• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the Nero hate?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I liked Nero; he was a character who was a bit more human. I've heard a lot of people hated him because he 'whined' or felt that he wasn't badass enough, I guess. However, I found him to be just as sophisticated as Dante, perhaps even more. Moreover, the idea of him being the contemporary version of Sparda, with a priestess girlfriend and his predicament of having to find his path as both a human and a demon, was something I really appreciated.

Besides, how the heck can anybody dislike him? If you dislike Nero, you must dislike Dante as well, in one way or another.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
But it's more than that. It's been the premisse of the last 3 DMC titles: Human that uses demonic powers to try to become a god. Even worse is the last two because it humans using demonic power to obtain the power of Sparda in order to become a god. Once is enough, twice is forgivable, thrice? Hell, no.

Actually Arius never wanted or tried to obtain Sparda's power it was Argosax and Sanctus didn't want to become a god he wanted power to unite the world and have everyone worship Sparda or their Savior. Out of all the past villains he sold the power-hungry villain better and more uniquely.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Oh I believe you. I prefer DMC2 Dante clothes over DMC3 Dante's clothes for a few reasons myself.

I actually really like Dante's DMC2 persona. Everyone says he's emotionless, but I think that version of him is actually the most compassionate, if you think about it.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I actually really like Dante's DMC2 persona. Everyone says he's emotionless, but I think that version of him is actually the most compassionate, if you think about it.

And the most asshole of a personallity. Sometimes the most arrogant personality is the one you hide behind a poker face. Plus, Dante vs Arius had some pretty good lines

"Is there a problem?":troll:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Actually Arius never wanted or tried to obtain Sparda's power it was Argosax and Sanctus didn't want to become a god he wanted power to unite the world and have everyone worship Sparda or their Savior. Out of all the past villains he sold the power-hungry villain better and more uniquely.
Yes, I know, I said two of them, as in Arkham and Sanctus (God complex or not he was still too similar to the last two to classify as 'original'). Three want demonic power to become gods, or whatnot, two of them want Sparda's.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
people defend Nero by saying he's just like a young Dante or young Vergil or that he has the best parts of both twins but thats the problem. He reminds me too much of the twins so I rather just play as them more than play someone who just reminds me of them.

Why play a copy when you can play the original?
(note-This ain't about the romance so dont even say that)

Another reason was because the plot felt filler-ish as it didn't answer any lingering question or tie up any loose threads from the other games or even this one so now we have more to clean up.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
people defend Nero by saying he's just like a young Dante or young Vergil or that he has the best parts of both twins but thats the problem. He reminds me too much of the twins so I rather just play as them more than play someone who just reminds me of them.

Why play a copy when you can play the original?

Ohh If this was Capcom Unity and you said this...

DmC Haters, DmC haters everywhere!

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Ohh If this was Capcom Unity and you said this...

DmC Haters, DmC haters everywhere!
its like they are trained to do that. like bloodhounds.

had they just separated the playthroughts and allowed you to pick which character you wanted, nero would be hated less.

heatlancer

1# Trickster
Nero is a far more enjoyable character for the duration of DMC 4.
word, what i dont like about dmc4, dante is basically thrown aside, but nero is fun to play as, and i dont hate the character, although i agree with those that say things like "why the fuk does he exist?"

Caiden

It's true that we didn't get to learn much about Nero when Capcom probably should have thrown us a bit more of a hint during the game than just a few subtle things. Hopefully if DMC 5 ever gets made we can learn more.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I liked Nero; he was a character who was a bit more human. I've heard a lot of people hated him because he 'whined' or felt that he wasn't badass enough, I guess. However, I found him to be just as sophisticated as Dante, perhaps even more. Moreover, the idea of him being the contemporary version of Sparda, with a priestess girlfriend and his predicament of having to find his path as both a human and a demon, was something I really appreciated.

Besides, how the heck can anybody dislike him? If you dislike Nero, you must dislike Dante as well, in one way or another.

Actually you can easily hate Nero and love Dante.

Reason why???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TyxmeDBxTA&list=PL6360123BD4AA9EBF&index=2&feature=plpp_video

I'll give you an example, Lady Gaga (or was it Katey Perry) copied Madonna or is like Madonna does that mean I have to like Lady Gaga, no, I can hate her just for copying Madonna and trying to be like her in the first place....note I don't like Madonna but it is an example.

They could've easily made Nero like how Kojima made Raiden...was a rookie who could learn a lot from Snake but wasn't trying to be like Snake......although I'm fine with Nero.

ThanatosPL

Reason why???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TyxmeDBxTA&list=PL6360123BD4AA9EBF&index=2&feature=plpp_video

I'll give you an example, Lady Gaga (or was it Katey Perry) copied Madonna or is like Madonna does that mean I have to like Lady Gaga, no, I can hate her just for copying Madonna and trying to be like her in the first place....note I don't like Madonna but it is an example.

They could've easily made Nero like how Kojima made Raiden...was a rookie who could learn a lot from Snake but wasn't trying to be like Snake......although I'm fine with Nero.
Nero didnt copied Dantes behavior because he never meet him in past so he act like his own. He was similar to dante because DMC characters need to be so awesome, arogant etc... (see DmC Dante), even those he had some of his own
attitudes which he didnt share with Dante.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

Reason why???

What a terrible video. Nero acts, looks, walks and talks exactly like Dante? Hardly. I think you need to play the game again. The guy in the vid needs to, at least. Besides, the fact that he's similar to Dante is pretty logical, considering they're related.

Copies Dante... what about Vergil, then? Ever thought about him? Again, related. Or are you just a copy of your sibling? Come on, man.

White-haired guys with long coats is what the creator of the game thought was cool, that's all. That's why he didn't all of a sudden create something totally opposite to that.

Basically, what I meant was that Nero is an even better character than Dante when you consider the fact that he's got more than one or two emotions, unlike Dante. Showing emotion (like crying) isn't a weakness, you know. That some people think it is just shows how weak those people are themselves.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Basically, what I meant was that Nero is an even better character than Dante when you consider the fact that he's got more than one or two emotions, unlike Dante. Showing emotion (like crying) isn't a weakness, you know. That some people think it is just shows how weak those people are themselves.

THANK YOU! This is the point I've been trying to get across for a LONG time...

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
What a terrible video. Nero acts, looks, walks and talks exactly like Dante? Hardly. I think you need to play the game again. The guy in the vid needs to, at least. Besides, the fact that he's similar to Dante is pretty logical, considering they're related.

Copies Dante... what about Vergil, then? Ever thought about him? Again, related. Or are you just a copy of your sibling? Come on, man.

White-haired guys with long coats is what the creator of the game thought was cool, that's all. That's why he didn't all of a sudden create something totally opposite to that.

Vergil is nothing like his brother......he does have moments when he acts like him but that is reasonable because Vergil wasn't the new main character. One thing that bother's people is that if Nero is the new main character why make him pretty much like a younger Dante, Nero is more like Dante than Vergil.....Vergil is rarely cocky, wise cracking, and has an attitude that makes him stand out very more from Dante. Nero is just a younger punkish Dante.

Looks? They look about the same.

Walks? I see that whenever Nero walks he actually does walk in the same fashion as Dante with his jacket swaying and all.

Talks? Witty comebacks, cocky remarks, and a smartass attitude using lines even Dante would use "Wanna make it another 2000","Your gonna kill me for the way I tttttttalk". Only difference Nero can become more serious often and oftenly shows rage and emotion.

That was when Kamiya made it....Itsuno doesn't have the same vision as Kamiya if he did he wouldn't have asked NT to make DmC Dante looks so different if he was okay with drastically making the new Dante different why gotta make Nero be a Dante 2.0. Dante has shown emotions such as crying when Trish was presumed dead and shedding a tear for when his brother fell into hell but he doesn't like to show it and I think even Nero too. He even became enrage when Mundus killed Griffin, so Dante can even show compassion or sympathy for even his demonic foes.

I like Nero mainly because Johnny Yong Bosch voices him and his fighting style. I prefer intense and epic brutality. He too has a pretty cool personality that separates him a bit from Dante.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Vergil is nothing like his brother......he does have moments when he acts like him but that is reasonable because Vergil wasn't the new main character. One thing that bother's people is that if Nero is the new main character why make him pretty much like a younger Dante, Nero is more like Dante than Vergil.....Vergil is rarely cocky, wise cracking, and has an attitude that makes him stand out very more from Dante. Nero is just a younger punkish Dante.

Looks? They look about the same.

Walks? I see that whenever Nero walks he actually does walk in the same fashion as Dante with his jacket swaying and all.

Talks? Witty comebacks, cocky remarks, and a smartass attitude using lines even Dante would use "Wanna make it another 2000","Your gonna kill me for the way I tttttttalk". Only difference Nero can become more serious often and oftenly shows rage and emotion.

That was when Kamiya made it....Itsuno doesn't have the same vision as Kamiya if he did he wouldn't have asked NT to make DmC Dante looks so different if he was okay with drastically making the new Dante different why gotta make Nero be a Dante 2.0. Dante has shown emotions such as crying when Trish was presumed dead and shedding a tear for when his brother fell into hell but he doesn't like to show it and I think even Nero too. He even became enrage when Mundus killed Griffin, so Dante can even show compassion or sympathy for even his demonic foes.

I like Nero mainly because Johnny Yong Bosch voices him and his fighting style. I prefer intense and epic brutality. He too has a pretty cool personality that separates him a bit from Dante.

I said similar to, not the same as.

And how is Nero like a younger Dante? Nero has a personality of his own! Sure, it's similar to Dante, but what did you expect? Even Vergil is similar to Dante in many ways. He taunts enemies, he even shouts 'jackpot' with Dante in one of the last cutscenes of DMC3, remember? The main thing about Nero is that he's similar to Dante in looks. Did you view all the cutscenes from DMC4? It's quite obvious that he's not that similar to Dante.

But I see your point. Besides, did you know Nero was meant to replace Dante, because the same protagonist over and over again got boring to Capcom?

Put Vergil's coat on Dante and he walks the same as Vergil, so I don't see your point there. Yes, they look about the same... as did Sparda, Vergil and Dante.

Yeaah, see, it's simple: Nero said those lines in DMC4, and Dante didn't. And he wouldn't, either, since it's not quite his style. Dante doesn't seem as confrontational as Nero, but rather, he likes to talk around the enemy, insulting them indirectly.

Anyway, Nero's personality was meant to be somewhere in between Dante and Vergil. He even has Dante and Vergil's colors (blue and red) which in turn are derived from Sparda's color, purple. So I understand you want Nero to be either totally different from Dante or you don't want such a character to exist at all? Well, I guess we should agree to disagree :)

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I said similar to, not the same as.

And how is Nero like a younger Dante? Nero has a personality of his own! Sure, it's similar to Dante, but what did you expect? Even Vergil is similar to Dante in many ways. He taunts enemies, he even shouts 'jackpot' with Dante in one of the last cutscenes of DMC3, remember? The main thing about Nero is that he's similar to Dante in looks. Did you view all the cutscenes from DMC4? It's quite obvious that he's not that similar to Dante.

But I see your point. Besides, did you know Nero was meant to replace Dante, because the same protagonist over and over again got boring to Capcom?

Put Vergil's coat on Dante and he walks the same as Vergil, so I don't see your point there. Yes, they look about the same... as did Sparda, Vergil and Dante.

Yeaah, see, it's simple: Nero said those lines in DMC4, and Dante didn't. And he wouldn't, either, since it's not quite his style. Dante doesn't seem as confrontational as Nero, but rather, he likes to talk around the enemy, insulting them indirectly.

Anyway, Nero's personality was meant to be somewhere in between Dante and Vergil. He even has Dante and Vergil's colors (blue and red) which in turn are derived from Sparda's color, purple. So I understand you want Nero to be either totally different from Dante or you don't want such a character to exist at all? Well, I guess we should agree to disagree :)

You see Vergil was raised with Dante for 8 years and they're identical twins there are bound to be similarity between them. Nero was never raised with neither of them but around church people and a serious adoptive brother and girl pal.

That makes no sense on Dante's lines, Dante insults his enemies up to their face (literally making fun of Beowulf, calling Griffin out, insulting Dagon, cracking jokes at Sanctus, and calling Berial ugly ass, he wasn't vague or insulted around them he was straight up "I don't like you so I'll make fun of you" just like Nero).

No I like Nero.....I just don't like losing arguments/debates.

I've played DMC4 3 times and completely watched the story each time. They're different in their own right but if anything Nero is the only character whose personality is the closest to Dante (minus DMC2) in all of DMC.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You see Vergil was raised with Dante for 8 years and they're identical twins there are bound to be similarity between them. Nero was never raised with neither of them but around church people and a serious adoptive brother and girl pal.

That makes no sense on Dante's lines, Dante insults his enemies up to their face (literally making fun of Beowulf, calling Griffin out, insulting Dagon, cracking jokes at Sanctus, and calling Berial ugly ass, he wasn't vague or insulted around them he was straight up "I don't like you so I'll make fun of you" just like Nero).

No I like Nero.....I just don't like losing arguments/debates.

I've played DMC4 3 times and completely watched the story each time. They're different in their own right but if anything Nero is the only character whose personality is the closest to Dante (minus DMC2) in all of DMC.

Nero is a descendant of Sparda like Dante and Vergil, so why do you find it so odd that he's similar to Dante and Vergil? Upbringing isn't the full picture of what kind of person you will become; it's in the genes as well.

Sure, but Nero is usually more straight up about it than Dante, and uses an ever so slightly different kind of humor. You really think Dante would speak exactly the same words as Nero in cutscenes if he got the chance? Yes, as I said, Nero is very similar to Dante, not the same (which is what you implied). Vergil is too, even though he's much more introverted in most situations.

Nero was meant to be like Sparda, in appearance as well as personality, as is evidenced over and over again, even to the point that Berial tells Nero: ''You are just like he was'' ('he' meaning Sparda, who Berial met 2000 years ago).

Look, I get that we disagree on this, and I see that we can't convince each other otherwise. Therefore, consider this my last post on the subject - no hard feelings, of course.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Nero was meant to be like Sparda, in appearance as well as personality, as is evidenced over and over again, even to the point that Berial tells Nero: ''You are just like he was'' ('he' meaning Sparda, who Berial met 2000 years ago).
The only character between Dante, Vergil and Nero who approximately look like Sparda in appearance is Vergil. For example, their hair are slicked-back(swept back in Vergil's case), they have the same face(Dante also fit this criteria) and they both sports a victorian cravat(black for Vergil and white for his father). By the way, Nero's attire is more dark blue than purple.

Personality wise, there is no chance that Sparda had the same personality as Nero. I dare say that it would be an insult to his character. If the DMC3 manga is canon, then Sparda is suppose to be a mixture of the cool level-headed Vergil and Dante's rebellious behaviour. In general, his personality is mostly unknown, but at least he has a righteous mind post-rebellion and he values honor. At the end of the day, Nero has a more similar personality to Dante than anyone else in the cast. Sad reality.

Top Bottom