• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the Nero hate?

KRSkull

I haven't played DMC4. so there is a lot of things i don't know. but the whole New main character and the whole arm thing makes me wonder. what if the developers of DMC4 saw MGS series and saw how the players hated the idea of a new character. and they saw how Konami brought back Liquid in MGS 2. and thought hmm we can do something cool with those two ideas. we will mix them together so we will have a new main character and we will give him a devil arm. so one day in the future we bring vergil back.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I haven't played DMC4. so there is a lot of things i don't know. but the whole New main character and the whole arm thing makes me wonder. what if the developers of DMC4 saw MGS series and saw how the players hated the idea of a new character. and they saw how Konami brought back Liquid in MGS 2. and thought hmm we can do something cool with those two ideas. we will mix them together so we will have a new main character and we will give him a devil arm. so one day in the future we bring vergil back.

i think it might have been easier to bring vergil back rather than make us jump through all these hoops.

off topic- i find it funny that the blue rose is a modified revolver as one of nero's prototype outfits made him look a little bit like revolver ocelot from metal gear solid.

i guess the main reason people hate him is because of a bad first impression, leaving him to be a character people dont want or need.

I think it would have been better had they downplayed the similarities betwen Dante and him by giving him a more unique outfit and Origin. Rather than make him some rebellious punk who grew up in a poor family, I'd rather they raised him to be the savior of Fortuna, Another Sparda and go from there.

Or just have him be raised by Dante as Dante's kid, using the anime to introduce him as a kid and have DMC4 pick up after 2 with him as a adult and lucia going to find out what happened to Dante.

Reason wh he wasnt in two was because he moved out and tried to live on his own like most twenty year olds. He might be the only way we get any explanation for Dante's behavior in 2 since he is more likely to talk about it than Dante is.

Caiden

i think it might have been easier to bring vergil back rather than make us jump through all these hoops.

off topic- i find it funny that the blue rose is a modified revolver as one of nero's prototype outfits made him look a little bit like revolver ocelot from metal gear solid.

i guess the main reason people hate him is because of a bad first impression, leaving him to be a character people dont want or need.

I think it would have been better had they downplayed the similarities betwen Dante and him by giving him a more unique outfit and Origin. Rather than make him some rebellious punk who grew up in a poor family, I'd rather they raised him to be the savior of Fortuna, Another Sparda and go from there.

Or just have him be raised by Dante as Dante's kid, using the anime to introduce him as a kid and have DMC4 pick up after 2 with him as a adult and lucia going to find out what happened to Dante.

Reason wh he wasnt in two was because he moved out and tried to live on his own like most twenty year olds. He might be the only way we get any explanation for Dante's behavior in 2 since he is more likely to talk about it than Dante is.

I dont think that there were really any hoops to jump through. Now personally I have a different experience with the series as a whole. DMC 4 was the first game I played, from there I bought the collection for ps2 and DMC and DMC 3 are now two of my favorite games. I think I had the most fun with DMC 3 but DMC 4 will always be the game that got me into the series. The problem right now is that we were left with a few unanswered questions at the end of DMC 4 and honestly I thought that we would get a DMC 5 with some more Nero and Dante action, but instead we got......well not that.

I love Dante as a character and I can see why people would be upset that he wasn't in the spotlight, but seriously Dante has done a lot over the three games, manga, and anime. And he still has a leading role in DMC 4. There is really nothing wrong with Nero as a character and I think Capcom was pretty nice to fans with the game. It obvious that they wanted to introduce a new character and they could have easily just thrown Dante aside.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
The only character between Dante, Vergil and Nero who approximately look like Sparda in appearance is Vergil. For example, their hair are slicked-back(swept back in Vergil's case), they have the same face(Dante also fit this criteria) and they both sports a victorian cravat(black for Vergil and white for his father). By the way, Nero's attire is more dark blue than purple.

Personality wise, there is no chance that Sparda had the same personality as Nero. I dare say that it would be an insult to his character. If the DMC3 manga is canon, then Sparda is suppose to be a mixture of the cool level-headed Vergil and Dante's rebellious behaviour. In general, his personality is mostly unknown, but at least he has a righteous mind post-rebellion and he values honor. At the end of the day, Nero has a more similar personality to Dante than anyone else in the cast. Sad reality.

Late reply, I know. My point is: Nero looks like Sparda because of his color scheme. I suppose Vergil looks a bit more like Sparda, yes, but I meant the colors. I don't believe I said Nero wore purple, I said he wore blue and red, which, combined, make purple.

I didn't say Sparda had the same personality as Nero - please read my comment more attentively. His personality is similar to Sparda's considering he isn't always as flippant or cynical as Dante, and can sometimes be almost as serious as Vergil. Aside from that, he's a bit more emotional, which I would expect from Sparda (not from Dante or Vergil as they don't have romantic relationships, while Sparda did).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
MGS2 was a decade ago and MGS4 turned Raiden along for the better but but people still hate him.

Nero's got no shot,

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Late reply, I know. My point is: Nero looks like Sparda because of his color scheme. I suppose Vergil looks a bit more like Sparda, yes, but I meant the colors. I don't believe I said Nero wore purple, I said he wore blue and red, which, combined, make purple.

I didn't say Sparda had the same personality as Nero - please read my comment more attentively. His personality is similar to Sparda's considering he isn't always as flippant or cynical as Dante, and can sometimes be almost as serious as Vergil. Aside from that, he's a bit more emotional, which I would expect from Sparda (not from Dante or Vergil as they don't have romantic relationships, while Sparda did).

Wait as far as I have played DMC1-DMC4 Sparda's personality was never shown. Sparda has never shown to have cried, go on a rampage, violently beat his foes to death, and ever crack jokes. So how would you know that Nero was a lot alike to Sparda since we never seen Sparda at all outside images. Sparda based on the very few things shown about him appears to be more like DMC2 Dante, as in DMC2 it is largely hinted that Dante becomes like his father.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted

You got a life, I can't blame you.

There is plenty of characters in the series who aren't as flippant and cynical as Dante. Dante too can be serious as Vergil, especially in DMC1 and DMC2.

Emotional? There is a high probability that as full-blooded demon and living in an infernal environment, Sparda is the less emotional of those who carries his blood. As I recall, when Dante said to Trish what his mother told him about Sparda, Eva said that he was fighting for the weak, he was courageous and he had a righteous heart. There was no mention of him being emotional. Being emotional led Nero to be one with the Savior. Being emotional almost got Dante kill by Trish in the third Nightmare battle.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Wait as far as I have played DMC1-DMC4 Sparda's personality was never shown. Sparda has never shown to have cried, go on a rampage, violently beat his foes to death, and ever crack jokes. So how would you know that Nero was a lot alike to Sparda since we never seen Sparda at all outside images. Sparda based on the very few things shown about him appears to be more like DMC2 Dante, as in DMC2 it is largely hinted that Dante becomes like his father.

Late reply again. I keep saying that he's similar to Sparda, not the same as him. Of course we didn't see Sparda cry, and I don't expect him to - crying isn't the same as being emotional. I'm saying that Sparda was a more emotionally complete person than Dante and Vergil, so to speak. He married somebody, which I don't see Dante or Vergil do EVER. I've never even noticed Dante being in love; he does feel love, but not romantic love, as far as I've seen - just like Vergil doesn't. And before you start saying he loves Trish, no he does not. She looks like his mother, for crying out loud. Besides, he never shows more affection to her than to a close friend or family member.

I never said anything about him joking around, and I never said anything about him crying. Please take everything I say as literally as possible, unless the context warrants otherwise, okay? That's how you're supposed to read text anyway.

I believe my original point - the one that started all this - was that Nero was meant to resemble Sparda in personality as well as appearance. This holds true. Yes, Vergil looks more like Sparda than Nero, but he doesn't wear purple or blue and red. Nero married somebody, and Sparda did too. The whole theme of DMC4 was that love gives you power, and as Nero can eventually do as much as Dante, it's clear that romantic feelings especially give him power.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You got a life, I can't blame you.

There is plenty of characters in the series who aren't as flippant and cynical as Dante. Dante too can be serious as Vergil, especially in DMC1 and DMC2.

Emotional? There is a high probability that as full-blooded demon and living in an infernal environment, Sparda is the less emotional of those who carries his blood. As I recall, when Dante said to Trish what his mother told him about Sparda, Eva said that he was fighting for the weak, he was courageous and he had a righteous heart. There was no mention of him being emotional. Being emotional led Nero to be one with the Savior. Being emotional almost got Dante kill by Trish in the third Nightmare battle.

Yes, Dante can be serious too, but that's not the point. The point is: he most often isn't. In general, Dante is flippant and cynical, and serious only when necessary - that's his usual emotional state or personality, whereas Vergil is most often serious, and practically never makes jokes.

That's possible, but Sparda still married somebody, which is something I'd never see Dante or Vergil do, because they're simply not capable of being so emotionally invested. Dante never fought for the weak, he fought just for the fun of killing demons, and of course money and all the pizza in the world. Again, that tells me Sparda cares more about people than Dante and Vergil do, at least about people who are in need.

Being emotional led Sparda to save the human world. Your turn.

Caiden

Yes, Dante can be serious too, but that's not the point. The point is: he most often isn't. In general, Dante is flippant and cynical, and serious only when necessary - that's his usual emotional state or personality, whereas Vergil is most often serious, and practically never makes jokes.

That's possible, but Sparda still married somebody, which is something I'd never see Dante or Vergil do, because they're simply not capable of being so emotionally invested. Dante never fought for the weak, he fought just for the fun of killing demons, and of course money and all the pizza in the world. Again, that tells me Sparda cares more about people than Dante and Vergil do, at least about people who are in need.

Dante has acknowledged that having a heart and emotions are what make the difference between being human and demon and that even a human can become worst than a demon. Sparda fought to protect humanity. Dante fights because he wants to and he usually gets to help someone out along the way.

Remember Nero says that Sparda had a heart that could love a human. That to me already makes him seem more emotional. Vergil and Dante also loved a human but like you said its not something they show very often.

Personally I always compared Nero to Vergil but now that I think about it Nero is pretty similar to Sparda based off what we know about him.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted

DMC1's intro clearly states that he only woke up to justice, thus led him to save the human world. Genuine respect for people doesn't mean that you are an emotional person. Plus it's been four game already and no where was it stated that he was emotional. As of now, it is only conjecture or wishful thinking on your part.

It would be kind of you of telling me what kind of emotional state you think the Legendary Dark Knight was suppose to have at his rebellion because this piece of information can be decisive to accelerate the processus of putting Nero in is grave once and for all(figuratively speaking, of course).

aoshi

I liked nero. He was the kinda demon i wanted as a video-game protagonist. He was impulsive, emotional, stressed out and jus wanted the devil in him to protect his loved ones.He also kinda reminds me of inu yasha who used both a sword and his bare hands to fight demons. His red queen was more badass than dante's rebellion. Can't say much about blue rose. I detest demons using fire-arms. When, out of reflex, in DT, i started firing ebony and ivory and i was like " wat the hell is this with this demon?". But charge-shots of blue rose do come in handy in DT - works kinda like summoned swords of vergil.

The only reason nero did not get the respect as dante cuz he did not face demons that were out of his league like dante did. They were jus dummies that nero jus threw around , except when he underestimated the saviour ofcourse or got tricked with kyrie getting involved.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think if dmc4 actually advanced the plot and answered questions from old games and itself, tying up loose ends people might have liked him better since DMC4 would not have been seen as a Filler story.

Or atleast had nero's origins been cleared up, people might have been less frustrated at the lack of answers.

Age of Nero

The End is the Beginning is the End!
I began with DMC 4 but seen cutscenes to that vs. DMC 3- they both seem great, but I've only played 4 so far & grew onto Nero quick. I love his character to the max. Dante seems awesome too. And what I've seen of Vergil on the cutscenes, he also seems pretty cool! :p
I hope they bring Nero back, but with Dante & Vergil- all 3 playables! :D

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
The way I see it, most of the Nero dislike harbors from the fact he takes the games' spotlight away from Dante, which I actually understand and is rather justifiable. But as a character, I find him likable, personality-wise at least, and ignoring the fact we know next to nothing about his story.

Nero just seemed to me like a better version of DMC3 young Dante: he was cocky, sylish and trash-talk, but had none of that arrogant, indiferent and prickish attitude that Dante had towards everyone and everything. He actually seemed to have a sense of responsibility, actually cared for other people from the start and, most importantly, he had a struggle, something DMC3 Dante lacked for the most part. Every good hero, video game or not, has to have a struggle to be interesting, IMO, even if it's something trivial. Dante fans were probably too fond of the idea of a hero not giving a crap about anything and just doing things for fun than when they made the contrast, Nero looked too angsty. But I think he fulfilled his role as central protagonist much better than Dante ever has, and surprisingly, Dante fulfilled his new role as deuteragonist perfectly. I can't honestly see how DMC4 would have worked if it had been all about Dante going to fight the Order of the Sword just because, while Nero is the one with a story full of conflict (just think, DMC2 all over again, where Lucia was the one with the conflict, while Dante just happened to be there).

Top Bottom