yamato, and Ebony and Ivory's designs
  • Kat and Lady would essentially be merged together
  • The demons would be more along the lines of DMC3 (Grim Reaper-like like the Hells for example)
  • Dante's appearance would be his standard costume from the end of the game (E:I: Default outfit, with white hair, and the slightly longer hair style)
Edit: Normally my choices to play Dante are either Ian Somerhalder or Chris Evans, but I think they're both too old for young Dante
So basically just turn it into the the original Devil May Cry.
@WolfOD64
Just imagine a 3D animated movie, done with the current version of MT Framework.
I rather they use what was used for that one Resident Evil movie or with FFVII Advent Children because if you mean the current MT framework they used for DMC4:SE I'd rather not have to see choppy shadows, and plastic-looking graphics.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
to facilitate the idea of mixing of DmC/DMC, here is a list of things that can work/unsure of how/can't work.

just things to keep in mind and if you want to debate, add, question etc feel free

Can work-
  • Contemporary setting- In the manual for the first game, it said he lived in modern day North America.
  • Gritty past- In the first light novel, Dante was a hotshot mercenary named Tony Redgrave and you don't get to be a hotshot mercenary by being a nice guy who went to college and worked 9-5 at retail. A hard knock life just fits better to me as it provides how he got trained, lived, spends his days etc. Plus it could be a plot point in DMC3 as Lady could call him out for not making good lifestyle choices as a reason not to trust him and much better than her repeating he's half demon ad nauseum (once was enough)
  • Social Satire-a one-shot villain like Bardas or Lilith would fit as an episodic threat or a minion to a big bad so you could fit one in the manga/anime or DMC2 adaptation if you wanna spice them up (the anime needs it)
Unsure of-
  • Angel/demon war- DmC didn't use the idea to good effect as angels had a limited presence in game with no real mention or discussion outside they exist. Its as wishy washy as how Nero's origins were handled in 4 so expand on it if you want to bring that over.
  • Social Commentary- This is a hard thing in general to tackle and its really easy to screw up. It's ambitious for DMC so I rather focus on fleshing out the world and it's characters because both are pretty vague.
  1. Maybe making Dante's actions affect society as a whole could be a way of touching on it as people should have freaked out by Temen-ni-gru more.
  2. Giving characters a specific nationality could help (think metal Gear or Persona 4)

Can't work-
  • Demons ruling the world for thousands of years- It makes Sparda looks like a chump if you want him to be "the legendary dark knight". Best thing is just give limbo a different purpose that demons corrupted after Sparda's death.
  • Mundus and Vergil as villains- if you put the story of DmC after DMC3 then the classic versions of Vergil/Mundus wouldn't work. Mundus doesn't seem the sort to care about ruling through debt and Vergil would be brainwashed as Nelo Angelo so maybe creating new characters to full these roles could be something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom