• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the Nero hate?

Caiden

Heh, to be fair, I actually hate DMC3... *puts up flame shield and runs to bunker* ._.

I like DMC 3 but everyone has an opinion and shouldn't be flamed for it. In terms of DMC 4 story that has little to do with this thread but I will try to connect it. Most game story line fall under a category now. You can usually compare the story of a game to a different game. So I believe that characters make the story more than the actual story.

I like Nero because he is a lone wolf, rebellious teen, that isn't afraid to show emotion. I am more interested in what happens to Nero than I am the story as a whole. If I was more interested in the pure story than I would probably be let down by most games.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So being fun to play doesn't matter anymore? A game has to have the perfect story as well?
That's not what I said. Gameplay is the most important thing, but story is becoming just as important as more games start putting more attention into their stories. If every other franchise has both and yours only delivers on the gameplay then your one step behind them.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
That child came and left without giving us a rational explanation on his connections with Sparda's family. Plus he is the main character of a game with a laughable story.

KtWtWiS43

Holy crap, I agree with everyone.
1. Love Nero's character and potrayal by Johnny Young Bosch. Really brought something fresh and new into the series I hadn't seen before. Johnny's acting and passion really came through in his performance.
2. Hate that Nero's story/any kind of story in general (... please?) wasn't written for DMC4. Metal Gear Solid 2 managed to rock my socks off with Raiden as the main character and Snake sitting shotgun. And why? Because it had a good story. DMC4 could've really taken a hint from Hideo's team.

berto

I Saw the Devil
That child came and left without giving us a rational explanation on his connections with Sparda's family. Plus he is the main character of a game with a laughable story.
I honestly blame Capcom. I think that they wanted to change the design themes from horror ones to anime. They did something similar with Onimusha; if you look at the design of the first 3 games and Dawn of Dreams one looks like a Samurai story that has heavy supernatural themes while the other started to shift from supernatural to fantasy in many ways. The models went from actual actors (Takeshi Kaneshiro/Jean Reno) to very anime designed characters. Their attempt to appeal to a female audience blew up in their faces and we were left with out Samanosuke.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
If you guys read the DMC4 Deadly Fortune Novel made by Bingo Morishita the guy wrote the story and plot for DMC3 & DMC4 it actually explains a lot about Nero or sums his entire life in a nutshell and combine that with Bingo leaving Capcom.....makes you suspicious.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, it's never been translated so Ï've only read the summerý. You know of a translation?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well, it's never been translated so Ï've only read the summerý. You know of a translation?

Yeah but I forgot where and its an unofficial translation and it gotta be downloaded.....I know someone here in this section of this forum made a thread about it and gave a link to a place where it can be downloaded plus I know people who read it and told me about it. I read it too myself but I only read a textual translation not the actual picture, text, and all.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Is this a full translation or the summery from Devil's Lair? If it's a download then I guess it's not. Was it a PDF?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Is this a full translation or the summery from Devil's Lair? If it's a download then I guess it's not. Was it a PDF?

....................Yeah I think it is Devil's Lair as for the last question.....full translation.....I don't remember I don't remember but wait I think they do or maybe it was another site but it was in Japanese and it was missing a lot of pages but came with a translation guide for even missing pages.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, I couldn't find it here. I went back all the way to 2009 when it was published. I only found two threads and they both lead to this one, and that's just the summery...

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well, I couldn't find it here. I went back all the way to 2009 when it was published. I only found two threads and they both lead to this one, and that's just the summery...

...........well sh*t try to find the person who made the summaries they must've read it or found some sort of source....I did that and he gave me only a scripted detail(sorta like reading a play book) no pictures and etc.

Overall its just DMC4 with some extra scenes, and even the extra scenes didn't have much dialogue, and they added extra lines and stuff to already existing things to the story like Nero seeing Vergil in a vision of his when Agnus impaled him.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, the one who made the summery was CaT and she made it from reading the novel. She refused to make a full translation because the last translation she made was ripped off by other sites without giving her credit so she refuces to put in the effort again.

ThanatosPL

Nero also said in that scene something about the day when his arm changed and voice echo in his head, it could be Vergil right ? :D
I think DMC 4 story was not bad and Nero kick ass ;) It just didnt explain nothing about his origin and it was another separated story. For me they need to back to original DMC universe after DmC and explain every aspect which is mystery for now. DMC4 ending was so hearttouching, Nero asked Dante will they meet again... I hope they do :D

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think most of the hate had to do with the fact that most people feel that they didn't want or need Nero. I'm sure no player was like "lets jump twenty years and have Dante live vicariously through his clone/nephew/half-brother whatever". They would have preferred more Young Dante or more likely a Vergil spinoff.

You cant change that but that doesn't mean he's a bad character.

I felt most of the hate outside of that fact was preventable as it had to do with how he was presented which meant it could be avoided.

People thought the game was filler because it didn't answer any of the loose threads left by the past games or even questions like how Nero was connected to Dante or how he got his arm etc.

Even it's place in the timeline is vague as the dev team couldn't decide whether or not it takes place before DMC2.

So I rather have those questions answered than waste a sequel answering what should have been answered in this game.

mrrandomlulz brought up a good point about being forced to play as him. And the whole "play 12 missions as Nero, play 7 as Dante, and switch back to Nero to finish the last two missions" is stupid.

I rather it been more like kingdom hearts birth by sleep where you could choose to play one of three separate characters from start to finish.

you wouldn't feel that one character steals the spotlight from the other or you are forced to play as someone you don't like. Plus each character has enough time to go through their own unique arc so you don't feel that Dante or Trish were underused. As well as less backtracking .

ThanatosPL

I think most of the hate had to do with the fact that most people feel that they didn't want or need Nero. I'm sure no player was like "lets jump twenty years and have Dante live vicariously through his clone/nephew/half-brother whatever". They would have preferred more Young Dante or more likely a Vergil spinoff.

You cant change that but that doesn't mean he's a bad character.

I felt most of the hate outside was preventable as it had to do with how he was presented which meant it could be avoided.
I cant understand why you dont like him ? ok, he said Kyrie's name many times but it doesn't make him bad character.
He is very familar to DMC3 Dante, young, arrogant but not experienced, ofc he also has some separeted attitudes.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I cant understand why you dont like him ? ok, he said Kyrie's name many times but it doesn't make him bad character.
He is very familar to DMC3 Dante, young, arrogant but not experienced, ofc he also has some separeted attitudes.
Read it again, you'll get it.

I didn't actually bring up the romance and personally I don't mind as it's that awkward first relationship or two kindergardeners pretending to love as Railazel described.

Kyrie is not that interesting tho.

But that's the rub isn't it? Why should I play as a guy that's similar to young Dante when I could just play the real thing?

The main problem with Nero was that he feels like a hodgepodge of Dante and Vergil in both design and persona so I would have preferred him to stand out more in those areas.

The DMC4 art book actually had concept art that made him stand out in terms of design and persona so those should have been used instead of his final design. Atleast give him his own color.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Heh, to be fair, I actually hate DMC3... *puts up flame shield and runs to bunker* ._.
what-did-you-just-say-thumb.jpg

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I find DMC3 to be my least favorite of the series and DMC2 is my favorite. And no, I'm not just trolling and being really bad at it, that's really my honest opinion.

Oh I believe you. I prefer DMC2 Dante clothes over DMC3 Dante's clothes for a few reasons myself.

Top Bottom