• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the Nero hate?

Zarathustra

The Forsaken Offspring of Heaven and Hell
I never truly understood this myself, but then again, I stopped caring cuz every time I asked a hater, I'd get a stupid reason like "He's whiny", or, "He's not Dante", or "Dante's better", and blah blah blah. No. These are ****ty, biased reasons that prove that you're another person not willing to accept changes. Tell me what's so bad in detail, so I can actually understand why you hate the character, or the story, or the game in general. Don't dodge the bullet by giving me something as stupid as saying, "He's wearing blue", or "He can't combo" or whatever. That's an answer I'd expect from a 5 year old who jumped in on the bandwagon in the middle of a season of something like Gundam or whatever and doesn't even understand the story. Give me legitimate reasons.

Age of Nero

The End is the Beginning is the End!
The way I see it, most of the Nero dislike harbors from the fact he takes the games' spotlight away from Dante, which I actually understand and is rather justifiable. But as a character, I find him likable, personality-wise at least, and ignoring the fact we know next to nothing about his story.

Nero just seemed to me like a better version of DMC3 young Dante: he was cocky, sylish and trash-talk, but had none of that arrogant, indiferent and prickish attitude that Dante had towards everyone and everything. He actually seemed to have a sense of responsibility, actually cared for other people from the start and, most importantly, he had a struggle, something DMC3 Dante lacked for the most part. Every good hero, video game or not, has to have a struggle to be interesting, IMO, even if it's something trivial. Dante fans were probably too fond of the idea of a hero not giving a crap about anything and just doing things for fun than when they made the contrast, Nero looked too angsty. But I think he fulfilled his role as central protagonist much better than Dante ever has, and surprisingly, Dante fulfilled his new role as deuteragonist perfectly. I can't honestly see how DMC4 would have worked if it had been all about Dante going to fight the Order of the Sword just because, while Nero is the one with a story full of conflict (just think, DMC2 all over again, where Lucia was the one with the conflict, while Dante just happened to be there).
VERY interesting- yes, this is also why I already favor Nero- non arrogance & doesn't fight for fun. But DMC 2 I've never played, but heard it wasn't the greatest... I'm hoping to try 1, 2 & 3 soon!

Zarathustra

The Forsaken Offspring of Heaven and Hell
I myself personally like Nero a lot. Seriously, he's a likable character! The only problem I have is there is little to no backstory on him! I want to know more about his origins simply than he's a kid with a demon arm who grew up with his love interest and her older brother in a city hidden away from the rest of humanity. I liked his base-line for a story, but I wanted MORE. That's my only complaint. Otherwise, he's great!

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I have more of a preference for DMC3 Dante than Nero since I was getting dissatisfied/disinterested in the average shonen anime lead which Nero represents or reminds me of them. I just thought of Dante's arc where he had to figure out how to be a hero like his dad had more interesting than Nero's arc.

Technically you can do something similar with Nero but that's the thing, he doesn't have a unique role to fill in the franchise since the "rookie hunter" role could be filled by doing more with young Dante/Vergil. Their pasts are a blank slate so it would be easy just to bring the order as the ones who tried to raise them after she died.

I dont hate him as much as other people I've seen who wants retconned out as a dream vergil had. I just hate the plot/writing he came with since it did nothing to push the series forward, give good characterization or answer questions. The anime did that as well and it made me more than willing to try the reboot.

http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/nero-anime.9089/
i also did this thread on a potential nero anime a couple months ago.

Age of Nero

The End is the Beginning is the End!
I have more of a preference for DMC3 Dante than Nero since I was getting dissatisfied/disinterested in the average shonen anime lead which Nero represents or reminds me of them. I just thought of Dante's arc where he had to figure out how to be a hero like his dad had more interesting than Nero's arc.

Technically you can do something similar with Nero but that's the thing, he doesn't have a unique role to fill in the franchise since the "rookie hunter" role could be filled by doing more with young Dante/Vergil. Their pasts are a blank slate so it would be easy just to bring the order as the ones who tried to raise them after she died.

I dont hate him as much as other people I've seen who wants retconned out as a dream vergil had. I just hate the plot/writing he came with since it did nothing to push the series forward, give good characterization or answer questions. The anime did that as well and it made me more than willing to try the reboot.

http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/nero-anime.9089/
i also did this thread on a potential nero anime a couple months ago.
I agree here, even though I'm really big on Nero- I love Nero & DMC3's Dante near the same.

Calypso Dynamo

I never hated Nero but i always felt his inclusion somewhat puzzling, There were so many plot holes and issues with series continuity i thought it strange to add ANOTHER characters mythology to the series. Though i was however extremely disappointing with how similar he was to Dante and Vergil, it seemed almost a waste of a new character. Though i will say this I always felt that Nero's characterization was the direction they should have took Dante in, in DMC 3.

Valcorn

My only complaint with Nero was lack of moves, 2-3 extra moves to Red Queen would have helped.
Also his background is explained, by do people say it isn't? Oh, they don't accept it... so pretty much there's no answer for them.

ChaserTech

My only complaint with Nero was lack of moves, 2-3 extra moves to Red Queen would have helped.
Also his background is explained, by do people say it isn't? Oh, they don't accept it... so pretty much there's no answer for them.

Even though he doesn't have many moves, you can do a lot with him. :p

(Not trying to imply that you said this)
Although it'd be nice if he did had a bunch more to work with.

And his background was explained? Are you talking about the whole Order deal? Or possibly something else? I'd like to know. lol

Valcorn

The ****, ur great 0_0 and I'm talking about Vergil being his father, that's the only explanation given, so until there's some evidence for another one, it's settled as it is.

8BitHero

Scrub
All us males are jealous of his dashing looks, smooth moves and ability to nab himself a fine madam.
Kappa.png

ChaserTech

The ****, ur great 0_0 and I'm talking about Vergil being his father, that's the only explanation given, so until there's some evidence for another one, it's settled as it is.

lol thanks.

And alright then. I believe most people just want a full background story rather than hearing that Vergil is Nero's father and that's it. DMC is already full of plotholes to a point that Capcom doesn't seem to know where they are taking the DMC franchise. Even Legend of Zelda has a somewhat accurate timeline made by Nintendo and it's not even a direct series. Just reincarnations of The Hero of Time along with their adventures.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Only two people offically ever say that vergil was Nero's father, one being an EX-employee who wrote Deadly Fortune after he went freelance, and the other was supposedlty on localization staff at Captivate '09, which honestly is not very reliable. Considering that the Director's own timelines given makes it impossible for Vergil to be Nero's dad(both the twins were 19 in DMC3, and DMC4 is ten years later, when Nero was 19), it's pretty well debunked and merely a wishful thinking. Nero is not Vergil's love child.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
19, by word of the director; he was the same age in DMC4 that Dante was in DMC3. Deadly Fortune "estimates" about 16 to 17 based on when he was found in that version of the story.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I gave you said the sources, you have ignore them. I can't help it if you do not acknowledge the very info you asked for.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
There's no way Vergil can be Nero's father. lol The forum has been through that discussion to hell and back. Considering their ages, it's just not feasible. Vergil would've had to father Nero when he was 10 or younger.

Top Bottom